Philips 42PF9631D HD Plasma - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1653 Old 10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cable TV STB users, how's your signal strength?

If you have a SA4200 or 8300 you can get the RF Parameters (3 numbers) by doing these steps:

(1) Hit the round button in between the CHANNEL UP/DOWN buttons on the STB. Hold it in until....

(2) The LED above the ENVELOPE insignia flashes. When it does, release the round button.

(3) Hit the INFO button on the STB

(4) RF Parameters and other gibberish comes on the screen. To get rid of it, hit EXIT.

My numbers ar -11, -4, -60. I believe the 1st number is most important, mine was lower before they came out and fixed the signal. Before that I had bigtime pixelization breakup on HD and digital channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1653 Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

What's the native resolution of the 9631 ??

And what is 'pixel mapping' and how does this relate to native resolution ?
post #93 of 1653 Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Why is Closed Captioning working when I watch TV programs through AV2 (VCR) or when I watch a VCR tape (obviousley, using AV2) -- but when I use AV1 for channels like tonight's World Series game, it doesn't print text ???
post #94 of 1653 Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm guessing you have component into AV1?
There's no captions through component hookup.
Mike
post #95 of 1653 Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Why is Closed Captioning working when I watch TV programs through AV2 (VCR) or when I watch a VCR tape (obviousley, using AV2) -- but when I use AV1 for channels like tonight's World Series game, it doesn't print text ???

From what I can tell most of the HD channels do not broadcast Closed Captions with their TV picture; an exception is ESPN who do provide CC with HD. So, when I was watching the World Series on DISH channel for FOXHD which is DISH channel 6392, I do not get closed captions. If I watch the same show on DISH 8373, that is the FOX SD version, and it includes closed captions. I guess if I have to trade picture quality bandwith for closed caption bandwidth, I will take the picture quality.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
post #96 of 1653 Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjnovak View Post

I'm guessing you have component into AV1? There's no captions through component hookup. Mike

Yes, I have component into AV1. I split the cable signal and one of the feeds is going directly into the Philips TV, the other goes into the STB.

So it's the TV ??? What idiocy.....

If I watch SD/HD through AV2(with the VCR set to Ch. 3), the video signal is a bit less and it has grey borders all around.
post #97 of 1653 Old 10-28-2006, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I take it our Philips TV doesn't have any burn-in prevention/repair things to activate like the newer Samsungs?

Is there some kind of white-screen thing that protects or refreshes or repairs if we ever get a problem?

What about doing something on a regular basis to prevent it?
post #98 of 1653 Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:

I take it our Philips TV doesn't have any burn-in prevention/repair things to activate like the newer Samsungs?

Is there some kind of white-screen thing that protects or refreshes or repairs if we ever get a problem?

What about doing something on a regular basis to prevent it?

I have had my Philips 50PF9631D since about mid-July (nearing 1000 hours of playing time) and have no discernible burn-in relics. Most of my viewing is full screen. I do notice occasionally that the infamous ESPNHD symbol in the lower right hand corner can be seen for a few seconds after the picture changes, but it does not last. I have watched a movie in letterbox format, and whatever effect that has is lost in the subsequent full screen viewing. I do not use my plasma for games, so that is not a factor for me. One thing I do is play relaxation DVD's from VAT19 (e.g. fish tank views) for several hours on many days, and that would wash out any image retention very well. Lastly, most of my viewing is with the Philips factory picture setting labeled as "SOFT" which is my preference. Still haven't gotten around to calibrating with the AVIA DVD, although I do have the disc. So, burn-in has not been a problem for me.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
post #99 of 1653 Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retexan599 View Post

I have had my Philips 50PF9631D since about mid-July (nearing 1000 hours of playing time) and have no discernible burn-in relics. Most of my viewing is full screen. I do notice occasionally that the infamous ESPNHD symbol in the lower right hand corner can be seen for a few seconds after the picture changes, but it does not last. I have watched a movie in letterbox format, and whatever effect that has is lost in the subsequent full screen viewing. I do not use my plasma for games, so that is not a factor for me. One thing I do is play relaxation DVD's from VAT19 (e.g. fish tank views) for several hours on many days, and that would wash out any image retention very well. Lastly, most of my viewing is with the Philips factory picture setting labeled as "SOFT" which is my preference. Still haven't gotten around to calibrating with the AVIA DVD, although I do have the disc. So, burn-in has not been a problem for me.

