Hitachi 42HDX62 vs. Panasonic TH-42PX60 (plus a ridiculous BB experience) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, my ridiculous Best Buy experience. I had been considering buying the Panny for a couple of weeks now, and went to my local Best Buy to check it out again. I wanted to check out some of the features of the TV, and see if I could improve on the poor "out of the box" picture that BB uses. However, when I requested the remote so I could access the features of the TV, the guy at the TV counter told me they don't have the remotes, because the customers were walking off with them. Wow :eek: Here I am, looking to spend over 2k at their store, and I can't even take the product on a proper "test ride". Needless to say, I simply walked out of the store, and drove to the Magnolia AV store down the street.

They had the Panny there, along with the 42in director's series Hitachi. Comparing the two models side by side, it appeared that the Hitachi had a superior picture, even after tuning the Panasonic (they let me handle the remote at Magnolia!) and getting what I thought was pretty close to the best picture for the panel. I hadn't even researched the Hitachi, or even looked at it at any of the other store visits I had made before, but I was quite impressed with its picture quality. It seemed to me that it approached the quality of the Pioneer Elite that was hanging with the other displays.

Now the Hitachi was quite a bit more expensive, but there was also a open box model on display that was roughly the same price as the Panny. I asked the store employee who was talking with me about the displays about provenance of the display, and after some digging he found that it had been sold to someone who returned it in short order after finding they could get a better deal on the display elsewhere.

Now, I'm a little nervous with buying an open box item, especially on a plasma, but at first blush, it seemed the display was in fine working order, and the quality of the picture seemed superior to the Panny.

So I'm wondering, does anybody else have experience comparing these displays? What are their relative strengths/weaknesses? I'm specifically wondering about the ALiS glass for the Hitachi, and what burnout reduction features the Hitachi has. I'm also worried about going for the Hitachi if it's been on display (They were running the contrast pretty high on the set), and I'm worried about the wear and tear it's undergone during it's "first 100 hours"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I would get that hitachi. The hitachis at magnolia are the directors series, better quality and features than the one at the other stores.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So basically what you're saying is you walked out of Best Buy and into Best Buy-owned Magnolia Audio Video? Way to stick it to the man!

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

In all seriousness, though, the Hitachi should have greater burn-in resistance than the other sets around it. ALiS glass means Alternate Lighting of Surfaces, basically meaning that half of the phosphors are lit at a time, and then the others are lit. That means phosphors are turned for about half the total time that they are active on other sets, meaning, in theory, it should be more difficult to burn them in.

I really like that Director's Series!

post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Liked: 12
.............. At Different Stores.

Went to CC and they could not find the remotes. Went to HHgregg and got to play with all the displays.
I too was looking at the panny. Seen the Hitachi could not get away from it and now it's at the house.
If you are not going to wall mount the swivel base is really nice. Not a gadget. Very usefull.

To look at the hours on the open box, do a menu, menu, 8, select within a few seconds. On mine I scroll to the second screen and the hours are there.

The hitachi has a anti burn method shifting a few pixels every 20 seconds in different directions. The time setting has a few options. It also has a white "Screen Wipe" feature for image retention if in the event it happens.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 09:17 AM

I compared the Directors Series with Panny 60Uat Magnolia with my sister a few months back. We too concluded that the Director Series had the edge, she bought it (42" version) and is very happy with it.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So basically what you're saying is you walked out of Best Buy and into Best Buy-owned Magnolia Audio Video? Way to stick it to the man!
Yeah, yeah yeah, I know, I'm still a corporate loser ;)

Quote:
To look at the hours on the open box, do a menu, menu, 8, select within a few seconds. On mine I scroll to the second screen and the hours are there.
I'm not so concerned about the hours on the set, except in so much as the set has been using very high contrast for that amount of time. But the source material they've been showing at those levels has filled the screen, and switches pretty frequently, so burn in shouldn't be an issue. I'm just not sure the low settings are recommended during the "break in" period for other reasons.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbilliken
Yeah, yeah yeah, I know, I'm still a corporate loser ;)
Well, at least you got to use the remote!

I just felt like hassling you, since I used to work in a BB/Magnolia store-in-a-store. ;) We didn't have remotes out either, in the BB part, anyway.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What the BB geek *really* meant to say was: "Whoever set this display up put the remote & the manual in a bag and threw them in a box in the backroom. I could go back there and dig around in the box to see if I can find it, but that sounds a lot like work. Instead I'll just blame it on the customers and hope you stop bothering me so I can go play some xbox 360 or maybe go hit on that new chick working register #4. I'm paid by the hour, so it's all the same to me..."

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
What the BB geek *really* meant to say was: "Whoever set this display up put the remote & the manual in a bag and threw them in a box in the backroom. I could go back there and dig around in the box to see if I can find it, but that sounds a lot like work. Instead I'll just blame it on the customers and hope you stop bothering me so I can go play some xbox 360 or maybe go hit on that new chick working register #4. I'm paid by the hour, so it's all the same to me..."

Good observation.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds terrifyingly accurate, based on my experience working at BB! Of course, I was the guy that my manager always shook his head at, because I could sell like crazy, but somebody would ask me for the remote and I would scour the store for half an hour when I could have sold a ton in the meantime.

I'm going to invent a remote-management system for Best Buy someday, and I will make millions. It really isnt' that they want to keep the remotes from people, it's like someone mentioned - the effort involved in FINDING the dang things!

post #12 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Yes, the organizing of remotes and manuals at best buy is horrible. At my store, it is seriously about a 20 minute mission to find the remote, that is if it hasn't already been lost/stolen. Half of the display tv's at my store have missing remotes. As for comparing the two tv's, I would get the hitachi hands down. The hitachi director's series are one of the best bang for the buck plasmas out there. I don't like the 60u at all. The 50u was much better. I don't know if they used a crappy processor or what, but the skin tones are horrible and digital looking. I have heard people describe faces on the tv as "clay faces" or "water paintings." If you want to see what I am talking about set the picture menu to the vivid mode. It is a lot better if you don't have it on vivid.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page