Hooking audio to and from a Pioneer Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Okay I asked the following question in the receiver forum and got the response below. Can anyone tell me if the Pioneer xx70 series will do what it needs to for my hook up or do I need more cables now??? (I hate not being an audio guy and knowing these answers, sorry!!!)

My question:

Question, now that the reciever is here and the new Plasma is coming soon and I am purchasing a new DVD player, question on hook up.

I planned on running cables this way:

HDMI from the Cable Box to the TV, an HDMI from the DVD player to the TV, a S-video from the VCR to the TV. Then running a single optical cable from the TV to the reciever.

Since everything I do is through the TV (i.e. I can't recall the last time I played a music CD on my DVD player, I just watch movies) is this satisfactory? Am I loosing anything? Seems to simple for some reason, like I am missing something (now I have wires running all over the place).

I have the new Pioneer VSX-1016, I am getting the Pioneer plasma (2 HDMI inputs).

Any insight would be appeciated.

Response:

The optical out on most TVs will only pass Dolby Digital from the internal HDTV tuner. They will not pass Dolby Digital from the from the other inputs. You will probably only get stereo if using your TV as the switching device.

I would check with your TV's instuction manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You make no mention of other audio cables. As the original response says, the optical output from the TV will not have audio for all cases most likely.

Where is the audio hookup for the VCR?

I would have digital audio (coax or optical) running from the cable box to the receiver, and also from the DVD player to the receiver as well. You will probably need analog audio (red white) cables going from the VCR to the receiver as well.

You have routed all your video sources directly to the TV which is a good thing. You should just apply this same principle to the audio sources going to the receiver and you should be all set. The only bad thing about this setup is when you choose a source, you will need to select the correct input on both the receiver and TV.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG
You make no mention of other audio cables. As the original response says, the optical output from the TV will not have audio for all cases most likely.

Where is the audio hookup for the VCR?

I would have digital audio (coax or optical) running from the cable box to the receiver, and also from the DVD player to the receiver as well. You will probably need analog audio (red white) cables going from the VCR to the receiver as well.

You have routed all your video sources directly to the TV which is a good thing. You should just apply this same principle to the audio sources going to the receiver and you should be all set. The only bad thing about this setup is when you choose a source, you will need to select the correct input on both the receiver and TV.
I thought that is what HDMI would give you, one cable to pass everything. If I am hooking the DVD player up via HDMI why do I have to pass seperate audio to a reciever? The TV is already recieving its audio via the HDMI (because you don't need a receiver to listen to the TV) so why seperate cables to the reciever??

I forgot the VCR part, that would be composite audio to the TV.

Trying to eliminate all the cables, switching between sources on the reciever, etc. I thought HDMI helped in this regard???

Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 PM

I can't really speak to HDMI audio since I personally haven't used it. If what the poster said in the original response is correct, the TV won't output audio received from HDMI inputs, only DD audio from the internal HDTV tuner.

I have no idea whether this is correct or not. It will be an easy test for you to see when you get it hooked up. In theory, there is nothing wrong with letting the TV doing the audio switching, however, you *might* run into audio sync issues. I'm not saying you definitely will, but in order to minimize this chance is why I suggested running audio to the receiver directly. I definitely uderstand your desire for simplicity.

You are running a sound system right? Are you actually using the TV speakers?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM

Oh, and I seriously doubt the TV will convert analog audio from your VCR to digital and output it in optical format. But that would be really cool if it did.

If it doesn't your VCR audio will only work over the TV speakers, and not your sound system.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't really speak to HDMI audio since I personally haven't used it. If what the poster said in the original response is correct, the TV won't output audio received from HDMI inputs, only DD audio from the internal HDTV tuner.

I have no idea whether this is correct or not. It will be an easy test for you to see when you get it hooked up. In theory, there is nothing wrong with letting the TV doing the audio switching, however, you *might* run into audio sync issues. I'm not saying you definitely will, but in order to minimize this chance is why I suggested running audio to the receiver directly. I definitely uderstand your desire for simplicity.

You are running a sound system right? Are you actually using the TV speakers?
I don't always fire up the receiver, sometimes we just watch a show or movie without it, sometimes I game (360) without it, etc. but yes, I have the Pioneer VSX-1016 reciever so I do have a sound system.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM

If you want all sources to be able to be heard over the TV speakers and your sound system, I'm afraid your audio setup will get messy. But who knows, maybe Pioneer put a kick butt audio switching system in the TV, I just highly doubt it. If not, you will probably need audio cables going from all sources to the TV AND to the receiver to achieve your desired flexibility.

I just program macros in my remote to handle the powering on and switching of audio sources so I always use the sound system. My wife doesn't mind too much :p
Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you want all sources to be able to be heard over the TV speakers and your sound system, I'm afraid your audio setup will get messy. But who knows, maybe Pioneer put a kick butt audio switching system in the TV, I just highly doubt it. If not, you will probably need audio cables going from all sources to the TV AND to the receiver to achieve your desired flexibility.

I just program macros in my remote to handle the powering on and switching of audio sources so I always use the sound system. My wife doesn't mind too much :p
Well, worse case scenerio I run the HDMI to the TV and audio to the reciever (that is how I kind of had it hooked up with my old receiver and old TV). Guess I have to play with it to find out.

