Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1651 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Member
 
fhanna36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

I have the same, 1140 and DishHD.
I commented a while back on the same thing except mine looked great for about a month and a half. Went skiing for a week over spring break and came back to what I perceived as an overall lesser quality image on HD TV.. I figured it was the source.
I also have the over the air antenna running through the Dish receiver. I've been planning on running a test between running OTA through the receiver and direct to the 1140.. However, have yet to do so. Right now I can switch directly between OTA and Sat of the same channel through the Dish receiver, - they look identical.

I don't think its the Pio.......

I am getting cable HD installed on thursday to compare and I will post hte results. I've tried an antenna and it looks better so far.
There are less channels on cable but, I want that plasma look, I hope it's not the 1140. I still have 15 days to get my money back and I hope to keep it.
fhanna36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1652 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Member
 
fhanna36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

I have the same, 1140 and DishHD.
I commented a while back on the same thing except mine looked great for about a month and a half. Went skiing for a week over spring break and came back to what I perceived as an overall lesser quality image on HD TV.. I figured it was the source.
I also have the over the air antenna running through the Dish receiver. I've been planning on running a test between running OTA through the receiver and direct to the 1140.. However, have yet to do so. Right now I can switch directly between OTA and Sat of the same channel through the Dish receiver, - they look identical.

I don't think its the Pio.......

I am getting cable HD installed on thursday to compare and I will post the results. I've tried an antenna and it looks better so far.
There are less channels on cable but, I want that plasma look, I hope it's not the 1140. I still have 15 days to get my money back and I hope to keep it.
fhanna36 is offline  
post #1653 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! I've now got 77 hours on my 1140.

Now, is it possible to use the TV Guide with a Comcast HD DVR? I know in the setup menu for the cable box there is a setting for "RF Bypass". I'm not real sure what that does but I'm thinking that it could work for that purpose.

So if anyone knows or has tried this, let me know. If it would work I guess I could use the G-Link cable that came with the plasma and hook it up and set it on top of the Comcast box to do the recording and stuff.
todd1010 is offline  
post #1654 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Member
 
tt18cabrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two weeks into my 1140 and I really love it. Please help me with the "best" way to SEARCH this forum as not to get flamed with repetitive questions.
I have noticed a lip synching problem and it seems to be more on TNT and some other channels....as in it's not "ALL the time". And this is running the 1140's speakers and not when going into the AVR. Any help on where to go to get informed or how to address this will be appreciated.
Also, the short time that commercials come on in 4x3 will not cause problems while the program being viewed is in FULL MODE???? Correct?
tia doug
tt18cabrio is offline  
post #1655 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading thru all of this thread and still haven't got all of it finished. But my question is regarding the extended warranty at time of purchase. I did purchase the warranty and since reading the post here I've concluded that I'd like to return the warranty.

Has anyone bought the warranty, then decided that it wasn't needed and got your money back? I just bought my 1140 last Thursday so I haven't had it very long at all.
todd1010 is offline  
post #1656 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone pm me with current best price for the 1140?

thx

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #1657 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt18cabrio View Post

Two weeks into my 1140 and I really love it. Please help me with the "best" way to SEARCH this forum as not to get flamed with repetitive questions.
I have noticed a lip synching problem and it seems to be more on TNT and some other channels....as in it's not "ALL the time". And this is running the 1140's speakers and not when going into the AVR. Any help on where to go to get informed or how to address this will be appreciated.
Also, the short time that commercials come on in 4x3 will not cause problems while the program being viewed is in FULL MODE???? Correct?
tia doug

Back a page or so in this thread, Jeff gave a very nice summary of how to search the forum/threads.... Post #1641. It's about 10-15 posts back.

Not sure about you audio sync problems, but I am sure someone will have an answer for that

As for 4:3 on commercials, etc... as you get more hours on your panel (>200) this will not be an issue at all. During the first 200, it probably won't be an issue, but FWIW... I always viewed all content filling the entire panel. So, perhaps I was a little anal, but I would grab the remote & switch mode to wide on all 4:3 content. That may be a little over the top, but I tried to be VERY careful during the first 200 hours. Logo's are the big concern, as they stay there longer than a couple of 30 second commercials... AVOID LOGO'S LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1658 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhanna36 View Post

I am getting cable HD installed on thursday to compare and I will post the results. I've tried an antenna and it looks better so far.
There are less channels on cable but, I want that plasma look, I hope it's not the 1140. I still have 15 days to get my money back and I hope to keep it.

Since you are running short on the return period, I suggest you get a DVD source and compare that, too.

