The OFFICIAL Panasonic 9UK Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5067 Old 11-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also remeber for a time, the commercial version was priced way above, $400+, the consumer version, which has extras like a stand, tuner, more inputs, etc... The price drops now brings more inline with how the pricing should be, with the commercial versions costing less than the consumer. But when you add the extras, it evens out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whityfrd
so i would need a HTIB with hdmi output from the reciever to the display and the sound would come from the HTIB? what are some of you guys audio setups with the 9uk?

Yup... I was looking at the panel earlier looking for some kind of audio out, line out or varible, but there isn't any. I wanted to use the panel to switch inputs + audio but looks like that isn't possible. I have 2 speakers which is fine for just plain TV/news watching, but want some 5.1 for movies.

Like you said you would need a HTIB or a receiver that takes in HDMI, and then connect that to the TV. Like mkoesel said, most TV/panel don't have just digital audio processing, so you have to make the receiver do the work.

Right now I'm thinking of combining a Logitech Z-5500 with the 9uk. That has a wireless remote, and I will probably get a programmable remote so I can control the panel + audio with just one remote. I watch most of my stuff from computer so I'll use the optical SPDIF into the Logitech, and DVI into the panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5067 Old 11-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 View Post

There have been BIG price drops in the consumer models as well, actually.

...which have been out MUCH longer than the 9UKs. The unusual part about the 9UK issue is the incredibly steep, fast drop, which is unparalleled in my experience.

Sam, NYC
post #543 of 5067 Old 11-05-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

Perhaps Panasonic is not concerned with the rate of the 9UK price decrease because it is a commercial product. Most large companies that purchase these monitors don't track the price of the products after they've made a purchase. And if they do, they probably don't care if the price has dropped. It's not like the money is coming out of their personal pockets.

I imagine Panasonic is more careful about reducing the price of their consumer products.

disclaimer: The above comment could be completely wrong. I'm really just taking a guess, without any facts to back it up.

Good point, but I'm not a big corporation and I'll let Panasonic know it.

Sam, NYC
post #544 of 5067 Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBum View Post

Also remeber for a time, the commercial version was priced way above, $400+, the consumer version, which has extras like a stand, tuner, more inputs, etc... The price drops now brings more inline with how the pricing should be, with the commercial versions costing less than the consumer. But when you add the extras, it evens out.

Exactly.

Which is the number one reason why I was holding off. I figured it was because of supply/demend and because the set was very new. There are always the people that are willing to pay more for the latest new model, and as long as they are still buying and the inventories shows "out of stock / on back order", there is no way I will join the party and put my order in.

Previous 8UK were priced below the 50U models. So a street price of around $2000 is a correct price for this model. And if it goes below that, there are market forces that pushes it down.

There is nothing special about this huge price drop except that it was way over priced to begin with.

Just my opinion. But it worked out right for me.
post #545 of 5067 Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Here's something curious which I just noticed as I'm about to pull the trigger on one... The new 9UK is cheaper than the older 8UK! Supply & demand in action or is there something I'm missing? Only by $100 (42") but still!
post #546 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

so i would need a HTIB with hdmi output from the reciever to the display and the sound would come from the HTIB?

Not neccesarily, although that would certainly be one possible setup.

Quote:

what are some of you guys audio setups with the 9uk?

I only route audio through my receiver. Video goes straight to the display. This works fine for me since I only have three input devices. The drawback is that I have to switch the input source on both the display and the receiver when I want to switch between devices. Though their are solutions, such as a Harmony remote, that will solve that issue if I ever wanted to.
post #547 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

I don't know where some of the posters here get their numbers. I have followed and logged price changes daily since 9/22/06 for these sets and I don't see it just dropped $300, and it went down HALF.

Sound like Panasonic built many more displays than the demand and are being agressive in clearing out their inventory.

I paid $xxxx on 18 Sept and the display is now advertised by the same forum sponsors for $yyyy, a $653 drop. The dislay was over $3000 a month or so earlier.

