Experience in buying a Pioneer 5070 from an AVSForum sponsor. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After finding the Pioneer 5070 was in stock on TVAuthority WEB page 7/25/2006 I use the live chat feature on the TVAuthority home page and got an almost immediate response from Brian Meserve 1-888-286-5353 ext. 522. I told Brian I was an AVSForum member.

Brian asked my name on AVSForum and brought up my information from AVSForum. He said since I was a member he could let me have the Pioneer for (the AVSForum price) which included shipping and the pixel perfect guarantee. We discussed that I had to pay shipping back if I took advantage of the pixel perfect option. When I ended the online chat I received an email containing everything that was type on both sides within five minutes of terminating the chat.

The next day 7/26/2006 at 1211 PM I called Brian and placed the order using a credit card with TVAuthority. I told TVAuthority that I also wanted the RepairMaster two year extended warranty after the one year Pioneer warranty expired. I know it can be very costly if anything goes wrong with the plasma and for my piece of mind I justified the extended warranty.

Within ten minutes I had an email containing my Order information, order number and bill of invoice. I notice later in the day my credit amount available on my credit card had been reduced by the amount on the invoice. My credit card was not charged. The next day I got a call from my credit card company verifying that I had made the purchase. On 7/29/2006 the amount appeared on my credit card.

Brian gave me a delivery date of August 3, 4 or 7 depending on the shipping company. TVAuthority placed the order and the product is shipped from a Pioneer warehouse or a Pioneer major distributor warehouse. On 8/1/2006 at 4:30 PM I received an email from TVAuthority with my tracking number and the shipper was Target Logistic Services. Target Logistic had picked up the 5070 from Krystal Tech-Las Vegas on 7/31/2006 at 3:28 PM and I received a telephone call from Target Logistic 8/3/2006 at 1020 AM ready to deliver the plasma. The delivery truck was at my door August 3 at 1120 AM. The delivery person brought the box into my home and helps me unpack the plasma.

The box was in perfect condition and on unpacking I found the Pioneer 5070 to be in perfect working condition. TVAuthority told me that when I sign for the plasma to write on the delivery invoice (Subject to Inspection) and that would help if something was wrong.

My wife found one stuck pixel green left side 5 inches from the left side center of the screen when the screen was white. You have to be within one foot of the screen to see it when that area of the screen is white. AVSForum members had stated previously that it was almost impossible not to find two to four bad pixels. When I bought my previous Pioneer 4330 plasma in 2003 the 4330 had three stuck pixels. I am going to keep the 5070.

I would like to thank all the AVSForum members who write information on the plasma forum for that information and the wonderful Pioneer 4330 I currently watch help make my decision to buy the Pioneer 5070. I am using D-Nice settings for the 200 hours break in period and with those settings I can say the picture is far better then my Pioneer 4330. Using Pioneer recommended settings for the 5070 the picture is wonderful.

I thought a very long time before deciding to buy from a Pioneer Internet dealer. I could think of all kind of things that could go wrong. I had bought my 4330 plasma from a local brick and mortar store because I new I had someone local if I had problems. I am very satisfied with the service provided to me by TVAuthority. I highly recommend you consider the AVSForum sponsor TVAuthority when you decide to purchase your HDTV. :)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Good to hear! I'm glad everything worked out for you and wish more threads like these were posted instead of the 'others'.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

I had a very similar experience with TVA and am very happy.
Unlike you however, I did not examine the display close up to check for stuck pixels. If I did, I'd know where they were and I would automatically look at that area all the time and be slightly upset. If I can't see anything obvious from > 8ft away I am happy :)
post #4 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdeath
I had a very similar experience with TVA and am very happy.
Unlike you however, I did not examine the display close up to check for stuck pixels. If I did, I'd know where they were and I would automatically look at that area all the time and be slightly upset. If I can't see anything obvious from > 8ft away I am happy :)
You are very wise for if you cannot see them from where you watch then you never think about having stuck pixels. I wonder how often someone take advantage of the pixel perfect gurantee for it must be a hassle to repack the plasma and then pay shipping and arrange to have it picked up. Plus have to go back to your old setup while waiting for another one to be shipped.

