LCD/ PLasma Screen Cover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know of a product that covers and protects a LCD screen. I'm purchasing a XBR3 46 inch LCD from sony and need somthing to protect the screen. I have a toddle and a 6 year old. Something stylish to cover the screen when I'm not around.

MEasurements are

50 inch width
32 inch hieght
13 inch dept
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2006, 05:30 AM

I haven't seen anything like that for about 30 years, when there was a "glare protector" that came with a Sears 19" tube. That was like a shoe box top made of a tinted smoke plastic that slipped onto the front of the whole TV, obviously a custom thing that only worked with that model.

You may find something out there (try Google search), or you could make one from a sheet of plexiglass from a "Home Depot- like" place, using velcro fasterners from the top. Yes, it would distort the picture a bit, but do you really think the toddler will notice, or care?? You could cut a sheet to size, and get velcro tabs with the peel off sticky backs. Be carefull with where you put the tabs so that you don't cover things like the IR remote sensor or a light level sensor, and remember that geting the tabs off of the TV could be difficult (remember NEVER to use anything with acetone (nail polish remover), because it dissolves plastic. I've seen velcro in white and black, so pick the one that best blends with your TV's color.

Something to keep in mind though, wherever you get such a protector, it's not going to prove a lot of protection against an impact - like a child throwing something at it. That's because the TVs were talking about here are quite big, and plexiglass is not very stiff, meaning that your protector would spread the force (better than nothing, in that regard), but not stop all of it. On the other hand, if you want to protect from scratches and fingerprints, this could be a viable approach. Thicker plexiglass would be stiffer, but also heavier, and would have more effect on the picture quality.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-13-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not looking for something to permanentl attach to my LCd. Only something to cover the screen while I'm not watching
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page