post #271 of 1654 Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by overfiend View Post

thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that w/ the upconverting, when the A/R apparently incorrect, I choose AUTO to fill a 16/9 movie to fill the screen, the picture is panoramic and 3D look. sides are thin and center is fat. i get a headache watching it. I truly hope this is a fault w/ the dvdplayer and not the TV. as it is cheaper to replace a player. I thought I could weed out incompatibility issues like these by going same brand for the setup. guess i was wrong.

Might pay to goto the DVD section and start a thread on your situation.

It's DEFINITELY not something 'wrong' with the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1654 Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandez88 View Post

Hey guys I have a question. I just bought this model today and was wondering how to hook up my computer to the tv, because my computer only has a VGA out. I think I need to buy a VGA to RGBHV (RCA plugs) cable, is this correct?And do you know where I could find one for cheap? Thanks

yeah i ended up taking this same route, (RGBHV cable) i picked one up at monoprice, unfortunately it had BNC connectors on it (the ones i found with RCA style connections were much more expensive) so i ended up just getting 5 BNC to RCA adapters (you can find these for around $1-2 online)

which leads to my question and comment

is anyone using the 360 vga cable with this television? i just recently switched over to it (i had it laying around from when i was using the 360 on my computer's lcd) and i've had some strange issues. if i use 1024x768 as the dashboard settings (native res) the screen is squished vertically like 16:9 content on a 4:3 display, i then noticed i could switch to "widescreen" and this seemed to make everything look right in the dashboard and games. i launched the 360 media center, and noticed that everything is now squished horizontally, if i watch a 16:9 movie that should fill the screen, it has black bars on the top and bottom.

i also tried 1280x720, and again dashboard and games were fine, but the media center display is messed up. in this case its like the video is partially off the screen on the top and bottom (like 10-15% overscan)

i've double checked and i have all tv stretching features turned off. (i hate that crap anyway)

comment: i've also had the power clicking. the other day i was sitting on my computer and i heard a click like the tv was turning on, and a minute or so later another click like it was turning off. i'm running the latest firmware off the phillips site.
post #273 of 1654 Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump1039 View Post

comment: i've also had the power clicking. the other day i was sitting on my computer and i heard a click like the tv was turning on, and a minute or so later another click like it was turning off. i'm running the latest firmware off the phillips site.

Normal...have had it also.
post #274 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Some 9630 users reported problems either getting the upgrade to load or in 1 case it 'froze' the TV (Philips support seemed aware of this problem from others). BEWARE ! Using 128 clean, Philips-stuff only USB drive best to getting it uploaded rather than massive gigabytes or USB with other junk on it.

Anyone having any problem upgrading or getting a new problem, report it here.

I've got a new 9631 which came with version BJ24U-1.8.0.0_03141. I wanted to update to BJ24U-1.9.0.0_03161, but I'm having problems.

I reformatted my 256MB USB drive as FAT and tried both the automatic update and the manual update. Each time, the screen would go black and the set would click periodically. So far, no luck. I'm going to try a 128MB drive next.
post #275 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys, I just got the 50PF9731D/37. How can I find which firmware I have on it? They should be very similar. It has 2 sides and top ambilight and this is nice. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784621
post #276 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

Hi guys, I just got the 50PF9731D/37. How can I find which firmware I have on it? They should be very similar. It has 2 sides and top ambilight and this is nice. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784621

That's an LCD model, right?

Go into the OSM and look for SOFTWARE and it should lead you to the current version.
post #277 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhnto View Post

I've got a new 9631 which came with version BJ24U-1.8.0.0_03141. I wanted to update to BJ24U-1.9.0.0_03161, but I'm having problems. I reformatted my 256MB USB drive as FAT and tried both the automatic update and the manual update. Each time, the screen would go black and the set would click periodically. So far, no luck. I'm going to try a 128MB drive next.

I am an idiot on these USB and FAT formats and stuff....I even needed help unzipping the thing when I did the August update in November. That said, for anybody doing any Philips firmware upgrades:

(1) Get a USB 128 simple stick. I got the generic CompUSA one and it worked fine the first time I used it. Not saying any current problems aren't Philips TV or software's fault, but the best thing is to Keep It Simple, Stupid on the drive.

(2) Don't download other junk onto the USB stick.

(3) If your TV is working fine, don't worry too much if you're having a problem downloading the latest firmware. The only major problem is the BSOD problem which the August upgrade fixed. I know the November (current) upgrade supposedly improves HDMI picture but it's not a major issue. I'm not saying don't try and get the upgrade loaded, just don't freak out.

