AVS Forum banner

Pioneer 6070HD/PRO1540 Owners Thread !!

63K views 550 replies 122 participants last post by  JimP 
#1 ·
Keep it light , please.

Topics: Technical , settings, pictures, stands, mounts anything related to these awesome sets. Have an issue with your set lets kindly help people out.

Enjoy...

#452 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran01 /forum/post/12608933

The key here is the average consumer. Which Pioneer has successfully duped out a serious amount of cash.

We need to keep in mind that this is the AVS forum where you guys live and breath this stuff.

I dug in for months and researched which brand, size, clarity to buy, thinking I was informed enough (apparently not enough) and spent more for a pioneer that said "accepts 1080p" at a time when many TVs in that price range couldn't so I figured it was what you get for getting pioneer.

I got it so that I could put a BluRay on it later and play it how it's intended to. I'm sorry, I meant "display it" as it was intended to.

Sucks for me. I'm going to BB to look at how at 768p, a Blu Ray looks.

If it doesn't fly much better than an upscaled DVD - I'm going to be very disappointed and will still feel duped. I will also make sure that I post about this little nuance on every rating for this TV on CC and BB sites so the average person will know.

First of all, you're likely to find that the 6070 looks better than the 6010s. I seriously wanted to upgrade from the 6070 to a 6010 and didn't because I never could find one that even after tweaking looked as good as what I already have.

Secondly.........you're complaining because your research was sloppy yet don't seem to know that you have a phenominal set.

#453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran01 /forum/post/12610428

Look -

I'm not the only one who think Pioneer discreetly pulled a fast one on consumers!!!!

to find the person who duped you, look in the mirror....all your extensive research and you didn't know this was a 768p native set? There's no way that anyone would mistake this for a 1080p native set after doing even a minimal amount of research.

#457 ·

Quote:

Look -

I'm not the only one who think Pioneer discreetly pulled a fast one on consumers!!!!

Check out the posts on Endgadget

No, that's only because you want to interpret the posts there that way, actually quite a few of the posts there DO know and understand what it really is.

Would you prefer instead, that whenever you try to feed it a 1080i or 1080p source, that you get just a blank screen instead of a picture? Because that is what used to happen with some of the first HD ready 1080i CRT based sets when you tried to feed them a 720p signal, they would go blank or go totally crazy trying to lock onto a scan rate that they could not even accept or display.

#458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/12617116

Would you prefer instead, that whenever you try to feed it a 1080i or 1080p source, that you get just a blank screen instead of a picture? Because that is what used to happen with some of the first HD ready 1080i CRT based sets when you tried to feed them a 720p signal, they would go blank or go totally crazy trying to lock onto a scan rate that they could not even accept or display.

And that is exactly what Pioneer's wording is all about. It wasn't meant to "dupe" anyone into thinking that they'd get 1080 output. On the contrary, it was to make sure people understood that it can actually accept a 1080 signal instead of what Johnla just described happening with the older sets.

#459 ·

Quote:

Look -

Check out the posts on Endgadget

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/06/08...smas/#comments

I just yesterday saw a 1080P Blue Ray disc connected to a Pioneer 50" with regular hd resolution of 768 (tad above 720p norm) and it looked incredibly good because it was doing so with 24 bit processing via its scaler. I know of no other brand of tv that can do this. Next to it they had a Sony XBR3 1080P panel, and it looked only slightly better than the the Pioneer when the Blue Ray was playing. On regular 1080I signals, the Sony had a lot of "noise" while the Pioneer had none. Watching a film clip showing cars doing 25mph you could see the Sony was blurry, while the Pioneer was crystal clear. Unless you are going to watch blue ray 95% of the time, and regular high def only 5%, 1080P is not that significant a factor in the buying process. The Pioneer Elite 50" 1080P model is $3000 more, so the scaling ability of the regular Pioneer is a great savings for someone who only plans on watching a few Blue Ray dvd's a week.

This is a quote from that very site; I think you're overreacting. The 6070 is an awesome set, and it will be quite awhile before it becomes outdated or superseded in practical everyday viewing. Enjoy your set, you got a great deal.

#461 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/8745639

The cheap speaker that comes with the TV is just two analog speakers in one.

I am considering using the speaker that comes with my 6070 as the Center Channel speaker. Is this a bad idea? Is it a crappy speaker? I have a Yamaha 5.1 Box Setup and the center channel speaker sounds pretty good. Should I stick with it? Thanks folks...

