Official Pioneer PDP-6070HD/5070-1HD/4270HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
kaosv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
acribb, ponman, both gorgeous setups.

I'm sold.....

Keep 'em coming and maybe even a detailed review. Also a list of mounts for this badboy might help us expectant fathers out.
kaosv1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jacksonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Summerfield, NC
Posts: 4,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah-Dee View Post

Looks like right at 7 5/16" from the wall to the front of the plasma using the Omnimount U3-T. I might be able to shave a couple of sixteenths off if I remove the set and tighten up the lag bolts -- looks like the tiniest sliver of space between the mounting plate and the wall after I put the 6071 up. Grrrrr.

*Still* working on pictures!

Thanks for measuring, now I have to go check my setup at home!
jacksonian is offline  
post #273 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

Will the regular BB be stocking this pioneer 6071, or just the ones with the mini magnolia hifi stores? My two local BB do not have the mini magnolia as part of the store, i found the item sku and tried the store locator for my area 39211 but that option on the BB site is "not available". Would really like to see one of these babies in action.

My BB store has it and I don't even know what magnolia is so I would say yes, for sure.

WilliamR is online now  
post #274 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Where are pics of your TV william!?!
dlconner is offline  
post #275 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiney View Post

Thanks Adam. Very nice room and setup by the way. It will be even more killer when mounted

Is that the Panamax power in wall setup for power and wiring?

Yes it is. 30 bucks. I didn't buy the silly low-voltage module to plug into it, i'll just pull the cables on through. They'll be covered by the TV anyways, so what does it matter? I'd rather it be plugged into a surge supressor, but I guess this is the next best thing. In my experience, the only time I have had lightning damage, it came through the cable and fried everything, so that's where your protection really needs to be.
acribb is offline  
post #276 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Member
 
ponman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

You have a beautiful setup. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question I hope you can help me with. It has to do with the relationships among screen size, seating distance, SDE, and an immersive theater effect.

I will be purchasing a set at the end of this year and faced with a decision between 50 and 60. I am trying to get as immersive an effect for movies as I can, given the limitations of 768x1366 resolution. Therefore, I expect to sit just far enough to loose any SDE.

I have determined, for me, that I can just begin to make out SDE on 50 sets at about 7'. Did you find this to be true for you as well? So I guess 8' would make an acceptable viewing distance.

What I am trying to find out is whether when one backs up enough on a 60 set to just loose the SDE is the viewing angle any greater giving a wider angle viewing experience? I can't quite do the geometry in my head so I need to ask. At your 9-10' seating distance, do you get a wider angle view of your 60 screen than you would sitting just out of SDE range on a 50?

If the angle doesn't change, then I might be wasting money on a larger screen right now. I know this whole discussion would be moot if we were talking 1080 resolution but now that is a bit expensive. I am sure the new 1080 65 Panny would solve the problem!

Cheers,

Gary

Although there are numerous distance/angle calculators posted in other threads, I decided to do the math myself. What you get is roughly equivalent viewing angles for a 50" display at 7' as a 60" display at 8.5' as a 65" display at 9'. Displays are 16:9 of course.

50 in diag = 43.58 in horiz; at 84 in viewing distance, angle is 29 degrees
60 in diag = 52.29 in horiz; at 102 in viewing distance, angle is 28.75 degrees
65 in diag = 56.65 in horiz; at 108 in viewing distance, angle is 29.4 degrees
65 in diag = 56.65 in horiz; at 84 in viewing distance, angle is 37.2 degrees

So if you sit 7' from the screen, going from a 50 to 65 in display will give you an increase of about 8 degrees viewing angle.
ponman is offline  
post #277 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mike1117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post

The 600u is a very nice PDP, but the clay face was visible.

Take the TV out of that damn vivid mode and the clay face goes away!


Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

On a side note, and this is very hard to say as I really try to stay away from the mine is better than your B.S., but here goes anyhow.
Yesterday I was again looking at the 58 inch Panny and the 6071 and please Panny owners dont hate me for saying this but if you still have 30 days from the time of purchase or are still able to do an exchange go take a look at the 6071.
If you have recently purchased a 58 inch Panny and are past the return or exchange window then by all means, avoid Best Buy at all cost, do not set foot into a Best Buy and look at this plasma.
As a matter of fact if you just purchased a 58 inch Panny and cant return or exchange it dont read this thread anymore.

Did you check the settings on the Panny? Haven't seen the 6070 yet, but given extensive time comparing a properly adjusted 50PX600U to a properly adjusted 5070, I can't see that much of a difference. Given the picture I'm getting in my house on the Panny, I'm not running to return it anytime soon.
Mike1117 is offline  
post #278 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Member
 
turbokuo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

You have a beautiful setup. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question I hope you can help me with. It has to do with the relationships among screen size, seating distance, SDE, and an immersive theater effect.

I will be purchasing a set at the end of this year and faced with a decision between 50 and 60. I am trying to get as immersive an effect for movies as I can, given the limitations of 768x1366 resolution. Therefore, I expect to sit just far enough to loose any SDE.

I have determined, for me, that I can just begin to make out SDE on 50 sets at about 7'. Did you find this to be true for you as well? So I guess 8' would make an acceptable viewing distance.

