DVD Issue on Plasma Display Question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good Afternoon All...

I recently purchased a plasma and have been reading the boards that DVD's that are not recorded in 16X9 format (which I think the vast majority of DVD's are not) are forced to be watched with black bars on the top and bottom. Is this the case? I just purchased a Panny 60U set from Circuit City, and I am hoping that is not the case, because that would make me despise plasma if I'm forced to watch a movie in such an unnatural (for me) state! Do most plasmas not have a stretch mode of some sort to eliminate having to have black bars on your screen? Wouldn't these black bars cause burn in? I hope someone can alleviate my concerns and that the set I purchased has a stretch mode, so I'm able to watch a movie that covers my entire screen without distorting the picture. Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John from Boston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most films are not filmed in a 16:9 aspect ratio; they are really all different. Blame it on the studios.
You will have to put up with black bars regardless of what you buy (LCD, Plasma, CRT). There is a definate advantage to having a widescreen despite the black bars - you get the full picture width that would have been cut off had you been using a 4:3 set.
While you could use "zoom" mode to probably eliminate the black bars at top, you will also be expanding the picture horizontally and losing image.

It is NOT the black bars that cause image retention, rather the rest of the image that is ON. You could leave the display on for weeks on a black screen and be no worse for the wear. It's really no worse than using a CRT.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdeath
Most films are not filmed in a 16:9 aspect ratio; they are really all different. Blame it on the studios.
You will have to put up with black bars regardless of what you buy (LCD, Plasma, CRT).

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. For what it's worth, I have a 65" Mits Diamond Vision CRT set that is about 3 years old and the new Panny plasma replaced a Hitaci LCD RP set. On neither of these sets, am I dealing with black bars at the top or the bottom, when watching DVD's. I guess I must have the modes set to some sort of stretch mode? If that's the case, I'm okay using the stretch mode on the Panny, as the DVD picture quality is superb on my other sets, without being forced to look at ass-ugly black bars! I think the whole wife approval factor would be out the window instantly if she had to look at black bars shrinking the picture down!

John from Boston
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page