Hitachi FLICKER Issue...Good/Bad News - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the changes did "take" what should you see if you go back into the service menu? After a successful update, if you go into device, press 1-2, right arrow, 3-3, right arrow - then what should show up? If it's set to 1, should 1 appear? Or does it always start with 0 and then let you toggle between 1 and 0?

While still in the menu, right after making the first change, then I hit right arrow again and the 1 appeared. So it seemed to take. But then once I completely exit the service menu and go back in, the 0 appears again when I go through the process. Does this mean that the changes didn't take?

I'm using Ch 6 of The Incredibles and I'm still getting flicker. I hope this means that the changes aren't sticking - not that it it's failing to fix my problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Glad that some of you are getting good results!

Well, tried to make the changes this morning, but can't seem to find the "DEVICE" option in the top level of the SM. Below is what I see when it pulls up:

1st screen:

PDP Adjust mode

white bal init
white bal high
white bal med
white bal std
white bal b/w
v position......03f
pdp (selecting this eventually gets me to the hours counter)
fact reset

2nd screen:
PDP Adjust mode

tv guide
ir blast
vbi slicer m
vbi slicer s
v chip
clock test (currently shows 10:02:50)
maintenance
memory init
osd select......A

3rd screen:
PDP Adjust mode

seine
fc6
fc4
tc90103
ad9880cxa2211
sil9021(hdmi)
ta1366

I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing...

Jason, any ideas regarding my 42HDT52A?? I'm really, REALLY encouraged by the others that have seen positive results. I'm this close to having the ultimate picture!!!!
LL
LL
LL

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #543 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

so this is not for the 42HDS69?
post #544 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

so this is not for the 42HDS69?

Not according to Jason's engineer but it worked for someone so it might work for you too.

I'm glad this is fixing the flicker for some.
post #545 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post

If the changes did "take" what should you see if you go back into the service menu? After a successful update, if you go into device, press 1-2, right arrow, 3-3, right arrow - then what should show up? If it's set to 1, should 1 appear? Or does it always start with 0 and then let you toggle between 1 and 0?

While still in the menu, right after making the first change, then I hit right arrow again and the 1 appeared. So it seemed to take. But then once I completely exit the service menu and go back in, the 0 appears again when I go through the process. Does this mean that the changes didn't take?

I'm using Ch 5 of The Incredibles and I'm still getting flicker. I hope this means that the changes aren't sticking - not that it it's failing to fix my problems.

Should read a 1

Try hitting the select key after you change it to a 1, then hit the exit key.
post #546 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:57 AM

This manual correction is ONLY for models 55HDS69, HDT79 and HDX99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Glad that some of you are getting good results!

Well, tried to make the changes this morning, but can't seem to find the "DEVICE" option in the top level of the SM. Below is what I see when it pulls up:

1st screen:

PDP Adjust mode

white bal init
white bal high
white bal med
white bal std
white bal b/w
v position......03f
pdp (selecting this eventually gets me to the hours counter)
fact reset

2nd screen:
PDP Adjust mode

tv guide
ir blast
vbi slicer m
vbi slicer s
v chip
clock test (currently shows 10:02:50)
maintenance
memory init
osd select......A

3rd screen:
PDP Adjust mode

seine
fc6
fc4
tc90103
ad9880cxa2211
sil9021(hdmi)
ta1366

I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing...

Jason, any ideas regarding my 42HDT52A?? I'm really, REALLY encouraged by the others that have seen positive results. I'm this close to having the ultimate picture!!!!

post #547 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 AM

If this change has fixed your flicker problem, please email me the following info.

Model
Serial

Thanks

Jason
post #548 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

Not according to Jason's engineer but it worked for someone so it might work for you too.

I'm glad this is fixing the flicker for some.

How many times do I have to post this? I have the 42HDS69. Despite Jason saying the fix isn't for this model, it completley rid my set of the flicker.

LN52A650
42HDS69
post #549 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaz527 View Post

How many times do I have to post this? I have the 42HDS69. Despite Jason saying the fix isn't for this model, it completley rid my set of the flicker.

