AVS Forum banner

Pioneer 6070HD/PRO1540 Owners Thread !!

63K views 550 replies 122 participants last post by  JimP 
#1 ·
Keep it light , please.

Topics: Technical , settings, pictures, stands, mounts anything related to these awesome sets. Have an issue with your set lets kindly help people out.

Enjoy...

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD929 /forum/post/0

You forgot the word "offical" .. :) ...

But seriously, anyone know how to get into the service menu on 6070 ?

-L

here is how to check your panel time:

(NOTE: don't mess with any settings in the service menu - just use it to check the hour meter)

Start with the plasma turned OFF.

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold).

Wait 3 seconds.

Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER (on the remote).

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed.

Press MUTE (once to go to PANEL FACTS) and press SELECT.

Press DOWN (1 time) to page through each menu (for instance, to see the multiple pages that make up the INFORMATION section).

HR-MTR = the panel time

#4 ·
I used this break-in DVD here: http://www.eaprogramming.com/ to check for dead pixels. While running it, especially on lighter colors like whites and greys, I notice what seems to be a very faint 'tic-tac-toe grid'

in the back bground of the solid colors. It's almost like the manufacturer first puts up this test pattern and has slightly caused some minor burning into the phosphors in random areas on the screen. I noticed this 'grid' most notably on the 6th chapter on this DVD, which is a very white screen color. I tested on both my HD-DVD player and SD DVD player.

Admitedly, it's hard to see under normal viewing, but it's there nonetheless. I think it's a side effect or something in the way this particular plasma glass is manufactured as I don't see anything like this on my 42" Panasonic plasma.

I'm on my second 6071 panel and this very faint 'grid' has been on both units.

One other user here on the forums noticed it while a few others say they haven't. Seems too coincidental for me to get two panels with the same sort of effect.

Just wondering if any other people are seeing this on their 6070's, now that those are hitting the streets.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/0

Just wondering if any other people are seeing this on their 6070's, now that those are hitting the streets.

I don't see it on my TV. I haven't used the break in DVD but I have watched movies with intense white scenes (i.e. day after tomorrow) and I don't see anything. Since I can't see it while watching TV I am also not going to try everything I can to see it, I'm not going to create a special DVD or whatever and keep trying to see if I can produce it. I watch TV, its not there, good enough for me.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris /forum/post/0

I don't have any of the gridding pattern on mine, but I haven't used the break-in disk. I've downloaded the zipped file to my computer, but I'm having all kinds of trouble burning it to a disk. Any suggestions are appreciated.

So your software must be capable of buring the vob files to for a dvd-movie disk. Mine wasn't so I used dvd-shrink to take said vob files into an ISO, and then burned that. Keep in mind that it's not a calibration disk, it's a breakin disk.

-L

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/0

What DVD player are you guys using with your 6070?

I'm using a Zenith DVB-318 (with a 6071) that upconverts over component. I had problems, described in the other thread, with 1080i output and am now using 720p, which apparently the 6071 upconverts to 768p if I understanding the scaling thing correctly. Looks good. I'm still considering an HD-DVD player (Q: G1 now, or wait for G2 in December???) or an Oppo (would want the not-yet-released 971-with-HDMI replacement).

I'm still looking for more comments/opinions on the scaling/converting capabilities of the 6070/71. Anyone?

No grid problem that I can see.

Slight buzzing with no/very-low sound, but can't hear it if I use normal listening volumes.

Edit: P.S. -- I also have a Panasonic RP-56 that apparently tested higher at Secrets than the Zenith, and may try that this weekend with the 6071 to see if I like that combo better than with the 318/6071. Any predictions on which setup will produce better performance?

#12 ·
What PICTURE settings are you guys using.

I know the DYNAMIC setting is pretty hot but the others don't seem to have the pop that Dynamic has (GAME is pretty close though).