In any case, it is worth a call to your dealer, to note the issue, and perhaps set the ground work up, in case you need to have it replaced. They may want to send a tech out and do an in home check out.... which should be covered by the warranty... or at least by good will by the dealer.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1659 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Looking for some slight guidance on a purchase I intend on making. I am stuck between either the 940HD or go the LCD route with the Sammy LN-T4065F. Both have their pros and cons, and I intend to use the set for lots of HD sports, movies, and gaming. With all the myths and rumors on burn-in, would 5 hours of Halo 2 or something similar be something I should avoid doing on a calibrated 940HD? Also, in terms of overall PQ, am I going to notice a difference due to the fact that the 940HD does not have enough pixels to show a full 720p signal and the LN-T6065F has enough pixels to show 1080p content? Any other opinions would be great.

If sports, or anything with fast motion, is something that you will be watching a lot... and PQ during that viewing is important to you - forget about LCD. Even the best of the best LCD's have motion blur during fast action scenes. I find that intolerable. some may not.

As for pixel resolution, I'll defer to others, however, IMHO... it is not significant enough to warrant concern. Bottom line is, the PQ will always be better on a plasma... I'll even venture to go out on a limb, and say that for a 42" display, depending on how far you are sitting from the panel... the 940, at 720p will "look better" than the LCD, at 1080p.

As for gaming... once you get past the break in period on the plasma, you should be fine. You just have to be careful during the first 200+ hours. Don't risk IR. I'm sure you can wait until you have passed the break in period to do serious (read: long time) gaming, right???

Last, again IMHO the 940 is leaps and bounds a better choice than the LN-T4065F. At least that was the conclusion I came to, right before I bought my 940

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1660 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Newbie
 
(re)Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edschin View Post

Just got my 1540. Looks great. I'm a real novice so here's my first basic question. What's the difference between Pure Full and Pure Wide?

Ed

After having my 1140 for three days I think I know the difference.

Full seems to be a linear stretch to fill the screen

Wide is a progressive strech from the center. Most noticeable if you see a text crawl horizontally. The letter spacing will be wider at the edges of the screen and correct near the center.

To all: feel free to correct me if I'm off on this.

(re)Pete
(re)Pete is offline  
post #1661 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt18cabrio View Post

Two weeks into my 1140 and I really love it. Please help me with the "best" way to SEARCH this forum as not to get flamed with repetitive questions.
I have noticed a lip synching problem and it seems to be more on TNT and some other channels....as in it's not "ALL the time". And this is running the 1140's speakers and not when going into the AVR. Any help on where to go to get informed or how to address this will be appreciated.
Also, the short time that commercials come on in 4x3 will not cause problems while the program being viewed is in FULL MODE???? Correct?
tia doug

The lip sync issue must be with the source equipment or station since it is through your tv speakers. I don't really think there is a way to fix that.

Viewing 4:3 for a short time should not cause much and maybe no IR. If you view 4:3 material for an extended period of time you may get some IR, but it can easily go away.

Here is some help for your searches:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10206026
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #1662 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by (re)Pete View Post

After having my 1140 for three days I think I know the difference.

Full seems to be a linear stretch to fill the screen

Wide is a progressive strech from the center. Most noticeable if you see a text crawl horizontally. The letter spacing will be wider at the edges of the screen and correct near the center.

To all: feel free to correct me if I'm off on this.

(re)Pete

Actually (re)Pete, FULL doesn't stretch the picture, BUT if you have your Auto Size feature turned ON and 4:3 mode set to WIDE, the set will automatically stretch the picture to WIDE - even if you have your tv set to FULL.
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #1663 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In regards to the TNT lip synch issue: It is the same here on cox in vegas. So I can naturaly assume it is TNT trying to send the signal in a "cheap" way. While I am on the subject, be aware that sometimes tnt will show a movie and claim its HD, when in fact its only stretched on the ends. Its just like a fun house mirror.

I have had my 1140 since Monday. WOW..hahahhaha. Here is a currious thing. I am using SA 3250 and component 'in'. Yesterday I spit the cable and ran a line into the cable ant in. There was a difference in PQ from direct cable in as opposed to going through the box. Yes, all my settings (per D-Nice suggestions) were the same.
Can each imput have its own settings? That is to say, if I set something using "USER" for the STB, can I set something different for the direct cable/ant. 'IN"? Or, do all settings for user go across the board?

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1664 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally Posted by itigap
Actually that is exactly what I mean. Plasma functions by igniting a plasma which when it explodes gives off ultraviolet radiation. This radiation is absorbed by the phosphors painted on the walls of the cells that make up the subpixels. Once absorbed, the phosphors fluoresce giving off their primary color in the visible spectrum. The persistence of this florescence is very short so the discharge needs to take place at a rate of hundreds of times per second.

