The OFFICIAL Panasonic 9UK Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5067 Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couldn't find an owner's thread, so if there's already one let me know and I'll delete/request this be deleted.

Got my 9UK yesterday (it's been in since last FRIDAY but due to biz travel I didn't get home until night before last). Got it all put in (with a grand total of 1/8" clearance on either side... WHEW!), fired it up and... AAAAAAAAAARGH! 'Da panel, she's-a broken! Two rectangular vertical sections on the bottom mid-right are intermittent. One goes from black to displaying video normally. The other is worse and only has the red/green pixels operating with no blue. Pressing lightly on the "Panasonic" logo brings everything back to normal, however that has negative effects for viewing enjoyability.

Ok, despite that, the TV is INCREDIBLE! Mind you, I did not have a Panny before. My comparison is with a calibrated NEC PX42-XR3A. Immediate impressions were that cable SD looks better. The TV does a better job scaling SD to HD than my NEC did, and while it's still very soft, it's not the mush that the NEC was and retains some measure of detail. DVDs are beautiful! Even over the component inputs (ran out of HDMIs, got a switcher but need to put it in), Nemo, Fifth Element and Matrix Revolutions looked amazingly good for SD. Shadow detail on this TV blows the NEC into the weeds and the blacks are BLACK by comparison. I had to set the TV to Cinema mode and turn down the brightness a bit. By default it's in Dynamic and is so bright as to be painful in a somewhat dim room.

The NEC was always great on color and did subtle fleshtones and shading as well as lurid cartoonish colors with aplomb but the Panasonic is in another league. Overall I am thrilled with the panel. Now if I could just get a working one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5067 Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry to hear about your troubles, this is "not" a good start for the 9UK owner's thread. Was your PDP made in Japan or assembled in Mexico?
post #3 of 5067 Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM

Congrats on the new purchase!!! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having with it. Have you taken any steps to have it serviced? Its a commercial panel so you will have to lug it to a service center, but at least you can have that issue resolved.
post #4 of 5067 Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

It was assembled in Mexico with a July 2006 assembly date. The dealer I ordered it from fortunately will stand behind it. One of the few benefits to living in a fairly small city. Just called him so I'll report back with what was said.

post #5 of 5067 Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 AM

That's awesome. Definitely let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE : They picked up the TV today and are either going to repair or replace it. They believe it was damaged in shipping or delivery. IMO a panel connection was intermittent. Once it'd been on awhile, the problem would resolve itself. Also, pressing on the Panny logo lightly would fix it as well. I'm SO glad I didn't let the buyer of my old NEC pick it up yet!

post #7 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Is it OK to use the Connectors that VA supplies? Or should I get the Component 3-RCA to 3 BNCs? I looked on MonoPrice and couldn't find them.
post #8 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 PM

Hi Fellow owners! Well, my first full day with the 50" 9UK. The picture is fantastic. So... 9UK-er's, I wanted to bounce this off you....

Ah, burn-in. Well, I watched the Serenity HD-DVD... unreal picture quality. Of course, I changed the monitor to "Cinema" as the brightness is much lower than Standard or Dynamic.. and I thought that would be safe... well... just to be sure, every few minutes I zoomed to 2x to avoid the black bars top and bottom. Despite my best efforts, when the movie was over, there they were.... black bars top and bottom even when no input signal was present. I immediately FREAKED..... "Oh GOD.... I destroyed my new set!!!!!" Fortunately, a few minutes of full-screen TV reduced the issue and eventually it vanished. Whew! So my fellow owners... what are your "ultimate break-in 9UK settings"... I still have a LOT to read about the zillion settings this set has... but how are YOU handling break-in?
post #9 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardynas View Post

Is it OK to use the Connectors that VA supplies? Or should I get the Component 3-RCA to 3 BNCs? I looked on MonoPrice and couldn't find them.