(4) Post any problems on the Philips Troubleshooting or 7320/9630/9631 Threads.
post #278 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

PhilipsPhanatic, It's plasma. I will go home and check it.
post #279 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM

42PF9631D

Hey guys, this is $1299 at my local Best Buy...and it seems to be as good as the 42" Samsung model that is $1499. Anything major that I should know about? I read the thread and everyting seems ok...but I wanted to check before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!
post #280 of 1654 Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post

42PF9631D Hey guys, this is $1299 at my local Best Buy...and it seems to be as good as the 42" Samsung model that is $1499. Anything major that I should know about? I read the thread and everyting seems ok...but I wanted to check before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

I love the TV, just am not a huge fan of BB. If you buy it there, make sure it's NEVER USED (no refurb, no repair job) and get a warranty to protect yourself. Make sure everything is covered, don't take the salesman's word for it. READ IT !! How long will a repair take before they give you a new one? How many repairs before they give you a new one? Pixel coverage ??

Don't get me wrong, the 9631's have been great so far - nobody has had a problem, at least on AVS - but as the Boy Scouts say, BE PREPARED.

Warranty should be $300-$400, tops, for 3-years. Don't need 5-years.

Go For It !!
post #281 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I post the issue here. These models should behave very similar. Please comment on thiese.

1. It seems adjacent pixels are interfering each other or something else exists between pixels. If I look at the screen at close distance I can see this. It's not straight neat vertical and horizontal lines on which the pixels are located. Instead it's blurred rough lines and the overall picture is not crispy but blurred. On my old unit each individual pixel is neatly displayed as tiny dot and all pixels on display formed neat thin vertical and horizontal lines and no interference exists at all. That makes big difference on the picture quality. I think the DCdi technology by Faroudja on the Vizio made the difference.

2. I don't know how to call it correctly so just call it ghost curtain on the screen. Ideally you see the picture but nothing else no matter it's a still picture of moving one. On my screen it's like there is a very thin see-through plastic or glass type curtain with visible painting on it. When the real picture moves the curtain does not so I can see something there. It's like the legit picture layer is moving but the ghost curtain stay. It's definitely not the glass or dust on it. It's some kind of picture display. This type of issue should not happen no matter what setting is on. I had tried almost all kinds of setting and this issue is always there.

3. Occasionally I could see mosaic blocks or strips. This type of issue happened to all display one time or the other. But on the 9731D it seemed to happen more often. I watched same program or even the exact same thing saved on DVR. I believe it's the picture processing on the unit is not with very high quality.

4. The contrast and brightness have to be set nearly 60 to get acceptable picture. Below 50 it's too dark. Given its 10000:1 and 1500 rating this definitely should not be the case. My old units have 10000:1 and 1000 rating and I only need to set them at around 40 to get acceptable picture. The good about the 9731D is its color. It looks richer than my old unit but sometimes it's a little unnatural.

Some of the issues may have to with my eyes. My eyes are more sensitive than most people. E.g. most people's CRT monitor flicker severely to me and they even don't notice the flicker. After they set the refresh rate higher they don't see difference but I do. All display flicker and people won't see it. If you use a camcorder videotape the monitor then and playback you will see it.
post #282 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

1st HD, since you have such sensitive eyes it seems to me that the best thing might be to get another 9731 AND another TV you like (the Vizio) and then have an ISF technician come in and calibrate one of the 3 sets for you personally.

The technician will realize right away if something is wrong with the set(s) or if your eyes are just too sensitive for certain manufacturers/models/types. Otherwise, I can't tell if these things are major for you or minor inconveniences -- and frankly, I haven't ever heard of most of them.

If you can see CRT flicker, I don't know what to say -- only time I see that is watching film of Apollo moon documentaries !
post #283 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll give your problems a stab, but you're the only person so far on AVS with the 9731 model, which really hurts in trying to figure out what is normal and what is peculiar to your eyes only:

Quote:

I post the issue here. These models should behave very similar. Please comment on thiese.

Any other 9731 owners out here in AVS Land ???

Quote:

It seems adjacent pixels are interfering each other or something else exists between pixels. If I look at the screen at close distance I can see this. It's not straight neat vertical and horizontal lines on which the pixels are located. Instead it's blurred rough lines and the overall picture is not crispy but blurred. On my old unit each individual pixel is neatly displayed as tiny dot and all pixels on display formed neat thin vertical and horizontal lines and no interference exists at all. That makes big difference on the picture quality. I think the DCdi technology by Faroudja on the Vizio made the difference.

Has nothing to do with Faroudja, other Philips models work fine. How 'close' are you getting before you see the pixel spaces ? Is PixelPlus turned ON ? Try adjusting the other settings, including OFF.