I say good for those that waited or just want to get into a plasma display now, what a great deal, almost 50% off original list price. If panasonic is not near selling out the 50 9UK, I think we can expect more drops. One would look pretty good in the bedroom at this price..... it is only money you know :-)

If anyone hears of consideration being offered by Panasonic or a forum sponsor, be sure to let us know. $653 is enough to cover a HDDVD player, a 5 port HDMI switch, and a couple DVDs.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #548 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarchitect View Post

Here's something curious which I just noticed as I'm about to pull the trigger on one... The new 9UK is cheaper than the older 8UK! Supply & demand in action or is there something I'm missing? Only by $100 (42") but still!

The current generation of displays always go through MSRP drops, while older generations are frozen at whatever MSRP they have when the new generation comes out to replace them. This situation eventually (oftem times immediately) leads to the newer generation displays carrying lower street prices as well. If you check prices at panasonic.com you will see that the 9th generation sets have a pretty large advantage in MSRP now. In fact, even the 9th generation 65" set is lower than the 8th generation 65" set, despite it having 1080p glass.
post #549 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

I say good for those that waited or just want to get into a plasma display now, what a great deal, almost 50% off original list price.

Actually we are now quite a bit below 50% of original list price on these displays now. Remember, when they first debuted, the 50" was $3999 MSRP, while the 42" was $2999 MSRP. Original street prices were about 1k under that.

Another data point: we are just about to the point where you can buy three 50" 9UK displays for the same price I paid for my single 50" 7UY about two years ago.
post #550 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 AM

I'm also getting the 42UK9, and have a few questions.

I'll be hooking up to Direct TV and I'm not sure if I should use their tuner, receiver or go to BB and get my own?

I don't have any experience with Direct TV and don't want to start off with the wrong equipment.

DTV has a DVR and HD tuner for $199, which also requires subscription to HD and DVR service.

Is this a good receiver? Or should I be looking at a TiVo and my own DVR?

I also have a stereo with speakers, and would like to use that instead of new speakers. Will the audio from the tuner box go straight to stereo receiver? Or do I loop that through the TV? I would want to control the volume through the TV Box and not my stereo, as I don't have a remote.

I was also planning on picking up a Mac Mini. And can this be integrated? Would that require a separate board?

How many additional boards should I order and which ones exactly should I go ahead and order for the options I listed above?

Also, is there less expensive thrird party stand?

I hope I was clear enough.

Thanks or any tips or advice.
post #551 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 174
New review up for the 50" 9UK

www.avrev.com

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #552 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2 View Post

I'm also getting the 42UK9, and have a few questions.

I'll be hooking up to Direct TV and I'm not sure if I should use their tuner, receiver or go to BB and get my own?

Is this a good receiver? Or should I be looking at a TiVo and my own DVR?

Will the audio from the tuner box go straight to stereo receiver? Or do I loop that through the TV? I would want to control the volume through the TV Box and not my stereo, as I don't have a remote.

If you want DIRECTV you don't have a choice other than the DIRECTV receiver you will lease from them. They can be "leased" at several vendors including DIRECTV directly. You may save shipping cost by picking one up locally and call DIRECTV for installation. The new HD DVR has been in high demand and has been out of stock, so you may want to check on availability. It has had some good reviews but there are some first adopter type bugs, like the OATR is not enabled and occasional lock ups for some. I have a DIRECTV HD Receiver (no DVR) that works just fine. Picture quality is very good on most channels, but will vary.

For audio, the DIRECTV receiver comes with a programmable remote that can control stereos (as well at the display). It also can be program to turn all the equipment on or off with one button. DIRECTV receivers have both toslink and RCA stereo outputs for connecting to either your UK9 or stereo.

It has HDMI and component video outputs, your choice to connect to your display (also SVID and composite by why use them). You don't need any more cards if the DIRECTV is your only video sourse and you use the display's built in component input. You may want a DVI card for the mini, or a mini video out (DVI I think) to VGA adapter, but I could be mistaken on the detail, I think there is a MAC Video forum here where you may obtain better advice. The panel has a VGA along with component input.