Mike
post #5 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Pretty much same as my experience dealing with them on my 5070. I called them on the phone, talked to Aaron and everything he said happened. No question, I'd buy from them again.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNorman
You are very wise for if you cannot see them from where you watch then you never think about having stuck pixels. I wonder how often someone take advantage of the pixel perfect gurantee for it must be a hassle to repack the plasma and then pay shipping and arrange to have it picked up. Plus have to go back to your old setup while waiting for another one to be shipped.
i have an intermittent red pixel...on pure red scenes the red pixel is out for the most part...once the shade changes it starts to flash..and on most images. however, since blue and green seem to be dominant, i never notice it unless theres a red scene that lasts a long time and i happen to look at it. at this point i doubt ill use the PP guarantee because its too much hassle and extra money, although i am keeping my options open. there must be more of a problem wiht these NEC panels, because i saw a 5070 at BB that had a defective red pixel also. also, another forum member Djoel has a stuck blue or green pixel i believe. all in all if i HAD to have a bad pixel, id rather have an intermittent one than one thats always on. i dont see a spot at all on bright white or light scenes.

o and as far as waiting, TVA does a dropoff and pickup at the same time,so you dont have to be without a set. they charge you the back shipping.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-06-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell
i have an intermittent red pixel...on pure red scenes the red pixel is out for the most part...once the shade changes it starts to flash..and on most images. however, since blue and green seem to be dominant, i never notice it unless theres a red scene that lasts a long time and i happen to look at it. at this point i doubt ill use the PP guarantee because its too much hassle and extra money, although i am keeping my options open. there must be more of a problem wiht these NEC panels, because i saw a 5070 at BB that had a defective red pixel also. also, another forum member Djoel has a stuck blue or green pixel i believe. all in all if i HAD to have a bad pixel, id rather have an intermittent one than one thats always on. i dont see a spot at all on bright white or light scenes.

o and as far as waiting, TVA does a dropoff and pickup at the same time,so you dont have to be without a set. they charge you the back shipping.
I have made a conscience effort to forget that stuck pixel is there, as mater of fact it's not that bad.
When the blue screen is on between watching dvds it's disappear.
once my remote arrives from Pio which they send ground :confused: (I offerd the to pay over night)
I am tyring what dtrell suggested.
Bring up the setting to hight and gently massage the pixel,i f that doesn't work que sera sera!
Pq is the important thing here.

Not a huge deal.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel
Bring up the setting to hight and gently massage the pixel,i f that doesn't work que sera sera!
Do you have a plasma or an LCD with a stuck pixel?? Since you mentioned Pio I assume it's a plasma.
You can massage a plasma screen until you turn blue and all you'll achieve is smearing the glass. There is nothing mechanical involved (such as crystals in liquid suspension) to get "stuck". On a plasma, if it's dead it will always and forever be dead.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you have a plasma or an LCD with a stuck pixel?? Since you mentioned Pio I assume it's a plasma.
You can massage a plasma screen until you turn blue and all you'll achieve is smearing the glass. There is nothing mechanical involved (such as crystals in liquid suspension) to get "stuck". On a plasma, if it's dead it will always and forever be dead.

Yes you are correct it's a plasma.
Maybe I misunderstood what dtrell told me, but if any other member said to cut a chicken
neck and dance around my 5070 to get rid of the stuck pixel I would have done it in a flash.
Not my thing really, but the initial shock anything seem feasible not to far from what I have seen online with software to repair stuck/dead pixel.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
incorrect. there have been cases in other threads in this forum where people have gotten stuck pixels to work, and there is software out there that exercises them and can get them going again. you ARE correct about dead pixels however...as dead pixel is dead and isnt coming back. i believe that the red phosphor in mine is fine, but there is a problem on the board traces, as the pixel works intermittently depending on what the blue pixel does.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes you are correct it's a plasma.
Maybe I misunderstood what dtrell told me, but if any other member said to cut a chicken
neck and dance around my 5070 to get rid of the stuck pixel I would have done it in a flash.
Not my thing really, but the initial shock anything seem feasible not to far from what I have seen online with software to repair stuck/dead pixel.
wow djoel...and here i thought youwere going to do it just because i suggested it...LMAO
post #12 of 29 Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I have made a conscience effort to forget that stuck pixel is there, as mater of fact it's not that bad.
When the blue screen is on between watching dvds it's disappear.
once my remote arrives from Pio which they send ground :confused: (I offerd the to pay over night)
Pq is the important thing here.