Anyone else on here have experience or thoughts on this?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You have two problems

Most TVs negotiate the audio down to stereo, so you will not have surround anywhere if you run everything through it.

Most TVs don't pass audio from their inputs to their digital audio output. They only supply digital audio output from their tuner.

So, while it sounds like a great plan, you're probably going to be disappointed.

To make matters worse some source devices disable their digital audio output or only put out stereo on it when you have HDMI connected.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
To make matters worse some source devices disable their digital audio output or only put out stereo on it when you have HDMI connected.
holy cow... i didn't know that. When I go shopping for a new DVD player I will have make sure it doesn't do something stupid like that.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
You have two problems

Most TVs negotiate the audio down to stereo, so you will not have surround anywhere if you run everything through it.

Most TVs don't pass audio from their inputs to their digital audio output. They only supply digital audio output from their tuner.

So, while it sounds like a great plan, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I can verify this. I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-ES35VS to connect via HDMI to my Pioneer 4360 plasma. I cannot, for the life of me, get the audio to come through. I turned the audio outputs on/off on both devices and can only get video. It appears that 1 of 2 things is happening:

a. The Pioneer turns off the audio input when selecting the HDMI input
b. The HDMi protocol between them isn't handshaking correctly.

I guess it's separate audio/video streams.....
Old 08-14-2006, 06:37 PM

I have the Pioneer 4360, and my plan is to go straight from the cable box (SA8300) with optical to the HK AVR140 5.1 audio receiver, and straight from my DVD player (oppo 971) with digital coax to the audio receiver.
I didn't bother with the on-board speakers for the PDP, so I don't care about getting audio to it...

My question is - can audio sync be an issue with this type of audio stream, completely skipping the TV?
I have heard intermittent, unconfirmed reports that this can happen...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Schteevie, the Oppo has a audio delay setting you can use if your receiver doesn't have this feature.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM

WilliamR, I think the optical out is for OTA reception getting DD to your receiver for HTR sound. Your receiver should assign the sound as either through amp (Optical) Or passthrough (HDMI) it won"t let you have it both ways and then sync the signal to your display input which would also eliminate trying to use one cable for 2 audio sources, you would have to physcially go into the settings and resync everytime you switched sources or audio, and I'm not even sure that would work since I never tried it, I have the elite 82 but is not hooked up yet, althought my hookup will be a little different than yours I plan on having the option of listening to the Pio6070 through its speakers for certain viewing to keep the wife happy. The way I plan on doing it is through one of the harmony remotes and just have a TV2 setting activity with TV speaker only settings, but whatever, you have to use an optical from each source to your receiver, one just will not cut it.

Cheers Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM

That Pioneer reciever has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output....

HDMI from the STB to the reciever.
HDMI from the DVD to the reciever.
HDMI from the reciever to the Pio Plasma

And this would still leave you with an extra HDMI input on the plasma.

This IMO would be a good start and give you alot of flexibilty for the rest.
I agree with SeattleMike about the TV2 setup for Plasma speakers only.

Rick -
On the Beach
Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM

The Pioneer HDMI input ports only accepts PCM audio. If you try to feed it Dolby Digital you will not get any sound on the Pioneer 5070. ALL HDMI's are this way. its copy protection. It will not pass the DD signal out of the tv from cable or satellite, only from tuned in antenna digital channels. Sending digital PCM out will result in a slight delay between the TV speaker and the receiver sound.

To get Dolby Digital you need to run a toslink or cable digital audio from the device to your receiver plus connecting the device to your Pioneer 5070. You must set the device to output PCM only to the Pioneer 5070 using the HDMI input ports.

Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNorman
The Pioneer HDMI input ports only accepts PCM audio. If you try to feed it Dolby Digital you will not get any sound on the Pioneer 5070. ALL HDMI's are this way. its copy protection. It will not pass the DD signal out of the tv from cable or satellite, only from tuned in antenna digital channels. Sending digital PCM out will result in a slight delay between the TV speaker and the receiver sound.

To get Dolby Digital you need to run a toslink or cable digital audio from the device to your receiver plus connecting the device to your Pioneer 5070. You must set the device to output PCM only to the Pioneer 5070 using the HDMI input ports.
Agreed - with regard to my earlier post, I should of stated - use the HDMI connections for Video only and Toslink/CoAx the Audio.

Rick -
On the Beach
Old 08-16-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNorman
You must set the device to output PCM only to the Pioneer 5070 using the HDMI input ports.
If I set the device to output like this, is it still going to output on the optical side too? Sounds like you tell it to output to the HDMI so does this prevent it from outputing on the optical?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR
If I set the device to output like this, is it still going to output on the optical side too? Sounds like you tell it to output to the HDMI so does this prevent it from outputing on the optical?
No it output on the optical also. In my case I am using the DIRECTV HR10-250 TIVO and you have to tell the TIVO to record the program in PCM or Dolby Digital. If the program is recorded in PCM then the HR10 can only output PCM on the optical port.

If the Pioneer 5070 receive PCM then it is going to output PCM on the optical output port.

Mike
Old 08-16-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So tell the Tivo/box to record in Dolby Digital? But when viewing tell it PCM? Just making sure I got it straight, sorry for sounding dumb, this is not something that is up my alley.