Philips 42PF9631D HD Plasma - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1642 Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Called Philips when the set came back on and they guided me through the process, downloaded the firmware from their site, ver. 1.9.0.0 I put in on an empty stick, not brand new, but empty. They had me install it with the set on. It worked until I shut it off, then I went out around 2 p.m. Came back an hour ago (11 p.m.) and same deal, flashing red led. I let it go through 7 or 8 cycles, plugging, unplugging, plugging, unplugging, and it came back on and is still on. Do all brands of plasma t.v. have this kind of problem? From the length of the thread, seems like many people have the similar symptoms.

Confused in Boston

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1642 Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM

i turned the set on this morning and had the same problem, red led's. it cycled through the on off unplug replug set 13 times, which took about 15 minutes, before it finally came on. it's still on, and from what i've seen, there hasn't been a glitch all day. incredible picture. ideas???
post #813 of 1642 Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe that others on the 9630 thread had this problem; I would scroll through the 9630 User Thread from early-2006 onward and see what they diagnosed the problem as.

A few people may have had this on the 9631 thread (this one); probably best to check back on late-2006 and early-2007 posts.
post #814 of 1642 Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM

i went through this thread and didn't see anything. i'll check 9630 thread. thanks
post #815 of 1642 Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM

i've had a technician come over from one of philips authorized repair centers to take a look at the tv. he couldn't pinpoint the problem but did say that the power board needed replacement. charged $155 for home visit and then wanted another $450 to order the part and come back and replace it. i ended up buying the power board on ebay for $75(they usually run around $200) and replaced it myself. by the way, if anyone needs the power board for philips 42pf9631d, it's part number is LJ44-00119A.
post #816 of 1642 Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Last few posts on the Philips 9630 User Thread apparently have a work-around for all these 'flashing light/on-off' problems....I'll try and re-paste later, but those of you with the startup problem should go there immediately and see if it works on the 9631.
post #817 of 1642 Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I am one of the ones on the 9630 thread that had it happen. First time it 's done it in the 2 years I've owned the tv. I unplugged it then plugged back in and it came on. It's been fine since then which was a week ago. If it is a power board & if it's a common problem, I will call & get it fixed while the extended warranty is still in effect.I have a 50PF9630.
post #818 of 1642 Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Indept, what are the 2 hour counts that you have (and does the PDP display counter only go up to 4,000 hours before you have to reset it?) ?
post #819 of 1642 Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 AM

About 3 days ago, my 9631 started acting funny when it's shut off. Previously when the TV was turned off, it would click-click about 1-4 seconds after pressing off. Now, it's taking over 2 minutes before the click-click occurs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
post #820 of 1642 Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaSaxT View Post

Since you brought it up, I'll report a little follow-up:

The problem hasn't gotten worse, thank goodness. So at this point, we're not spending a couple hundred bucks to get this repaired to fix two minutes of inconvenience each day. Hopefully everything will continue this way.

Follow-up 2: The power-up issue has seemed to completely go away in the last week. My TV now powers on the first time, every time. This coincided with the also unexplainable end of a week's worth of flickering lights in my house.

So, I'm starting to think there was never anything wrong the TV itself, but I'm not sure. I only had the flickering lights a week, but had the TV power-up issues for three months. The morning I was going to ask the landlord to send an electrician over, the flickering lights had stopped and the TV was working. Perhaps there was a gremlin in my house.

In all seriousness, this is a 90-year-old house I'm living in with and old circuit breaker and certainly old wiring. Maybe there was a tree branch leaning on the line outside. I don't know. But I'm certainly glad my TV seems to work properly again, with no money out of my pocket!
post #821 of 1642 Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Indept, what are the 2 hour counts that you have (and does the PDP display counter only go up to 4,000 hours before you have to reset it?) ?

PhilipsPhanatic,

Operational hrs: 6347
PDP hrs: 0663

Remember back in nov of'08 you sent out the tip sheet II and you asked about this & I was at PDP = 4000 and you said to reset it to 0 which I did then but this is where they're at today.
post #822 of 1642 Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, it's been 2 years since i got the TV so i guess with those hours, it should last 20 years given an anticipated half life of 60K hours
post #823 of 1642 Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM

It's been a long time since I've been here, only now that I have a problem. A couple of times now I'm encountering the 7 blinking red lights, not of doom I hope. I've had this excellent tv now since 08/2006 and have operational hours of 9578 and PDP at 4000. Any insight as to the powering up problem? What's with the reseting of the PDP?
Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
post #824 of 1642 Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM

does that list still exist??? tmdelisle@yahoo(dot)com
post #825 of 1642 Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM

hello all and hopefully this makes sense. anyhow i came home from work today and i was watching some tv for a little bit and my screen died on me. now when i turn it on it looks like one of those windows media screen savers. you know, like when you are listening to music. i called best buy and they are going to send someone over on tuesday to fix it. the screen has red and green flashing colors. all i remember was hearing a pop and then a burning smell. next my screen went black and the flashing colors came on. has this happen to anyone?
post #826 of 1642 Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizidthemc View Post

hello all and hopefully this makes sense. anyhow i came home from work today and i was watching some tv for a little bit and my screen died on me. now when i turn it on it looks like one of those windows media screen savers. you know, like when you are listening to music. i called best buy and they are going to send someone over on tuesday to fix it. the screen has red and green flashing colors. all i remember was hearing a pop and then a burning smell. next my screen went black and the flashing colors came on. has this happen to anyone?

Welcome vizidthemc.
I haven't heard of that but then there are tons of posts here that I've never read. Just curious, what model is your TV & how long ago did you buy it?
post #827 of 1642 Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizidthemc View Post

hello. I kind of have the same issue, although I have the 9630a. Yesterday I was watching tv and suddenly the image shrunk down and to the left with some reddish horizontal lines and went totally black. I have audio, but no picture whatsoever. Not even the tv menu will display. I did not hear anything strange nor smell anything unusual. Does this seems like a power board kind of issue to you guys? I bought the set 3 years ago and had no problems until now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #828 of 1642 Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Heller View Post

hello. I kind of have the same issue, although I have the 9630a. Yesterday I was watching tv and suddenly the image shrunk down and to the left with some reddish horizontal lines and went totally black. I have audio, but no picture whatsoever. Not even the tv menu will display. I did not hear anything strange nor smell anything unusual. Does this seems like a power board kind of issue to you guys? I bought the set 3 years ago and had no problems until now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gabriel,
Just curious, do you have any idea of the hours count on your 9630?
post #829 of 1642 Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

gabriel,
Just curious, do you have any idea of the hours count on your 9630?

Hi indept,

I have absolutely no idea. Doing some very rough averages, I guess the Tv is used between 4-5 hours per day (almost three full years now). Does 3 years sound like literally a breaking point?
Those this problem seems to be related to the Y board and buffer issues I have read?

I still have to contact philips down here and see what are my options (and costs).

Appreciate your help
post #830 of 1642 Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

About 3 days ago, my 9631 started acting funny when it's shut off. Previously when the TV was turned off, it would click-click about 1-4 seconds after pressing off. Now, it's taking over 2 minutes before the click-click occurs. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

No, as long as the TV is still working I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure your firmware is up-to-date.
post #831 of 1642 Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Oh yeah, it's been 2 years since i got the TV so i guess with those hours, it should last 20 years given an anticipated half life of 60K hours

If we get 15,000 hours that's fine. Heck, if it's a 2nd or 3rd TV you could get many more years out of it even if it konks out at 10,000 hours.
post #832 of 1642 Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdelisle View Post

It's been a long time since I've been here, only now that I have a problem. A couple of times now I'm encountering the 7 blinking red lights, not of doom I hope. I've had this excellent tv now since 08/2006 and have operational hours of 9578 and PDP at 4000. Any insight as to the powering up problem? What's with the reseting of the PDP?
Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(1) Again, not an expert on this red flashing light thing -- has it been 100% certified what the problem is ? Guys who've had the problem, speak up !!

You should be able to get it fixed. Is your set working (or should I say is it working NOW ??).

(2) PDP hours is limited to a count of 4,000....scroll in using the directional arrows and reset it to "0000"....it should start counting up again after a few hours of use.
post #833 of 1642 Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdelisle View Post

does that list still exist??? tmdelisle@yahoo(dot)com

I'll send you the Tip Sheet -- if that's what you want -- today or tomorrow.
post #834 of 1642 Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hello. I kind of have the same issue, although I have the 9630a. Yesterday I was watching tv and suddenly the image shrunk down and to the left with some reddish horizontal lines and went totally black. I have audio, but no picture whatsoever. Not even the tv menu will display. I did not hear anything strange nor smell anything unusual. Does this seems like a power board kind of issue to you guys? I bought the set 3 years ago and had no problems until now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just a reminder on all these problems: make SURE it's a Philips problem with the display, and not the cable STB, your cords, etc.

See if the problem is there for HDTV, SDTV, and a DVD.

If you have HDMI, try component...and vice-versa.

Check firmware upgrades/downgrades, too.
post #835 of 1642 Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Just a reminder on all these problems: make SURE it's a Philips problem with the display, and not the cable STB, your cords, etc.

See if the problem is there for HDTV, SDTV, and a DVD.

If you have HDMI, try component...and vice-versa.