Not a huge deal.

I wonder what these companies are thinking of. All tvs and monitors should have ZERO dead pixels.

We should make it a policy to not buy tvs from Mftr that allow tvs to leave their factory with defects.

Dammit! A dead pixel is a defect and we shouldnt let cos tell us that 4 to 6 dead pixels is normal. Its NOT!!.

I have a Viewsonic 19inchWB lcd monitor with zero dead pixels and an LG 42 EDTV with no dead pixels. Should I consider myself lucky because I got tvs/monitors with no defects? Thats BS.

Im not gonna get a Panasonic tv because I hear you guys say how they have dead pixels and will only buy from companies that have the fewest complaints.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

planes you better not buy a plasma TV at all then, because not only can they have defective pixels out of the box, but they can develop them over time. The first plasma I had was a vizo P50 that was perfect for 3 months, then developed a bad blue pixel. Anyone on here with a plasma that has 0 dead pixels, better keep an eye on them, because they can pop up in a month, a year, 2 years, or whenever. its just something you have to put up wiht with current flat panel techonology. any plasma or LCD can develop them over time.

as far as not dealing with co's that let defective sets go out, i agree with you, however there are simply too many people out there that will buy a set and not bitch about it, and most are too ignorant to even notice it if it was staring them in the face.

and yes you should consider yourself lucky...for now.........
post #14 of 29 Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
wow djoel...and here i thought youwere going to do it just because i suggested it...LMAO

I am going to try it. I just got the remote.
Playing with the setting as I write this, and once I am tired playing with the setting I am going for it.......I am rub, rubbing away.

Thanks again dtrell.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I installed the Pioneer 5070-HD on Thursday 8/3/2006 and I have watched it for one week today. I am really amazed how good standard analog COX cable is on this plasma. The plasma does an outstanding job of up converting the NTSC standard signal. I think high definition is really spectacular. Far superior pictures then I receive on my 2003 Pioneer 4330. Until now I thought the Pioneer 4330 had an outstanding picture.

However I do have a few dislikes that I will describe:

• Pioneer 5070 HDMI input ports only allow linear PCM (STERO 2ch). To get Dolby digital I have to hook my DIRECTV HR10-250HD TIVO up using component cables. Try to send Dolby digital via HDMI to the plasma you do not get sound on the plasma. Turns out the picture sent by my DIRECTV HR10-250 is better using component verse HDMI input for the Pioneer 5070 does a better job of up converting the picture then the HR10-250.

• Pioneer will not passed Dolby digital from its optical output terminal to the Dolby digital receiver if the input source is anything other then antenna A or antenna B.

• Sending PCM sound from the HR10-250 to the Pioneer 5070 and playing PCM to get sound on the Pioneer 5070 and the Sony receiver the sound has an audio delay (echo). I am using optical Dolby digital from the HR10-250 to the Sony receiver.

• Only antenna input A allows digital broadcast reception. This would not normally be a problem but cable card only works with antenna input A. I would like to receive the digital channels broadcast by COX Cable using cable card and still receive over the air digital signals from an attic antenna.

• TVGuide portion for the Pioneer 5070 lists stations that are not in my viewing area and not available via Cox Cable. Probably a function of TVGuide when you select the available Zip Codes for your area.

I believe this to be an outstanding plasma and I made the correct decision for me for I was considering between Panasonic 60 or 600, NEC, Hitachi and Pioneer. Using the AVSForum sponsor TV Authority allowed for a very decent price for the Pioneer. From reading the plasma forum most people are happy with their decision by choosing the brand they believe has the best picture and features for them.

