Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2816 Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to make this first post more about the models vs what was originally my very first question about the 1140HD when I started this thread. So here's some information that has been asked over and over, so I thought I would gather them up a little. I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

Useful information regarding the 1540/1140/940HD Elite line of Pioneer Plasmas:

PRO-1540HD
60" - Dimensions - 57-7/8" x 34-5/8" x 4-5/8" - Without Detachable Side Speakers, 113lbs 3oz
Carton Dimensions - 61 ¾ x 39 ¼ x 16 ½
PRO-1140HD
50" - Dimensions - 48-3/16 x 28-1/4 x 4-1/2 - Without Detachable Side Speakers, 75lbs 10oz
Carton - 52 ¾ x 33 ¾ x 14 ¼
PRO-940HD
42" - Dimensions - 40-15/16 x 26-3/4 x 4-1/2 Speakers are NOT Detachable and is attached to the bottom, 69lbs 7oz
Carton - 46 ¼ x 33 ¾ x 14 ¾

- Do not lay flat for transportation. you may lay flat if you are not moving (ie stand installation)

Native Resolutions
PRO-1540/1140 - 1365x768
PRO-940 - 1024x768

1080p/24hz on HDMI only

Elite Catalog
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...log/index.html

PRO-1540HD Product Brochure - Quick Specs
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...PRO-1540HD.pdf
PRO-1140HD
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...PRO-1140HD.pdf
PRO-940HD
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...2PRO-940HD.pdf

Owners Manual 940/1140/1540
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

Elite Warranty Info
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...538HEelite.pdf

What does the Elite have over the non-elites? (See page 11/12 of the Elite catalog)
*2 year warranty instead of 1
*New Exclusive First-Surface PRO Color Filter (consumer includes "pure" color filter)
*Intelligent Color Enhancement adjusts picture for realistic depiction of hues and detail such as skin tones
*New Selectable Color Zone Mapping based on NTSC or EBU standards
*New Block Noise Reduction - for improved clarity of fast moving objects on screen
*Active DRE (Dynamic Range Expander) detail settings for adjusting dynamic contrast, black level, ACL (Automatic Contrast Limiter) and Gamma
*New Intelligent DRE (Dynamic Range Expander) works in tandem with Active DRE settings to further optimize picture for the best image quality possible (on/off)
*Home Media Gallery - IP Network compatibility - DLNA, Microsoft PlayForSure
- File formats for Video - WMV9, MPEG1, MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG-ASP
- Audio - LPCM, MP3, WMA, WMA9 PRO, AC3, AAC, WAV
- Photo - JPG, TIFF, PNG, BMP, GIF
*ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for day and nighttime viewing. Includes new independent RGB Gamma Control.
*Pure AV Mode - (Standard, Dynamic, Movie, Game, Pure, User) Same setting for all inputs with the exception of User, which can be adjusted for each input.
*LOCKED Day/Night Mode - available after doing ISF ccc Calibration. (Some calibrators do not recommend this method.)
*Side mounted speakers instead of bottom mounted speakers for the 1540 and 1140

Other pieces of information:
- VGA input does not have the same tweakable settings as the other inputs, but can do 1360x768 resolution, but at a sacrifice of picture quality.
- HDMI - can NOT take native resolution (1360x768) BUT try setting the refresh rate to 24hz and you will trick the set into thinking it's a 1080p resolution and may be very close to native resolution via HDMI.
- Yes, you can connect a PC to the HDMI inputs, even though the instructions say not to.
- D-Nice's recommended settings http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8564316
- If you have the dreaded blinking blue power light, try zero'ing out the zipcode for the TV Guide setup. See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9098694
- Firmware available on Pioneer's site to upgrade the Home Media Gallery Software - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
- CableCard ready
- ANT A input includes QAM/ATSC/NTSC tuners
- ANT B input includes a NTSC tuner
- Some success for Apple/MAC users and Eyeconnect software from Elgato Systems for Home Media Gallery functionality.

Home Electronics Custom Install files (click on the category of file you are looking for)
IR Codes
RS-232 Codes
Pronto Files
Universal Remote Control Files
Detailed Product Information

Different Stretch Modes (taken from John F. Palacio in another thread)
Full = Linear stretch to 16:9 This is what you want with anamorphic DVD's. No cropping.
Wide = Non-linear stretching Center of picture is left relatively normal while the sides are stretched. No cropping
Cinema = Linear stretch (like "Full") but with added vertical stretch and cropping. This provides a less stretched look at the sacrifice of loosing material at top and bottom.
Zoom = Just like "Cinema" but with more vertical stretching and cropping.

