post #181 of 5067 Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post

I bought through VA, however I think the Costco "return at any time for any reason" policy has A LOT of value. If Costco had the 9UK in stock when I bough, I may have gone through them, even for several hundered more.

For me (taxes, etc) it would have been $800 more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5067 Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 View Post

You think I blinked twice as the delivery man was telling me about the "gasses" inside my 9UK and how I should be careful 'cause if they ever "escape" I should be sure not to touch anything & call immediately.

I would have a gas mask ready just in case...

Sam, NYC
post #183 of 5067 Old 09-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 View Post

You think I blinked twice as the delivery man was telling me about the "gasses" inside my 9UK and how I should be careful 'cause if they ever "escape" I should be sure not to touch anything & call immediately.

Info is what this forum is for.

Vendor stories should go into the humor section...

Little known fact: The FCC mandates that all plasma screens have a phone number of the back of the panel for the Ghostbusters in case the above situation occurs. It's simply a matter of safety, people.
post #184 of 5067 Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 AM

yes, nice strats!! i had to sell one of my strats (a 57RI) to fund my 9UK. But I watch alot more tv nowadays than playing guitar.
I have SA8300 as well, and although I can't change the color space, it really doesn't seem to need to be changed. The Yankee game last night, as well as football, has been, yes, STUNNING, on this set.
Too bad the Jets are so bad that CBS doesn't deem them "HD worthy"...
post #185 of 5067 Old 09-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraspook View Post

After getting this 'tip' and seeing their prices, I won't be back. It's a shame 'cause they're the only Paradigm dealer near me.

You should go back one more time and ask the gentleman to walk his a$$ into oncoming traffic.
post #186 of 5067 Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Couple of quick questions from someone new to these forums. Can't believe how much knowledge is available just for the asking. You guys are great.

We sold our last house with a 50" Panny (7uk model I believe), denon AV receiver, Mitsi DVD, and HD DTV included in the sale. Need new equipment for next home.

Is there any plans for a commercial model 58" from Panasonic before the holiday season?
If not available will gladly settle for the new 50" 9uk commercial monitor. Unit will be mounted above a fireplace and feed by existing cables going to the present owners plasma - I don't think fishing HDMI cables is an option at this time.

I'm torn between Denon and Yamaha AV receivers. Looking for the same upconverting capabilities I had before AND multi room distribution of Audio/Video. Budget up to $1000 for receiver. Who has some ideas?

Oppo 971 DVD a good choice - -any issues with this equipment selection?

Speaker placement will be an issue. This is a large open concept Kitchen/Great Room setup. Back walls for surround sound are none existant. Ideas anyone?

Thanks so much for the great reading............Keep it up everyone
post #187 of 5067 Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanut View Post

Couple of quick questions from someone new to these forums.

Speaker placement will be an issue. This is a large open concept Kitchen/Great Room setup. Back walls for surround sound are none existant. Ideas anyone?

Thanks so much for the great reading............Keep it up everyone

surround speakers are actually not supposed to go behind the listening position (i.e. on a wall behind the couch). The surround speakers are supposed to be to the sides of the listening position and slightly behind it. Surround back speakers (7.1 setups) are the ones that go behind the listening position. See here.

I suggest using speaker stands for the surround speakers.

-Eric
post #188 of 5067 Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanut View Post

surround speakers are actually not supposed to go behind the listening position (i.e. on a wall behind the couch). The surround speakers are supposed to be to the sides of the listening position and slightly behind it. Surround back speakers (7.1 setups) are the ones that go behind the listening position. See here.

I suggest using speaker stands for the surround speakers.

-Eric

I'm facing the same kind of environment (open family room/kitchen/nook area) and if I can read a little into jamanut's question (correct me if I'm way off-base), I think what might be an issue isn't so much that he wants walls for surround sound, just that he might not want to string speaker cable out to speakers (on stands or otherwise) out in the middle of a room. I know I don't want to do that in my very open family room - having a back wall allows you to place surround speakers where wires never leave the walls to traverse open floorspace. Jamanut and I won't have that luxury.