If the 42UK9 is like the 50UK9, there are no audio outputs other than speaker level (low impedance). You cannot loop these through the display to a stereo with good results and without extra adapters. The internal amp is rated at 15 watts I think and will be plenty loud, but you won't have surround sound. You can just connect your speakers to the display and forget about the stereo receiver if you want. If you want audio out of the display you need to go to the consumer model I think, or install high level - low level audio adapters often used in vehicles. Again it will be two channel stereo, no 5.1 or surround.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #553 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks Cold Case,

I ordered the 429UK, with the stand. So thanks for all the post. I have read most of this thread.

I'm leaning towards DVI. Hopefully one card, or splice, switcher. I hope the DTV tuner can go DVI. Apparently no need for HDMI because I'm not going to be sending sound to the tube.

Yes, HD DVR is on backorder. I'm undecided about upgrading to the HD or the DVR, because then I'll be locked in for two years. sigh.

I was hoping there would be another HD, DVR tuner option. Maybe what you have HD tuner. Then get a separate DVR, although it probably wouldn't be interactive?

My dad had the TiVo and loved it, then went with the DTV DVR, as it records in HD.

Not sure if I should hold off on the DVR, and see what TiVo has to offer?
post #554 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

Sound like Panasonic built many more displays than the demand and are being agressive in clearing out their inventory.

I paid $xxxx on 18 Sept and the display is now advertised by the same forum sponsors for $yyyy, a $653 drop. The dislay was over $3000 a month or so earlier.

I say good for those that waited or just want to get into a plasma display now, what a great deal, almost 50% off original list price. If panasonic is not near selling out the 50 9UK, I think we can expect more drops. One would look pretty good in the bedroom at this price..... it is only money you know :-)

If anyone hears of consideration being offered by Panasonic or a forum sponsor, be sure to let us know. $653 is enough to cover a HDDVD player, a 5 port HDMI switch, and a couple DVDs.

I got mine around the same time as you...I agree - let us know if anyone gets a break on price...I doubt it but it's worth a try...
post #555 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Could someone help me out? My friend just bought one of these and I'd like to provide him with some settings. I know that his main input for TV is a SA8300HD cable box via his component input. I assume he's also using a component input for DVD as he hasn't bought the HDMI blade. Thanks for some help,
post #556 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2 View Post

Apparently no need for HDMI because I'm not going to be sending sound to the tube.

There is a more subtle reason for choosing HDMI over DVI -- HDMI supports YCbCr while DVI does not. YCbCr is nice because it allows you to adjust tint and color. This assumes that your STB supports this colorspace of course.
post #557 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
some questions..

1) how adjustable is the 9uk? i think i heard that you cant set RGB gain through HDMI? if this is not true, can you adjust yellow, magneta, and cyan too?

2) THe component board that comes with the set, it is BNC. Will standard component cables work with BNC board or do i have to order a whole other component board?

3. after calibration with avia or dve, how accrurate were you guys in calibrating your set? still push of one particular color? any extensive noise?

thanks
post #558 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

some questions..

2) THe component board that comes with the set, it is BNC. Will standard component cables work with BNC board or do i have to order a whole other component board?

thanks

the present component board works if you use adapters to couple your component cables with the BNC connectors. At least some of the forum sponsors provide you with these adapters free of charge. I think Cleveland Plasma was one.. perhaps they all do, I'm not entirely certain though.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #559 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
whityfrd:

2. it's standard component with BNC connections. You can get inexpensive BNC-RCA adapters so you can use most standard component cables.

---

Man I just bought a 50 9uk from costco and I can't believe how cheap these things are getting. I'm thinking of canceling my order just to wait another month or so to see how low they'll go!
post #560 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

some questions..

1) how adjustable is the 9uk? i think i heard that you cant set RGB gain through HDMI? if this is not true, can you adjust yellow, magneta, and cyan too?

thanks

I'm interested in this as well. I played around with one at the store a few days ago and I did not see that many settings to adjust many colors.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #561 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
so what about ?'s 1 and 3? thanks.
post #562 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Planning on getting the 50" 9UK. 1:1 pixel mapping is a must have for me since I have an outbound processor/scaler. Do I get the DVI blade or the HDMI Blade? Both support HDCP so that shouldn't be an issue. To my knowledge, only the DVI allows you to send "native" 1366x768 in. Does the HDMI also? Can anyone confirm 1:1 pixel mapping with the HDMI blades?

