Pioneer Plasma help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boy thank god I found a great forum like this one. I have a severe case of sensory overload from researching plasma's, rear projection, etc. and I need some advice from folks like you who seem to have a huge amount of knowledge on this subject.

After much debate, I am leaning towards the Pioneer 5070 (50") plasma. Now my questions:

1) Best Buy is showing a Pioneer 5071 model....what is the difference between the 5071 and the 5070?

2) Without going to the Elite level, is this Pioneer a good choice, or are there other brands, sizes in this price range that I should consider?

3) Sports and movies will be the primary viewing on my new purchase, once again good choice?

I am open to all the comments, suggestions that you folks can offer. Thank you in advance for all your help. :confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider
1) Best Buy is showing a Pioneer 5071 model....what is the difference between the 5071 and the 5070?
The 5071 comes with a little companion remote. BestBuy works with manufacturers to come up with a different model number so that they do not have to pricematch with other retailers (no one else can sell the 5071). So, by buying from BB you get a companion remote for about $1000 more than you can purchase a 5070 online from one of the forum members (TVA, etc).

Quote:
2) Without going to the Elite level, is this Pioneer a good choice, or are there other brands, sizes in this price range that I should consider?
The comparable Panasonic (feature wise) is the TH-50PX600U (TH-50PX60U has same glass, less features). You will have to decide for yourself which picture you like better; I like the 5070.

Quote:
3) Sports and movies will be the primary viewing on my new purchase, once again good choice?
The Pioneer and the Panny are excellent choices.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Boy thank god I found a great forum like this one. I have a severe case of sensory overload from researching plasma's, rear projection, etc. and I need some advice from folks like you who seem to have a huge amount of knowledge on this subject.

After much debate, I am leaning towards the Pioneer 5070 (50") plasma. Now my questions:

I am open to all the comments, suggestions that you folks can offer. Thank you in advance for all your help. :confused:
Answer to 1. The only difference between the Pioneer 5071 and Pioneer 5070 is a cheap small extra remote that is package with the Pioneer 5071 so Best Buy does not have to price match. Pioneer has a special contract with Best Buy and that was why Best Buy had the set’s for sale several weeks before anyone else. Pioneer 5071 are only sold by Best Buy. Looking at the front of my Operating Instructions the operating instructions has PDP-5070HD, PDP-5071HD, and PDP-5072HD.

I ordered my Pioneer PDP-5070HD from the AVSForum sponsor at the top of the page TVAuthority on July 27 and it was in my home on August 3. The Pioneer arrived in perfect condition and I save a bundle plus extra dollars by telling TVAuthority that I was an AVSForum member. Check my thread in this forum Experience in buying a Pioneer 5070 from an AVSForum sponsor. Check their prices and the other AVSForum sponsors at the top and bottom of the page before buying from any local brick and morter store. CAUTION!!! Check the Pioneer WEB site for authorized Internet Dealers. Pioneer will not warrant the set if you do not buy from an authorized Pioneer internet dealer or authorized brick and morter store. TVAuthority is an authorized internet dealer.

Answer to 2. I think the Pioneer PDP-5070HD is a wonderful set with an outstanding picture. I have been watching a Pioneer PDP-4330HD since July 2003 and until I got the new Pioneer I thought the picture on the 4330 was outstanding. That said you will find from many AVSForum members saying how great the Panasonic 60 and 600 series are and they also have an outstanding picture. The Panasonic 600 series has nearly identical features to the Pioneer. I would tell you to go to a local store that have both sets and after watching both sets and using the remotes you should decide which set is for you. You cannot make a wrong decision deciding between Pioneer and Panasonic. :)

Answer to 3. Pioneer or Panasonic would be an outstanding choice to watch sports or movies. In fact most plasma’s in this price range would be excellent.

Mike
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page