Philips Plasma vs Samsung DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy an HDTV this weekend and would like some expert input. I have found a referbed Philips 42PF7220A Plasma 42" (model suffers from BS) for $1,000 shipped and a Samsung S4666W 46" DLP shipped for about $1,300 new.

I am familiar with most of the ins and outs of the two but would still like input. I would assume that these referbs exist because of the widespread BS problem and that Philips would have most likely corrected it if they are sending out these referbs. How realiable is this TV? Should I just stary away and buy the Samsung?

I am also going to hook my XBox 360 up to it, is the refresh rate on Plasma too low for gaming? If something was to happen to the Philips, how much do they usually cost to repair? $1,000 seems like a steal, I just don't want a $1,000 blank screen.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sounds to me like you are making alot of assumptions about the Philips refurb - how do you know it is really a Philips factory refurb? Is it from the Philips outlet ( http://www.outlet.philips.com ), or somewhere else? IMHO it's one thing to buy a refurb electronics item for under $100 that you could toss (albeit unhappily) if the deal goes bad - and quite another to drop $1000 sight unseen on a refurb. I would *only* do that if the dealer is rock solid with a really good return policy.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The seller is the Philips Outlet. One other question, watching standard 4:3 on the TV, will it burn black bars in?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaemish
The seller is the Philips Outlet. One other question, watching standard 4:3 on the TV, will it burn black bars in?
Don't worry, it won't work long enough to have burn in. :rolleyes: I know from experience and I bought one new. It's been down for two months with no resolution in sight. What's the warranty on the refurb?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
ATM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Warranty is only 90 days, was also considering buying this, but the terms of sales said that no refund would be given to purchasers of refurbed equipment, only exchange or repair. Given the track record on customer service, I decided to wait and get a Panny when I have a few more $$.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, its that bad? I like th epicture on the plasma's much more than the DLPs but I don't think the risk is worth it. Has anyone had one of these over a year without any problems?
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page