I'm using the VA supplied BNC adapters to hook up my dvd player with my existing component cable. They seem to work just fine. Blue Jeans Cable carries BNC-RCA component cables.
post #10 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have not gotten my 50" 9Uk yet, comes on wed... WOOO HOOO
anywho.. I have a 42" 8UK and I just turned on my HD sat on discovery channel, and walked away... after setting for a little bit lower brightness and contrast..

let it run for a few days.. I don't know if it was necessary, but I have a great set.. and sweet picture... thats what Im going to do with the 50"...
who knows... but I can't wait till it gets here..
post #11 of 5067 Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post

Hi Fellow owners! Well, my first full day with the 50" 9UK. The picture is fantastic. So... 9UK-er's, I wanted to bounce this off you....

Ah, burn-in. Well, I watched the Serenity HD-DVD... unreal picture quality. Of course, I changed the monitor to "Cinema" as the brightness is much lower than Standard or Dynamic.. and I thought that would be safe... well... just to be sure, every few minutes I zoomed to 2x to avoid the black bars top and bottom. Despite my best efforts, when the movie was over, there they were.... black bars top and bottom even when no input signal was present. I immediately FREAKED..... "Oh GOD.... I destroyed my new set!!!!!" Fortunately, a few minutes of full-screen TV reduced the issue and eventually it vanished. Whew! So my fellow owners... what are your "ultimate break-in 9UK settings"... I still have a LOT to read about the zillion settings this set has... but how are YOU handling break-in?

I started out with cinema mode, but turned Picture down to 0 and Sharpness down to -1. The other settings are either 0 or -1. I used Avia and DVE to arrive at those settings, but I'll re-calibrate after 100 hours of break-in. As you've already learned, for the first 100 hours you want to avoid any kind of black bars. So I'm only watching SD in Just mode, recording HD and skipping through 4:3 commercials, and only watching 16:9 DVD's or zooming non-16:9 DVD's. I'm also running the break-in DVD when I'm at home and not watching something just to help get to the 100 hour mark. After 100 hours I still plan on limiting viewing of non 16:9 material for a few more weeks, just to be safe. HTH.
post #12 of 5067 Old 08-08-2006, 05:23 AM

Here's a question then... I have both my 8300HD cable box and Toshiba HD-DVD player connected via HDMI. I noticed the "aspect" button on the remote only displays "Full". How should I handle watching DVD's then so the screen is filled? Using the "Zoom" feature on the TV really cuts off quite a bit of the picture.
post #13 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Here's a question then... I have both my 8300HD cable box and Toshiba HD-DVD player connected via HDMI. I noticed the "aspect" button on the remote only displays "Full". How should I handle watching DVD's then so the screen is filled? Using the "Zoom" feature on the TV really cuts off quite a bit of the picture.

The aspect control will not work unless the 8300 is set to full screen. If the 8300 is zoomed, then the 9UK will not adjust the aspect. You can choose where to do any zooming. IMHO, the best zoomed picture is with the 8300 on normal and the Panny on "Just", but for breakin, the 8300 on Zoom2 eliminates the channel logo by zomming in past it.

I just got mine hooked up yesterday, and with my 8300 set on Auto DVI/HDMI, which displays the native resolution of the channel, the 8300 display says 480p regardless of whether I am on an HD station...

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Thanks...
post #14 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Did you run "Easy Setup"? I did and only 1080 appears on the screen. I'm not sure why I would want anything but 1080 no? Why would I want to even use the other resolutions?
post #15 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 12:37 PM

I just ordered my 42" 9UK, but I still have the problem that was making me hesitant to order. I want to receive over the air standard and HD/digital broadcast, as well as get basic cable without a box. Whether I go with satellite or HD cable in the future, I still would like to get the higher quality (not compressed) broadcasts. Anyone have any suggestions for a HDTV receiver. Would a DirectTV satellite receiver allow me do this?
post #16 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with (and this isn't really the TV's fault) is the quality of some HD programs.... I mean, I tried watching ROCKSTAR last night on CBS HD and it was anything but clear... it also was 4:3... Then switched to THE PRACTICE on ABC HD and it was absolutely STUNNING.. and 16:9 I might add.

