Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

By the way, just to update everyone, here is what I replaced it with. I think this should hold up.

Phil quick question for you. Your new stand I hope that its opens at the back as a plasma generates heat and you need a open back space to vent out.

A plasma cannot be installed in a closed in cabinet. I presume from your old photo the new cabinet just covers the front and open design at the back?

Glad you were able to get the replacement glass and nice new cabinet.

F room: Jvc70FH96/8300HDPvr & Dish 811, Bed.room Toshiba 50HM66, & Sa3250, Study LG42PX4D & XBox360: Kids tv: Toshiba 50H81, LG4200a, XBox 360, CM4228, 9521rotor, & 7775 preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 AM

Everyone should note that the design of this particular stand is the culprit. Never secure glass with anything other than the weight of the glass, and then only using enough supports to overcome large bending loads. Glass is wonderful for compressive loads, but lousy when under bending, especially when it is secured by fasteners that go through the glass, as the damaged glass photo seems to indicate. Glass does not expand under heat, to the same degree, as metal does. A good design allows for a way for the metal stand to move under the glass, without placing undue forces on the glass. All bolts that are used to assemble the unit should be left hand-tight prior to placing the structure in it's intended location. Then tighten the structure, so as to make sure it is flat on your floor. A slight load, from the glass, is preferred, as well as tightening from the inside to the outside of the support structure, in a "star pattern". Then, place your Plasma on the unit. Go back in a month, and check for loose fasteners.

I also have renters insurance, which offers me peace of mind. My two cents - Materials Engineer
post #153 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyes View Post

Everyone should note that the design of this particular stand is the culprit. Never secure glass with anything other than the weight of the glass, and then only using enough supports to overcome large bending loads. Glass is wonderful for compressive loads, but lousy when under bending, especially when it is secured by fasteners that go through the glass, as the damaged glass photo seems to indicate. Glass does not expand under heat, to the same degree, as metal does. A good design allows for a way for the metal stand to move under the glass, without placing undue forces on the glass. All bolts that are used to assemble the unit should be left hand-tight prior to placing the structure in it's intended location. Then tighten the structure, so as to make sure it is flat on your floor. A slight load, from the glass, is preferred, as well as tightening from the inside to the outside of the support structure, in a "star pattern". Then, place your Plasma on the unit. Go back in a month, and check for loose fasteners.
I also have renters insurance, which offers me peace of mind. My two cents - Materials Engineer

You totally lost this non-mechanically inclined idiot.

What should we be looking for in a glass stand to make sure it can take various flat-panel loads of from 80 - 200 pounds, which are what the 42"-63" models weigh?

Is tempered glass a panacea?

I have the Z-Line model from CC with a 95lb. 42" plasma on it -- should it be OK ?
post #154 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Freyes is absolutely right. That is a terrible design. Seems the designer was only interested in form and had no interest in a sound engineered design. The first thing I noticed when seeing the photo is that the glass had a free span all the way across w/ no intermediate supports, and appears to just be slid into the slots cut into the metal posts. Terrible on both counts. I just purchased a wood / steel / glass stand to go w/ my new Sammy plasma. The stand has a large plate of glass on top supporting the tv, but it has intermediate supports which cuts the span way down, and the glass simply rests on silicone pads. It isn't fixed or bolted down in any way, nor does it touch the steel frame. People shouldn't be afraid of glass tv stands, just choose a sound design.

-Gunner - Structural Engineer
post #155 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...I guess I should have consulted with a Structural Engineer before making the purchase.

Phil
post #156 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 01:12 PM

Lol. That might be overkill - but - AVdeco obviously needed an engineer to review their designs.
post #157 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Gunner, thoughts on the Z-Line? The manual said OK up to 340 pounds or so, I have my 42" weighing just under 100 pounds on the top shelf and VCR/DVD/STB on the middle ledge weighing maybe another 30 pounds, tops.
post #158 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Link ?

340 lb - wow. Who the hell has a tv that weighs that much? : D Or is that total weight for all shelves combined? Look to see if the documentation has a 'top shelf' load rating. 100 lb isn't too worrisome, assuming its a quality design.

I went with this stand for its 3-in-1 configurable design, and its aesthetics. Looks sharp in person : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179876185999
post #159 of 183 Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Gunner, this might not be the exact model (weigh max is lower) but it's close enough I guess:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-Lin...oductDetail.do
post #160 of 183 Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Yeah that looks too small for your 42" tv.

Sure its not this one ? This one says the TV shelf is rated at 300 lb. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-Lin...oductDetail.do

Regardless, it looks like the glass is just resting on the supports, not having fixed connections (which is a good thing). And there appears to be intermediate support for the glass, instead of a full span from one edge to the other. I wouldn't be worried about it.
post #161 of 183 Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, just to update everyone, here is what I replaced it with. I think this should hold up.

That picture link no longer works.
post #162 of 183 Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

*cringe*

I just brought home my Pio 6010 last night. I also already bought a Sanus VMPL3B. It will be a little while before I have everything ready to mount on a wall though.

I have this stand by Z-Line from when I had a Sammy DLP but am now seriously afraid to have the plasma on it. I planned on using this stand for about a month until I can wall mount the Pio. The Pio weighs ~140lbs with the stand (very wide stand) and the tv stand says it supports 240lbs.

I was thinking about cutting a sheet of OSB to fit the top of the glass perfectly, paint it black, and set the tv on top of the OSB on top of the glass to distribute the weight better (more to the supports). Does this sound fine or should I feel fine using the glass by itself?

