Questions from a soon to be Plasma owner... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After going to Sears, HH Gregg, and Best Buy for four nights in a row (much to my wife's despair) I have finally decided on a replacement for my old Rear projection HDTV. I will be buying the Samsung HP-S5053 50" Plasma HDTV. The picture quality was absolutely stunning. Best HD picture I have ever seen. It edged out the new silver 42" Hitachi Plasma and the Sony XBR 50" LCoS. I had a few questions because I have never owned a Plasma TV. How is the Audio as related to having a Home Theater receiver? Will I experience the dreaded audio lag? My receiver doesn't have a sync function so I was going to buy a felston sync device for $250 just to be safe. If I have the lag, will it just be on HD cable box or also with DVDs and HD DVDs? Also, I have read a lot about the break in time on Plasmas. What are the precautions that I need to take with my new set? I do appreciate any comments that would answer some or all of these questions.

Thanks...

<><

<><

RTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Audio Lag has been linked to Samsung's DNiE processing before, but on the new plasmas, DNiE can be disabled, unlike the old ones. The new Samsung is very nice...I recently read a BusinessWeek article about the way they develop new products now...very interesting. With their approach, it's no surprise that their new LCD and Plasma products are doing so well!

Back to the point...I wouldn't purchase the audio lag device yet - you probably won't have a problem. My plasma (not a Samsung) doesn't have any lag on audio, and I'm using an AVR for sound.

Good luck! Enjoy it! I love my set, and I'm sure you'll feel the same!

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity what Plasma do you own?

Thanks...

<><

<><

RTR
post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
NEC 42XR4. It's my first HDTV!

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER
I have read a lot about the break in time on Plasmas. What are the precautions that I need to take with my new set?
Try and be reasonably cautious with your new PDP, especially during the first 100 hours of operation... display no black bars, vary your program/content viewing, refrain from gaming, displaying static images/tickers and do not run the panel in "torch" mode.

Panasonic's white paper...

Plasma Facts and Myths Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective

provides some good guidelines to follow regarding the appropriate break in procedures to use, which is applicable to all PDPs.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Try and be reasonably cautious with your new PDP, especially during the first 100 hours of operation... display no black bars, vary your program/content viewing, refrain from gaming, displaying static images/tickers and do not run the panel in "torch" mode.
thanks for the read on Plasmas from Panasonic. And thanks to everyone for the great answers. I have the Pioneer 1015 that has no lip sync fix on it and I was thinking of ordering a lip sync device but td told me not to until I get the TV. Do any of you have both your video and audio going through your receiver? That is my plan right now. I have a Comcast HD box and a Onkyo DVD changer as well as a HD DVD player that I have had Very, very, minor lip sync problems only with the HD box. Maybe have noticed it probably a handful of times in 2 years but it always fixes itself. Never noticed it on dvd. I had a Mitsubishi HD rear projection CRT 55 " before with all the same equipment I will use with my new TV. I wonder if I will get the same results and not have any trouble? Also, td, I noticed you have a 42" Plasma. I was very tempted in getting the new 42" Hitachi Plasma. It has an incredibly great picture on it but I kept thinking I would miss the size of my old 55" and decided on the 50" Samsung but I have not gotten it or ordered it yet. I keep flip flopping on what to get. My room is about a 12x20 (not huge at all) and the 55" was definitely too big for it. I don't think the 50" Samsung will be too big but I was wondering if the 42" Hitachi will be too small? What size is your room and are you happy with the 42"? Is it big enough? thanks again for your time and the Plasma education. :D

<><

<><

RTR
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2006, 10:10 AM

I've experienced no audio sync problems with my setup: 50PX50U, SA8300HD-DVR, SA PowerKEY CableCARD, OPPO OPDV971H DVD player and Onkyo TX-SR600. My 6.1 channel receiver (and SA8300) are rather old by current A/V standards and it supports only component, composite/S-Video switching. My experience has been unless you're using really high-end equipment (e.g. iScan VP30) it’s best to make video connections directly between the input device and your TV.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page