Calm down big guy, I think what he was saying is this. While this fix isn't suppose to fix it on the 42hds69, it has on at least one set, so give a try and see if it works for your set.
post #550 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:11 AM

Ok the engineer wants this info on the set that this didn't work on. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE CHANGE TOOK IN THE SERVICE MANUAL before you send me your info:

Quote:

On the one 55HDS69 that still has the flicker...please get me the details, source(s) and specifics so that we can duplicate here, please.

Serial
Software Version
DVD Player? How is connected? Settings from DVD player?
Section of the movie?
TV HD Material? What and where?

post #551 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Monette View Post

This manual correction is ONLY for models 55HDS69, HDT79 and HDX99.

$ucks to be me...

I was hoping that my SM would act similar to what you've posted. Oh well, I might look further into my SM if I get adventurous; otherwise will just have to be patient.

So exactly what three parameters are being changed fro 0 to 1? Maybe I can still find these items, just under a SM heading that's labeled differently than "DEVICE" but still gets me to the same three parameters.

But I'm still encouraged by the results posted by others. Hopefully a fix for my 42HDT52A is around the corner.

Jason, if the Hitachi engineer comes up w/ a potential fix for my model #, I'd be glad to be a beta tester...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #552 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

you should be hitting

right arrow
right arrow

make you sure you following the direction so you don't change another setting.

after you make the change from 0 to 1.

Hit exit
then hit the right arrow again to see if it took.

Jason, Does the entire thing have to be done on one line or after you do 12 33 1 you hit down, then do 12 34 1, etc? I gave this a wack and it works this way...you go to device and enter 12 right 33 right right (and it changes the value of zero to 1), then you hit exit and that goes back to the 33 previously entered. So you change that value to 34 right right (to change 0 to 1) then exit, then it takes you back to the 34, change it to 35 right right (changes 0 to 1). I hit exit after the 3rd change and cursor goes back to 35, hit it again and it goes to 12, again, again and it exits you out of device.

For the guys who have done this can you confirm that it works? Secondly, for the guys who have it working, when you go back to device do you see 12 33 1 right away or do you have to enter 12 33 right to see that's 0 is set at 1?
post #553 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Should read a 1

Try hitting the select key after you change it to a 1, then hit the exit key.

This seems to have worked. I was able to completely exit the service menu and when I re-entered it the settings showed as 1, not 0!!!

However, my kids are watching a movie right now so I can't check Incredibles, Ch 5 (my flicker reference.)

But I'll report back later today if the change has fixed my problems.

Thank you very much for your patience and additional explanation on this "fix."
post #554 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If you make the changes and you exit the "Device" menu and come back in again. If you enter 12 33 you SHOULD SEE A 1. IF YOU DON'T THE CHANGE DID NOT TAKE EFFECT.

Jason, I stated in my preliminary evaluation that it appears to be gone on my screen. I got my room as dark as possible and it was not noticeable. I'll give you another observation tonight when it gets dark out.
post #555 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Ok the engineer wants this info on the set that this didn't work on. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE CHANGE TOOK IN THE SERVICE MANUAL before you send me your info:

Serial
V6E003716

Software Version
V0110.0001

DVD Player?
Sony DVPNS75H

How is connected?
Both component and HDMI. Flicker happens with both.

Settings from DVD player?
I don't know what this means.

Section of the movie?
Intro to X-Men 3 during 20th Century Fox searchlight scene.

TV HD Material?
Not sure.

What and where?

By the way, here is more potentially interesting information. When I go back into the service menu and the device submenu, I notice that none of the data I entered is there. That is, there appears to be no data entered in that screen. So, I re-entered the data again, scrolled down to the very bottom and pressed exit. I then went back into the menu, and once again, the data are gone. Does this mean that the data are not really being accepted?