The other day I fell asleep with a DVD playing and when it ended, the SONY blue screen and logo came up but the DVD player has a screen saver which came on after 10 or 20 minutes. I woke up about an hour after the DVD finished so it wasn't on all the time.

I let AUTOMATIC usually fill the screen. If it's a movie with friends like LOTR or ROTLA then I use WIDESCREEN and let bars stay on the top/bottom.

SOFT has 75/46/58/1/NORMAL/PIXEL PLUS/MINIMUM/MEDIUM/ON/0/MAXIMUM as the settings I see. Why don't you use these settings which I inputed as PERSONAL; they're a combination of what others here used (from the compilation I included in the Philips Tips Sheet) and my DVE disk:

63/56/56/1/COOL/PIXEL PLUS/MEDIUM/MEDIUM/ON/3/MEDIUM (I skiped format each time because we can change that easily with the FORMAT button). With the Active Control changed from MAX to MED, you should notice that the picture is brighter right away. None/Min/Med you can't tell much difference.

BTW, does anybody know what "ECO" stands for in the settings lineup ? I use PERSONAL for all my viewing even though I'm well past break-in.
post #100 of 1653 Old 10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Petition Solution? If others can set up one of those online petitions, I could obtain from my Wall Street contacts the appropriate people to contact @ Philips here in the US and in the Netherlands.

We could tell them we like their products and offer solutions to help them become more consumer-friendly. Off the top of my head would be an quick-response e-mail system for troubleshooting; a technical ombudsman to offer suggestions/needs for firmware upgrades; suggestions for future models/designs (things to definitely avoid, things we'd love to see).

Thoughts ?
post #101 of 1653 Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Volume Levels: I noticed that the sound when listening to a DVD (AV3) is lower (even with the number level unchanged) than when watching TV through AV1 or even the VCR through AV2.

Anyone else notice this? Any solution, other than putting the sound level about 10 numbers higher to compensate ?
post #102 of 1653 Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm guessing you have component into AV1? There's no captions through component hookup. Mike

Mike....getting captioning through the TV input though.

Also, sometimes hitting INFO onthe remote shows me VIRTUAL DOLBY SURROUND (using AV1 and the STB) and other times I see VIRTUAL DOLBY DIGITAL (TV setting utilizing the Philips own tuner). Any difference in these ?
post #103 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:

Mike....getting captioning through the TV input though.

Also, sometimes hitting INFO onthe remote shows me VIRTUAL DOLBY SURROUND (using AV1 and the STB) and other times I see VIRTUAL DOLBY DIGITAL (TV setting utilizing the Philips own tuner). Any difference in these ?

I assume you mean you get captioning when you're using the coax (tv in) and not through component. This is normal and not the tv's fault. I'm almost 100% positive that captions are not supported by the component video standard. You only get captions through coax and I think s-video as well. Note captions are not the same as subtitles. If your DVD has subtitles and you turn them on, you will see them even through component.

I might need to know more about your audio connections to help with your second question, but here's my guess:

When you see Virtual Dolby Surround your TV is taking an analog stereo in and simulating surround.

When you see Virtual Dolby Digital your TV is taking a digital 5.1 in via the coax and simulating surround.

It is simulating in the sense that in both cases the TV only has two speakers.

Mike
post #104 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume you mean you get captioning when you're using the coax (tv in) and not through component. This is normal and not the tv's fault. I'm almost 100% positive that captions are not supported by the component video standard. You only get captions through coax and I think s-video as well. Note captions are not the same as subtitles. If your DVD has subtitles and you turn them on, you will see them even through component.

Right, I have the splitter and a separate coax is going directly into the Philips and that allowed me to watch the NBC game last night in HiDef with captioning. The other coax goes into the STB and then components take it into the Philips -- no CC possible.

Why captioning is lost depending on how the signal gets to the TV is beyond me. Kinda stupid if you ask me....

Quote:

I might need to know more about your audio connections to help with your second question, but here's my guess: When you see Virtual Dolby Surround your TV is taking an analog stereo in and simulating surround. When you see Virtual Dolby Digital your TV is taking a digital 5.1 in via the coax and simulating surround. It is simulating in the sense that in both cases the TV only has two speakers. Mike

Sounds logical...at this point without any attached speakers it's all about the same anyway.