Check firmware upgrades/downgrades, too.

Hi PhilipsPhanatic,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried every connection I could think of and still get no picture so I am pretty sure it´s the TV. As mentioned on my post above, even if I press the "menu" bottom on the TV´s remote, nothing shows up in the screen..it remains black. I do not have any blinking red lights.

Thanks for any help
post #836 of 1642 Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi PhilipsPhanatic, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried every connection I could think of and still get no picture so I am pretty sure it´s the TV. As mentioned on my post above, even if I press the "menu" bottom on the TV´s remote, nothing shows up in the screen..it remains black. I do not have any blinking red lights. Thanks for any help

So upon power-on, black screen and no sound ?

Should be easy to diagnose...try a reputable repair shop and tell them you got an offer to repair it for $300 and ask if they'll beat that -- my guess is they will.
post #837 of 1642 Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:

So upon power-on, black screen and no sound ?

Should be easy to diagnose...try a reputable repair shop and tell them you got an offer to repair it for $300 and ask if they'll beat that -- my guess is they will.

I do have sound and the TV seems to change channels (meaning the remote is working) and have no red lights. The problem is the screen itself (no video of any kind nor the TV's internal menu). Sometimes I can see some brown "patches" around 1 square inch each in random places on the screen.

Called a repair shop and took the Tv to do a diagnostic on it. They called me to tell me that the panel itself is toast. They ask me if I had noticed a change on voltage when the problem occurred, which I do not think so. Anyway, the repair cost is around $1,200 and they told me that I could choose not to have it fixed, but pay $1,000 and get the exact same model only that instead of a 42 inch it would be a 50 inch plasma (or a "newer" 47 inch LCD). Any of these two TV will have a warranty of 6 months, but I believe a can buy a new Tv for maybe $200 dollars more.

I did have the TV connected to a power surge protector. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the fuse would blow with any drastic change in voltage. Any recommendations on what is best to protect a plasma form power surges, changes in voltage etc ?

Any comments welcomed and thanks for your help
post #838 of 1642 Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do have sound and the TV seems to change channels (meaning the remote is working) and have no red lights. The problem is the screen itself (no video of any kind nor the TV's internal menu). Sometimes I can see some brown "patches" around 1 square inch each in random places on the screen.

Called a repair shop and took the Tv to do a diagnostic on it. They called me to tell me that the panel itself is toast. They ask me if I had noticed a change on voltage when the problem occurred, which I do not think so. Anyway, the repair cost is around $1,200 and they told me that I could choose not to have it fixed, but pay $1,000 and get the exact same model only that instead of a 42 inch it would be a 50 inch plasma (or a "newer" 47 inch LCD). Any of these two TV will have a warranty of 6 months, but I believe a can buy a new Tv for maybe $200 dollars more.

I did have the TV connected to a power surge protector. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the fuse would blow with any drastic change in voltage. Any recommendations on what is best to protect a plasma form power surges, changes in voltage etc ?

Any comments welcomed and thanks for your help

Gabriel,
Sorry to hear about the dead panel, that sucks. With the deals out there it's definitely not worth fixing. There is a Murphy's law saying that, updating for present technology, a $1200 plasma panel will blow to protect a 25 cent fuse.
As far as what to use to protect it, I bought a 500w battery backup for my 50" 9630. I got it because a few months before getting my plasma I remember a thunderstorm where the power browned out a few times, then went off, on, off, on, off, on about 1 second apart so I figured a battery backup gives me the option of turning the TV off in a controlled manner rather than subjecting it to that kind of abuse.
post #839 of 1642 Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks indept,

I didn´t fix the set. I decided it was a good time to move towards 1080p and 60". I decided, mainly for peace of mind, to get a Panamax surge protector. Hope I never have to learn if that was a wise investment or not.

Best regards,
G
post #840 of 1642 Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Hi, so I'm not seeing an owners thread for my 50PF9631D/37, so, I thought I would post here. For the last week when I turn the tv on I'm noticing these bright little 'stars' flashing all over the screen. They twinkle and disappear, but there's quite a few of them and they go away after about 10 minutes. It doesn't matter what I'm watching (blu-ray, satellite, HD, SD). It started in the upper left hand corner, now it's spreading and getting worse...I was wondering if anyone on here has had similar issues like this with there 42".

Another issue that I saw tonight was when I turned my BD30 on, and it was on the blue main screen. It went from a lighter blue, then it flickered to a darker blue...I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end

I bought this set in fall of 2006, I have firmware 1.9, and I'm hooked up to Panamax.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips 37pf9631d 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv With Ambilight , Philips Consumer Electronic , Philips Consumer Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page