How to get into the service menu to see #hours?
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Then use the down arrow to page through to page 5
PANEL = the time the set has been on
MTB = the time the set has been plugged in

When you finish press the HOME MENU button

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANY SETTINGS! JUST LOOK!

To change the Side Mask to Black:

Enter the Service Menu
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Press MUTE 3 times until the INITIALIZE screen is displayed
Press DOWN 3 times until SIDE MASK LEVEL (+) is displayed
Press ENTER

Set:
R MASK LEVEL <=> 0
G MASK LEVEL <=> 0
B MASK LEVEL <=> 0

Press HOME MENU to exit

Factory Reset Procedure

1 With tv off/in standby....press home menu.
2 Within 3 sec turn tv on , Integrated Menu will appear.
3 Hold Display button until Final Setup appears in the top menu.
4 Arrow left or right until yes appears in lower menu.
5 Hold enter until menu disappears.
6 Wait 1 min.
7 Power tv off and unplug from the wall for 5 or more min.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Thanks to everyone who's provided information, including D-Nice, Kr8z1, todd1010. If you think there's something important that should be on the first post, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2816 Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Hey, Russ. Looks like I'll be joining you soon. Did final tests today against XBR. See the PQ king thred.
post #3 of 2816 Old 09-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Russ,
I don't use an HTPC so please ignore this post if it's useless to you but I send all signals to my 940HD at 1080i from my HR10-250. The scaler/deinterlacer in the Pio is excellent, and this seems to give me the best results. The 'picture' certainly seems better than when I tried 720p. My experience corresponds to many others who have owned the 6th, (and now 7th?), generation Pioneers. Have you tired sending 1080i from the NVidia card?
Bish
post #4 of 2816 Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know, you're the 2nd person who has mentioned this. Perhaps that's some information we should gather as to what produces a better picture....

I'm using a moto 6200 for my cable box, xbox360, and HTPC.

Right now I have everything set to output as 720p.

Are you guys getting a better picture by providing a 1080i signal instead of 720p for all your inputs?

I'm thinking about an upscaling DVD player as well, if my HTPC isn't going to remain in the same room, so what's the general consenus on what to feed these TVs to get the best picture?

I'll do some testing of my own and provide feedback as well.

Russ
post #5 of 2816 Old 09-09-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Getting close to my 100 hours break in period and will be looking into ISF calibration, but would love to hear what settings you guys are using. I'm using some of D-Nice's break in settings from the other threads, but curious if anyone has made any improvements...
post #6 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Russ,
The first step in setting video settings is to turn the set to Pure mode in the Picture settings. Use D-Nice's basic Pioneer settings from that starting point. Eventually someone will post a more more extensive listing of starting video settings.
Bish

PS: I strongly recommend feeding the set a strict diet of 1080i regardless of the source
post #7 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 02:51 PM

O.k. I thought I'd ask the experts here. Have a ~2.5 year old 50" Sony xbr950 plasma panel in the living room and just purchased the new 50" pioneer elite pro-1140HD for the bedroom. My inital thought was my new pioneer would blow away my originally $12k xbr, just because of plasma advancement over the last couple years. However, this is NOT the case. In fact, the xbr's images are a little more "natural" at this point. There is significantly less stair-stepping jagged artifacts near edges and less motion artifacts on the xbr. Colors and blacks are close, giving a slight advantage to the elite. Again, the artifacting and pixelation on the elite near edges and fast scenes is driving me nuts. Will this go away with break in, or does it have to do with the cable source.(Have the xbr connected to a Sci At HDDVR box via DVI, and the elite via Sci At cablecard, both via time warner) Or, does the sony just have better processing??? I have the elite set with the recommended ISF settings from the 4070?? from plasmabuyingguidecom. The xbr is old school NEC glass, weheras the elite I'm guessing is some sort of xbr/nec hybrid.

(Unrelated, but FYI, build quality on the xbr is also considerably better than the elite. Just the remote and the plasma bezel scream qaulity on the xbr, although the elite is no slouch either.)
post #8 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What video mode are you using? From what I understand, you should use Pure. I'm still messing with settings, but early in the burn-in stage, I think I have about 70 hours now...

Side note: Am switching everything to 1080i... any particular reason for that recommendation? I thought you wanted to give the plasma it's native resolution....
post #9 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM

set on user defined. also, meant pioneer/nex hybrid glass on the new elite.
post #10 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam771 View Post

set on user defined. also, meant pioneer/nex hybrid glass on the new elite.

Try using Pure, that's what I'm using and it's looking pretty good.
post #11 of 2816 Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How can I convert .tp files to MPEG2-TS, because the Home Media Gallery function can not stream .tp files.

Russ
post #12 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where are the other owners?