Cheers,

Gary

Well, not exaclty.
Check this out...

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/howplasmaworks.html

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1665 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred33 View Post

Yesterday I spit the cable and ran a line into the cable ant in. There was a difference in PQ from direct cable in as opposed to going through the box. Yes, all my settings (per D-Nice suggestions) were the same.

So which did you determine was better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred33 View Post

Can each imput have its own settings? That is to say, if I set something using "USER" for the STB, can I set something different for the direct cable/ant. 'IN"? Or, do all settings for user go across the board?

USER is the only A/V Selection that can be adjusted individually for each input. The others apply to ALL inputs.
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #1666 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

So which did you determine was better?
It seems that the PQ from the STB was better.
USER is the only A/V Selection that can be adjusted individually for each input. The others apply to ALL inputs.

PQ from the STB was better. However I do think this could change with some adjustments.

When I first viewed programs on ANT/Cable, I had it on the User setting. It was the setting I chaged using the STB to D-Nice's setting.

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1667 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got my cable running directly into the ANT A input but even after I've done the channel search I cannot find any channels to view?

And what's up with the 123.000 channel selection? I don't get that at all.

I'm trying to compare regular cable to ones that are going to the Comcast HD DVR box and out to my plasma via component.
todd1010 is offline  
post #1668 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I've got my cable running directly into the ANT A input but even after I've done the channel search I cannot find any channels to view?

And what's up with the 123.000 channel selection? I don't get that at all.

I'm trying to compare regular cable to ones that are going to the Comcast HD DVR box and out to my plasma via component.

I had this problem when configuring my set up initially. Pio tech support told me that apparently I did a search with nothing connected, and as such nothing was available to select. They told me to turn power off, unplug the panel. Wait about a minute, then plug it back in, and turn it on. In the process, I noticed that the cable from the splitter to ANT A was not connected at the splitter, so I *did* do the search without any signal. I guess when you do something like that, the only way to "reset" it is to unplug the panel. Seemed strange, but it solved my problem.

After connecting the cable and unplugging/plugging the panel, I went back and followed the tuner setup process starting on page 37 of the manual, and everything worked just fine.

Are you sure you have a signal coming out of your cable?

The .XXX are for sub-channels that your cable company may broadcast on. Comcast (my cable) does not use them. so all my channels are .000.

Last, if possible, us HDMI from the DVR to INPUT 5 on the panel, rather than sending the signals via component. I obtained a MUCH better picture doing that.

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1669 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is happy to report that I set up the 'GUIDE' part of my 1140 with no problems at all

There is one odd thing though...I had the same type of set up (Ant A direct from cable and Component via STB) on my sony xbr. On the sony there were a few signals that did come through in high deff via ANT A. Withe the pioneer, all the signals seem to be 480i via ANT A.

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1670 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
russwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally decided to update the first post in this thread and instead of my very first question regarding the 1140HD, I've put a general overview and faq for this series. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I felt it useful to at least put some information, as we seem to be getting a lot of the same questions.

Russ
russwong is offline  
post #1671 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I had this problem when configuring my set up initially. Pio tech support told me that apparently I did a search with nothing connected, and as such nothing was available to select. They told me to turn power off, unplug the panel. Wait about a minute, then plug it back in, and turn it on. In the process, I noticed that the cable from the splitter to ANT A was not connected at the splitter, so I *did* do the search without any signal. I guess when you do something like that, the only way to "reset" it is to unplug the panel. Seemed strange, but it solved my problem.

After connecting the cable and unplugging/plugging the panel, I went back and followed the tuner setup process starting on page 37 of the manual, and everything worked just fine.

Are you sure you have a signal coming out of your cable?

The .XXX are for sub-channels that your cable company may broadcast on. Comcast (my cable) does not use them. so all my channels are .000.

Last, if possible, us HDMI from the DVR to INPUT 5 on the panel, rather than sending the signals via component. I obtained a MUCH better picture doing that.

-steve


I got it working but I haven't got the TV Guide to work yet. I just wanted to see if you could view the Comcast box thru the component video input and have the built in TV Guide do all of the guide information instead of the Comcast box.

Another thing you mentioned is using a HDMI cable. So your saying that you notice a overall better picture using HDMI? I was told that it be about the same if any difference at all. Plus, right now I'm using my Elite 53TX receiver for all of the video switching and it doens't have HDMI. I'm planning on getting the 84TXSi very, very soon which does have HDMI switching.
todd1010 is offline  
post #1672 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

I finally decided to update the first post in this thread and instead of my very first question regarding the 1140HD, I've put a general overview and faq for this series. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I felt it useful to at least put some information, as we seem to be getting a lot of the same questions.

