The OFFICIAL Panasonic 9UK Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine is gone also...no glue residue to speak of, it just wipes off with your finger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed.Knot View Post

Wow, those products look useful. THANKS!
That sticker is coming off tonight.

You can also use lighter fluid (Robinson for zippos) or Alcohol ( at your local drug store $0.89)

-KIRILL-
post #93 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM

Hi Folks...

My 9UK has been up and running for awhile now, and while I was unable to burn a wear-in DVD, I am being very careful for the first 100 hours: settings turned way down, no logos, no Anamorphic widescreen or letterbox or anything of the sort, but I have one question:

Does the set track the hours of usage, and if so.. where is it?

Thanks in advance..

P.S. I, too, am finding I never leave the HD channels.. developing a serious "Discovery HD Theater" addiction, expecially since they rarely have a logo up...
post #94 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdigital View Post

Hi Folks...

My 9UK has been up and running for awhile now, and while I was unable to burn a wear-in DVD, I am being very careful for the first 100 hours: settings turned way down, no logos, no Anamorphic widescreen or letterbox or anything of the sort, but I have one question:

Does the set track the hours of usage, and if so.. where is it?

Thanks in advance..

P.S. I, too, am finding I never leave the HD channels.. developing a serious "Discovery HD Theater" addiction, expecially since they rarely have a logo up...

Instructions here: http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=81
post #95 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman View Post

Many Thanks!
--
Jim
post #96 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bruzzi, I tried your commands for checking the resolution being displayed on the 9UK and everything looked right except there was no resolution number up there. Did I do something wrong?
post #97 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Hmm, doesn't work on my 509UK.

Held down Volume - button and pressed status button 3 times.

Nothing happens.

Am I missing something really simple here?
post #98 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just to check... that's the Volume (-) button on the front of the TV and the status button on the remote you're pressing, right?

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #99 of 5069 Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryU View Post

Just to check... that's the Volume (-) button on the front of the TV and the status button on the remote you're pressing, right?

I knew someone would make me feel stupid.

Thanks!
I'm off to try it now.

edit: now that I read Bruzzi's page again, I noticed that it was in BOLD LETTERS that Volume is on the TV. Feeling more stupid now.
post #100 of 5069 Old 08-23-2006, 04:30 PM

Well I can get to the screen but I see no resolition.
post #101 of 5069 Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM

My 50" 9UK arrived yesterday afternoon, followed a couple of hours later by a Peerless tilt mount - both purchased from PlasmaConcepts. Delivery was very smooth, no damage, no complaints! Got it on the wall today and can't stop grinning! So far I'm running it with SD DirecTV and a Sony DVD player with Component outputs. Some SD content looks not-so-great, but I'm very happy with it overall! The HD cable should be hooked up on Friday, so I'll say more when I see that!

Heath
post #102 of 5069 Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRoberts View Post

My 50" 9UK arrived yesterday afternoon, followed a couple of hours later by a Peerless tilt mount - both purchased from PlasmaConcepts. Delivery was very smooth, no damage, no complaints! Got it on the wall today and can't stop grinning! So far I'm running it with SD DirecTV and a Sony DVD player with Component outputs. Some SD content looks not-so-great, but I'm very happy with it overall! The HD cable should be hooked up on Friday, so I'll say more when I see that!

Heath

you're in for a very pleasant surprise. HD is out of this world on this plasma. SD is ho-hum.
post #103 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:

you're in for a very pleasant surprise. HD is out of this world on this plasma. SD is ho-hum.

After thinking about it for a while (and having the 9uk for about 2 weeks), I've decided I'd be disappointed if there wasn't such a difference between SD and HD.

This set handles HD so well that SD is bound to look poor in comparison. Interestingly enough, SD on my Panny plasma still looks better than on my folks RCA CRT.

HD vs SD on a 9uk is like comparing a filet mignon to a cheese burger.
Sure, the cheeseburger is great, but it doesn't compare to the filet...
post #104 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsojs View Post

Bruzzi, I tried your commands for checking the resolution being displayed on the 9UK and everything looked right except there was no resolution number up there. Did I do something wrong?

