AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you get a Pioneer 5060 over the Panny 8UK?

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  ChopOMatic 
#1 ·
Ok, I got the 8UK was about to mount it. But I realize that the 8UK is only a few hundred dollars less than Pioneer 5060HD.

I paid a bit more for the 8UK at Costco in order to get their amazing return policy. But given the fact that I have to get a HDMI blade etc., a few hundred dollars more for the 5060 seems like a no brainer.

Is the picture for the 5060 far superior than the 8UK? Thanks.

#5 ·
Hi,

I bought a 50" and 42" 8UK. They look great, but I paid more than most b/c I got them from Costco.

Since prices are falling and I have the ability to take them back, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Here are my options:

1. I can get the Pioneer 5060 online for about the same price as a 50" 8UK with an HDMI blade;

2. I can get the Pioneer 5070 online for about $700 more than the 8UK

3. I can get the Pioneer Elite 1130 for about $1000 more than the 8UK

Would you return the 8UK for any of these three Pioneers? And do I need to worry about buying a Pioneer online (e.g. warranty issues, etc.)?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden
Hi,

I bought a 50" and 42" 8UK. They look great, but I paid more than most b/c I got them from Costco.

Since prices are falling and I have the ability to take them back, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Here are my options:

1. I can get the Pioneer 5060 online for about the same price as a 50" 8UK with an HDMI blade;

2. I can get the Pioneer 5070 online for about $700 more than the 8UK

3. I can get the Pioneer Elite 1130 for about $1000 more than the 8UK

Would you return the 8UK for any of these three Pioneers? And do I need to worry about buying a Pioneer online (e.g. warranty issues, etc.)?

Thanks.
Yes, just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer, if it's the 1130, authorized local stores only, no online.

#8 ·
I have both a Pioneer 4360 and a Panasonic 50PHD6UY and don't see a big differerence in picture quality. Video fanatics will undoubtedly find differences, but as far as enjoying a movie or ball game, there is no difference. If I had to replace the 6UY at this time, I would probably get another Pany commercial because I only use it with cable and DVD, so that the Pio media receiver would just add noise and consume power. There is also a risk of a problem in buying any new TV that you have already gotten past with the 8UK.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden
Thanks, guys.

Kampfer - given the price and quality differences, which Pioneer would you opt for?

Thanks.
That's the hardest questions for all the Pio fans right now, everyone is debating between the new Elites, be out in a month or 2, the 1130, the clearanced 5060 (great prices if you can find them) and the new 5070. I'd shop around for the 5070, something about that tv's picture just wows me (not the dynamic cartoonish wow.) Shop around, or wait a little while, when supplies get higher the price will get better as well.

#11 ·
At first I was leaning towards the 5060 because of the media box and price. And I hate the speaker on the bottom of the 5070.

Then again, I could always get a receiver and hook it up to the TV with an HDMI cable. Someone brought up a good point - if the media box dies, that's a costly fix (if replacement boxes aren't around).

#12 ·
What's the difference if the parts are in a separate box or the panel itself? If, say, an HDMI input goes bad in the panel, it must either be fixed onsite or the entire panel shipped off. With the Media Box you could get that replaced or at least shipped & fixed a lot easier.

I have a 5060 and am a fan of the media box. I also like the side speaker arrangement (should I ever elect to use them).

The only reason I kind of wish that I'd waited for the 70 series would have been to get the 60"; but that's a lot more $$; and I'm not sure if I really want a 60" 720P panel.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepb
Kampfer - just curious, why do you only recommend buying an 1130 from a local authorized dealer, but the others are OK to buy from an online authorized dealer?

Elites can only be sold in B&M stores, but other models can be sold on line from authorized internet dealers if you want a warranty with your set. You are taking a crap shoot on the warranty if you are buying an Elite on line.

B

#15 ·
Quote:
Kampfer - just curious, why do you only recommend buying an 1130 from a local authorized dealer, but the others are OK to buy from an online authorized dealer?
Well bubba already gave you an answer. Elites also come with a 2 year warranty so that's a heart breaking warranty to lose.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html

those are authorized online dealers for each Pio product, make sure whoever you buy online from has the plasma you want on that list.

I've met a guy who bought a Fujitsu from a private dealer online, his tv broke after 2 years, no warranty, had to spend another 4 grand to buy a new tv.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer
Well bubba already gave you an answer. Elites also come with a 2 year warranty so that's a heart breaking warranty to lose.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html

those are authorized online dealers for each Pio product, make sure whoever you buy online from has the plasma you want on that list.

I've met a guy who bought a Fujitsu from a private dealer online, his tv broke after 2 years, no warranty, had to spend another 4 grand to buy a new tv.

Note to self...

Do not buy Fujitsu.

#19 ·
Perhaps I'm biased but...Fujitsu plasmas are widely thought to be the best. A story about 1 failure shouldn't disuade anyone from buying one. BTW, Fujitsus are warranteed for 3 years glass and electronics - longer than any other PDP manufacturer (and they've manufactured them longer than anyone else so they must be doing something right...) It's easy to avoid any potential problems - buy only from an authorized dealer - not online. Fujitsu clearly states this on there plasmavision.com website.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkout
Authorized dealer or not, if the TV only lasts 2 years, it's time to buy another brand.
sorry, I didn't mean to blast Fujitsu. I personally feel it is one of the best built plasma out there. There are tons of people that own Fujitsu and had no problems. If you are going to not buy a plasma due to 1 failure, you'll never buy a tv.

If a tv comes with a more than 1 year warranty, I'd trust it as a good built brand for them to have the courage to attach something like that on the tv. (except for the LG)

#21 ·
Are you having problems with the 8UK? Is the image not up to your standards? I wouldn't bother trading the 8UK for a 5060, but maybe the elite because I love its styling, heh. However, 1k isn't really worth it for styling for me. I would just keep the 8UK, maybe buy a couple of hdmi blades and get it isf calibrated. I don't think the 5060 or elite will offer a vastly superior image, just a different one. In the end you should do whatever you think will make you happy though.

#23 ·
Quote:
Fujitsu just OEMs glass from Panasonic, right? That's just a small part of the "big picture" (har har) when it comes to PDPs, but they're similar at the very least.
only the 51 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.