Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 2816 Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

I'd probably try Windex, but that's about it.

I wouldn't use windex and risk damaging the film on the glass!!
You can try cleaner made for flat panels, eyeglass cleaner, or this stuff: https://www.opti-max.net/cart/sql/enter-order3.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2816 Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 AM

hello
has anyone had any success connecting the 940 to your LAN via mediaconnect software? I cant get my 940 to recognize my server?
Dave
post #303 of 2816 Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspvideo View Post

hello
has anyone had any success connecting the 940 to your LAN via mediaconnect software? I cant get my 940 to recognize my server?
Dave

I've successfuly connected the 1140, I'm assuming it's the same... What's the problem you are having? Are you getting any error messages?

I assume you've installed and ran media connect on your windows xp computer and shared out the correct folders. Does the Pio plasma show up as a device on the media connect software?
post #304 of 2816 Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
mfb

Quote:

I've successfuly connected the 1140, I'm assuming it's the same... What's the problem you are having? Are you getting any error messages?

I assume you've installed and ran media connect on your windows xp computer and shared out the correct folders. Does the Pio plasma show up as a device on the media connect software?

I also have my 1140 networked. I initially had problems with media connect on my computer. If you run media player 11, MC is actually imbedded in the player. I didn't know this and if you tried downloading media connect it wouldn't launch.

I have gone back to MP10 and downloaded MC and have no problems.

marty
post #305 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 AM

I have my 1140 networked as well and I am using MP11 with no problems at all.

Well one - I have my 1140 hooked to a Pio 84TXs and the receiver is set up for multi-room functions (I also have a sat and DVD hooked in to the receiver). I can play the HMG through the main room speakers no problem, but not in the sub rooms. I thought it was the 84, but through experimenting I now believe it is the 1140.

I have both a digital out and composite out going from the 1140 to the 84. If I unplug the digital, I lose all sound and my digital sound option in the menu is greyed out and I can not access it at all.

Did I miss something in the setup?

Update - After reading the 1140 manual, I saw a single line that mentions that the MONITOR OUT Connections don't work with Networked audio or video, but only digital connections. Anyone know why that would be?
post #306 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 AM

I am abt to buy a 940 fr BB. I noticed the PQ is soft when compared to the samsung. Is this a problem w/the 940. Also, should i buy the 4yr warrantee for $400. Understand pioneer is the great just concerned re sharpness. Any other problems people have w/this set
thanks paul
post #307 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Save your money on the warranty and buy it on a platinum CC. The Elite has a 2 year warranty, and if you use the right CC, you get another year added protection for free. Reliability on flat panel displays is exceptional, most of the money for that warranty is cash in BB's wallet. The actual cost to warranty the panel is about 10% of the total price...........save your money:

Excerpt from Clarkhoward.com :

Why extended warranties are no good
Did you know that 100 percent of Circuit City's annual profits come from the sale of extended warranties? How about Best Buy? Forty percent comes from extended warranties. That's why salespeople are all over you like a cheap suit when you go to Circuit City or Best Buy. Clark just read a Consumer Reports article on extended warranties that confirmed how useless they are. The only product CR says is worth it is a high end treadmill. The smartest thing you can do is to buy an item on a credit card because some of them automatically double a manufacturer's warranty. That's like getting a free warranty. Business Week got more in detail with extended warranties. The magazine found that if you were to buy a $1,000 RCA digital TV, Circuit City charges $100 for the warranty. Best Buy charges $62. But WalMart charges just $29 for the same warranty. So, it's a huge mark-up. Salespeople receive a huge amount of pressure to sell these things, and you pretty much never should buy one. Appliances, electronics and computers rapidly decrease in value as soon as you take them out of the box. Why would you want to insure that? Plus, the average cost of a warranty is as much as a repair. So stay away from extended warranties at all costs.

Who's your daddy?
post #308 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I recall a post a few pages back asking about XBOX360 PQ.

I have not had a ton of time on my new set (outta town working) but have played Tiger Woods, Oblivion and the kids have done quite a bit.

We are currently using the "game" setting with contrast and brightness down a few notches to ease "my mind" re aging phosphos in the first few hours.

PQ has been simply great. The colors are sharp - detail in the caves of Oblivion are obvious and I am not walking into dark walls...Madden football looks fantastic.

There are no complaints from anyone in the family regarding the brilliant graphics display, motion or quite frankly anything regarding the PQ of the xbox360. This is coming from kids with souped up PC's running their PC games on 1080p monitors and they think the Pioneer is fantastic.(on XBOX360 - we have not yet doen much with PC hookup)

They have stated numerous times over the past 8 days of owning this set - they they PREFER the PQ (they actually said picture) on the Pioneer to all the sets we have had in the house recently (a plethora of 1080p LCD's)....As do I...