Any reason why volume changes depending on TV, AV1 (STB), AV2 (VCR), and AV3 (DVD) -- biggest dropoff is through the DVD player, I have to put the volume 5-10 numbers higher to keep the level the same when I use my excercise bike and make sure I can hear the sound (BTW, that's why I also like captioning -- so I can read what I might miss while doing my biking).
post #105 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Hi,

I can get a great price on a new philips 42PF9631D and am seriously considering it, but i'm just wondering about quality? I know the picture is great, but how's the build quality? Everything i've heard about reliability is quite poor, mostly for the older models though, not too much for the 9631 so did they get it right this time?

Thanks for the advice!
Tristan
post #106 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsang1101 View Post

Hi, I can get a great price on a new philips 42PF9631D and am seriously considering it, but i'm just wondering about quality? I know the picture is great, but how's the build quality? Everything i've heard about reliability is quite poor, mostly for the older models though, not too much for the 9631 so did they get it right this time? Thanks for the advice! Tristan

Get the set and a warranty to protect yourself. Most of us have had great experiences with the Philips. The warranty protects yourself.

Some people here would have you believe that 100% perfection and reliability is just around the corner with Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, etc. You can scan the thread headlines yourself and see that's not the case.

Get the set if you like it...I presume you did some comparison shopping....have you read the 9630 and 9631 User Threads (or scanned them) ?

If/when you get the set, let me know and I'll send you the Philips Useful Tips Sheet.

Good luck whatever you decide.
post #107 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Philips Tips Sheet Reminder: If you have the 9630 or 9631 (or even larger size equivalents, plasma or LCD) you will probably find the compilation of posts from the User Threads on the former models useful. Just PM me and I'll send it.
post #108 of 1653 Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:

...The other coax goes into the STB and then components take it into the Philips -- no CC possible.
Why captioning is lost depending on how the signal gets to the TV is beyond me. Kinda stupid if you ask me....

One thought:
Not having any STB I don't know - can you turn on the CC at the STB? This could theoretically work if it is available.

The CC is carried in unused lines of the modulated video signal. Your TV knows to look for CC data there; there's no provision for it in the line level video signals. Since component splits the signal it would need to be turned on and encoded into the picture before the split, no way to carry it in pieces and rework it afterward.
Quote:

Any reason why volume changes depending on TV, AV1 (STB), AV2 (VCR), and AV3 (DVD) -- biggest dropoff is through the DVD player, I have to put the volume 5-10 numbers higher

Your guess is as good as mine.
Just a low output DVD I assume. If it makes you feel any better mine is exactly the same - DVD at like +6 and everything else at 0.
One thing you could try is if your DVD has adjustable DRC or a night mode, if you can stand that sort of thing.

Mike
post #109 of 1653 Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thought:
Not having any STB I don't know - can you turn on the CC at the STB? This could theoretically work if it is available.

Good point...I think the SA 4200 has this feature, not sure it would even work, but it's just as easy to just watch the TV through AV2 (VCR) and get the captioning that way. Also easier if I'm watching a tape when commercials come on.

Quote:

Your guess is as good as mine. Just a low output DVD I assume. If it makes you feel any better mine is exactly the same - DVD at like +6 and everything else at 0. One thing you could try is if your DVD has adjustable DRC or a night mode, if you can stand that sort of thing. Mike

Thanks, will look for it in the menu and maybe I can up the volume. If not, it's a minor inconvenience.
post #110 of 1653 Old 11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

So as I understand it, I can 'check off' some channels and take them out of my Philips' TV's Preferred Channel List -- when I use the UP/DOWN button it will skip over them, right?

But no way to permanently delete them (I guess it doesn't matter, I would never remember some of the channel numbers, like 84.16 etc) ?

What about labeling -- some of the channels automatically scanned in have logos like "NBC" or something when you hit the INFO button -- but most are just numbers. Do we have some kind of labeling ability on this TV? I have it on a 11-year old ProScan -- in fact, most TV's 10 years ago allowed you to manually input a label.

Maybe we should let Philips know about this so we can get it in a future upgrade ?
post #111 of 1653 Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody noticed the 'black screen' that appears on the TV when the channel cuts away from one program to another -- in other words, the screen goes black for a second or so? Or if you are watching a show with a very black background ?