What I decided to try (after reading several very glowing reviews and realizing that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination) is Polk's Surroundbar - virtual surround from one speaker, mounted directly below the TV. Obviously it won't compare quality-wise to a true 7.1 system with perfectly-aligned speaker placement, but for those of us who value cleanliness of install and a lack of wires strewn about, it makes sense. It's a little pricey at $720 (and it needs a sub, not included) but to me the design is worth it. I can't personally comment on its performance, as I'm just getting ready to move into my new house where I'll install it under the 50PH9UK I'm buying, but I'll certainly post a little something once it's all together.

Jason
post #189 of 5067 Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 AM

thejtrain hit the nail squarely on the head - not only speaker location but getting the wires to where the speakers are located. Also having speakers just sitting out in the middle of very large open rooms does not exactly get the better half all excited.
post #190 of 5067 Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Quite possibly the wrong place to post this...but:

I purchased my 509uk from Costco on the 28th of Aug...it hit the shipper on the 8th of Sept (in OH) and left there this morning to SC. Due to deliver on Fri, Mon or Tues.

As for the cost, it was identicle as the 50/60u (both there and B&M stores) and I was able to avoid the 599.99 warranty for inhome issues, with the peace of mind that I can take it back (so long as I retain a membership).

As for a Q earlier... I too was wondering about a 58inch pro modle??? any word about that?

PS. Costco has my tilt mount (under 100.00) delivered last week, and I am using the Sony 400 DVD Mega changer HDMI which I have now.

Toodles!
-Tommy
post #191 of 5067 Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcheffondue View Post

Quite possibly the wrong place to post this...but:

I purchased my 509uk from Costco on the 28th of Aug...it hit the shipper on the 8th of Sept (in OH) and left there this morning to SC. Due to deliver on Fri, Mon or Tues.

As for the cost, it was identicle as the 50/60u (both there and B&M stores) and I was able to avoid the 599.99 warranty for inhome issues, with the peace of mind that I can take it back (so long as I retain a membership).

As for a Q earlier... I too was wondering about a 58inch pro modle??? any word about that?

PS. Costco has my tilt mount (under 100.00) delivered last week, and I am using the Sony 400 DVD Mega changer HDMI which I have now.

Toodles!
-Tommy

I sure wish they'd get more of those in, I'd buy from them in a heartbeat if they had 50PH9UKs in. Tommy, when you ordered it did you talk to someone to make sure it was a 9UK? All several of us have seen on their site are 8UKs (and they took the 42s down again today) - can you confirm for us when it arrives that it's a 9UK and not an 8UK?

Thanks,
Jason
post #192 of 5067 Old 09-14-2006, 07:14 PM

FYI, the 50"ers are back on Costco's site here, but the listing says 8UK.
post #193 of 5067 Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 AM

After many months researching and budgeting for my first HDTV, I made the plunge thanks to Chris at ClevelandPlasma. He made me a great offer on the 42PH9UK(wanted 50" but didn't want to pay the extra $700-800 plus my room is small and will be sitting about 8 feet from the screen.) Dropped for some HDMI cables at Monocable, HDMI board & table stand, 3 yr mack extended warranty and Oppo 971H. Thanks for all your help on this thread!
post #194 of 5067 Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 AM

Anyone of you guys noticed yellow/green contours when theres quick movements in picture?

I noticed this phenomena on my '9 yesterday while whatching Sin City (B/W)..
post #195 of 5067 Old 09-17-2006, 05:46 PM

From what i have gathered the 9UK does not automatically change aspect ratio's like the 600's. I guess my question is that the Dish VIP 622 has a remote capability for changing the aspect - will this work as well, also,-- does anyone have experience with marrying these two systems together? any comments - upsides/downsides?

Please hurry though -- I am gonna pull the trigger on a 9UK by Wed -- either that or the wife and I may go toe to toe ! LOL
post #196 of 5067 Old 09-17-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post

Anyone of you guys noticed yellow/green contours when theres quick movements in picture?

I noticed this phenomena on my '9 yesterday while whatching Sin City (B/W)..