For now I have it on DYNAMIC, sound is TRU BASS + SRS with bass boosted to 5 on the mounted speaker. Next purchase will be the Onkyo HT-990 7.1 system to go with this beauty.

Voltage Regulator/Surge Suppressor is a FURMAN AR15II (pro grade.....IMO Monster and all the others are style/look over substance....the Furman is basic but in reviewing all the info, I found it to be the best of all units at a reasonable price.....not the prettiest looking but that's not my concern, the best protection is).

Unit mounted to a CHIEF PLP 2053 Slimline Tilt Mount

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram /forum/post/0

For now I have it on DYNAMIC, sound is TRU BASS + SRS with bass boosted to 5 on the mounted speaker. Next purchase will be the Onkyo HT-990 7.1 system to go with this beauty.

Wow, I don't think I will ever run my set in Dynamic, that is like a TORCH mode. All settings are maxed out (well some of them). Hmm, it would make me scared to death. I think you are suppose to take it out of Dynamic mode for awhile to let the set settle in.

I used D-nice's settings. I loved them, my wife did not. So I went from his settings and adjusted slightly until we were both happy. His settings are a great starting point. I think I changed my color by 2, contrast by a few, and went to save 1 from save 2. Other then that, not much else. I changed each one, i.e. my game settings are completely different because the games I play (i.e. Oblivion) are bright as all get out, so I turn them down even more, turn down the color, etc. and I tweak per game if it gets to bad. My DVD settings are almost the same as regular TV but I think my brightness went up a couple more if I remember right. Not much different from D-nice's settings.

I would reconsider that Dynamic mode. Go to user and play with them. You can also run the Avia calibration. If you don't have that, some movies actually have a THX optimizer that worked pretty well, like Star Wars, etc.

You know, funny thing, I ran the THX optimizer from Finding Nemo, and it came back with the exact settings D-nice had. Guess that goes to show you, that guy knows his stuff.

#14 ·
Guess I should of posted this in here instead of in the sightings.

You know another thing I like about the Pioneer, sure seems to be resistant to IR. I mean, I was playing my 360 and just marveling at the graphics in Oblivion, just amazed at how much better it looked on my set now then before and before I knew it about 2 or 2 1/2 hours passed. I took my game out, scared of IR. Looked at black screens, white screens, etc. nothing! Not a trace of IR, and Oblivion has some seriously bright static images in its health bar. This set is truly amazing. Just can't say enough good things about it.

#15 ·
Here it is a pic of the 6071 with the Artison grilles on, and their rear surrounds Very NICE.

Here you go Steven.

I am using an OPPO 971 upconverting to 720p and I have no problems thru HDMI.

I also am using a direct tv h20 thru hdmi at 720 p and I have no problems there also.

Is there any way to remove the gray background on side by side PIP?

#16 ·

Quote:

Guess I should of posted this in here instead of in the sightings.

You know another thing I like about the Pioneer, sure seems to be resistant to IR. I mean, I was playing my 360 and just marveling at the graphics in Oblivion, just amazed at how much better it looked on my set now then before and before I knew it about 2 or 2 1/2 hours passed. I took my game out, scared of IR. Looked at black screens, white screens, etc. nothing! Not a trace of IR, and Oblivion has some seriously bright static images in its health bar. This set is truly amazing. Just can't say enough good things about it.

Yes the set does get IR, but it's not permanent, nor can you see it except on an all black screen. Case in point, the NFL opener was on last night in HD. After watching the game, I could switch to an empty input, (black screen) and could make out the faint imprint of the NBC and score logo at the bottom. Don't worry, it's not permanent and it 'washes' away with some normal viewing after a few hours.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram /forum/post/0

What PICTURE settings are you guys using.

