The OFFICIAL Panasonic 9UK Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

Is there a TY-FB9HM board that's available for the 9UK's?
What are differences between the 9's and 8's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post

Unless you purchase an extended in home service warranty...

Do these extented warranties kick in after the first year of manufacturers' warranty and second year of Visa Card warranty?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 AM

Anyone here who has a PH9 with the side speakers attached, and an HDMI terminal board !! Is it correct that HDMI audio is not decoded i.e. if for HDMI sources one will get picture, but no sound ?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I know everyone's setup is different, but can a few owners here post their brightness/picture/gamma settings for TV viewing? For me and my HR10-250:

Gamma: 2.5
Brightness: 3
Picture: 13
Old 10-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Oooh! It's listed on Panasonic's website for sale.. Since we're allowed to discuss MSRP, it's listed at $69,995!

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...el=TH-103PF9UK

Anyone wanna pre-order?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

Do these extented warranties kick in after the first year of manufacturers' warranty and second year of Visa Card warranty?

Mine kicks in after the first year of the manufacturers' warranty. In also converts year 1 of the manufacturers' warranty to in home service.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

Does the Panny 9 series have a Closed Caption reader?

The Panasonic Commercial Displays don't have Closed Caption Decoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoboy View Post

Hey,

Is there a TY-FB9HM board that's available for the 9UK's?

Not Yet.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambeaj View Post

Anyone here who has a PH9 with the side speakers attached, and an HDMI terminal board !! Is it correct that HDMI audio is not decoded i.e. if for HDMI sources one will get picture, but no sound ?

Not correct. TY-FB8HM will decode embedded PCM audio. Be sure your source is set to output PCM.

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 PM

Quick question:

What is a good (preferably upconverting) DVD player to go with the 9UK's? I recall reading that the Oppo players result in macro blocking, but I'm not really interesting in buying a Toshiba A1/2 right now, either. Are there other worthy options?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Anybody planning on purchasing the TH-50PF9UK that's coming out in November? MSRP probably $5995.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have component (out from STB) break out cable to vga input at PDP that is producing all green image- why is that?

I wondered if it was mis-terminated at the component end but switching the 3 RCA outputs around only gets me a green image or none at all.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post

I have component (out from STB) break out cable to vga input at PDP that is producing all green image- why is that?

I wondered if it was mis-terminated at the component end but switching the 3 RCA outputs around only gets me a green image or none at all.

On 'set-up' you have 2 choices..one is component and one is RGB..you are probably on RGB; change to component and your colors will be correct (providing you have the connections line up correctly...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4100 View Post

Anybody planning on purchasing the TH-50PF9UK that's coming out in November? MSRP probably $5995.

I am considering ..but too much difference between that price and $2500-$3000. and you will only notice the resolution difference on 1080p HD DVDS. I believe the sets to buy are the Panny commercial or the Pioneer 5070. My money is to important to me.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine kicks in after the first year of the manufacturers' warranty. In also converts year 1 of the manufacturers' warranty to in home service.

Do remember, you must use the Visa Card for the purchase. I knew of one person who did not. No warranty.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On 'set-up' you have 2 choices..one is component and one is RGB..you are probably on RGB; change to component and your colors will be correct (providing you have the connections line up correctly...

Cheers. I'll try that.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Do remember, you must use the Visa Card for the purchase. I knew of one person who did not. No warranty.

I am not referring to the Visa warranty. I purchased an extended in-home warranty (which was an axcellent deal) at the time I purchased my set.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not referring to the Visa warranty. I purchased an extended in-home warranty (which was an axcellent deal) at the time I purchased my set.

Understood, my friend. There was talk of the Visa warrranty kicking in for second year before the extended warranty came into play.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

Quick question:

What is a good (preferably upconverting) DVD player to go with the 9UK's? I recall reading that the Oppo players result in macro blocking, but I'm not really interesting in buying a Toshiba A1/2 right now, either. Are there other worthy options?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

but I'm not really interesting in buying a Toshiba A1/2 right now...

Why not ???

Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Why not ???

Because I go to college! I'm lucky enough to have a 50" 9UK. Also, like most, I'm not prepared commit one way or another on the HD DVD/Bluray thing right now.

But regarding my question, are there any opinions among those in this thread about the Panasonic S52K player?

In addition, I also read in the SD DVD forum that a lot of Panasonic owners have no real problem with the macroblocking issue. Is it possible that it's just one of those crazy AVS forum reader issues? Kind of like... ghosting on the 9UK's?