Haven't tried on the 9UK Models yet but it shouldn't be different (Can other 9UK owners confirm that for me please ) . You might try another source on input.
post #105 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed.Knot View Post

After thinking about it for a while (and having the 9uk for about 2 weeks), I've decided I'd be disappointed if there wasn't such a difference between SD and HD.

This set handles HD so well that SD is bound to look poor in comparison. Interestingly enough, SD on my Panny plasma still looks better than on my folks RCA CRT.

HD vs SD on a 9uk is like comparing a filet mignon to a cheese burger.
Sure, the cheeseburger is great, but it doesn't compare to the filet...

Personally I'd take a good cheeseburger over a filet. Filets are tender yes, but the lack of fat make them relatively flavorless. Now if you're talking a porterhouse or a strip...

...anyway, upon closer inspection, the SD image on this set via HDMI is pretty impressive. I was running this thing through composite for a week while waiting for my HD cable box and the SD picture was horrible. HDMI handles it pretty well though.
post #106 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 AM

Although this is my first post, I have been a member before and have been watching this forum closely for the last 6 months. That is the length of time I hemmed and hawed and thought and considered about what plasma I wanted to get.

Long story short. . . I am the proud owner of a 1 week old panasonic 42 9UK. I thank Bruzzi, Rich and the many others for providing all the information I needed to make this awesome purchase.

Towards the end I was seriously considering going with the consumer model because in my area the consumer model was substantially cheaper than the 9UK. Ultimately, I decided to pay more so I would have a good looking plasma. When it arrived I was in awe. . It is beautiful. I am so glad I don't have any bulky speakers or distracting silver. Even if the picture is no different properly calibrated, it is absolutely worth a few hundred to have the sleek look this set offers.

I am currently hooked up to a basic Sony DVD player via VGA/component and to my Motorola DCT 5100 via component. HD tv is absolutely stunning. Standard TV through my cable company is still good but like many others have noted I have notice my viewing habits staying in the HD channels. I have set the picture setting to Cinema and have dialed down all the options.

I am not a videophile so I am having to learn about all the adjustments I can make to get a good picture as I go and am simply trying to do things by trial and error. I am certain that I do not have the best picture I can get yet - even in the break in period. I will try to use a calibration disc to see if that helps at all. At this point I don't have as good a black levels as I think I can get but I am a bit uncertain as to exactly what adjustments to make to get good black levels but still keep detail.

DVD's look great but I don't think I have maximized my picture quality yet there as well. From 10 ft away I still notice some screen noise/fuzziness in the picture. I am guessing that is simply from the source, i.e., cheap sony dvd player via component. If I knew that the noise would clear up with an HDMI hookup with upconverting DVD player, that might be my next purchase down the road.

I apologize for the long post but I figure the combination of new membership and the drop of a substantial sum of money on a TV warrants a bit of leniency. ESPN HD football, baseball, and Discovery HD flat out rock!!! Can't wait for college basketball. Go Jayhawks!!!!
post #107 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Welcome to the owners club, KBABB. Great choice if I do say so myself!
I'm running an old Toshiba DVD player on component and haven't noticed any noise/fuzziness. What kind of cables are you using? loose connection?

In any case, I'm strongly considering buying an Oppo DVD player, though I may wait a few months to read reviews on how well the Sony PS3 upconverts...

I bought the HDMI blade for my Moto box, and it's great. Definitely worth the extra money.
post #108 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM

OK I got my 50-9UK today. Here are some pics - before and after the tranformation...

Here is what I started with. A 32" Toshiba - ugly furniture - Great sound system (Yamaha RX-V2500 & Polk Audio speakers).

Now here is what I have. What a difference...

-Steve
LL
LL
post #109 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted them on a free Online host.

Definitively an improvement.

Congrats.

post #110 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBABB View Post

Long story short. . . I am the proud owner of a 1 week old panasonic 42 9UK. I thank Bruzzi, Rich and the many others for providing all the information I needed to make this awesome purchase.