#462 ·
I was asked in a PM if in fact the Pioneer 6070 would accept a 1080p/24hz signal. I thought I'd post the pictures here just for educational purposes in case anyone was doubting. I'm using the Panasonic DMP-BD30 player.

NOTE: I took these as quick snapshots free handed (one handed actually), so please no comments on it not looking sharp. This is not for use to evaluate picture quality. I'd have to get the tripod out for that.

#463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurran01 /forum/post/12607825

I'm sorry but, WHAT THE #@$(&??????????????????????

I bought a PDP - 6070 where the brochure and the manual says "ability to accept 1080p" and it does not?

This is ********.

It does not "accept" 1080p, on ANY component. It bumps it down, doesn't even convert it.

Sends hate vibes to Pioneer for misleading. FALSE ADVERTISING, looking to sue Pioneer. Dropping $5k for a lie.

I want to know when you bought the 6070, because if you just bought it at the price you are complaining about, not only did you not do your research about the resolution of the TV, you didn't research the price. I paid less than that over a year ago.

And for what it's worth, it's an amazing TV.

#464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/12622129

Active,

Do you know which Blu-Ray player they were using? was it the Pioneer Elite 95?

No, I just followed the link that the poster provided, and this was the second-to-last-post. I don't want to be one of those posters who gets off on defending his/her own personal set, but the 6070 is the best set I have personally ever owned, and I'm not overly concerned that it is going to become immediately obsolete. Having said that, I know that the new KUROs have already surpassed it, but I'm pretty confident that you have to get on the bus at some point, and you will always discover something better if you had only waited a few more months. Trouble is: I'm not getting any younger, and all of this waiting just results in never getting to enjoy HD in the meantime.

#465 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat /forum/post/12622700

I am considering using the speaker that comes with my 6070 as the Center Channel speaker. Is this a bad idea? Is it a crappy speaker? I have a Yamaha 5.1 Box Setup and the center channel speaker sounds pretty good. Should I stick with it? Thanks folks...

Any help? Anyone...Bueller...Bueller...?

#466 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat /forum/post/12622700

IMO, it is the only weak link in a great set. Granted, I'm an audio fanatic, but it just plain hurts to listen to that speaker, can't wait to get a proper setup . . . my wife who has good ears but is not an audiophile concurs.

#468 ·
pmat,

If you're using a pedistal, you may find that leaving the speaker on gives it a better appearance.

Wall mounting, should be sans speakers.

Back to your question about using the Pioneer speaker as the center channel, very unlikely that it would sonically match your other speakers. With that said, what would it hurt to give it a try. Worst that could happen is that you have to unplug it.

#469 ·
I have a TW SA 8300HD hooked up via HDMI to my 6070 on input 6 and an OTA signal through ant B, but can't get the split screen to function.

I used to have the 8300HD hooked up via component with the OTA signal and the split screen worked great. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

#470 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 /forum/post/12624686

I want to know when you bought the 6070, because if you just bought it at the price you are complaining about, not only did you not do your research about the resolution of the TV, you didn't research the price. I paid less than that over a year ago.

And for what it's worth, it's an amazing TV.

I got it for $3500 in June, which is decent... but when you add in tax, installation, mounting bracket, HDMI cables it gets up there. In my heated rage. I threw out $5k. Yes, for what it's worth it rocks.

Yes, I am happy with what I have. And as I've stated more than once I've should've looked more, did more research etc. But geez! Buying a fricking car is easier and it costs MORE.

I was looking at getting this TV for months. Worried sick about the technology changing in a fews months, the prices dropping, etc. I went back and forth between a couple brands and models and I've every sales guy saying this one is 1080p... because they could just point at the words.

Again, this is the AVS forum. You guys talk TVs and resolution all the time so it's hard for you to understand the average consumers do not understand this stuff. (You want to talk guitars & instruments with me, now that's a different story)

But really, face it.

When you go to your dad's house, how many of you checked to see if his TV was set at the right resolution, or display setting? Is his cable box set right? Ever find that it's not? Of course. How about his computer screen resolution? 800x600 right? We ALL have. My friend just got a 50' plasma and it wasn't even set to HD. He creamed his shorts when I flipped it over.

Bottom line is, Pioneer (who I would've really THOUGHT to see lead this from being a top brand) Pansonic, LG, Sony, etc. really need to take this into account. To me, they are turning a blind eye to the general to not make it simpler... they make more $$$.

Hell, Look at the BluRay set up in stores now. WOW it looks great, "buy one sir... you have an HDTV?" Yes I do. "Great"

----What he didn't say is, "ok well keep in mind this is a 1080p running at 120hz" is yours 120hz?"

