AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1.85:1 on Panasonic Plasmas?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bvader 
#1 ·
Sorry to bother you guys with what might seem a petty concern, but can you Panasonic plasma owners tell me if your set displays the 1.85:1 aspect ratio properly -- with bars (though slight ones) on top & bottom. I'm asking because I've read somewhere that the overscan on Panasonic sets makes 1.85 content "fit" the screen. I do notice that on my brother's 50" Panasonic commercial model (couple years old) that I simply cannot get a 1.85 film to display with the correct slight letterboxing, and so I assume the set is just chopping off a little on the sides. I'm seriously considering the Panasonic 37PX60U, but not being able to view 1.85 content properly might make me decide on the 37" LG LCD set. I know the difference between 1.78 and 1.85 isn't much to whine about (if the Panasonics just won't do it), but I'd still prefer to have the proper letterboxing on the films I watch.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff D.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
There is 2-3% overscan built into the Panasonic 37PX60u so your answer is no.

DAMN! :mad: (but thanks for the info, D-Nice). Is this percent of overscan peculiar to the Panasonics? Maybe they designed it so there would be letterboxing ONLY on 2.35 material? Whatever, thanks again.

Jeff D.

#5 ·
This is more likely do to the little words... "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's" on many 1.85:1 DVDs which means the the 1.85 is fudged/fitted/overscanned to the fit the 16x9 screen.

#6 ·
on your brother's commercial model overscan can be adjusted quite easily with the remote using the picture pos./size button. So to answer your question, yes you can see the 1.85:1 OAR correctly if you adjust the overscan on the display, and to ensure that you get the correct geometry it would be best if you used a callibration DVD like DVE to adjust the aspect ratio.

#7 ·
Let me rephrase.... and I am sure you know this...

so as rlshky suggested use DVE and adjust the Overscan so that you get a properly sized 1:85.1 image displayed. However this will probably do you little good because most modern 1:85.1 Anamorphic "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" DVDs will actually display in 16x9 format (1.78:1), only the rare dvd that is not "Enhanced" and are very specifically "perserving" OAR will actually be 1:85.1

If I am wrong, and I often am...maybe someone can correct me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.