That's what a few here are talking about when they refer to rainbows on plasmas. I see them too on any plasma, but only in high contrast scenes with lots of movement. On Sin City I could see them very often, but on most other movies or tv I see them rarely. Maybe once or twice on movies that have more color than sin city. For example on serenity I saw a green flash or after image once. On Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I didn't notice any. But that's just how my eyes work, it could be better or worse for you.
post #197 of 5067 Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM

My eyes definietly see rainbows with plasmas, not as bad as DLP, but it is there at least in my mind..

With a static picutre, never.. Moving stuff does give me the rainbow effect every once in a while.
post #198 of 5067 Old 09-18-2006, 03:17 AM

Can anyone compare the 9UK series with the 600U? Besides the fact that the 600U comes with a stand and more inputs, are there any differences quality-wise between them?

About to buy one or the other but can't decide. Sorry if it's been brought up before.
post #199 of 5067 Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 AM

I know someone has asked this before, but I will be getting my 429UK at the end of this week and would like some burn-in settings for my first 100-200 hours. I tried searching and perusing the burn-in thread but I could find any specifics other than keep contrast, brightness etc under 50%. Thanks!
post #200 of 5067 Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAngryGuy View Post

Can anyone compare the 9UK series with the 600U? Besides the fact that the 600U comes with a stand and more inputs, are there any differences quality-wise between them?

About to buy one or the other but can't decide. Sorry if it's been brought up before.

..If you do need any of the extras that come with u600, then, of course, buy the 9uk. It should be less money. Image quality will be about the same. The 9uk is probably the best value in plasmas today. The 600u will be a easier resale down the road, if that matters.
post #201 of 5067 Old 09-18-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeper2006 View Post

From what i have gathered the 9UK does not automatically change aspect ratio's like the 600's. I guess my question is that the Dish VIP 622 has a remote capability for changing the aspect - will this work as well, also,-- does anyone have experience with marrying these two systems together? any comments - upsides/downsides?

Please hurry though -- I am gonna pull the trigger on a 9UK by Wed -- either that or the wife and I may go toe to toe ! LOL

Veeper,
I just set up my new 50-9Uk and VIP622 on Friday. I'm connecting it through my new JVC D702B A/V receiver. The picture is jaw-dropping!!

So far, I've been leaving the 9UK set to "Full" and control the aspect ratio using the VIP622's remote (just press the asterisk key). For non-HD channels, I use the "partial zoom" setting.

BTW, before receiving the set, I had fairly low expectations for SD picture quality based on posts on this and other forums. Now that I have it all set up, SD actually looks really good - I'm not dissapointed at all.

The only issue I've seen so far is Food Network's new HD channel. It fairly frequently pixelates and freezes for 15 seconds or so, then clears up. I understand this channel is pretty new, so I hope they work out the kinks soon.
post #202 of 5067 Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 PM

I have both the 50 and 42, love them both with Dish HD. Have Oppo 970 with them as well using HDMI boards and pics is great. Stephanie at TVA is a very easy to work with.

Michael
post #203 of 5067 Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone with settings for HR10-250 over HDMI?
post #204 of 5067 Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM

OK, I feel stupid, but have to ask. My 9UK just arrived. I installed the HDMI board, and then went to attach the wall mount brackets, but alas, I can't find any mounting holes in the back of the set. The instructions for the Sanus VMPL3-B mount tell me to trying fitting the supplied bolts into the holes to find out which size to use, but I can't find any holes!

There's 4 pretty beefy bolts about the locations I would have expected to find the mounting holes, but I'm afraid to remove them. And if I do remove them, do I use those same bolts to attach the brackets, or the Sanus supplied ones. The Panasonic manual doesn't mention a word about mounting (or even about initial setup and use of the TV).

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bruce
post #205 of 5067 Old 09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcowan12 View Post

OK, I feel stupid, but have to ask. My 9UK just arrived. I installed the HDMI board, and then went to attach the wall mount brackets, but alas, I can't find any mounting holes in the back of the set. The instructions for the Sanus VMPL3-B mount tell me to trying fitting the supplied bolts into the holes to find out which size to use, but I can't find any holes!

