today's the day - help me pick one of two 42-in plasmas before I just flip a coin - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've ruled out the panny commercial models as I would need to throw down an extra 500 for a table stand and hdmi or dvi board (and for that price one could probably find a 50inch 60u).

Ok, so now I'm down to:

42px60u or 42px6u (consumer panny's) - very good picture, very bad clayface on vivid, still some noticeable clayface in normal and with all settings turned down. Moreover, the bezel makes me want to cry. Who designs these things?

Samsung 4253 - good picture, good bezel - people have said blacks aren't as deep, but in my local hi-fi store (with a dark viewing room) the blacks were completely indistinguishable from the panasonic next to it. Colors are a little more punchy, a little less realistic - which I suppose is a matter of taste. Couldn't see clayface with settings turned down, but I keep reading that it's been a problem w/ these sets. But on the plus side, the bezel isn't gag-inducing.

and a dark-horse candidate: the new costco 50-inch maxent 50hpm20. Same pricepoint as those above on their best days, and the box claims Japanese made glass (which unless I'm mistaken narrows it down to Panasonic or Toshiba-made). I am, however, a little worried about everything else (processor, longevity, etc). I know "nobody ever regrets going bigger" - but what about this case?

Someone push me into one of these camps. I want to pull the trigger today :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 AM

I'm looking at a Panasonic and Samsung plasma. The Samsung seems to have more burn-in protection and the body style looks better IMO, but a lot of people say Panasonic makes the best plasma. Hell, I'm still looking at every damn thing in regards to HDTV. I can't make up my mind. However, I had different people tell me at stores like Best Buy to stay away from Maxent.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I had people at bestbuy tell me the exact same thing re: maxent.

But in fairness, the kid also claimed that plasma "couldn't touch the inky black levels offered by these lcd's."

So I don't know how much of it he was just making up, how much of it was based on the margins of the various TV's and how much of the time he was accidently telling me the truth.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 11:08 AM

I gave my review of the Samsung in it's thread this morning if you want to check it out.

Got it last Friday and am very, very happy with it.

In the end, whichever one you get, I'm sure you will be pleased.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hitachi 42HDS69. I thought the Hitachi has the best picture IMHO. Everyone has different takes on pictures. 1080i native resolution, 3 HDMI's & 3 Component inputs. It's a win-win scenario. Take a peek down @ CC.

Good Luck!

Alex
post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You may want to look at the 42" Panasonic clone sold by HP, the PL4200N. It is discontinued but CompUSA has some in stock that are being sold for about 50% off MSRP. It is basically the same as the Panasonic 42PX50U, but better looking.

"The truth is out there!"
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 706
post #8 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 02:36 PM

If your going to go for the 42PX60U, I'd get the 6U instead. Basically the same set & you get the Costco great return policy.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
But less inputs.

I was deciding between the Samsumg and Panasonic as well (plus the westinghouse). After I got the Panasonic I saw the Maxent in a Best Buy and briefly had a case of buyers remorse due to the larger size and increased bang/buck factor.

Now a few months later I am loving my panasonic and have no regrets. The Samsung is a damn fine TV as well. Just get whichever looks better to you.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Don't let the clayface in vivid make your decision for you ont he Panny. I'm pretty sure most would agree that no one uses vivid mode and the other modes give far better results. I love my 60U.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k
But less inputs.

You'r correct. The 6U doesn't have the (single) front Composite, S-Video & Audio inputs. Also, the SD card slot is on the back & not functional for photo viewing like it is on the 60. On all the TV's I've had I've never used front video or audio inputs so this was a non-issue for me. I'd still take the Costco return policy over getting maybe just 30 days at CC or BB :).
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If your going to go for the 42PX60U, I'd get the 6U instead. Basically the same set & you get the Costco great return policy.
is it worth 300$?
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page