So don't know how particular one is regarding gaming PQ - but it has passed with flying colors on the Pioneer in our household.

Therese
post #309 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Not sure abt the warrenty issue.. does it make sense to buy one
post #310 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothman View Post

Not sure abt the warrenty issue.. does it make sense to buy one

As others have pointed out - the elite comes with 2 years. And if you call your CC company you will find many offer either an additional year or will double the mfg warranty. Most of my CCs do. Essentially giving you a 3 year warranty at no cost - most of the CC's will also allow you to extend the warrranty ANYTIME in the 3 years. 2 for the elite plus 1 for the CC.

So I would check with your CC and see if they offer the "free" extended warranty and look into their program. Given the 2 year warranty from elite...it may not make any sense to purchase an extended warranty beyond that - esepcially if you CC will let you extend it in year 3...

Just my .02$

Therese
post #311 of 2816 Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Hve read that the 940's resolution is not true hi def and that it might be better to wait for a 1080p..any thoughts on the future compatibility w/1080p. I understand that a 42 in set at 8 to 10 ft. would have a pretty good pq anyway..is that correct?
post #312 of 2816 Old 10-29-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothman View Post

Hve read that the 940's resolution is not true hi def and that it might be better to wait for a 1080p..any thoughts on the future compatibility w/1080p. I understand that a 42 in set at 8 to 10 ft. would have a pretty good pq anyway..is that correct?

Your statement of 940's resolution not true hi-def doesn't make sense to me. Anything over 480p is considered high def. That usually implies 720p, 1080i, and now 1080p. At 8'-10' on a 42", you would not get the value of 1080p resolution. Even at 50" it wouldn't really be visable. The 940 can take a 1080p input I believe as can the 1140.
post #313 of 2816 Old 10-29-2006, 03:12 PM

I do believe that my 1140's picture is improving as the set breaksin. I have about 95hrs now and the picture seems to be improving particularly in sharpness of the image. To begin with the picture was a little "fuzzy" but has improved alot, may be just me getting use to it but I don't think so. Awesome picture.
post #314 of 2816 Old 10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgshoe View Post

I do believe that my 1140's picture is improving as the set breaksin. I have about 95hrs now and the picture seems to be improving particularly in sharpness of the image. To begin with the picture was a little "fuzzy" but has improved alot, may be just me getting use to it but I don't think so. Awesome picture.

People thought I was crazy when I said the same thing about my 1140. There was nothing I could do to sharpen the picture and I hadn't read any of the calibrators saying they could fix this. Rather than wait until the set lost too much of it's value I sold it and bought another set.
post #315 of 2816 Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your statement of 940's resolution not true hi-def doesn't make sense to me. Anything over 480p is considered high def. That usually implies 720p, 1080i, and now 1080p. At 8'-10' on a 42", you would not get the value of 1080p resolution. Even at 50" it wouldn't really be visable. The 940 can take a 1080p input I believe as can the 1140.

If you ever get the change take a look at the Sony XBR2 showing the hard drive loop in stores. I most certainly can see the resolution (sharpness) in those images at 3 or 30 feet. On the other hand have never seen any images as good as those And I fully realize those wonderful images are certainly the exception. My point being these 1080p displays are capable of more than we are viewing on them. .
post #316 of 2816 Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTV View Post

I have the 1140 for 4 days now. Absolutely stunning display! My only problem is battling HDMI error issues between the display, STB, the Pio 84 receiver, and the HD-A1 player. Currently I am forced to connect the STB directly to the PDP, without receiver (using HDMI). Not sure how much (if at all) the PDP is involved in the errors.

I dont know about the 1140 but i have the 1130 ,a1 and the 84 i am now having any error problem my set up is like this a1 hdmi to 84 hdmi out to 1130 hdmi. you my need to change the setting in the 84 to amp from pass thur.
post #317 of 2816 Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:

thanks, here's my setup- actually don't know if this can be done BUT:
i wish to use my laptop as my media player. Yes ive downloaded windows media connect and configured it- i am going wireless to my router, and then have a network cable from the router to the tv. THe router doesn't recognize the tv (and vise versa) I was told i need a xover cable, so i tried that too, but it doen't seem to work. I have had luck connecting the laptop DIRECTLY to the 940 via cross cable, i got it to recognize the laptop, but then got messages like "server starting" with nothing happening..
what am i missing?
post #318 of 2816 Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

People thought I was crazy when I said the same thing about my 1140. There was nothing I could do to sharpen the picture and I hadn't read any of the calibrators saying they could fix this. Rather than wait until the set lost too much of it's value I sold it and bought another set.