My current settings (I haven't experimented with these much yet) for SD TV (little guy is watching a new Pokemon movie and I'm not allowed to change inputs right now
) :

Contrast 32

Brightness -2

Color +2

Tint 0

Sharpness -2

PureCinema: ADV

Color Temp: Mid

CTI: Off

DNR: Low

MPEG NR: Low

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/0

I do not see the grid, however I was looking for or visualized a larger grid pattern. I have a replacement coming 9/12 and I will check. Also I think you mentioned it was noticable from your seating position, not close up to the screen.

I do not understand some comments made that looking for this or the buzz is a bad thing. I want to know if there is an issue, or something I belive to be an issue, with my new panel while I can still return it.

#20 ·
After vascillating on size betwen the 50 and 60, I finally decided on the 60! Arrives next week. What color wall mount are you guys using? Silver or Black? I was going to by a Panny 600U where silver was a better match. I assume black for the 6070?

What mounts are being used for this TV. I'm looking at the Peerless SF670 or Omnimount U3F. Do they both fit?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiney /forum/post/0

After vascillating on size betwen the 50 and 60, I finally decided on the 60! Arrives next week. What color wall mount are you guys using? Silver or Black? I was going to by a Panny 600U where silver was a better match. I assume black for the 6070?

What mounts are being used for this TV. I'm looking at the Peerless SF670 or Omnimount U3F. Do they both fit?

I have a silver one , but I don't think it matters one bit its not very visable. I haven't hung my set yet though although my neighbor has and I've never even noticed his mount.

The set has silver back there and it blends right in.....

I agree if your set has an annoying buzzing sound it should go back. I don't think you should be alarmed or annoyed if you hear a slight buzz from 2-3ft away. Mine seems really faint. I can understand if someone had a defective set that was loud.

I watched Underworld last night just amazing color and detail almost like it was the first time. I am using a Sony DVP-NS900v and component FWIW. Eventually I'll go Blu-Ray or HD-DVD when the fog clears.

I can't imagine how much better it gets.....

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiney /forum/post/0

I'm using an Omnimount U3T (tilting mount) for a 6071, and I know that others in here are using the Peerless ST670 (tilting) for the same set, so I'm guessing that the "fixed" mount versions that you're considering would also fit. I agree that in most situations silver/black really doesn't matter much.

#23 ·
I used the Peerless ST670, and for my purposes its perfect. It sits out enough from the wall, that I can actually get my hand back there to plug and unplug cables. As a side benefit, I'm considering bias lighting and I think the mount sits far enough from the wall that I should be able to mount the lights on the plasma back far enough away from the edge to allow a more diffuse halo effect.

#25 ·

Quote:

Wow, I don't think I will ever run my set in Dynamic, that is like a TORCH mode. All settings are maxed out (well some of them). Hmm, it would make me scared to death. I think you are suppose to take it out of Dynamic mode for awhile to let the set settle in.

I used D-nice's settings. I loved them, my wife did not. So I went from his settings and adjusted slightly until we were both happy. His settings are a great starting point. I think I changed my color by 2, contrast by a few, and went to save 1 from save 2. Other then that, not much else. I changed each one, i.e. my game settings are completely different because the games I play (i.e. Oblivion) are bright as all get out, so I turn them down even more, turn down the color, etc. and I tweak per game if it gets to bad. My DVD settings are almost the same as regular TV but I think my brightness went up a couple more if I remember right. Not much different from D-nice's settings.

I would reconsider that Dynamic mode. Go to user and play with them. You can also run the Avia calibration. If you don't have that, some movies actually have a THX optimizer that worked pretty well, like Star Wars, etc.

You know, funny thing, I ran the THX optimizer from Finding Nemo, and it came back with the exact settings D-nice had. Guess that goes to show you, that guy knows his stuff.

After you ran the THX optimizer and D-Nice's settings, what are your actual settings?

My Avia disk is nowhere to be found!!!! On Monday I will go out and pick another up but would like to tweak this thing now.

It's been five years since I have had to tweak a TV.

Personally I love the Dynamic setting on this TV except it is way too red. I know that it isn't good for the display, but I just love that sharp picture that Dynamic gives off.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.