Shipping a 50" plasma across country... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience shipping a plasma? I am moving from Washington, DC to San Francisco, CA in a couple months. I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U that I need to ship since I will not be driving a moving truck across country. I would appreciate any and all advice you can provide me about shipping (i.e. any packaging tips other than the original box, shipping company to use, pricing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

how is your furniture getting there?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2006, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce
how is your furniture getting there?
Selling my current furniture on craigslist and buying new furniture on the west coast. I don't have much stuff. I just graduated from college.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I shipped a 50" Fujitsu plasma from NJ to Ca with no problem (it was expensive: the buyer paid $500.00 shipping charges for 3 day air service)

-you must use the original box
-you must use a carrier that will fully insure it: many carriers specifically exclude plasma displays from insurance

a couple of years ago a member shipped his plasma by FedX and insured it for full value: it arrived with shattered glass: FedX paid him $150.00 and showed him the fine print that said that was the limit of insurance on a plasma even though he had insured it for $5000.00: he had no recourse

there is a big difference between distributors shipping plasmas( they have special deals with carriers) and an individual reshipping one: be very careful

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
I shipped a 50" Fujitsu plasma from NJ to Ca with no problem (it was expensive: the buyer paid $500.00 shipping charges for 3 day air service)

-you must use the original box
-you must use a carrier that will fully insure it: many carriers specifically exclude plasma displays from insurance

a couple of years ago a member shipped his plasma by FedX and insured it for full value: it arrived with shattered glass: FedX paid him $150.00 and showed him the fine print that said that was the limit of insurance on a plasma even though he had insured it for $5000.00: he had no recourse

there is a big difference between distributors shipping plasmas( they have special deals with carriers) and an individual reshipping one: be very careful

Is there anything cheaper for slower shipping?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Well since you apparently don't have the original box and packaging i think it will be hard to find a company that can ship it across the country for you. I have seen a few posts here where people have found a company that custom-packaged the display and shipped it but i seem to remember it was like a thousand dollars which might have been worth it a few years ago when plasmas were $5000+, but not now.

Can you aquire an original 50PX60 box somewhere locally? Maybe contact a Circuit City store or CC regional wharehouse where their drivers return unwanted boxes after delivering all the plasmas on their route. Maybe they'd let you take a returned box instead of them disposing of it. If you find a shipper than can ship the plasma without damaging it and offers full insurance then you'll pretty much need an original box with all the foam packing. You could build a big box out of plywood but the last guy that did that ended up with a shattered plasma when it arrived at it's destination.

The CC guys that delivered my plasma tried to take my box but i stopped them and had em take it back off the truck and leave it on the ground, where i promptly hung it from the rafters in the garage.

Or you could just sell the plasma locally and buy a new one when you arrive in your new town.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Well since you apparently don't have the original box and packaging i think it will be hard to find a company that can ship it across the country for you. I have seen a few posts here where people have found a company that custom-packaged the display and shipped it but i seem to remember it was like a thousand dollars which might have been worth it a few years ago when plasmas were $5000+, but not now.

Can you aquire an original 50PX60 box somewhere locally? Maybe contact a Circuit City store or CC regional wharehouse where their drivers return unwanted boxes after delivering all the plasmas on their route. Maybe they'd let you take a returned box instead of them disposing of it. If you find a shipper than can ship the plasma without damaging it and offers full insurance then you'll pretty much need an original box with all the foam packing. You could build a big box out of plywood but the last guy that did that ended up with a shattered plasma when it arrived at it's destination.

The CC guys that delivered my plasma tried to take my box but i stopped them and had em take it back off the truck and leave it on the ground, where i promptly hung it from the rafters in the garage.

Or you could just sell the plasma locally and buy a new one when you arrive in your new town.

I actually do have the original box. The plasma is brand new and unopened. I ordered it online (scheduled for tuesday delivery), and I found out out-of-the-blue that I will be moving to CA for grad school (didnt think I would be accepted). I will try to contact the shipping company and reroute my shipment to CA if possible.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good News. I was able to work out a deal with 6th Ave Electronics and the shipping company they used. I redirected shipment of my plasma to California for a pretty reasonable $200.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page