I wouldn't say it's your eyes seeing soft, but there's no way this set is soft. It must be your source or something. Or perhaps you respond better to interlaced signals over progressive ones, seeing as the 1140 is a progressive only display.
post #319 of 2816 Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 AM

For some reason the PS2 horribly underscans it's 16:9 output leaving 1" vertical bars on either side. That's fine, but the real question is why is the panel not responding to "zoom" feature with the PS2. The zoom works fine with my DVD and set top box inputs but I can't seem to zoom the PS2 input?

Perhaps some of the panel's inputs at the back are non zoomable? I jsut don't know.
post #320 of 2816 Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 PM

Hi all,

I just pulled the trigger on a 940HD. I'm so excited! Should be able to pick it up soon!

One question I have is if anyone out there is experiencing the macroblocking issues common to Faroudja-based upscaling DVD players like the Oppo. I still haven't made my decision yet on DVD player. I am lusting after the new Denon 2930CI but my practical side tells me I should just get the Oppo which is nearly as good at a fourth of the cost.

But if macroblocking is showing it's ugly head on our TV, it could make up my mind NOT to get a Faroudja-based player like the Oppo and spring for the Denon instead.

Thanks!
post #321 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 AM

Does Windows media connect work with network drives like the Infrant ReadyNAS?

All my files are sitting on the network drive.

the tv cant see the NAS at all. I have installed windows media connect on a pc in the office which is also connected to the home network. Still i cant see the NAS at all. The tv is configured to obtain ip address automatically.

the pc with the windows media connect is also connected to the home network. i have also enabled all the streaming services on the NAS.

Lastly, i have updated the software on the tv to the latest. still no luck.

i tried using both windows media player 10 ( with windows media coneect 2.0) and the new windows new player 11 beta 2 (with the inbuilt windows media connect functionality). At this point, the wife is getting pissed. spending too much time on this darn thing!

any ideas? Thanks
post #322 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Sounds like you setup something wrong. Did you properly share the NAS drives through the PC that has media connect on it?
post #323 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanadev View Post

Hi all,

I just pulled the trigger on a 940HD. I'm so excited! Should be able to pick it up soon!

One question I have is if anyone out there is experiencing the macroblocking issues common to Faroudja-based upscaling DVD players like the Oppo. I still haven't made my decision yet on DVD player. I am lusting after the new Denon 2930CI but my practical side tells me I should just get the Oppo which is nearly as good at a fourth of the cost.

But if macroblocking is showing it's ugly head on our TV, it could make up my mind NOT to get a Faroudja-based player like the Oppo and spring for the Denon instead.

Thanks!

No macroblocking whatsoever and I have the oppoi 971. Don't waste your cash on the Denon. The Oppo is amazing. To cure ANY macroblocking problem invest in a solid power conditioner with EMI/EFI conditioners. They clean up all macroblocking. Also, don't buy MONSTER as they are overpriced and don't do voltage regulation. I picked up an excellent one for 400 bucks made by APC. And by the way, when the line conditioner is not hooked up, BAM> return of the macroblocking from all sources.
post #324 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas View Post

No macroblocking whatsoever and I have the oppoi 971. Don't waste your cash on the Denon. The Oppo is amazing. To cure ANY macroblocking problem invest in a solid power conditioner with EMI/EFI conditioners. They clean up all macroblocking. Also, don't buy MONSTER as they are overpriced and don't do voltage regulation. I picked up an excellent one for 400 bucks made by APC. And by the way, when the line conditioner is not hooked up, BAM> return of the macroblocking from all sources.

That's actually great information--it should be made a sticky!

I actually have the Monster Signature Series Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter (I can get all Monster products at cost via the company I work for). However, how can I tell if it does EMI/EFI conditioning? It doesn't say anything about it in the manual.

I was also looking into the Oppo 970 because it can do DVD-A and SACD playback, but I heard the video quality is not as good as the 971. That's great to know there is no macroblocking with our sets though with the proper power conditioner, as it really opens up my options!
post #325 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Sounds like you setup something wrong. Did you properly share the NAS drives through the PC that has media connect on it?

I think i did, but do you mind just describing in rough detail how to share the drives? thanks
post #326 of 2816 Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Almost into week 3 with my new 1140 and still thoroughly enjoying it...as is the rest of the family. Just a great display!!

