Hello All. I love this site.....just found it (stayed up past midnight last night reading it!) and registered and seems you folks ("Panny 9UK owners") would be the best ones to hopefully give me input on some questions that I have since you own and presumably have used now your Panny 9UK. Hope you allow this post as I'm not quite an "owner" yet, but have narrowed my choice of purchase to a 9UK, pending your guidance on the matter.
I am NEW at the A/V game and am in need of your expert guidance on whether I can achieve my "media/entertainment room" A/V goals with this Panny 9UK and the components which I plan on purchasing....basically I have a "clean state" to start with and will be buying all components (A/V reciever, DVD player, cabling, Universal remote, etc. ) and want to make sure I do it the right way and consider the right things in these purchases and setups.
My Personal A/V Requirements/Goals:
1) Watch cable "regular" and HD programming with hopefully capability to watch two channels at once with either PIP or slit screen.
2) Same as 1) above but slit or PIP between cable and DVD movie.
3) Connect laptop to 9UK and use as a monitor with ability to watch cable program at the same time, PIP or split screen.
4) Utilize my cable company's (Time Warner) HD DVR box if possible ( I want to continue to be able to "tape" and save cable programs) as my "tuner" but also want to keep things flexible enough to accept a change to Direct TV or Sat.
5) As 9UK will be hung on the wall, I want to minimize the number of cables going from monitor to component(s).
6) I want to use 1 Universal Remote to control all components.
7) I would like to connect my IPOD to this system for music playing and hopefully use 9UK and remote to control IPOD
1) I have Time Warner cable service.
2) Room prewired for surround sound.
3) After a lot of research, set on Panny Plasma and like the looks of the commercial model 9UK, but want to make sure that it can accomplish my goals.
4) Because I've never had an HD TV, both my current cable subscription and DVR box (Scientific Atlanta 8000) are not HD, I am assuming I need to get an HD DVR from my cable company for this room????
1) Can I accomplish my goals above with the Panny 9UK? If so, what guidance can you give me on :
a) Any needed "add-ons" to the 9UK which need to be purchased (i.e., HDMI "card"?)
b) What kind of cabling would you recommend?
c) I am looking at Yamaha A/V reciever(but not necessarily set on Yami)...what connections/capabilities do I need to make sure sure it possesses? (Budget for this = $500 - $1000)
d) What features/functions of the DVD should I makes sure I have?
e) Any guidance on things to consider with the cable company HD DVR?
f) Any guidance on type/brand of Universal Remote and tips for configuration?
2) Assuming this is all "do-able" per any guidance on components above, can you give me a brief summary of how you would connect the components in the most optimal fashion and how I need to configure them? ( I told you I was a "Newbie!)
ANy other guidance on things I might have missed above????
I am excited about entering this "new world" and will greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me.