Mike
post #16 of 29 Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike, here are some replies:

1. Does your DTV box allow you to output all formats over HDMI? if so, set the box that way. my sa8300hd cable box will allow all formats to be output from the HDMI port. that is how mine is connected. you wont get dolbydigital out if you use HDMI sound. on my cable box, i can use HDMI for video, but change the audio out to "dolby digital" from "HDMI", then i can get video and use my receiver for the DD.

2. ALL HDTVs are this way. its copy protection. they will not pass the DD signal out of the tv from cable or satellite, only from tuned in antenna digital channels.

3. yes, sending digital PCM out will result in a slight delay between the TV speaker and the receiver sound.

4. i agree with you on the antenna A being the only one with digital reception. its ********. they should have done like the sony XBR lcd's, have one input be cable only, and the other one be antenna only.

5. thats a function of TVGOS and has nothing to do with pioneer.

mike, have you noticed whether you have any dead or stuck pixels? seems to be a problem with these sets. keep in mind the only way to tell for sure is to use a test disc and blue green and red color fields.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mike, here are some replies:

1. Does your DTV box allow you to output all formats over HDMI? if so, set the box that way. my sa8300hd cable box will allow all formats to be output from the HDMI port. that is how mine is connected. you wont get dolbydigital out if you use HDMI sound. on my cable box, i can use HDMI for video, but change the audio out to "dolby digital" from "HDMI", then i can get video and use my receiver for the DD.

Yes. I think I have a problem with the HDMI port on the DIRECTV HR-10-250. The picture is breaking up just like when you receive a very weak digital over the air or receiving a satellite signal in a thunderstorm. I have to set the HR-10-250 to record PCM or Dolby digital so I set it to Dolby digital so I can later play Dolby digital on my Sony receiver. I think I will stay with the component connections for the Pioneer does a better job of scaling the 1080i signal coming from the HR10 then the HR10.
2. ALL HDTVs are this way. its copy protection. they will not pass the DD signal out of the tv from cable or satellite, only from tuned in antenna digital channels.

3. yes, sending digital PCM out will result in a slight delay between the TV speaker and the receiver sound.

4. i agree with you on the antenna A being the only one with digital reception. its ********. they should have done like the sony XBR lcd's, have one input be cable only, and the other one be antenna only.

I would like that for my Samsung 160 DIRECTV, cable and over the air combines all signals in one list. I get NTSC cable, Satellite and over the air NTSC and High Def. all together.
5. thats a function of TVGOS and has nothing to do with pioneer.

mike, have you noticed whether you have any dead or stuck pixels? seems to be a problem with these sets. keep in mind the only way to tell for sure is to use a test disc and blue green and red color fields

Midscreen five inches from the left side I have one stuck green pixel. Have to be within a foot to see it after searching for it. On my Pioneer 4330 I found three stuck pixels black when I bought it in 2003. Again you cannot find them if you are more then a foot from the screen. I was told on this forum in 2003 to expect three or four bad pixels. Most manufacturers will not replace their plasma’s unless you can see the bad pixels from where you watch..
See above for the answers to your questions.

Mike
post #18 of 29 Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

man ive seen all kinds of people with bad pixels on the 7th gen series...maybe pioneer needs to tighten up their Q/C or give NEC back their plants...
post #19 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It is amazing what peaple will do to save a buck.. No way i would order something and KNOW im stuck with it if i dont like it. And a tv, especially a plasma is a pretty big purchase. Dead pixel? Too bad..Just dont like it? lol.. I cant believe peaple take the risk, unless you know you have a 30day return policy which 99% online stores wont give you. Were is Customer satisfaction at these places? there is none.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues
It is amazing what peaple will do to save a buck.. No way i would order something and KNOW im stuck with it if i dont like it. And a tv, especially a plasma is a pretty big purchase. Dead pixel? Too bad..Just dont like it? lol.. I cant believe peaple take the risk, unless you know you have a 30day return policy which 99% online stores wont give you. Were is Customer satisfaction at these places? there is none.
With TVA's pixel perfect guarantee for AVS members I could send my 5070 back 4+ times, even paying return shipping, and still come out cheaper than If I had purchased the set from BestBuy.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure but what if there were no bad pixels, and you just did not like the tv at home?
post #22 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues
Sure but what if there were no bad pixels, and you just did not like the tv at home?
TVA has a "5 star program"; you can return the set within 30 days for any reason, no questions asked:

