post #31 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Gaming for two hours on a new PDP set to torch mode... what did he expect? :rolleyes:

Plasma Facts and Myths. Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective
The biggest problem is that the general public is not educated. He did research on burn in but wasn't educated on the break in period. IMO sales reps should be educated and required to explain this to anyone who purchases a TV. Most people are just not informed and even those that do research will still get mixed opinions on this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032
The biggest problem is that the general public is not educated. He did research on burn in but wasn't educated on the break in period. IMO sales reps should be educated and required to explain this to anyone who purchases a TV. Most people are just not informed and even those that do research will still get mixed opinions on this matter.
Unless your buying from a specialized AV store my guess is that you probably won't get an adequately educated sales rep. The right thing would be for manufacturers to put the info clearly in the manuals. Unless you knew enough to dig out Panny's white paper most consumers wouldn't have a clue if burn-in or IR is a problem & how to minimize it.
post #33 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBlaster
Unless your buying from a specialized AV store my guess is that you probably won't get an adequately educated sales rep. The right thing would be for manufacturers to put the info clearly in the manuals. Unless you knew enough to dig out Panny's white paper most consumers wouldn't have a clue if burn-in or IR is a problem & how to minimize it.
I agree. I do think they SHOULD educate the customer though I know it will never happen.
post #34 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm in a state of confusion as well with IR:confused:. My brother got the 37PX60U about a week ago and called me in fit thinking he had burn in. After only 2 hours of playing NCAA Football on the 360 he could see the scores on screen...
Just a follow up on my brother's plasma it turns out it was IR. I told him to let his TV run overnight and put it in stretch mode and turn the contrast down 1/2 way and the NCAA scores are now gone. It turns out that his settings were saved on VIVID mode but it reverted back to the original max contrast settings. I'm not sure why Panasonic defaults to VIVID even if it does make their set stand out on the showroom floor because whites are majorly crushed at this high of a setting.

He also bought his plasma as an open box and he looked up the service menu setting only to find out that his 1 week old plasma already has 1000 hours on it!!! I guess someone already broke it in for him:rolleyes:.
post #35 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Just a follow up on my brother's plasma it turns out it was IR. I told him to let his TV run overnight and put it in stretch mode and turn the contrast down 1/2 way and the NCAA scores are now gone. It turns out that his settings were saved on VIVID mode but it reverted back to the original max contrast settings. I'm not sure why Panasonic defaults to VIVID even if it does make their set stand out on the showroom floor because whites are majorly crushed at this high of a setting.

He also bought his plasma as an open box and he looked up the service menu setting only to find out that his 1 week old plasma already has 1000 hours on it!!! I guess someone already broke it in for him:rolleyes:.

You can actually check out how many hours your TV has with the Panasonics? I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out.
post #36 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital517
You can actually check out how many hours your TV has with the Panasonics?
Yes. ;)

http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=81
post #37 of 39 Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi

Thanks! logged on 161 hours so far on my plasma!
post #38 of 39 Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok Ok, this thread has made me a convert !

I was the guy who said IR (image retention) is just hocus-pocus! But after experienceing it first hand, I say now that IR is for real.

I say this because the "burn in" which I reported by starting this thread is GONE! :D

YESSSS SIRE! the burn-in is gone now. :D

What did I do? Frankly...nothing.

Well, I did reduce the brightness for a few days, and I also change the power save mode to "mode 2" for a few days...which was really dim. BUt I have just changed those two things back to normal.

All I am going to do is to make sure the screen is maximised and the image is not too bright....and not worry too much about IR or BI or other things.

-Rajiv

Oh by the way, I did do the calibration as iin the master PDP thread...but it has made the black detail go away! I mean the details in blacks are not there anymore. I guess I will have to tweak it more.

-Rajiv
post #39 of 39 Old 08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
actually, it would have gone away quicker had you just watched regular content in a bright mode, which would get rid of the image quicker.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page