I am approaching my 200 hour break in window and starting to look at playing with the various adjustments. Since the 1140 has SO many of them - I feel like a kid in a candy shop...Hoping those of you more knowledgeable on both the Pioneer and adjustments in general can help out with a few questions...

1.) There are 3 Gamma adjusments: 1, 2 & 3. Currently set at 2 (using D-Nice break in settings). What does 1 & 3 map to? For instance on my Panny - I can set 2.2, 2.8, S-curve etc. What would be a good example of using one over another?

2.)Intelligent Color - It seems counter intuitive to have Intelligent Color On and manually set color temp and settings. The manual states that this feature sets the "optimum color tones"...Does this negate the manual settings? How does it work in conjuntion with them? What does it actually do?

3.)There are various settings under DRE functions. Dynamic contrast, Black Level, ACL, Gamma and DRE. While each in and of itself makes sense - I get black level for instance...How do they interplay with each other? ACL and DRE appear similar to me...What is the difference?

4.)Pure Cinema has standard and ADV. I think I understand these - however there is a note that 1080p/24 signals makes both of these unavailable. In my limited understanding of the sending 1080p/24 - would it not be a good thing to have the convert this to 72 as an even multiple? Why would it be disabled?

Well...I will start with these questions. So as not to have a book This is just a great display with so many features - have not even tried them all.

Thanks for ANy help!!
Therese
post #327 of 2816 Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM

Enjoyed your post and will follow the thread. I used D-Nice's suggestions also. Were his suggestions the result of his trial and error or professional adjustment? Appreciate his helpfulness.
Have had my 1140 for a month and am likewise pleased. Had looked at LCD's and they were my my first choice and they are very good these days. LCD resolution is very, very good. But have never been able to grasp the "blacks" arguments as the differences are too subtle for me to see.
If you have to explain chosing the 1140 over an LCD, then don't waste your breath. There is a "pop" or vibrancy in plasma that is not there in LCD's. However if you can't see that, then it does not matter which you choose.
Anyway, you and I can just enjoy our 1140's. Cheers
post #328 of 2816 Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Great questions Therese ! iIam awaiting delivery of my 1140 in a couple of weeks and am trying to plan my connections, settings, etc. Understand the break-in requirements as outlined by D-Nice. I hope he responds to your questions as I am very interested in the answers as well.
post #329 of 2816 Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM

I just got the 940 and enjoying it so far. One question: do the component inputs accept 1080P? I have a Xbox360 and having a hard time getting the 1080P to work over the component input. MS just released a new update to the 360 to allow it to display 1080P gaming content over component and 1080P gaming/movie upscaling over VGA and I want to know if my pioneer's component inputs will support it.

Thanks!
post #330 of 2816 Old 11-02-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post

1.) There are 3 Gamma adjusments: 1, 2 & 3. Currently set at 2 (using D-Nice break in settings). What does 1 & 3 map to? For instance on my Panny - I can set 2.2, 2.8, S-curve etc. What would be a good example of using one over another?

I don't have the exact numbers on hand, however, Gamma 2 is equivalent to what 2.2 on the Panasonic is suppose to be (2.2 on the Panny actually reads around 1.8-1.9). Gamma 3 would be 2.8 on the Panny.. Gamma 1 would be 1.5 (I think).
Quote:

2.)Intelligent Color - It seems counter intuitive to have Intelligent Color On and manually set color temp and settings. The manual states that this feature sets the "optimum color tones"...Does this negate the manual settings? How does it work in conjuntion with them? What does it actually do?

Intelligent color has no effect on an ISF calibrated picture. It is best used for those who like oversaturated colors. I recommend this feature be left off.
Quote:

3.)There are various settings under DRE functions. Dynamic contrast, Black Level, ACL, Gamma and DRE. While each in and of itself makes sense - I get black level for instance...How do they interplay with each other? ACL and DRE appear similar to me...What is the difference?

Black level darkens blacks on things like score boards and tickers. I have not found it effective on anything else. ACL tends to improve the overall contrast, depending on content of course. However, I have found that it can cause a flicker (almost like the floating black Panny issue) on some content. I recommend you leave it set to off.
Quote:

4.)Pure Cinema has standard and ADV. I think I understand these - however there is a note that 1080p/24 signals makes both of these unavailable. In my limited understanding of the sending 1080p/24 - would it not be a good thing to have the convert this to 72 as an even multiple? Why would it be disabled?

1080p24 is automatically displayed as 3:3 (72Hz) pulldown.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page