I watched ESPNHD and I thought the picture was great! But I did notice that far away shots weren't as crisp. I'm thinking it's the camera's or comcast or something, because the field level shots were awesome.

I was playing around with the Home Gallery menu's and there is a menu option to update the software version of the home gallery stuff, so that seems pretty cool Allows the TV to stay up to date. I wonder if there are any upgardes.

Russ
post #13 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

Where are the other owners?

I watched ESPNHD and I thought the picture was great! But I did notice that far away shots weren't as crisp. I'm thinking it's the camera's or comcast or something, because the field level shots were awesome.

I was playing around with the Home Gallery menu's and there is a menu option to update the software version of the home gallery stuff, so that seems pretty cool Allows the TV to stay up to date. I wonder if there are any upgardes.

Russ

Register the panel on-line and apparently Pioneer will send an email when new firmware is available.
Bish
post #14 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 04:58 PM

Well, I've been waiting a long time to say this, but I am now the new owner of a 1140. Should be delivered by the end of this week.

1st question, does anyone know if the media extender that is buikt into this TV supports mac? Not a huge deal if it doesn't as my PS3 would be taking over those duties anyway. Time to read up about break in settings.
post #15 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome, I will need to register. Has anyone gotten an update already for the media function? I'll check what my current version is and ship date of my plasma, perhaps others can post theirs as well.

essogas: Welcome! Regarding MAC, I assume if MAC supports the DLNA function, it should work, but honestly I don't know. Try checking here www.dlna.org and let us know if the 1140 can connect to MACs, I'm sure it would be a good thing to add to a FAQ or something.
post #16 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM

I have the 1140 for 4 days now. Absolutely stunning display! My only problem is battling HDMI error issues between the display, STB, the Pio 84 receiver, and the HD-A1 player. Currently I am forced to connect the STB directly to the PDP, without receiver (using HDMI). Not sure how much (if at all) the PDP is involved in the errors.
post #17 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Can anyone answer a few questions about the Elites for me?

- What exactly is pure mode? is it some kind of stretch mode for 4:3?

- I've been told that the 427X series has a screen saver to put in place of the black bars for 4:3 content. This picture is a zoomed in greyscale of the current picture to help keep phosphor wear even. Do the Elites have this feature? I can't find anything on it in the manual.

Thanks!
post #18 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pure mode is a video mode, like Vivid/dynamic, standard, user, etc, not a screen size view.

Don't know anything about the 427X, you might want to try the other thread. This is for the 1140/940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKnight View Post

Can anyone answer a few questions about the Elites for me?

- What exactly is pure mode? is it some kind of stretch mode for 4:3?

- I've been told that the 427X series has a screen saver to put in place of the black bars for 4:3 content. This picture is a zoomed in greyscale of the current picture to help keep phosphor wear even. Do the Elites have this feature? I can't find anything on it in the manual.

Thanks!

post #19 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTV View Post

I have the 1140 for 4 days now. Absolutely stunning display! My only problem is battling HDMI error issues between the display, STB, the Pio 84 receiver, and the HD-A1 player. Currently I am forced to connect the STB directly to the PDP, without receiver (using HDMI). Not sure how much (if at all) the PDP is involved in the errors.

My only HDMI issue has been when I switch the HDMI input on the MOTO6200, the screen doesn't seemed synched up sometimes (certain stations it seems), so I just change the channel and change it back and it snaps back fine.
post #20 of 2816 Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bishman recommends feeding the set 1080i, but I did some test and wanted to see if anyone noticed this.

When fed 1080i from the MOTO6200 box, and watching ESPNHD, I noticed issues with scrolling text that scrolled from right to left on the bottom. I'm not sure what the correct term is for what I saw, but basically it looked liked the text was sliced up and moving across.

When swiched to 720p, I noticed this issue much less. Not sure if it's a setting on my TV or if it's something about my eyes, or if it's a 1080i/720p thing...

Anyone else want to try and notice this and let me know?

Russ
post #21 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKnight View Post

Don't know anything about the 427X, you might want to try the other thread. This is for the 1140/940.

Thanks for the Pure Mode info.

My other question was about the 940 (which I am comparing to the 427X). I know the 427X has a 4:3 side bar screen saver feature that isn't mentioned in the manual. I was curious if the 940 has this same feature.

I watch a lot of 4:3 and I won't stretch the image, I don't like it and the WAF has stretching as a big no no

So this feature may be a make or break deal for the 940 over the 4270 as I want to avoid IR/Burn in issues and uneven phosphor wear from the side bars as much as possible.