There's 4 pretty beefy bolts about the locations I would have expected to find the mounting holes, but I'm afraid to remove them. And if I do remove them, do I use those same bolts to attach the brackets, or the Sanus supplied ones. The Panasonic manual doesn't mention a word about mounting (or even about initial setup and use of the TV).

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bruce

I did not have the same mounting bracket but:

- You can remove those 4 screws.
- Your mount may or may not have alternate hardware that adapts their bracket to various plasmas. I suspect they provided them. There should have also been instructions.

If not and you are still uncomfortable, contact the reseller or manufacturer for specific instructions.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #206 of 5067 Old 09-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I did not have the same mounting bracket but:

- You can remove those 4 screws.
- Your mount may or may not have alternate hardware that adapts their bracket to various plasmas. I suspect they provided them. There should have also been instructions.

If not and you are still uncomfortable, contact the reseller or manufacturer for specific instructions.

- Rich

Thanks Rich. I really just needed someone to tell me it was OK to remove those screws. Outside of a fews cars over the years, this is the most expensive thing I've ever bought, and the thought of something inside the TV going "clunk" when I removed the screws scared the bejeebers out of me. The mount came with instructions describing "holes", and the Panasonic manual completely ignores the installation phase.

Thanks again for your help.

Bruce
post #207 of 5067 Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks Rich. I really just needed someone to tell me it was OK to remove those screws. Outside of a fews cars over the years, this is the most expensive thing I've ever bought, and the thought of something inside the TV going "clunk" when I removed the screws scared the bejeebers out of me. The mount came with instructions describing "holes", and the Panasonic manual completely ignores the installation phase.

Thanks again for your help.

Bruce

I would caution that I used a similar Sanus mount, and you should take some extra steps to be sure that you don't damage your precious. If you notice the holes are recessed, with plastic inserts behind the bolts. I left the plastic inserts in place... if you remove them then there is nothing for the spacers to rest on but the exterior of the TV. If you tighten it up without them in there I'd imagine you could do some nasty things to the Panny.

Sanus supplied several lengths of bolt with the mount in my case, but where these holes are recessed and requiring spacers even the longest one was a bit to short for my comfort level. I actually went to Home Depot and got longer bolts (I think 60mm x 8mm with 1.25mm thread if I recall correctly) to use for the mount. It worked out great, and my Sanus tilt-mount is solid as a rock.

Good luck, hopefully I didn't chime in too late to help
post #208 of 5067 Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post

I would caution that I used a similar Sanus mount, and you should take some extra steps to be sure that you don't damage your precious. If you notice the holes are recessed, with plastic inserts behind the bolts. I left the plastic inserts in place... if you remove them then there is nothing for the spacers to rest on but the exterior of the TV. If you tighten it up without them in there I'd imagine you could do some nasty things to the Panny.

Actually, I agnonized over whether to use the spacers, and ended up leaving them out. They were so long that the entire bracket ended up only touching the TV at the two mount screws. I thought it would be better to have the mount have full contact, but I was careful not to overtighten the screws.

I sure hope that my way is OK too

Bruce
post #209 of 5067 Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

Actually, I agnonized over whether to use the spacers, and ended up leaving them out. They were so long that the entire bracket ended up only touching the TV at the two mount screws. I thought it would be better to have the mount have full contact, but I was careful not to overtighten the screws.

I sure hope that my way is OK too

Bruce

I used a mount with spacers they provided. I would use the spacers.
The Plasma is designed to be mounted using these screws. The metal back is
not very sturdy. You may want to rethink that decision.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #210 of 5067 Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I used a mount with spacers they provided. I would use the spacers.
The Plasma is designed to be mounted using these screws. The metal back is
not very sturdy. You may want to rethink that decision.

With 2 votes for spacers, I decided to go along with the group's wisdom. I reinstalled the brackets using the spacers. CommanderData, those bolts seemed pretty short to me too, so whipped out to Ace at lunch to get some longer ones.

Thanks for helping a newbie through the scarey stuff.

Bruce
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page