Quote:

2. I don't know how to call it correctly so just call it ghost curtain on the screen. Ideally you see the picture but nothing else no matter it's a still picture of moving one. On my screen it's like there is a very thin see-through plastic or glass type curtain with visible painting on it. When the real picture moves the curtain does not so I can see something there. It's like the legit picture layer is moving but the ghost curtain stay. It's definitely not the glass or dust on it. It's some kind of picture display. This type of issue should not happen no matter what setting is on. I had tried almost all kinds of setting and this issue is always there.

Never heard of this before and don't know if it's the TV or your eyes. Get another 9731 or the 9631 and compare. You are one of these people who need to have a few sets in your house, set them all up, and just keep one. Otherwise, you'll never be able to determine if it's you or the TV's.

[quote]
Quote:

3. Occasionally I could see mosaic blocks or strips. This type of issue happened to all display one time or the other. But on the 9731D it seemed to happen more often. I watched same program or even the exact same thing saved on DVR. I believe it's the picture processing on the unit is not with very high quality.

You mean flashing pixel squares? Could be the signal you're receiving. But who knows, with all the other glitches, maybe it's a 9731 thing. The 9731 seems to be a 9631 with 3-sided Ambilight so I'm not sure why there should be all these problems. It's not like it's a revolutionary new model.

Quote:

4. The contrast and brightness have to be set nearly 60 to get acceptable picture. Below 50 it's too dark. Given its 10000:1 and 1500 rating this definitely should not be the case. My old units have 10000:1 and 1000 rating and I only need to set them at around 40 to get acceptable picture. The good about the 9731D is its color. It looks richer than my old unit but sometimes it's a little unnatural.

All sets are different. Forget about this and worry about the other items.

Quote:

Some of the issues may have to with my eyes. My eyes are more sensitive than most people. E.g. most people's CRT monitor flicker severely to me and they even don't notice the flicker. After they set the refresh rate higher they don't see difference but I do. All display flicker and people won't see it. If you use a camcorder videotape the monitor then and playback you will see it.

Who are you, Steve Austin, The Six Million Dollar Man with the bionic eye ??

Do yourself a favor: get another 9731, a 9631, and another set that you swear by (Vizio?). Then call an ISF technician in and spend a few hours with him. Otherwise, I think you'll never be happy.
post #284 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

1st HD, since you have such sensitive eyes it seems to me that the best thing might be to get another 9731 AND another TV you like (the Vizio) and then have an ISF technician come in and calibrate one of the 3 sets for you personally.

The technician will realize right away if something is wrong with the set(s) or if your eyes are just too sensitive for certain manufacturers/models/types. Otherwise, I can't tell if these things are major for you or minor inconveniences -- and frankly, I haven't ever heard of most of them.

If you can see CRT flicker, I don't know what to say -- only time I see that is watching film of Apollo moon documentaries !

Not exactly. I don't see the same issue on my old Vizios. And my wife has normal eyes and even she nitoced the issues I reported.
post #285 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

PhilipsPhanatic,

Yes, we need more 9731 owners to post.

I was about 2-4 feet away from the screen. It does not matter if PixelPlus is on.

Costco no longer carries 9631 which I inteneded to buy first. I would not go for it now.

Practically I can't put two sets in home due to the hassle of return and the hauling of the heavy beasts.

It's all because I had a better screen before and I had the detailed comparrison. If this my very first HD I would be pretty happy with it.
post #286 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PhilipsPhanatic, Yes, we need more 9731 owners to post.

New set, haven't even seen it at CC or BB, maybe Costco is stocking them.

Quote:

I was about 2-4 feet away from the screen. It does not matter if PixelPlus is on.

Why are you that close ?? Put your face 4" from the TV, and you'll see even more artifacts and problems.

You have to see how the TV is at NORMAL VIEWING DISTANCE. For a 50" TV, that's 8'-12'.

Quote:

Costco no longer carries 9631 which I inteneded to buy first. I would not go for it now.

I love mine. 3-sided Ambilgith would be nice, but I am happy with 2-sided. Next TV, perhaps.

Quote:

Practically I can't put two sets in home due to the hassle of return and the hauling of the heavy beasts. It's all because I had a better screen before and I had the detailed comparrison. If this my very first HD I would be pretty happy with it.

I can't tell if you're 95% happy with the set or 95% unhappy. The only thing I might do is exchange it for another 9731 if you're convinced that something is set-specific.

Best thing to do is to have an ISF technician come in and adjust everything for you. He can say if it's the TV, you, settings, or a combination whereby maybe a certain technology or manufacturer just isn't right for you.
post #287 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Costco.com has the 9631 and BB has it.. You can do what I did, and get Best Buy to price match Costco for the online price of a dollar less than 2k...

XBL: Axis Radius ::::::::::: PSN: GMoore34
:::::Proud Sammy A850 Owner:::::
post #288 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

I never saw 9631 at store and it disappeared from online too. The manager checked in computer and told me he has no idea if costco will carry it.