Thanks.
post #22 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll need to double check, but I assume the 940 and 1140 function the same in the 4:3 mode. If so, if I recall, there are gray bars in this view for the 1140.
post #23 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I have an HTPC with an Nvidia 6600GT AGP that is connected via DVI to HDMI. I've used different version of the Nvidia drivers and when trying to set the resolution to 1360x768 (close to the tv's native resolution), the TV thinks it's getting a 1080i signal instead of a 720p signal, so it's not displaying proplery. Any ideas?

Russ-
As i mentioned in your other thread, you can not feed "1360x768 60Hz" to the 1140 via HDMI. The manual (pg 67) lists the available resolutions for the HDMI input

1920x1080i@59.94/60 Hz
720x480p@59.94/60 Hz
1280x720p@59.94/60 Hz
720(1440)x480i@59.94/60 Hz
1920x1080p@24 Hz

IF you use the VGA Input you can use the 1360 x 768 60 Hz resolution, once you feed this resolution to the display you will know its working properly if you can change the display mode to "Dot by Dot".

My LCD monitor does the same thing when i try to feed a resolution it doesn't completely support it always says 1080i, but it still displays an image...I don't really know why.

Hope this helps...
-DrPyro

PS: The ESPN problem may likely be the result of not completely using HD cameras. It becomes painfully obvious which camera views are just using the "old" std Definition cameras. For example, the over head camera that is suspended by wires over many stadiums, is a Std. Definition camera...so those images usually look horrible compared to the other cameras.

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #24 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPyro View Post

Russ-
As i mentioned in your other thread, you can not feed "1360x768 60Hz" to the 1140 via HDMI. The manual (pg 67) lists the available resolutions for the HDMI input

1920x1080i@59.94/60 Hz
720x480p@59.94/60 Hz
1280x720p@59.94/60 Hz
720(1440)x480i@59.94/60 Hz
1920x1080p@24 Hz

IF you use the VGA Input you can use the 1360 x 768 60 Hz resolution, once you feed this resolution to the display you will know its working properly if you can change the display mode to "Dot by Dot".

My LCD monitor does the same thing when i try to feed a resolution it doesn't completely support it always says 1080i, but it still displays an image...I don't really know why.

Hope this helps...
-DrPyro

PS: The ESPN problem may likely be the result of not completely using HD cameras. It becomes painfully obvious which camera views are just using the "old" std Definition cameras. For example, the over head camera that is suspended by wires over many stadiums, is a Std. Definition camera...so those images usually look horrible compared to the other cameras.

Thank you so much for looping back over here, as I'm starting to lose track of all the threads... I don't see how other people do it, that's why I created this owners thread.

Any thoughts on going to the VGA port then for HTPC over HDMI? What do you other users think you are going to do? Is getting Dot by dot more important or avoiding any analog conversion?

I'm a newbie in this arena, so I can't really say.
post #25 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

'Pure' mode to my understanding actually turns off most if not all of the 'video enhancement' features of the set. It is the first thing an owner, (or propective buyer), should do imho.
Bish
post #26 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 04:06 PM

RUSSWONG

Where did you get your 1140HD? I am down in Orange County and will have my wall ready soon, so I am beginning to look for dealers.

Go Sooners, beat Texas
Vince Young 39 - 2 (lost 1 to OU)
post #27 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 05:02 PM

Russ-

I think that is the $64,000 question... VGA @ dot by dot or Digital @ 1080i-60Hz.
Having tried this on a variety of computer LCD monitors and projector experience, I think it really depends on what you are trying to do with your computer. You really notice not feeding native resolution when you read text from the web or word document. However, when I was running my projector (Sanyo PLV-Z1) via VGA, I actually stop feeding native resolution to the projector solely because i was constantly switching between the desktop and a MyHD card (720p) and it took a few seconds to resync to the new resolution (sometimes it didn't resync properly either). I tried to see differences in DVDs when i was feeding native resolution and when it was scaled twice (Computer and Projector) on the VGA port...but i couldn't really tell so it made it alot simpler to feed both at 720p.

I think the most appropiate test for you is to run dual output via the VGA @ dot by dot and Digital @ 1080i-60Hz to see if you can see a difference.....

Enjoy your toy! I think I'll have to hold off getting the 1140 until I move in 2 months....rats...

Cheers
-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #28 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

August 2006

Home Media Gallery Version - 1.0.121

Curious if there are updates already...
post #29 of 2816 Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I connect to VGA and set the resolution, 1360x768, everything looks crisp, but Dot by Dot option is not available. I think that's only available for resolutions lower then the max resolution. Need to do some more testing.
post #30 of 2816 Old 09-14-2006, 10:59 AM

^^^ Russ let me know what works better for this as I don't have my set yet! When I tried at the store, I used HDMI and I couldn't fill the screen perfectly. Either it was a little over scanned or ua little nderscanned but not perfectly fit on the screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page