Help buying 50" Panny - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this forum, but I have done a lot of searching prior to posting this thread. I am pretty set on getting a 50" Panasonic plasma, so my question is, which one should i get? The options seem to be:

TH-50PHD8UK
TH-50PX60U
TH-50PX600U
TH-50PX50U (older generation)

I am not sure if i know the difference b/w the TH-50PHD8UK and the TH-50PX60U, and could not find it on this forum after a lot of searching. Any recommendations?

I am trying to cut the price as much as I can, so am I sacrificing a lot by going with the older generation (TH-50PX50U)?

Should I wait until the 10th generation comes out prior to buying one of the 9th generation TVs?

Prices seem to be out of the scope for this forum, but what are the general impressions for buying such an expensive TV from online retailers? I have read mixed articles about it voiding manufacturer's warranty. Any comments?

I appreciate any responses, thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 PM

I'd say that if you can find the 50PX50U for a good price and you don't need the second HDMI port grab that one. The 50PX50U is a great set. It also has CableCard if that's important to you. Just because it's an older generation panel doesn't mean it's not as good. Some on this forum even think it's better then the newer generation.

You can wait forever for something better/cheaper to come along. It's the nature of technology. If it meets your buying point now then purchase it and don't look back.

In terms of buying online. It's a big piece of fragile equipment. I'd want to find a place that I could return it easily (It's not easy to return large TV's anywhere) if something is wrong. This is coming from someone who purchases almost everything from the net.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

The 8UK is a industrial version. Fewer built in connections (but overal greater input flexibility), more adjustable picture settings, but no tuner, no speakers, no stand.

It sells at the lowest price of the lot, but you will has no frills. Personally, it was the perfect option for me. Ordered mine today.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any definitive news on the release date of the next generation of these TVs? I again searched the forum for this but found nothing concrete. If it is soon, I can hold off and purchase the TH-50PX60U.

Thanks again guys.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard
Is there any definitive news on the release date of the next generation of these TVs? I again searched the forum for this but found nothing concrete. If it is soon, I can hold off and purchase the TH-50PX60U.

Thanks again guys.
The 60U/600Us just came out in the last couple of months so it will be another year before you see the next generation.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I read posts from back in January about people trying to purchase the 60U/600U, if not before that.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought I read posts from back in January about people trying to purchase the 60U/600U, if not before that.
The first sightings were in January at the CES show, but these were not shipping to retail stores until the last week of March.

The 60/600 series is the 2006 model, and is current.

The 9UK industrial model is expected to begin shipping at the end of this month.
The 8UK first started shipping in August/September of 2005.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 09:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I am new to this forum, but I have done a lot of searching prior to posting this thread. I am pretty set on getting a 50" Panasonic plasma, so my question is, which one should i get? The options seem to be:

TH-50PHD8UK
TH-50PX60U
TH-50PX600U
TH-50PX50U (older generation)
Historically, some individuals preferred to buy Panasonic's commercial PDP series monitors, which lack many features/connection interfaces found in the consumer PDP series TVs, to save money. Currently, the 50" 8UK and 600U series PDPs have virtually the same MSRP: ~$4000. Add the cost of (2):

Panasonic TY-42TM6D Plasma Display Video Cards for Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK (TH50PHD8UK). RGB (Digital) Terminal Board (DVI-D w/HDCP) for $175 each...

and you still won't have the internal ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners, CableCARD slot, EPG, digital sound/speakers, added component, composite, S-Video, (2) HDMI connections, optical digital sound out and SD memory card slot. Why even consider an 8/9UK at this point?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I guess the only two models that I am considering now are the TH-50PX60U
and TH-50PX50U. I have had very mixed responses on purchasing it online or at a B&M. I really want to save money, and to me it seems that purchasing online is more of a personal comfort level thing.

Does anyone think prices will drop even more by mid/end August?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah I guess the only two models that I am considering now are the TH-50PX60U
and TH-50PX50U. I have had very mixed responses on purchasing it online or at a B&M. I really want to save money, and to me it seems that purchasing online is more of a personal comfort level thing.

Does anyone think prices will drop even more by mid/end August?
I bought mine at Circuit City online - never had to talk to a salesman. Both CC and Best Buy have had sales on Panny TVs with very attractive prices.

Most likely prices will drop further. Last year Panasonic reduced their MSRP but there is no way of telling if they do it again.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM

I just purchased the 60U at an incredible price at hhgregg, assuming you have one in your vicinity. It was $400 less than CC & BB's sales prices. Still waiting on the stock to replenish to actually receive it though ;) (thus the steep cut in price I assume)
post #12 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I suspect that now that many people want 2 HDMI ports and a tuner (or 2) for OTA HD, the commercial panels will be less attractive. Of course, if you're using an external tuner and don't need the HDMI connector, the commercial panel is still a good deal.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page