Russ

Thanks Russ.
Before this TV (1140) I had a sony xbr960. When all of those post about questions got too big, one of the informed individuals took all the information and compiled it into a long sticky with links to the original questions. I bet that it took a long time but it was so useful.

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1673 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I got it working but I haven't got the TV Guide to work yet. I just wanted to see if you could view the Comcast box thru the component video input and have the built in TV Guide do all of the guide information instead of the Comcast box.

Another thing you mentioned is using a HDMI cable. So your saying that you notice a overall better picture using HDMI? I was told that it be about the same if any difference at all. Plus, right now I'm using my Elite 53TX receiver for all of the video switching and it doens't have HDMI. I'm planning on getting the 84TXSi very, very soon which does have HDMI switching.

I dont know if this will help but there might be simularities. I have cox and the SA STB 3250 imputed via comonent. The box controlls the guide I see. When I split the cable and connected to the ANT A, then I gained usage of the built in TV guide.

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1674 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

I got it working but I haven't got the TV Guide to work yet. I just wanted to see if you could view the Comcast box thru the component video input and have the built in TV Guide do all of the guide information instead of the Comcast box.

Another thing you mentioned is using a HDMI cable. So your saying that you notice a overall better picture using HDMI? I was told that it be about the same if any difference at all. Plus, right now I'm using my Elite 53TX receiver for all of the video switching and it doens't have HDMI. I'm planning on getting the 84TXSi very, very soon which does have HDMI switching.

Glad to hear you got the channel set up completed. What was it that went wrong the 1st time?

You can use the TVG feature, regardless of how you connect the STB. Once you get it set up, any time you press the TVG button, the guide will come up (as it is being fed from ANT A input.) You can scroll through the listings and see all the information. If, however, you select one of the listings to view that programming, the input switches from whatever source you are watching, and the signal comes in via the ANT A input. For example: if you are viewing programming on say, channel 6 using HDMI from the STB to Input 5 (or component from the STB to Input 1 or 2), and you press the TVG button, the guide will come up on the panel (it is being fed from ANT A). If you scroll down and decide to watch programming on channel 10, and select it from the TVG grid... the programming will come to the panel via ANT A, and be channel 10. Make sense? If you just want to use the TVG as, well... a "guide" to what's available - then when you're done looking at the grids, just press the TVG button again & you'll go back to what you were viewing.

As for PQ differences between component and HDMI... well, this is one area where you might get a variety of opinions. Ultimately, whichever one looks best to you is correct. For me, I had a significant improvement in PQ using HDMI vs. component from the STB. The DVD player, OTOH, was pretty much the same. I chose HDMI there since I wanted the Oppo to deliver native resolution to the panel over HDMI in digital format, and let the panel scale it.

The other quirk with HMDI using AVR's are the issues around copy protection. Some STB firmware doesn't allow connection pass through via an AVR. It requires the destination to be a "viewing source". When you try to do switching with the AVR, it gives an error warning. Search the forum for more details on this problem. You may/may not have that issue. But, it does exist in some STB's.

For me, that is not an issue. I really don't see the benefit (other than simplified remote management, and fewer key presses). I just run HDMI from my STB direct to the panel Input 5. then, run HDMI from the DVD to panel Input 6. Optical audio from both goes to the AVR. Is that perfect for everyone? Prolly not. But it works for me. And it gives me the option of using the panel speakers if I don't want to fire up the AVR system, for things like news, etc. where sound really doesn't matter much. YMMV

And, as I look to upgrade my AVR, I can eliminate the ones with the HDMI pass through/switching, and spend the money on better audio processing. To me, that is more important than HDMI connectivity via the AVR.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have equally good suggestions.

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1675 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevec325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

I finally decided to update the first post in this thread and instead of my very first question regarding the 1140HD, I've put a general overview and faq for this series. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I felt it useful to at least put some information, as we seem to be getting a lot of the same questions.

Russ

Way cool, Russ. Thanks. Great reference point, and I picked up some tid-bit's of information that I didn't know. The links are great portals.

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
stevec325 is offline  
post #1676 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
itigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC area
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred33 View Post

Originally Posted by itigap
Actually that is exactly what I mean. Plasma functions by igniting a plasma which when it explodes gives off ultraviolet radiation. This radiation is absorbed by the phosphors painted on the walls of the cells that make up the subpixels. Once absorbed, the phosphors fluoresce giving off their primary color in the visible spectrum. The persistence of this florescence is very short so the discharge needs to take place at a rate of hundreds of times per second.