I noticed that I'm seeing about 8-10 vertical bars (maybe each 3-4" across) and it looks like alternating black-ish and purplish bars. I tend to see this on SD and VCR stuff. I do NOT see any imgage of these bars during light scenes or regular TV viewing -- it appears to be the way the TV is creating a black/dark background for various scenes.

I'll see if I see it on and HD Channel when it cuts away to a commercial or on a DVD with dark scenes (Star Wars or something). Let me know if any of you have seen this -- I tend to think it's just poor video quality being dealt with by the TV in re-creating blacks/dark backgrounds.
post #112 of 1653 Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know why sometimes less INFO appears on the top line when you hit the INFO button -- sometimes the type of signal appears, othertimes it doesn't, depdning on where the signal is coming from.
post #113 of 1653 Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Hello all...
Great reviews!!!
Very helpful stuff
Thank you...

Does anyone want to give me an idea of a what a good price is on the 42PF9631D?
I saw Costco had them for $1899.99 on their website....

TIA
post #114 of 1653 Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kJer View Post

Hello all...Great reviews!!! Very helpful stuff Thank you...
Does anyone want to give me an idea of a what a good price is on the 42PF9631D? I saw Costco had them for $1899.99 on their website....
TIA

Be careful talking about price, we don't want to violate TOS.

I didn't know Costco had the 9631, thought they had their own model which was slightly different cosmetically and also number-wise. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe I can quote MSRP here and I think it's closer to $1500 give or take a few bucks. Don't forget to get a warranty and include that -- better to pay $100 more on the TV and get a good warranty for $300 less than someone who low-balls you on the TV and jacks up the warranty.

There are tons of deals going on through the next week or so so look around. Cleveland Plasma on AVS has gotten good reviews from people here. Check out Costco and Sam's for their models (might not be the exact 9631) or look at Sears, Tweeters, CC. I'd avoid BB but that's my choice.

Remember, you want Pixel Plus and Ambilight on whatever model you get. I presume you're looking at 42" sets ?
post #115 of 1653 Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

How do I get into the area that gives hours of operation? I did it months ago and forgot how. I believe it is NOT the same as just entering the SM -- I did that and didn't find the hours of operation indicators.

Thanks, guys !
post #116 of 1653 Old 11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Besides how to get hours of operation, how is everyone cleaning their screen of (1) just light dust and (2) any smudges/fingerprints from kids.

(2) is more difficult, I'm figuring (1) can be cleaned with a light rag with or without Endust.
post #117 of 1653 Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 PM

I recently purchased the Philips 9631 and thus far have been very impressed. Allow me to tell a quick story.

After I bought it and mounted it on the wall, I set it up this way:

Cable Box to TV via HDMI 1
XBox 360 to AV1 via Component RGB
Replay TV to AV2 via Composite RYW

I am able to get PIP between the Cable box and Replay TV. I'm able to swap easily between the two. BUT, I can not do PIP between the Cable box and Xbox OR the Replay TV and Xbox. I get the signal not available message.

Is there a way to do this? Does anybody else have an Xbox 360 that they can use with PIP? Can you only PIP between HDMI and Composite? The Xbox is running at 720p and I have tried it on 1080i as well.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Now, I have something to contribute. When I first set this up, I noticed whenever I used my PIP and swapped back, my picture settings would reset to SOFT. I would manually go back and change it to my preferred settings. Finally, I got fed up and called Philips. After being on hold LESS than 3 minutes, I spoke to a guy who told me it was a firmware issue. He asked me if I had a flash drive, I didn't and so he mailed one out with the most current firmware. I was very impressed. NO COST for this. About 4 days later, I received a 64MB USB flash drive. However, it is NOT a firmware issue, it is a default setting by the TV. On page 40 of the manual it states:

"Due to possible digital image distortion when displaying signals from connected digital equipment, automatically the Auto picture setting SOFT is selected, if you selected Digital STB in the Source menu. Changing this setting during reviewing will NOT be stored as Personal setting after switched off."

So, to fix this bug, do not select "DIGITAL STB" for any of your inputs. This will keep your setting from going back to SOFT.