The Oppo is just a total turn on because it can play PAL, which I require fairly often, and just about everything else too, and at decent quality. Plus, the new player will be black and match the 9UK!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone here use an HD DVD player with a 50PH9UK? If so, how impressive are the results? Also, are people using the component inputs on this display or the HDMI board?

I currently have a 42PWD5UY with a DVD-1600 but I'm itchin' to upgrade. Ultimately, I want something that's 1080p and 60"+. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pay what they're asking for that right now.

I was thinking that the 50PH9UK along with the HD-A2 would be a good, affordable interim solution. This would allow me to get me some good Hi-Def DVD content now that would improve upon my current setup and hold me over until what I really want comes down in price.

Any thoughts, input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Checking one of the forum sponsors, I see that the price for this display has just gone below a fairly significant number. How much lower can it go??

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
Old 11-01-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Does anyone here use an HD DVD player with a 50PH9UK? If so, how impressive are the results? Also, are people using the component inputs on this display or the HDMI board?

I currently have a 42PWD5UY with a DVD-1600 but I'm itchin' to upgrade. Ultimately, I want something that's 1080p and 60"+. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pay what they're asking for that right now.

I was thinking that the 50PH9UK along with the HD-A2 would be a good, affordable interim solution. This would allow me to get me some good Hi-Def DVD content now that would improve upon my current setup and hold me over until what I really want comes down in price.

Any thoughts, input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Checking one of the forum sponsors, I see that the price for this display has just gone below a fairly significant number. How much lower can it go??

In general, a hd-dvd will look about the same to slightly better than the best HD content you see OTA (such as on PBS, etc.). In other words, excellent.

I am hoping for $2100 (with stand and delivered) by Christmas. It should get close to that number.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Just had to thank everyone in this forum for all their help. My 9uk was delivered yesterday and it is outstanding! Perfect for my needs and easy to set up. Gotta go watch it now........
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

Dang look at that pic... eeeeeeee heee!

That was before I hung my TV on the wall. Laptop + nVidia GPU processor + SVGA cable.

damn... looks beautiful... and the plasma looks awesome too.

Does the 42PH9UK with it's lower res (albiet smaller size) look as good as that? Thinking of getting this unit with two 8HM HDMI blades (that will work right? three expansion slots, two of which can employ this blade) over the Pio 4070HD.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the res is at 1366 x 768 on both of them, 7UY using SVGA @ 1366 x 768 and 9UK using DVI-D at 1366 x 768.
As I've been viewing more and more HDs I can start to see there is more detail and sharper texture on the 9UK w/ DVI. The picture has more realism to it, and color tones are now even better with my new HTPC. The color though, isn't vibrant enough but that can always be adjusted via my video property control center. I'm getting more and more happy with the 9UK.

I wonder how much of that difference is due to the VGA vs DVI connection?

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm a new owner of a 50". I picked up the panel, base and HDMI board two days ago.

This is my fifth HD set in two years; just haven't been able to find the right display.

So far the Panasonic is warm porridge. That's a good thing for those of you who don't follow Goldilocks.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:53 AM

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 50"9Uk but I have a quick question. Keep in mind I know very little about this subject. But I feel these forums have brought me a long way.

The 9UK doesn't come with a built-in TV tuner. Will I need to buy one to get this plasma to work off the HD cable box? Or do I just need the HDMI blade?

Thanks for such a great forum and thanks for the imput!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug230 View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 50"9Uk but I have a quick question. Keep in mind I know very little about this subject. But I feel these forums have brought me a long way.

The 9UK doesn't come with a built-in TV tuner. Will I need to buy one to get this plasma to work off the HD cable box? Or do I just need the HDMI blade?

Actually, you need neither...The Panny comes complete with 2 inputs..one for dvd player..and one for satellite receiver or cable set top box. You may buy the HDMI board but the difference you will see on screen is very small if at all. And that connection is not quiite so rock solid as going vga. VA, sponser above, has the best price right now and an excellent dealer. They will include the vga connect you need. You will need the stand or mount as extra equipment. The vga connect will have vga on one end (tv) and on the other end..red, green, and blue connects to plug into your cable box. Be sure you have HD content!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug230 View Post

an HD cable box is a tuner. The only thing a built in turner is good for is Over the air HD content.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jz View Post

Does the 42PH9UK with it's lower res (albiet smaller size) look as good as that?

as a general rule, 42" panels have greater pixel density (even though the 50" has a higher resolution), as compared to 50" panels, so from that standpoint and everything else being equal, yes, the 42" should look at least as good. (somebody chime in if I'm talkin' out of my derriere)

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display