OK, after reading a few recent posts that were in transit when I first entered the above, I find the following. It appears to be crucially important to click on "select" after entering the "1." In addition, it is now clear that the entered data are not supposed to "show up" when exiting and then re-entering the service menu. That DOESN"T mean that the data are not in effect. One way to prove this (as stated in earlier posts) is to re-enter "12 3X" and then the data will already be set to "1." If so, you know that your new data are in effect. I verified this, even after cycling TV power. My data are in effect.

Unfortunately, the upper and lower bars during the 20th Century Fox intro on X-Men3 are still flickering like a freakin Christmas tree.
post #556 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

$ucks to be me...

I was hoping that my SM would act similar to what you've posted. Oh well, I might look further into my SM if I get adventurous; otherwise will just have to be patient.

So exactly what three parameters are being changed fro 0 to 1? Maybe I can still find these items, just under a SM heading that's labeled differently than "DEVICE" but still gets me to the same three parameters.

But I'm still encouraged by the results posted by others. Hopefully a fix for my 42HDT52A is around the corner.

Jason, if the Hitachi engineer comes up w/ a potential fix for my model #, I'd be glad to be a beta tester...

Once this problem is taken care of on the sets listed, I will continue to work with Hitachi to get your set taken care of also.
post #557 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

Jason, Does the entire thing have to be done on one line or after you do 12 33 1 you hit down, then do 12 34 1, etc? I gave this a wack and it works this way...you go to device and enter 12 right 33 right right (and it changes the value of zero to 1), then you hit exit and that goes back to the 33 previously entered. So you change that value to 34 right right (to change 0 to 1) then exit, then it takes you back to the 34, change it to 35 right right (changes 0 to 1). I hit exit after the 3rd change and cursor goes back to 35, hit it again and it goes to 12, again, again and it exits you out of device.

For the guys who have done this can you confirm that it works? Secondly, for the guys who have it working, when you go back to device do you see 12 33 1 right away or do you have to enter 12 33 right to see that's 0 is set at 1?

Yes this is how I did it also. Just change the 33 to 34 to 35. no need to completely exit the line
post #558 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:

This seems to have worked. I was able to completely exit the service menu and when I re-entered it the settings showed as 1, not 0!!!

However, my kids are watching a movie right now so I can't check Incredibles, Ch 5 (my flicker reference.)

But I'll report back later today if the change has fixed my problems.

Thank you very much for your patience and additional explanation on this "fix."

Please do.

And fellas, when you report back, do me a favor and list your model and serial, so I can keep track of which sets worked and which ones didn't. Thanks
post #559 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Ok seriously fellas, it ain't gonna work unless you have the latests firmware installed. Install the latestes firmware and then see what happens. You have to work with me here guys, we don't want the Engineers spinning there wheels because we aren't following directions.

Make sure you set has the latest firmware BEFORE you tell me that it isn't working on your set.

The latest firmware for the 42HDS69 and 55HDS69 is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooter View Post

Serial
V6E003716

Software Version
V0110.0001

DVD Player?
Sony DVPNS75H

How is connected?
Both component and HDMI. Flicker happens with both.

Settings from DVD player?

Section of the movie?
Intro to X-Men 3 during 20th Century Fox searchlight scene.

TV HD Material?
Not sure.

What and where?

By the way, here is more potentially interesting information. When I go back into the service menu and the device submenu, I notice that none of the data I entered is there. That is, there appears to be no data entered in that screen. So, I re-entered the data again, scrolled down to the very bottom and pressed exit. I then went back into the menu, and once again, the data are gone. Does this mean that the data are not really being accepted?

OK, after reading a few recent posts that were in transit when I first entered the above, I find the following. It appears to be crucially important to click on "select" after entering the "1." In addition, it is now clear that the entered data are not supposed to "show up" when exiting and then re-entering the service menu. That DOESN"T mean that the data are not in effect. One way to prove this (as stated in earlier posts) is to re-enter "12 3X" and then the data will already be set to "1." If so, you know that your new data are in effect. I verified this, even after cycling TV power. My data are in effect.

