Need help with the difference between "commercial" and retail Plasma TV's - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Need help with the difference between "commercial" and retail Plasma TV's
Tour de Force's Avatar Tour de Force 02:46 PM 08-14-2006
I am in the market for a 50" Plasma TV. I have narrowed my choices down to a couple of TV's. However, in narrowing down my choices, I have come across "commercial" Plasma's, and normal retail Plasma's.

Here they are in no particular order:

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK

Pioneer PDP-505CMX

Panasonic TH-50PX60U


I have done about as much online research on these models as I can. They are all priced within about $200 of each other, and all have gotten pretty good reviews. From what I understand, the first two models I listed are industrial models, that is, they don't have any speakers or internal HD tuners. That's not a problem for me as I already have my tuner through my HD-Tivo, and currently get my sound through a home theater system. The last model listed has the built in tuner and has speakers.

What I am looking for is the best picture period. I know that is a subjective term, but I also trust the collective Plasma brainpower of this forum. Also, would I be making a mistake by purchasing one of the first two commercial models listed? I know that they can be expanded through "blades", similar to AGP slots on a computer. Do these commercial units at least come stock with a couple of HD inputs like HDMI and Component? If I have to purchase additional blades just to get inputs for my HD-Tivo and Xbox, then that changes the scenario completely.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

dlconner's Avatar dlconner 03:00 PM 08-14-2006
I am currently doing tons of research as well, and I would definitely say if you have to choose between those 3, throw the pioneer out of the mix. The Panasonic panels are the current, new generation, while the 505CMX is a fifth generation pio, which is not their latest and greatest. Have you tried looking up the Pioneer 5070HD? That is the new pioneer, and it is a very sweet set. If you hit up the online forum sponsors, you will probably find it within your budjet, maybe a little more than the Panny 50x60U. As far as the ones you listed, I would probably opt for the 50PH9UK, then the 50X60U, then the 505CMX. If you throw the pio-PDP5070HD in the mix, I would have to say that one would be my choice so far :)

Also, they should all have HDMI, the blades will only be needed if you want additional inputs to the Panel.

Dustin
Tour de Force's Avatar Tour de Force 03:12 PM 08-14-2006
Thanks a lot Dustin. Where exactly do I find out how many inputs they have in them? I don't have a need for a plethora of inputs, but I do know for a fact that I need an HDMI input, and at least 1 set of component inputs, preferably two.

Yeah, I am going to have to really bear down on those two Panasonic sets then. From what I hear though, Panasonic didn't change the "glass", or anything else major with this years models. I take that to mean that as far as the picture goes, the models should look the same this year as last years model, only with a few more options (PIP, etc) and a higher price.
slksc's Avatar slksc 03:15 PM 08-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner
Also, they should all have HDMI, the blades will only be needed if you want additional inputs to the Panel.
No. If you want HDMI on the Panny 9UK, you have to buy an extra HDMI card for $165. The one big disadvantage of the 9UK compared to the 60U, IMHO.
mconstant's Avatar mconstant 03:18 PM 08-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour de Force
I am in the market for a 50" Plasma TV. I have narrowed my choices down to a couple of TV's. However, in narrowing down my choices, I have come across "commercial" Plasma's, and normal retail Plasma's.

Here they are in no particular order:

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK

Pioneer PDP-505CMX

Panasonic TH-50PX60U


I have done about as much online research on these models as I can. They are all priced within about $200 of each other, and all have gotten pretty good reviews. From what I understand, the first two models I listed are industrial models, that is, they don't have any speakers or internal HD tuners. That's not a problem for me as I already have my tuner through my HD-Tivo, and currently get my sound through a home theater system. The last model listed has the built in tuner and has speakers.

What I am looking for is the best picture period. I know that is a subjective term, but I also trust the collective Plasma brainpower of this forum. Also, would I be making a mistake by purchasing one of the first two commercial models listed? I know that they can be expanded through "blades", similar to AGP slots on a computer. Do these commercial units at least come stock with a couple of HD inputs like HDMI and Component? If I have to purchase additional blades just to get inputs for my HD-Tivo and Xbox, then that changes the scenario completely.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
I believe with the Panasonic Commercial Model you have to buy the HDMI seperately from the unit. It doesn't come with any by default. It does come with a component input. Picture quality wise I would say go with the Commercial Model. They have more options for changing settings so you can fine tune the picture better.
dlconner's Avatar dlconner 03:20 PM 08-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc
No. If you want HDMI on the Panny 9UK, you have to buy an extra HDMI card for $165. The one big disadvantage of the 9UK compared to the 60U, IMHO.
Doh, thanks for catching me on that one...I had no idea the 9UK needed the blade for HDMI. As for this years panny's, you are correct. No changes in the glass, and they are pretty similar to last years models.
Tour de Force's Avatar Tour de Force 03:27 PM 08-14-2006
Still can't decide on which Panny I like better, the Commercial or Retail unit. I like the look of the commercial unit better, but, if it is pretty much the same exact picture and screen as the retail unit, it will be hard to justify the extra cost with the additional Blade needed for HDMI. Hmmmm....
dlconner's Avatar dlconner 04:10 PM 08-14-2006
You have more adjustability with the commercial unit, so you can tweak the picture more to get your desired look. The main question is are you willing to pump out the extra blade cost to get the commercial version :)
EJRothman's Avatar EJRothman 04:24 PM 08-14-2006
The 9UK has a nicer bezel than the 60U and has more picture adjustments as everyone has said. I have had a 42hd9uk for about a week now and couldn't be happier. Very glad I didn't go for the 60U even though it would have been a couple hundred cheaper.
slksc's Avatar slksc 05:04 PM 08-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner
You have more adjustability with the commercial unit, so you can tweak the picture more to get your desired look. The main question is are you willing to pump out the extra blade cost to get the commercial version :)
I'm struggling to decide between these two sets myself. It's just hard to justify spending a couple of hundred $$ for the commercial set, although I do like the bezel and improved picture control of the 9UK. I think I'm leaning towards the 60U because the tuner is not a bad thing to have: it makes the set more flexible.
Tour de Force's Avatar Tour de Force 06:37 PM 08-14-2006
slksc, I agree with you. Besides, the only fine tuning of the picture I will be doing is adjustment of Brightness, Contract, Color, and stuff like that through Digital Video Essentials. I am NOT the type to try and hack into the service menu to adjust everything to the nth degree.

So, I guess I'm going with the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. Man, this really would be a slam dunk had they not made the Bezel look like it does. On a positive note, the silver bezel should match my grey Harmon Kardon receiver and grey HD-Tivo.
slksc's Avatar slksc 09:20 PM 08-14-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour de Force
So, I guess I'm going with the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. Man, this really would be a slam dunk had they not made the Bezel look like it does.
Well, we can all agree on that. And I'd sure like detachable speakers too. But none of these issues are worth a couple of hundred $$$ to me.
Up
Mobile  Desktop