Nah, of course not. But buy the BluRay anyway.

It's irresponsible and for what we are all (even videophiles) shelling out for these things, they ought to be clearer.

Putting a note that the picture in 1080i and 1080p is downscaled in the specs, seems like a necessity since they should be specific in "the specifications"

#471 ·
"Trouble is: I'm not getting any younger, and all of this waiting just results in never getting to enjoy HD in the meantime."

I hear ya. That's what made me do the jump.

I'll sell my 6070 in a year or so. The wife will freak and not know why.

It be the 240hz version or something. lol

#472 ·
I have a feeling that you will reconsider selling when you see how SLOWLY things change; they do change (all the time), but unfortunately not at the speed we would all prefer. This is why I finally jumped in with full knowledge that the KUROs are here. Yes they are, but I'm frankly tired of waiting. I have been waiting for 3 years. This is the way of all technology now; you can always feel buyer's remorse as soon as you make a purchase. In fact, this is what the companies WANT US TO FEEL. Don't allow it. Just pay close attention to what is available on the programming and software side. I can assure you after only a week of having my set, that I can already see that all of this upset is simply ridiculous. The 6070 is a GREAT set; not by absolute standards, but by practical standards. It is by far the best set I have ever owned, and I'm not impressed with the available software right now. I've discovered from reading here on AVS that unless I'm willing to spend over $1000, this television already possesses a better scaler than an Oppo sd player. I have over 600 dvds, and I'm not tossing them. I've discovered that of the 25 or so HD stations that are available to me, THREE are awesome, TWO more are hit and miss, and ALL OF THE OTHERS are mixed at best. I've discovered that not ALL bluray and HD software is created equal, and that MANY titles are almost identical to their dvd counterparts (and they are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive at this time). Finally, I am joining the HD craze three years after my best friend who has a $100,000 theater in his house with McIntosh, B&W, Anthem, etc..., BluRay, HD, LP, (every source imaginable), and he is CONSTANTLY lamenting how uneven, nonstandard, and incomplete the HD situation is (just look at how long HDMI 1.3 has been promised, and it is STILL not ready across the board).

I think you are overwrought, over myopic, and overreacting. Just breathe deeply, realize that you have a GREAT set that the majority of people can only DREAM about getting, and enjoy the great picture. There is ALWAYS something newer and better, but in this case, at this price point, at this time, I do not see it.

And, yes, we are all getting older; life is too short to stay on the sidelines and always crave video perfection. It doesn't exist.

#473 ·
To add to what Active Speakers said...sometimes the benefits of the about to be introduced new sets are overhyped. I don't think the 6010 looks as good as my 6070 that's a year older. I think it was the 2007 Panasonic plasma that didn't look as good as one of the Panasonic 2006 plasmas. You just never know and you have to find out for yourself.

#474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/12635556

pmat,

If you're using a pedistal, you may find that leaving the speaker on gives it a better appearance.

Wall mounting, should be sans speakers.

Back to your question about using the Pioneer speaker as the center channel, very unlikely that it would sonically match your other speakers. With that said, what would it hurt to give it a try. Worst that could happen is that you have to unplug it.

Thank you for your input Jim. Looks like i'll not mount my 6070 with the speaker.

Happy New Year!

#475 ·
I have an old Toshiba 480i SD9000 Cinema Series dvd player with component out only. It was one of the best players of its time. I have it connected to my brand new Pioneer 6070, and it looks great. My question is: Should I upgrade this player? I have read that the Pioneer scaler is superior to the scaler in the Oppos, for instance. The only issue I have ever had with the dvd player is that it won't play a couple of newer disks (2 in the last three years, so this is not really an issue currently). Is it possible to improve my current setup?

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Speaker /forum/post/12646245

I have an old Toshiba 480i SD9000 Cinema Series dvd player with component out only. It was one of the best players of its time. I have it connected to my brand new Pioneer 6070, and it looks great. My question is: Should I upgrade this player? I have read that the Pioneer scaler is superior to the scaler in the Oppos, for instance. The only issue I have ever had with the dvd player is that it won't play a couple of newer disks (2 in the last three years, so this is not really an issue currently). Is it possible to improve my current setup?

i've been looking into this as well. Don't really want to purchase an HD-DVD or BR player just yet. From what I understand, if you can find a DVD player the outputs 480i over HDMI, then the 6070 will do its magic very well. Because of this, I'm looking at the Pioneer DV-400 or the Sony DVP-NS77h (although I haven't found out if the Sony will output 480i over HDMI). Both players can be found for under $100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.