http://www.tvauthority.com/5starprogram.asp

Even before I purchased I saw the set in person at a local store to make sure it was everything I wanted.
In this situation, granted you're out return shipping but you do have an out.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

grimdeath, i believe their pixel perfect guarantee only allows for one exchange.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even before I purchased I saw the set in person at a local store to make sure it was everything I wanted.

Ahh yes just like couples getting married :rolleyes: It really dont matter how it looks in the store, at home it just might not live up to your expectations and might have some drawbacks you did not see in the store. Then what? Too bad. And i dont like that :o
post #25 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
grimdeath, i believe their pixel perfect guarantee only allows for one exchange.
I don't know the particulars there; maybe someone else can comment.
In any case, you have out's with TVA. When you consider that I saved more than $1400 over BB for the exact same product including an extended 5yr warranty I think the small inconvenience of paying for return shipment is well worth it ($1400 is not small change).
post #26 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know the particulars there; maybe someone else can comment.
In any case, you have out's with TVA. When you consider that I saved more then $1,400 over BB for the exact same product including an extended 5yr warranty I think the small inconvenience of paying for return shipment is well worth it ($1400 is not small change).
Per the first read in this forum if I had to pay nearly the MSRP for the Pioneer 5070 at a local Brick and Mortar store plus 8.5% sales tax I probably would not have bought the set. I have been a member of this forum since 2001 and have come to believe that most plasma have at least one stuck pixel that you can see when you get with in one foot of the screen. You need to feed the screen all white, all blue, all red and all green to be certain. Manufactures will not allow you to return a plasma with a stuck pixel unless you can see them from normal watching distance. My Pioneer 4330 has three stuck pixels and the new Pioneer 5070 has one. Both sets you have to look for a long time and be with in a foot of the screen to locate them. Since July 2003 I have made it my hoppy when going to any electronic store of searching for stuck pixels. They are there and on all brands. Of course I had the option with TVA of returning the set. TVA would drop ship a new set and pick up the old set at the same time. That set no matter what the brand would have had stuck pixels. I very happy to only have one. :)

Mike
post #27 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
With TVA's pixel perfect guarantee for AVS members I could send my 5070 back 4+ times, even paying return shipping, and still come out cheaper than If I had purchased the set from BestBuy.
I believe th PPG is only a one time swap.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1
I believe th PPG is only a one time swap.
thanks for reiterating what i said in post 23 above.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNorman
Per the first read in this forum if I had to pay nearly the MSRP for the Pioneer 5070 at a local Brick and Mortar store plus 8.5% sales tax I probably would not have bought the set. I have been a member of this forum since 2001 and have come to believe that most plasma have at least one stuck pixel that you can see when you get with in one foot of the screen. You need to feed the screen all white, all blue, all red and all green to be certain. Manufactures will not allow you to return a plasma with a stuck pixel unless you can see them from normal watching distance. My Pioneer 4330 has three stuck pixels and the new Pioneer 5070 has one. Both sets you have to look for a long time and be with in a foot of the screen to locate them. Since July 2003 I have made it my hoppy when going to any electronic store of searching for stuck pixels. They are there and on all brands. Of course I had the option with TVA of returning the set. TVA would drop ship a new set and pick up the old set at the same time. That set no matter what the brand would have had stuck pixels. I very happy to only have one. :)
mike, dont forget flashing or dead pixels also. my one red pixel flashes sometimes and is dead sometimes...ive said before i think there a short of some kind in the traces...byt whatever, its not noticeable normally and the picture is great...enjoy your set mike as will i.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page