My pleasure.

Welcome to "The Club" .
post #111 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Thanks Bruzzi!

Now I have tried to get into the mode to tell the resolution and cannot get it to work. I have followed what your page says unsuccessfully. Any sugestions?

All I got was a quick "bar" that said "SHIPPING".

-Steve
post #112 of 5069 Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop-LD View Post

Thanks Bruzzi!

Now I have tried to get into the mode to tell the resolution and cannot get it to work. I have followed what your page says unsuccessfully. Any sugestions?

All I got was a quick "bar" that said "SHIPPING".

-Steve

Swoop-LD, that works for all previous Panasonic Commercial Displays. But I haven't tried it on the 9UK Models yet so I don't know. I'm trying to get the Service Manual for the 9UK Displays so I would know for sure if something changed.
post #113 of 5069 Old 08-26-2006, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My 50" 9UK ws delivered yesterday, and I got my cable installed at my new place today. I still need to mount the set, connect the DVD, make some preliminary adjustments and get my audio system hooked up. All of that probably won't happen until Wednesday or so.

Even sitting in the box bottom with the HD cable (Comcast/Moto3412), this set is jaw droppingly good. I initially connected the cable box via components and it looked damn good. I went out a short while later and purcased an HDMI cable. At first glance I was worried that the HDMI did not look as good as component. I changed the picture setting from Vivid to Standard, changed the 3412 from 720P/480i to 1080i/480P and volia, what a stunning picture on the HD channels. The SD didn't look half bad using Just mode either. I did not make any adjustments beyond that.

I am very happy with this purchase, and feel I definitely chose the right set thanks in part to advice received here. I can't wait to get the set mounted and adjusted properly!
post #114 of 5069 Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

We mounted our 42-9UK!

We used a Sanus articulating arm so we could mount it in front of our wall unit, which did not have a space wide enough for panel. We are happy with the results, and the display looks incredible. Pic below:

Sam, NYC
post #115 of 5069 Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM

I've been doing some experiments with my new 50" 9UK, and followed Bruzzi's instructions to get the resolution displayed. The displayed information under the IIC menu is definitely a bit different.

I am feeding an HDMI signal into a series 8 board, and when sending a 720p signal it actually says 720p (not 750p as the FAQ for series 8 claims). When I send a 1080i signal to this same input it shows simply "D HD" (Digital HD? Who knows?).

Anyone else able to confirm my results?
post #116 of 5069 Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I just checked the service menu and while sending a 720p source it said 720p (not 750). I didn't check 1080i.

-Eric
post #117 of 5069 Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. We need more 9UK owners checking the other resolutions.
post #118 of 5069 Old 08-31-2006, 05:37 PM

9UK service menu reports:

480i signal --> Y525i (via component)
480p signal ---> D525p (via HDMI)
720p signal ---> D720p (via HDMI)
1080i signal --> D HD (via HDMI)
post #119 of 5069 Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just got Monster Screenclean to clean 9UK screen. The directions say "if your product stipulates 'soap and water cleaning only' do not use this product. Ingrediants say, "safe, alcohol-free formula is ideal for cleaning LCD and Plasma TVs."

The 9UK manual states to use "pure water or water to which a neutral detergent has been added".

Does this mean the Monster screenclean is unsafe to use? If so, I'll return it. I thought I had read somewhere on AVS that the Monster cleaner was good.

TIA,

Sam, NYC
post #120 of 5069 Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 AM

I noticed some 9UK-owner references to the Oppo 971. My 9UK should be arriving shortly, and I was also looking to buy an upconverting DVD player. The 971 gets great reviews, but I keep reading references to macroblocking issues with Panasonic commercial panels.

I emailed Oppo, and they replied that it can increase instances of macroblocking on Panasonic plasmas, and "if macroblocking is your main concern, then the OPDV971H is not the product for you". My problem is that I'm a newbie to all this stuff, and don't know if this is going to be a big deal to me or not.

How are you 9UK/Oppo 971 owners liking this combination? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page