Hope this helps somebody.
post #118 of 1653 Old 11-26-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeg View Post

I recently purchased the Philips 9631 and thus far have been very impressed. Allow me to tell a quick story. After I bought it and mounted it on the wall, I set it up this way: Cable Box to TV via HDMI 1 XBox 360 to AV1 via Component RGB Replay TV to AV2 via Composite RYW I am able to get PIP between the Cable box and Replay TV. I'm able to swap easily between the two. BUT, I can not do PIP between the Cable box and Xbox OR the Replay TV and Xbox. I get the signal not available message. Is there a way to do this? Does anybody else have an Xbox 360 that they can use with PIP? Can you only PIP between HDMI and Composite? The Xbox is running at 720p and I have tried it on 1080i as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

OK, this could be the 'blind leading the blind' but I'll give it a shot since we've lost alot of smarter talent on the Philips plasmas over time.

I'm not sure what Replay TV is, but anyway, when you do the PIP and get the NOT AVAILABLE message, are you sure you've got the right SOURCE in the PIP box?

Remember, 1 channel (the big box) must be digital. Hit PIP.....then, hilight the small PIP box to YELLOW by pushing the round directional pad to the RIGHT...the little box should turn YELLOW...this tells you you are now controlling functions inside the little box....hit SOURCE and make sure that you are drawing the right input into that box. Remember, don't leave the box lit YELLOW for any length of time -- hit the directional key LEFT to turn it back to less-threatening grey.

Does that do anything? (sorry, I don't have xbox or TV Replay)

Quote:

Now, I have something to contribute. When I first set this up, I noticed whenever I used my PIP and swapped back, my picture settings would reset to SOFT.

How are you even swapping? I didn't see any mention of that in the Manual, how do you do it?

Quote:

I would manually go back and change it to my preferred settings. Finally, I got fed up and called Philips. After being on hold LESS than 3 minutes, I spoke to a guy who told me it was a firmware issue. He asked me if I had a flash drive, I didn't and so he mailed one out with the most current firmware. I was very impressed. NO COST for this. About 4 days later, I received a 64MB USB flash drive. However, it is NOT a firmware issue, it is a default setting by the TV. On page 40 of the manual it states: "Due to possible digital image distortion when displaying signals from connected digital equipment, automatically the Auto picture setting SOFT is selected, if you selected Digital STB in the Source menu. Changing this setting during reviewing will NOT be stored as Personal setting after switched off." So, to fix this bug, do not select "DIGITAL STB" for any of your inputs. This will keep your setting from going back to SOFT. Hope this helps somebody.

Yes, it's a little glitch that we picked up but thanks for mentioning it. It's amazing that simply calling an Input by another name, not changing any software or hardware but just calling it PVR or whatever, keeps the PERSONAL setting. We're used to it by now, but you'd think Philips would be able to let us call it whatever we want, whether DIGITAL STB or "HEY, IDIOT" !!

Anyway, welcome aboard and keep posting so we can share experiences and keep learning.
post #119 of 1653 Old 11-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Yeah, I've gone through each input and can't find the xbox in PIP. If I just switch to that input (without the PIP), i get it just fine.

One channel is digital, as far as I can tell by this set up:

Cable Box via HDMI (digital)
Xbox 360 via Component (digital)
Replay TV via Composite (Analog)

So if I have cable box and Xbox it's both digital -or- if I have Replay TV and Xbox, it is analog and digital. The only setting I can get to work is HDMI and Composite.

BTW- a Replay TV is similar to a Tivo, just older with a cool feature called IVS that allows you to share TV shows over the internet with other Replay TV users.
post #120 of 1653 Old 11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Pilot, first, how do you SWAP the 2 PIP boxes ??

Second, I have a splitter with 1 lead going directly to the Philips and the other to the STB and then to the TV via component. Here's my setup:

(1) AV1 is is component from the STB (that's my 2nd line from the splitter)
(2) AV2 is for the VCR; using L/R audio and a yellow video jack (not using S-Video)
(3) AV3 is DVD, using component

I can get all 3 of them in the little box if the big box is digital and drawn from TV (another SOURCE).

It's a bit funky and tricky but I guess depending on the setup -- without (or with) HDMI -- you need to utilize that 2nd line from the splitter for some functions. It appears HDMI allows you to get some PIP but not all.

All I know is you apparently aren't using a splitter so you don't use the SOURCE at the top listed as "TV" -- I do use that and that allows my little PIP box to show the 3 AVS's (STB, VCR, DVD).

Confusing, I know, but I hope it helps.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips 37pf9631d 37 Inch Lcd Hdtv With Ambilight , Philips Consumer Electronic , Philips Consumer Electronics
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page