-The Dave
----Check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #163 of 183 Old 01-12-2008, 04:57 PM

I don't know about you but I will never use glass again.
post #164 of 183 Old 03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

does anyone have a current Phone# or weblink re AVDECO.
I have a rack and need to ask a question.- the ones here on avs are dead.
db
post #165 of 183 Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to post an update to my situation, and let everyone know that Paul came through for me, and a replacement glass top was delivered yesterday. He went out of his way, to take care of me, and is a good guy.

Just curious,your home insurance would not cover that ?
post #166 of 183 Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My deductible is way to high to cover it.

Phil
post #167 of 183 Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:

My deductible is way to high to cover it.

But would they cover if the TV was FUBAR ?

Now I'm afraid I got this one ---> using on a Sammy 58A650 I hope it holds.
post #168 of 183 Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fortunately my TV was fine, so I didn't have to find out.

Phil
post #169 of 183 Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM

I was told to steer clear of glass (I asked because I have two boys under the age of three). It may be rated for load-bearing a specific weight, but the rep we talked to said hitting the edge with a sharp, hard object can cause them to literally explode. We bought a Techcraft BAY4632 just to be safe. That is one very shocking photo. I am glad no-one was injured firstly, and secondly that the plasma survived. Acrylic supposedly is much preferable to tempered glass, but is very expensive.
post #170 of 183 Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Pretty lousy after sales support, and they only replaced it because of these forums. I have been worried about glass shelves and heavy items, especially once you go over 20 or 30kg. I can't understand why all glass shelves don't have a metal frame either around the edge or a X like Apollo Aria range. Apollo have a range like the OP- Soprano, just held by 4 holes/struts in the glass, all that weight is the four corners.

Also reading about the small area on the plasma stands and how it may be only be in contact in a few small bits of rubber, good point and I didn't think of that. If you were to place another piece of glass exactly the same size, but heavier than the plasma it'll take more weight, until it finally smashes. So you need to spread the load on the item itself, and the mountings for the stand. So that X underframe is a best idea, the plasma stand will be directly above the X, so any downwards force is spread on the X, also overall the weight is spread on the X as well, the X metal frame is the bit taking the load.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #171 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM

ya mine just did the same, came on here, saw your post. i was in the other room when i heard it explode and crash. when i went in to investigate, all the glass was still popping and exploding like pop rocks but bad enough make the glass stick in your skin if it hits it. what the hell?!
post #172 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkt9 View Post

ya mine just did the same, came on here, saw your post. i was in the other room when i heard it explode and crash. when i went in to investigate, all the glass was still popping and exploding like pop rocks but bad enough make the glass stick in your skin if it hits it. what the hell?!

is the TV ok?

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #173 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I had forgot about this thread but it only reinforced why I will not buy glass stands. I cannot imagine the horror if my Kuro went crashing down onto my other expensive components.
post #174 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I had forgot about this thread but it only reinforced why I will not buy glass stands. I cannot imagine the horror if my Kuro went crashing down onto my other expensive components.

like has been stated in this thread dozens of times, not all glass and metal stands are created equal. i have been using the same glass and metal stand for the last 6-7 years without any issues. it is built a lot better and has more even support than that stand. i fully trust it with my 58" plasma.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
post #175 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Glass has 0 degrees of give to it and has various places which are weaker than others. The thicker the glass usually the stronger. However, thickness does not eliminate breakability.

Also keep in mind that items placed on a glass stand are not equal in weight in all places. so there might be more pressure or weight on certain places of the glass.
post #176 of 183 Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Holy old thread!!!

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #177 of 183 Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

I just had a similar experience myself. I've got a 50" Philips plasma TV on a glass and metal stand. Not sure what brand of stand mine is, actually - but I believe I purchased it at Ultimate Electronics a couple years ago, when it was on sale. (There weren't a whole lot of options available locally for 50" TV stands at that time.) This one looks similar to the Z-Line 3 shelf stands other people are linking to photos of, but the metal frame is a little bit different.

Anyway, my stand has been fine, until my g/f's 3-year old daughter got mad about something the other night, and threw a ceramic coffee mug across the living room. It hit the edge of the middle glass shelf, causing it to explode instantly. (The mug, however, is fine... go figure.)

I was *really* glad it didn't hit the top shelf that the TV was on! My Playstation 3, VCR/DVD combo unit, and some DVDs were all that fell to the bottom shelf, and they all survived. Lots of little glass "pebbles" and fragments to vacuum up though!

But whoever said their salesperson steered them away from glass shelves if they had kids in the house? Great advice! It's true that these shelves shatter EASILY when stuck at just the right angle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkt9 View Post

post #178 of 183 Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody got any thoughts on wood ?

I have an Avondale corner stand from Bob's Discount with 3 drawers.....it has the gap between the top shelf where my 42" sits and the drawers, which is empty space (good for my DVD or STB; bad for support).

http://www.mybobs.com/Avondale.aspx

My plasma weights 100 pounds and it can NOT reach across to the reinforced ends of the furniture (just short -- the stand is 32 1/4" and the furniture is 35")

BTW, the thickness of the wood is 3/4" thick. Not sure what kind of wood it is -- it doesn't appear to be redwood or oak but it 'aint balsa, either.
post #179 of 183 Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody think 100 pounds is OK for that stand above ?
post #180 of 183 Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Anybody think 100 pounds is OK for that stand above ?

I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I'd be more worried about the stability (tipping) than crushing the stand.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page