I also saw this above:

"There is a more subtle reason for choosing HDMI over DVI -- HDMI supports YCbCr while DVI does not. YCbCr is nice because it allows you to adjust tint and color. This assumes that your STB supports this colorspace of course. "

So I gues if the HDMI supports 1:1 mapping then it's a better way to go?
post #563 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=djwishbone]whityfrd:

2. it's standard component with BNC connections. You can get inexpensive BNC-RCA adapters so you can use most standard component cables.

---

Man I just bought a 50 9uk from costco and I can't believe how cheap these things are getting. I'm thinking of canceling my order just to wait another month or so to see how low they'll go![/QUOTe

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Actually, right now, Costco is a little high on the 9uk. A sponser has it on sale for $500 less.
post #564 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

the present component board works if you use adapters to couple your component cables with the BNC connectors. At least some of the forum sponsors provide you with these adapters free of charge. I think Cleveland Plasma was one.. perhaps they all do, I'm not entirely certain though.

Visual Apex supplied 4 adaptors (which was what I needed).
post #565 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 03:15 PM

thanks mkosel,

Thanks for the tip. I'll guess I'll be looking at a HDMI blade.

What's a good one, the Panny?

By the way, I ordered the Direct TV with the HD DVD tuner.

Hopefully that will have a HDMI. Although I'll go ahead and hook up the component.

VA included the adapters.

edit: I couldn't find the blades at Mono Price.
post #566 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

New review up for the 50" 9UK

www.avrev.com

The review mentions that panny resolved 720p completely. Is this true?
post #567 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Pagecomputers had the best price at $116 for the hdmi blade, anyone work with them?

edit: do you think the blade is necessary, or just use the output it comes with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorem View Post

The review mentions that panny resolved 720p completely. Is this true?

post #568 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah I've bought a bunch of stuff from Page Computers over the years, and other than for some slow shipping at times they are OK. They don't always have real actual stock on some items at their store, because lot of the computer stuff that they handle is merely drop shipped for them from various warehouses, which for me is sometimes good as one of the warehouses that they use is only about 20 miles away. (And Buycom also uses the same exact warehouse) However they usually take about 1 day just to process the order first, and they can also be very slow on actually shipping items out when you pick ground shipping. So if you pick ground shipping, it will probably take about week before you see it at your door. Even if you pick one day shipping, they still will probably take 1 day to process it first.
post #569 of 5067 Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 PM

I'm planning on purchasing this tv combined with the sanus pffp2b stand. (I really like this stand) However, another member on this board indicated that the back of the stand can barely support his 42 in 9uk. He states the stand can approximately hold only 29 inches apart from the mounting points of a plasma.

So before I purchase the stand and tv, can one of the owners of a 50 9UK measure in inches the distance between the two mounting points or maybe even give a rough estimate. I know this would be a pain but it would greatly be appreciated by an excited future panny plasma owner.

Cheers
post #570 of 5067 Old 11-07-2006, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroot View Post

Planning on getting the 50" 9UK. 1:1 pixel mapping is a must have for me since I have an outbound processor/scaler. Do I get the DVI blade or the HDMI Blade? Both support HDCP so that shouldn't be an issue. To my knowledge, only the DVI allows you to send "native" 1366x768 in. Does the HDMI also? Can anyone confirm 1:1 pixel mapping with the HDMI blades?

1366x768 is only supported by the DVI board*. It is for this reason that I have both a DVI and HDMI board in my display. The HDMI board is for my STB and the DVI board is for my Mac Mini.

* some folks have forced 1366x768 over HDMI. But you will need PowerStrip/SwitchResX, and the proper timings (which are somewhere on ths board, but I don't have a link, sorry).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page