Cheers,

Gary

Well, not exaclty.
Check this out...

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/howplasmaworks.html

Thanks for the additional detail information. The diagrams were great.

Cheers,

Gary
itigap is offline  
post #1677 of 2816 Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Member
 
fred33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here comes a loaded question. (Can you tell by all my post I am a new 1140 owner? DUH! haha)
Has anyone posted, in laymans terms, the signifcance of the user settings and what each one will do or will not do?

Las Vegas
fred33 is offline  
post #1678 of 2816 Old 04-05-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred33 View Post

Has anyone posted, in laymans terms, the signifcance of the user settings and what each one will do or will not do?

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Can you rephrase or further explain your question? Significance of what user settings?
Kr8z1 is offline  
post #1679 of 2816 Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
sfrisby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering the Pro-1540 or the Samsung S6373. As I would expect this group to be pro pro-1540, I was interested in why I should go with one over the other.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sfrisby
sfrisby is offline  
post #1680 of 2816 Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kr8z1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dutchtown, LA
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

I decided to make this first post more about the models vs what was originally my very first question about the 1140HD when I started this thread. So here's some information that has been asked over and over, so I thought I would gather them up a little. I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

Useful information regarding the 1540/1140/940HD Elite line of Pioneer Plasmas:

PRO-1540HD - 60" - Dimensions - 57-7/8" x 34-5/8" x 4-5/8" - Without Detachable Side Speakers, 113lbs 3oz
PRO-1140HD - 50" - Dimensions - 48-3/16 x 28-1/4 x 4-1/2 - Without Detachable Side Speakers, 75lbs 10oz
PRO-940HD - 42" - Dimensions - 40-15/16 x 26-3/4 x 4-1/2 Speakers are NOT Detachable and is attached to the bottom, 69lbs 7oz

Native Resolution PRO-1540/1140 - 1365x768 for the PRO-940 - 1024x768

1080p/24hz on HDMI only

Elite Catalog
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...log/index.html

PRO-1540HD Product Brochure - Quick Specs
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...PRO-1540HD.pdf
PRO-1140HD
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...PRO-1140HD.pdf
PRO-940HD
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...2PRO-940HD.pdf

Owners Manual 940/1140/1540
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

What does the Elite have over the non-elites? (See page 11/12 of the Elite catalog)
*2 year warranty instead of 1
*New Exclusive First-Surface PRO Color Filter (consumer includes "pure" color filter)
*Intelligent Color Enhancement adjusts picture for realistic depiction of hues and detail such as skin tones
*New Selectable Color Zone Mapping based on NTSC or EBU standards
*New Block Noise Reduction - for improved clarity of fast moving objects on screen
*Active DRE (Dynamic Range Expander) detail settings for adjusting dynamic contrast, black level, ACL (Automatic Contrast Limiter) and Gamma
*New Intelligent DRE (Dynamic Range Expander) works in tandem with Active DRE settings to further optimize picture for the best image quality possible (on/off)
*Home Media Gallery - IP Network compatibility - DLNA, Microsoft PlayForSure
- File formats for Video - WMV9, MPEG1, MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG-ASP
- Audio - LPCM, MP3, WMA, WMA9 PRO, AC3, AAC, WAV
- Photo - JPG, TIFF, PNG, BMP, GIF
*ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for day and nighttime viewing. Includes new independent RGB Gamma Control.
*Pure AV Mode - (Standard, Dynamic, Movie, Game, Pure, User) Same setting for all inputs
*Side mounted speakers instead of bottom mounted speakers for the 1540 and 1140

How to get into the service menu to see #hours?
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Then use the down arrow to page through to page 5
PANEL = the time the set has been on
MTB = the time the set has been plugged in

When you finish press the HOME MENU button

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANY SETTINGS! JUST LOOK!

Other pieces of information:
- VGA input does not have the same tweakable settings as the other inputs, but can do 1360x768 resolution, but at a sacrifice of picture quality.
- HDMI - can NOT take native resolution (1360x768)
- D-Nice's recommended settings http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8564316
- If you have the dreaded blinking blue power light, try zero'ing out the zipcode for the TV Guide setup.
- Firmware available on Pioneer's site to upgrade the Home Media Gallery Software - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

Thanks to everyone who's provided information, including D-Nice and Kr8z1. If you think there's something important that should be on the first post, let me know.

Bravo, bravo, bravo my friend! This is excellent! Thanks for putting it all together!

Everyone interested in the Elite should read through the first post to see what a great job Russ did compiling this info - we can now direct people to the very first post which covers a majority of the questions that come up here.

Russ - I'll pm you a couple of suggestions

Thanks again!
Jeff
Kr8z1 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off