My normal sitting is about 12 feet away. because I saw the picture quality difference I walked close to check why. I almost walk to that close every time I watch some DVD disks so I know how it looks very well. Even with old TV I had done similar checking. I would say most people will be happy with the pics when sitting at 12 feet. If I stay at 20 feet away I won't see any problem.
post #289 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 PM

I sit 6 feet from mine, and the picture is outstanding..I think you should exchange it.

XBL: Axis Radius ::::::::::: PSN: GMoore34
:::::Proud Sammy A850 Owner:::::
post #290 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I stay at 20 feet away I won't see any problem.

If you stay at 100 feet, you won't see anything !!

Get another 9731, get a 9631, or call an ISF technician to calibrate the set for you. The set may be 100% perfect, but for your eyes, you need the professional calibration.

If something is wrong with the set, he'll know.

You win either way, IMO.
post #291 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I want to get an exchange in hope to get rid of the electronic buzzing noise and maybe other issues.
post #292 of 1654 Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to get an exchange in hope to get rid of the electronic buzzing noise and maybe other issues.

Get another 9731 if they have it, but if they don't have it the 9631 is fine.
post #293 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 07:27 AM

So I was thinking about getting the 50" (50PF9731D) and I went to look at it at BB last night but they only had the 42" (42PF9631D). The TV looked really nice, but I can't seem to figure out the bezel colors.

On the Philips website, they all look to be Glossy, but in the store, the 42" had a matte black bezel that frankly didn't look very nice. So I then searched online and saw some places that made references to the 42" having a glossy bezel.

So I just want to know if the 50" will have a matte or glossy bezel?

TIA
post #294 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 View Post

So I was thinking about getting the 50" (50PF9731D) and I went to look at it at BB last night but they only had the 42" (42PF9631D). The TV looked really nice, but I can't seem to figure out the bezel colors. On the Philips website, they all look to be Glossy, but in the store, the 42" had a matte black bezel that frankly didn't look very nice. So I then searched online and saw some places that made references to the 42" having a glossy bezel.So I just want to know if the 50" will have a matte or glossy bezel?TIA

All 9631's have a thick black bezel. Silver bezels are on the older 7000 models.
post #295 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 AM

he wants to know if it's a glossy black or a matte black.
post #296 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandau View Post

he wants to know if it's a glossy black or a matte black.

If glossy black is what Samsung panels have, this one is closer to Matte black.
post #297 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM

alright so dug a little deeper and found the only reference on the philips website to the bezel colors.

from those little three page pamphlets on each model i found that the 9631 model are labeled as having a "Black and Silver" bezel while the 9731 model is labeled as a "High Gloss Black" bezel. I guess that's the answer right there.
post #298 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 PM

anyone have any luck getting good timings for the display?
the specs say 1024x768, but i get a stretched display. (i'm assuming the pixels arent square)
i ended up picking a bizzare resolution powerstrip found and tweaking it a bit to reduce overscan

(this is for the 9431 model from costco, i believe its the same panel as the 9631)

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1088x606=1088,80,112,160,606,2,3,19,54519,2048

Generic timing details for 1088x606:
HFP=80 HSW=112 HBP=160 kHz=38 VFP=2 VSW=3 VBP=19 Hz=60

VESA detailed timing:
PClk=54.52 H.Active=1088 H.Blank=352 H.Offset=64 HSW=112 V.Active=606 V.Blank=24 V.Offset=2 VSW=3

Linux modeline parameters:
"1088x606" 54.519 1088 1168 1280 1440 606 608 611 630 +hsync +vsync
post #299 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

I am switching to the 9631 in a 50-inch...from a Vizio. I have gone through several different tv's...from LCD to plasma...back to LCD and back to plasma now. My main issue is gaming. The LCD's rendered dreadful blacks and uneven/cloudy backlighting...leaving a game like "Gears of War" looking horrible in dark scenes.

So, I turn now to the Philips. Any recommended settings for XBOX360/PS3? In my previous experience gaming on two plasmas (Samsung 5053, Vizio), plasma's are just too dark for effective gaming. Then there is the burn-in issue. The Vizio had just horrible image retention. The "Gears of War" startup screen was up for 20 seconds...and then I could read the shadow of the word "Gears" throughout the next 15 minutes of running the game.

So, any tips for gaming on the 9631? I am not going back to LCD because of backlighting issues/bad black levels...so please don't try to talk me into switching back to LCD.

Thanks in advance.
post #300 of 1654 Old 01-12-2007, 05:55 PM

question about our 42pf9631D plasma....does it have a built in upconvert or scaler? Just curious. thx
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips 37pf9631d 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv With Ambilight , Philips Consumer Electronic , Philips Consumer Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page