Worst of all is The Simpsons.. even on HD.....
post #17 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with (and this isn't really the TV's fault) is the quality of some HD programs.... I mean, I tried watching ROCKSTAR last night on CBS HD and it was anything but clear... it also was 4:3... Then switched to THE PRACTICE on ABC HD and it was absolutely STUNNING.. and 16:9 I might add.

Worst of all is The Simpsons.. even on HD.....

If it's 4:3, even if you're on an HD channel, it's not HD. You can check the network programming schedules to see which programs are shot in HD, Rock Star is not one of them. But I've also noticed a difference in quality between different HD programming. Some of the best I've seen has been on Discovery HD Theater.
post #18 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM

So, just so I understand, there is no 4:3 HD programming? CBS for instance clearly states Big Brother and Rockstar are broadcast in HD. Yet, when I watched them last night, they were both HORRIBLE looking and 4:3 so what gives? So, then there's no point in recording, for instance, The Simpsons on FoxHD vs. regular Fox?
post #19 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:

So, just so I understand, there is no 4:3 HD programming? CBS for instance clearly states Big Brother and Rockstar are broadcast in HD. Yet, when I watched them last night, they were both HORRIBLE looking and 4:3 so what gives? So, then there's no point in recording, for instance, The Simpsons on FoxHD vs. regular Fox?

Right. If it's HD it'll be 16:9. Where does CBS state Big Brother and Rock Star are HD? When I look at their schedule HERE , it shows they are *not* HD. I see no point in recording 4:3 stuff on an HD channel. Might as well record on the SD channel.
post #20 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlieb View Post

I see no point in recording 4:3 stuff on an HD channel. Might as well record on the SD channel.

Right... waste of space. Some, but not enough difference in PQ.
Still way to much SD. I'm amazed that certain 'crap' shows are HD and others (excellent series like The Wire) are still SD. But that of course is OT and is overly discussed in other threads in other areas of the forum.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #21 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Hi, got my 9UK on Weds. Arrived early and w/o damage from VA. My thoughts are thus:
- it's a beautiful display
- HD looks fantastic
- SD is subpar, as compared to my prior Maxent 50" (costco)

I'm watching via DirecTV HR10-250 via HDMI 1080i. I've been told by others the lack of SD quality is due to the lack of processing power build into the 9UK as it is a commercial model and not meat to be watching broadcast TV. Also, the unit has a high pitch buzz which you can only hear if you're behind or to the side of the unit. Normal?
post #22 of 5067 Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Hey.... I just got my 50" 9UK in today... I ordered it from TVAthaurity... and I have to say, that their service and speed was top notch, even though I had some credit card issues from just moving and all the address change bullspit...

Arrived today from shipping company, and they were great as well... helped me bring it right in to the house, and take the box off for inspection... Not a scratch...
Not sure why, but my first 42" 8UK came with two boxes, (Inner and outer) and this one only had 1 box... but none the less, it was strapped onto a pallet and secure with no box damage at all... I signed the slip and turned it on... hooked up to dish hd... and she is beautiful....
post #23 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 AM

Hello All. I love this site.....just found it (stayed up past midnight last night reading it!) and registered and seems you folks ("Panny 9UK owners") would be the best ones to hopefully give me input on some questions that I have since you own and presumably have used now your Panny 9UK. Hope you allow this post as I'm not quite an "owner" yet, but have narrowed my choice of purchase to a 9UK, pending your guidance on the matter.

I am NEW at the A/V game and am in need of your expert guidance on whether I can achieve my "media/entertainment room" A/V goals with this Panny 9UK and the components which I plan on purchasing....basically I have a "clean state" to start with and will be buying all components (A/V reciever, DVD player, cabling, Universal remote, etc. ) and want to make sure I do it the right way and consider the right things in these purchases and setups.

