Should you purchase Plasma wall mounts separate from the TV's themselves? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at purchasing a Panasonic TH-50PX60U from TVAuthority soon, and my sales rep asked me if I wanted to purchase a wall mount along with the TV.

Well, thats a good question. I know nothing about wall mounts as far as what kind to get, or how to install them. I will most likely be hiring someone to install the Plasma TV on a wall mount for me once I have both in hand.

My question is, is it smart to go ahead and just purchase the wall mount from TV Authority while I am buying the TV, or should I purchase it separately from somewhere else? I don't know much about them, and really don't want to pay a penny more than I need to, because after all, it's just a wall mount.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on what type to get? I know I certainly don't need the swivel kind. I just want to hang it on the wall. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Any universal mount will work on that TV. Because you don't want a swivel or tilt mount, you are looking for a "fixed" mount. I personally purchased the Omnimount U3F ("F" for Fixed) for my old 50X50U. Most mounts need at least 16" on center studs, so check your wall first.
The real only difference between the fixed mounts are how far from the wall they stick out. Personally, I like an inch or two behind the TV to route cables so the U3F was perfect for me; BB & CC charge silly amounts for these mounts compared to what you can purchase them for online.
The mounts containt all the necessary hardware (basically just 4 lag bolts to screw in and you are done!).
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdeath
Any universal mount will work on that TV. Because you don't want a swivel or tilt mount, you are looking for a "fixed" mount. I personally purchased the Omnimount U3F ("F" for Fixed) for my old 50X50U. Most mounts need at least 16" on center studs, so check your wall first.
The real only difference between the fixed mounts are how far from the wall they stick out. Personally, I like an inch or two behind the TV to route cables so the U3F was perfect for me; BB & CC charge silly amounts for these mounts compared to what you can purchase them for online.
The mounts containt all the necessary hardware (basically just 4 lag bolts to screw in and you are done!).
Why would you not want a tilt mount?
post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPPa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour de Force
Also, anyone have any suggestions on what type to get? I know I certainly don't need the swivel kind. I just want to hang it on the wall. Thanks!
The OP stated he didn't want a tilt mount.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 AM

IMHO I think having a tilt mount is probably a good thing to get depending on where you hang your TV. You may have light sources that could reflect off your TV but could be eliminated by a simple tilt of the screen. Buying a mount online is the way to go. Purchasing it at a B&M store you could be paying double the price.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuji
Buying a mount online is the way to go. Purchasing it at a B&M store you could be paying double the price.
For example:

http://www.provantage.com/peerless-sf660~7PRLS036.htm
post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 09:50 AM

post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Great mounts. Look at the TM for tilt larger screens, and Neo Flex (tilt and pan). The Neo is listed at 50lbs or less, but has been tested up to 4X rating.
http://www.ergotron.com/ConsumerProd...9/Default.aspx
post #9 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPPa

All things being equal, I would want a tilt mount. That said, I was quoted about $300 for a tilt mount, and $150 for a normal fixed mount from TVAuthority. $150 extra is not all things being equal in my book. That is why I posted on here.

I had a thought back in the deep recesses of my mind that I might be getting ripped off if I bought the mount with the TV instead of over the internet separately which is why I posted here for advice.

If the cost between a normal mount and a tilt mount is negligible, than I would definitely go the tilt mount route. Any more links and examples would be greatly appreciated!
post #10 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriks
Great mounts. Look at the TM for tilt larger screens, and Neo Flex (tilt and pan). The Neo is listed at 50lbs or less, but has been tested up to 4X rating.
http://www.ergotron.com/ConsumerProd...9/Default.aspx
I liked that Neo tilt model for $99, but I'm sorry, when it says up to 50 pounds, I'm not going to test fate that it will support 3 times its weight no matter what anyone says, lol.

The first two links looked good, but here is my question. The first one was $49, and the second was $100. What is the difference between the two? They both looked to do the same thing. Why spend $50 more on the second one?

Also, the mount listed here, http://www.mountsdirect.com/product...products_id=222 , shows for $129. When I check all of the Plasma mounts on that website, I find three others all prices lower seen below. Why buy the $129 model versus the ones priced at $69 or $99?

http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_...roducts_id=358
http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_...roducts_id=334
http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_...roducts_id=128

I guess the real question I'm asking is, what makes one wall mount better than another, and hence worth the extra cost?
post #11 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #12 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

You are over analyzing things now!

As with any other products, you will pay more for one "name" than another (Sanus is a pretty well known name). A mount is a mount; when installed correctly it will not be seen. That said, any of the ones you linked will work.

If you are installing an outlet behind the mount, look for a mount that has large enough access holes for the wall plate, etc.

Decide whether you want tilt or not, and then how much depth from the TV to the wall you want at most and pick one. In general, the tilt models have larger depths than the fixed ones for obvious reasons.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page