Need Help Purchasing New Plasma. Can't decide between Pioneer and Panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been awhile since I've done my plasma research and from what I've been reading it seems like Pioneer and Panasonic are the way to go.

I want a 40in or 42in plasma and my budget is ~$4,000.

I debated between LCD and Plasma for awhile because my living room has tons and tons of natural light and even when the shades are completely drawn I still get a fair amount of light so I am concerned about glare coming off the glass of the plasma. However, it seems to me that Plasma makes more sense once you get to 40in+ in size, so I've pretty much (although not completely) resolved myself to that.

The question now is - which one to get?! :p

From what I've been reading Pioneer's seem to have better black levels but some people seem to think they are too bright (is this right?) On the flip-side Panasonic plasmas seem to have a harder time with obtaining true black, but they also seem to be about $1,000 less.

Anyone have any strong opinions on either? Or, perhaps on another manufacturer I should consider? I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by all the readin and research and am having a very difficult time making a decision.

All help appreciated in advance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK has no tuner or speakers but if you connect it to a cable or satellite box, you can buy speakers that are better than in any Plasma and have money left over.

Note that it also comes without a stand and has inputs other than HDMI. You would need to purchase separate HDMI card if needed.

Add it up & compare overall.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627
Panasonic TH-50PH9UK has no tuner or speakers but if you connect it to a cable or satellite box, you can buy speakers that are better than in any Plasma and have money left over.

Note that it also comes without a stand and has inputs other than HDMI. You would need to purchase separate HDMI card if needed.

Add it up & compare overall.
Hmm, good suggestion. I already have a killer audio system and AV receiver so I would actually prefer a screen only anyway.

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Actually Panasonic has better black levels than Pioneer. Pioneer has more vivid colors, but Panasonic's color is considered more natural.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I vote for Panny

Rob
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with those brands. I'll also say that I have a 42 lcd in my family room with really bright conditions and I love it. On plasma sometimes I feel like I am fighting to see the picture through the reflection.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAVFan
It's been awhile since I've done my plasma research and from what I've been reading it seems like Pioneer and Panasonic are the way to go.
So far so good...

Quote:
I want a 40in or 42in plasma and my budget is ~$4,000.
Wow, it has been awhile since you've shopped for a plasma! You can get a 42" for 2500-3000 and a 50" for what you want to spend (or less).

Quote:
I debated between LCD and Plasma for awhile because my living room has tons and tons of natural light and even when the shades are completely drawn I still get a fair amount of light so I am concerned about glare coming off the glass of the plasma. However, it seems to me that Plasma makes more sense once you get to 40in+ in size, so I've pretty much (although not completely) resolved myself to that.
All plasmas will reflect. I prefer the picture of a plasma over an LCD but I can control the lighting in my room. Place a portable TV where you want to put the plasma, if it reflects badly so will the plasma.

Quote:
From what I've been reading Pioneer's seem to have better black levels but some people seem to think they are too bright (is this right?) On the flip-side Panasonic plasmas seem to have a harder time with obtaining true black, but they also seem to be about $1,000 less.
This is a bit backwards, the Panasonics have blacks as good or better than anyone else in the industry. The Pioneers do have one of the brightest pictures for a plasma but I'm sure it can be toned down. The complaint you hear about Panasonics 'not holding blacks' is something different and can be controlled or eliminated through normal adjustments. Speaking of adjustments, the Panasonics will usually look awful at the store because of the out-of-the-box settings. Be sure to get a remote for both sets and adjust them to your own taste before making your decision.

Quote:
Anyone have any strong opinions on either? Or, perhaps on another manufacturer I should consider? I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by all the readin and research and am having a very difficult time making a decision.
I like the Panasonic; the picture is great, they cost less than the Pioneers and are less prone to image retention. The Panasonic 50" 50PX600U is a brand new model that retails for $3995 and can be bought for less. The 42" 42PX600U is $1000.00 less than that. With that said, both brands are excellent. Good luck with your decision!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2006, 08:58 PM

I think the pioneer offers more, 1st - just go and look at both units 2nd - the pioneer has a media box, which I think is a real plus, less heat around the screen. The blacks on a pioneer can't get any blacker. Sit down in from of each unit, bring your own DVD for them to play. if they are using an up converter DVD player be sure they are the same. Good Luck
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page