New plasmas with built in electronics versus separate box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I was recently looking around at Pioneer plasmas (Elite models), I was told by a sales rep that all versions of the new plasma tv's will not have a separate box with all of the connections and processing power. Since I am dealing with a wife who doesn't mind a ridiculous tv, but puts her foot down to the idea of getting a tv where we mount it on the wall, but have 3000 cables hanging down from the tv, this is a big issue. Did the sales person have any clue what they were talking about, or do all of the new Elite model tv's actually have the electronics built it, so you have to run every cable all the way up to the tv?

Also, how much better are the Pioneer Elite PRO1140 tv's than their predecessor, the 1130? If they are much, much better than the previous, then the form factor problem of having no set-top box might be a moot point, since I don't want a far inferior tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 AM

you won't have any more cables hanging from it than usual. MOst people have 2 sources hooked up to the TV. A cable or sat box, and a dvd player, right?

2 sources = 2 HDMI cables, add one more for power. Total = 3 cables. there you have it. With the old media box, you still had 2 cables going to the plasma plus a power cable. Essentially, it is the same.

Now, if you are running component cables plus audio cabesl, it could become messy. That is why you should use the HDMI.

I ran the 2 HDMIs through the wall, and get an elctrician to put a power cbale at the plasma location.

or you can get one of these:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/pro...C.OMS.TRIA.JPG
post #3 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow! 2 cables? That must be nice. What about antenna feeds? Audio and video out? Control cables? probably others I'm not thinking about at the moment. Plus the weight and heat added to the display. If you are using an articulating mount managing all those cables is a nightmare.

Seperate media boxes are the only way to go.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM

Eric and Pholiday, get an A/V switching Receiver.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Does including the electronics in the display affect temperature or burn-in? The sales rep said that including the electronics in the box would increase temp and make burn-in worse. Is he completely full of crap? I'm assuming that Pioneer wouldn't take steps backwards on this issue.

Does anyone actually know if the box is gone on the newer model? (I guess this isn't a big issue, but I am going to have a lot of different things plugged in to it. Plus I am investing a lot of money in a new audio system, so less wires is a big positive)

Does anyone know how much better the new model is going to be?

Obviously, the new one will be better. I want to hear how much better it is, however. I am under the impression that the new model won't be out in the states until August, which makes me think that a lot of the propaganda I hear is just that, propaganda. The 1080p display is a little over my price point, so that has to wait. Otherwise, that would be my obvious choice. My real question is whether or not the next generation is worth the wait (I have been playing the waiting game for way too long, but only another month or so until I could get the latest and greatest)?

Thanks in advance
-J
post #6 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbw01
Eric and Pholiday, get an A/V switching Receiver.
I have one, doesn't do a thing for antenna feeds or TV outputs or control cables or PC cables. My setup isn't simple.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHoliday
Does including the electronics in the display affect temperature or burn-in? The sales rep said that including the electronics in the box would increase temp and make burn-in worse. Is he completely full of crap? I'm assuming that Pioneer wouldn't take steps backwards on this issue.

Does anyone actually know if the box is gone on the newer model? (I guess this isn't a big issue, but I am going to have a lot of different things plugged in to it. Plus I am investing a lot of money in a new audio system, so less wires is a big positive)

Obviously, the new one will be better. I want to hear how much better it is, however. I am under the impression that the new model won't be out in the states until August, which makes me think that a lot of the propaganda I hear is just that, propaganda. The 1080p display is a little over my price point, so that has to wait. Otherwise, that would be my obvious choice. My real question is whether or not the next generation is worth the wait (I have been playing the waiting game for way too long, but only another month or so until I could get the latest and greatest)?

Thanks in advance
-J
I don't know for sure, but I thought someone on these forums said the Elites would retain the media boxes, and the other Pio's would not.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102
I have one, doesn't do a thing for antenna feeds or TV outputs or control cables or PC cables. My setup isn't simple.

I was suggesting that most people would proably not have more a 2 cables plus power coming out of the TV. In your case, a meai box would be beneficial.

BTW, doesn't your cable box accept off-air antenna feeds? I know my D* H20 box does.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 AM

[quote=eric102]control cables QUOTE]

What are control cables? I saw a plug on the back of my 5071 for an RS232 computer control. What the h3ll is that for? pardon my ignorance!
post #10 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does including the electronics in the display affect temperature or burn-in? The sales rep said that including the electronics in the box would increase temp and make burn-in worse. Is he completely full of crap?
This part is. Burn-in is not caused by high operating temperature. It is caused by severely uneven phosphor wear. It would occur at any operating temperature given identical material being displayed.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

QuadCam, my cable DVR won't take any inputs. So I have an analog cable feed because the cable box analog looks worse, a VHF OTA feed and a UHF OTA feed, 3 separate tuners in the TV. With the HD UHF tuner you need to output sound to the AV receiver, in my case I use optical. I also output analog stereo to the receiver.

I forgot about the 2 IEEE firewire cables to my D-VHS decks.

A control cable can be connected to compatible recorders so the IR signals from the remote can pass through the TV to the recorder if its hidden away.

Some TV's can use the RS232 for remote control also, I think on my Pio its only for service access.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
The Pioneer 4270,4271,4272,5070,5071,5072,6070,6071,6072, Elite 940, Elite 1140 and Elite 1540 will not have the MR. All MR components are intergrated into the panel now.

If you want a Pioneer with a MR, you need to find a 4360,5060, Elite 930 or Ellite 1130 fast.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
The Pioneer 4270,4271,4272,5070,5071,5072,6070,6071,6072, Elite 940, Elite 1140 and Elite 1540 will not have the MR. All MR components are intergrated into the panel now.

If you want a Pioneer with a MR, you need to find a 4360,5060, Elite 930 or Ellite 1130 fast.
Bummer :(
post #14 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, 3000 cables running down from a mounted plasma wouldn't look good, but IMO neither does 3 or even 1. Since I would hide the wires in the wall anyway, I don't see the value in the media receiver.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan
Yeah, 3000 cables running down from a mounted plasma wouldn't look good, but IMO neither does 3 or even 1. Since I would hide the wires in the wall anyway, I don't see the value in the media receiver.
Try running 3000 cables behind the wall compared to 1.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just got the 1130. Will be delivered on Saturday. After speaking with a representative from Pioneer, I found out, conclusively, that the electronics will be integrated. (also mentioned in previous post, so thank you for the help)

I figure that I will love the TV either way, and in 4-5 years, I can upgrade to the 1080p, when it comes down in price. Right now, I want the separate media box, and the PQ looks great to me on the 1130, so I know I will love the purchase either way. Plus, the Pioneer rep couldn't tell me any really big advantages in the newer model. I know that the contrast ratio will be better, but if their rep can't point out major improvements, then I'm not sold on why I should wait for the 1140.

Thanks for the help
-J
post #17 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
Try running 3000 cables behind the wall compared to 1.
:D If there actually were 3000 cables (btw, the exaggeration was borrowed from the OP), you can bet I would hide them behind a wall.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan
:D If there actually were 3000 cables (btw, the exaggeration was borrowed from the OP), you can bet I would hide them behind a wall.
;)
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page