Unfortunately, the upper and lower bars during the 20th Century Fox intro on X-Men3 are still flickering like a freakin Christmas tree.

post #560 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Ok seriously fellas, it ain't gonna work unless you have the latests firmware installed. Install the latestes firmware and then see what happens. You have to work with me here guys, we don't want the Engineers spinning there wheels because we aren't following directions.

Make sure you set has the latest firmware BEFORE you tell me that it isn't working on your set.

Bummer, I have an older version. I guess I'll call Hitachi on Monday to get them to send me an update.
post #561 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Bummer, I have an older version. I guess I'll call Hitachi on Monday to get them to send me an update.
post #562 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooter View Post

Just look through the thread, he listed somewhere to download the latest firmware and do it yourself. Don't wait for Hitachi.
post #563 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Please do not mention this to Hitachi until I say it is ok. You guys are not suppose to have this info yet. A "Hitachi Tech" is suppose to do this change for you. I.E. me, or some other tech. I put the info out there because you guys are not normal consumers, most of you know your stuff. So please hold off.

I am glad your flicker is gone!

Jason is right; he was only able to get this stuff because we are supposed to be "customers" of his. He's done a great service, so let's not get him busted for it.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #564 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:34 PM

Holy cow it works! It works, it works, it works!! I just shut all the curtains and tested the fix with my flicker "reference" Ch 6 of The Indredibles.

Jason, I will email you my serial # shortly. Thank you so, so, so, so, so, so much!!!!!!
post #565 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Holy cow it works! It works, it works, it works!! I just shut all the curtains and tested the fix with my flicker "reference" Ch 6 of The Indredibles.

Jason, I will email you my serial # shortly. Thank you so, so, so, so, so, so much!!!!!!

Freaking awesome!!!! I am glad we are moving in the right direction.
post #566 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
OK, I'm trying this on my 42HDS69, and I think I've done it right and it has probably been explained whether this "took" or didn't, but there has been so much back and forth it is confusing, so someone please just confirm for me.

After I made the change, which seemed very straight-forward, I exited and then went back into the Service Menu to check if it took. I was disappointed when the Device table was blank again, but when I went to re-enter my settings, my settings were all 1 by default, rather than 0 again. Does that mean it took?

Can't really test until tonight anyway, so someone please let me know before then and I'll chime in as well.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #567 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

OK, I'm trying this on my 42HDS69, and I think I've done it right and it has probably been explained whether this "took" or didn't, but there has been so much back and forth it is confusing, so someone please just confirm for me.

After I made the change, which seemed very straight-forward, I exited and then went back into the Service Menu to check if it took. I was disappointed when the Device table was blank again, but when I went to re-enter my settings, my settings were all 1 by default, rather than 0 again. Does that mean it took?

Can't really test until tonight anyway, so someone please let me know before then and I'll chime in as well.

CD

Yes CD, that is correct, as long as there is 1 and not a 0 there, you are good to go! And please report back. I know you have a ton reference materail that you found.
post #568 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 03:38 PM

Ok, this looks postive. Is this fix for the 55HDT79?

Is the right thing to do, is having a tech coming in to do this?

Am just wondering if Hitachi is going to release a firmware update that is different than ithis....or....

Should I just do it. I am afraid of screwinng something up.....

HITACHI 55HDT79 PLASMA
post #569 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Here the step by step way to do this.

Power
Menu (wait until the menu comes up)
Menu
Select
Down arrow unti you hightlight device
Select
right arrow
right arrow
right arrow (should be a 1) now
exit
right arrow
exit
right arrow
exit
exit
Exit
exit
exit

So does this recipe work?

HITACHI 55HDT79 PLASMA
post #570 of 2570 Old 10-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchall1 View Post

Ok, this looks postive. Is this fix for the 55HDT79?

Is the right thing to do, is having a tech coming in to do this?

Am just wondering if Hitachi is going to release a firmware update that is different than ithis....or....

Should I just do it. I am afraid of screwinng something up.....

Yes this fix is for the 55HDT79 also. Do the fix and let us know if it works.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page