My Personal A/V Requirements/Goals:
1) Watch cable "regular" and HD programming with hopefully capability to watch two channels at once with either PIP or slit screen.
2) Same as 1) above but slit or PIP between cable and DVD movie.
3) Connect laptop to 9UK and use as a monitor with ability to watch cable program at the same time, PIP or split screen.
4) Utilize my cable company's (Time Warner) HD DVR box if possible ( I want to continue to be able to "tape" and save cable programs) as my "tuner" but also want to keep things flexible enough to accept a change to Direct TV or Sat.
5) As 9UK will be hung on the wall, I want to minimize the number of cables going from monitor to component(s).
6) I want to use 1 Universal Remote to control all components.
7) I would like to connect my IPOD to this system for music playing and hopefully use 9UK and remote to control IPOD

Givens/Knowns:
1) I have Time Warner cable service.
2) Room prewired for surround sound.
3) After a lot of research, set on Panny Plasma and like the looks of the commercial model 9UK, but want to make sure that it can accomplish my goals.
4) Because I've never had an HD TV, both my current cable subscription and DVR box (Scientific Atlanta 8000) are not HD, I am assuming I need to get an HD DVR from my cable company for this room????

My Questions:
1) Can I accomplish my goals above with the Panny 9UK? If so, what guidance can you give me on :
a) Any needed "add-ons" to the 9UK which need to be purchased (i.e., HDMI "card"?)
b) What kind of cabling would you recommend?
c) I am looking at Yamaha A/V reciever(but not necessarily set on Yami)...what connections/capabilities do I need to make sure sure it possesses? (Budget for this = $500 - $1000)
d) What features/functions of the DVD should I makes sure I have?
e) Any guidance on things to consider with the cable company HD DVR?
f) Any guidance on type/brand of Universal Remote and tips for configuration?

2) Assuming this is all "do-able" per any guidance on components above, can you give me a brief summary of how you would connect the components in the most optimal fashion and how I need to configure them? ( I told you I was a "Newbie!)

ANy other guidance on things I might have missed above????

I am excited about entering this "new world" and will greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks!
post #24 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Well, based on everything I have read here, I have it set to standard with all settings at zero (no minus or plus at all). The picture really takes a hit from how it can look, but what's a measly 100 hrs in a 60,000 hr lifetime?

I don't watch any stations that I can't adjust the zoom on the SA8300HD or the aspect ratio on the 9UK to eliminate the letterboxing. Sucks, but that's what the DVR is for. If it's a show I really want to see, I record. After a day or two, I'll be over the 100 hrs and I can watch whatever I want.

I have not run the AVIA disc yet because I only want to run it once initially, after break in.

And yes, I have already found, talked with, received pricing from and lined up a reputable ISF trained dealer to calibrate it a week or two after I calibrate it with the AVIA. THis way, I have a week to see it with reduced settings during break in, I'll calibrate with AVIA and watch it a week and then finally have it calibrated professionally and then I'll finally be able to say it it was all worth it!
post #25 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish02 View Post

Hello All. I love this site.....just found it (stayed up past midnight last night reading it!) and registered and seems you folks ("Panny 9UK owners") would be the best ones to hopefully give me input on some questions that I have since you own and presumably have used now your Panny 9UK. Hope you allow this post as I'm not quite an "owner" yet, but have narrowed my choice of purchase to a 9UK, pending your guidance on the matter.

How many threads do you plan on posting the identical thing in?
post #26 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM

briefly, is there any difference in the 42" and 50" sets OTHER than size?

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
post #27 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedman232 View Post

briefly, is there any difference in the 42" and 50" sets OTHER than size?

resolution.
post #28 of 5067 Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustman View Post

resolution.

DOH...i was looking at both going "768p" but neglected to pay attention to the first number! So, does that mean the pixels are rectangular on the 42" and square on the 50"?

Ben Friedman
ben@ben.org
post #29 of 5067 Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 AM

Just received the 9UK yesterday. It looks great but I have two dead pixels. I've seen a couple of posts about dead pixels on this display so it may be something to consider when purchasing. I'm hoping the vendor will replace it. Anyone know what Panasonic's policy is for dead pixels on the 9UK?
post #30 of 5067 Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 AM

Wow. Dead pixels a little too common with this series? What gives? Don't they check for this in QC?

~~~ Happy Viewing ~~~

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page