What I am trying to find out is whether when one backs up enough on a 60 set to just loose the SDE is the viewing angle any greater giving a wider angle viewing experience? I can't quite do the geometry in my head so I need to ask. At your 9-10' seating distance, do you get a wider angle view of your 60 screen than you would sitting just out of SDE range on a 50?

If the angle doesn't change, then I might be wasting money on a larger screen right now. I know this whole discussion would be moot if we were talking 1080 resolution but now that is a bit expensive. I am sure the new 1080 65 Panny would solve the problem!

Cheers,

Gary


Also one thing to consider besides the viewing angle is the size of the objects within the screen. On the 60", people on the screen are bigger which helps with the overall realism of the image.
turbokuo is offline  
post #279 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
epiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1117 View Post

Take the TV out of that damn vivid mode and the clay face goes away!




Did you check the settings on the Panny? Haven't seen the 6070 yet, but given extensive time comparing a properly adjusted 50PX600U to a properly adjusted 5070, I can't see that much of a difference. Given the picture I'm getting in my house on the Panny, I'm not running to return it anytime soon.

Please, I hope this does not turn into a Panny vs Pio thread : From my experience as more "average user" I would be very happy to buy both and went primarily on the AVS forum users' experience. Seeing as there was such strong positive raves for both, which was better, was not that big of a deciding factor. I research the crap out if these things in intensive bursts, make trade offs like everyone else does for price etc and then tend to forget about it and enjoy it until it comes time to upgrade. It came down to price and features and functions. Ironically the 58PX600U at my local Magnolia/Best Buy looked really, really bad. It was virtually the worst looking display in the room. They had a 50PX600U on top of it that looked so much better. However it didn't have any bearing on my decision. I figured with some tweaking, it would be just fine.

The deciding factors, for me, were that plastic bulge on the bottom of the Panny and the unbalanced bezel. They really designed the Panny to be stand mounted IMO. Now if there was a commercial 58" Panny, I would be flipping a coin on price and availability.

Back to our scheduled programming....can't wait to get mine in and set up. Unfortunately I am on business travel for a few weeks , but get back just in time for them to ship
epiney is offline  
post #280 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Where are pics of your TV william!?!

I am ordering mine through Cleveland Plasma because of the incredible deal he is offering, so I don't have mine yet.

Hey Chris, WHERE IS MY TV!!!!!

WilliamR is online now  
post #281 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
I am sure it is on its way........from Japan. To bad Best Buy gets everything first.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #282 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not to go off topic...but Chris, have you been approved by Pioneer to ship greater than your 250mile radius yet?
dlconner is offline  
post #283 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Nope. Pioneer is not looking for any new internet authorized dealers I am authorized to sell in my region though.

Once the 507CMX and 607CMX are out that is a whole different ball game. Anyone can sell those. I wonder if the 607CMX will have the big acess card slot (I know the 507CMX will) so a Key Digital Card can be added to make the CMX's just as good if not better than an Elite Pioneer and probably still priced less than the 5070HD and the 6070HD !!

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #284 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
itigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC area
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponman View Post

Although there are numerous distance/angle calculators posted in other threads, I decided to do the math myself. What you get is roughly equivalent viewing angles for a 50" display at 7' as a 60" display at 8.5' as a 65" display at 9'. Displays are 16:9 of course.

50 in diag = 43.58 in horiz; at 84 in viewing distance, angle is 29 degrees
60 in diag = 52.29 in horiz; at 102 in viewing distance, angle is 28.75 degrees
65 in diag = 56.65 in horiz; at 108 in viewing distance, angle is 29.4 degrees
65 in diag = 56.65 in horiz; at 84 in viewing distance, angle is 37.2 degrees

So if you sit 7' from the screen, going from a 50 to 65 in display will give you an increase of about 8 degrees viewing angle.

Thank you for the information. Just one quick question. Do you find with your 60" set that at 8.5' SDE is not noticable/objectionable or do you need to back up further to avoid this?

cheers,

Gary
itigap is offline  
post #285 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Nope. Pioneer is not looking for any new internet authorized dealers I am authorized to sell in my region though.

Sorry to hear that Chris...it is truly a loss on Pioneers side, as I hear nothing but great reviews on your service. Hopefully some day they will wisen up
dlconner is offline  
post #286 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mattburk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bumper
mattburk is offline  
post #287 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Spur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pardon the mess, but had to beat it back to work right after the BB guys set it up.

They arrived half an hour early, had it out of the box by the time I got there. They unpacked everything, set it up and even moved the monster 36incher off the credenza for me

Initial impressions are it is a beautiful TV and I do like the aesthetics better than the panny 58 600u that I almost bought. HDTV from Comcast is due on Sunday, so I only have SD box now. SD looks better through composite connection than through coax.

DVD through component on a cheap Samsung player looked great! With sound muted I do hear a slight buzz from around 2 feet in, but nothing when the sound is on. Anyone else hearing this?
LL
LL
LL
Spur is offline  
post #288 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dtrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thats from the noisy speaker amp built into the uit.
dtrell is offline  
post #289 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Newbie
 
sunmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
woohoo. Bought one in tucson bb today. Was offered an incredible deal (about the same price as internet dealer in phoenix) after rewards. It is being delivered on sunday.
sunmoon is offline  
post #290 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post

Pardon the mess, but had to beat it back to work right after the BB guys set it up.

They arrived half an hour early, had it out of the box by the time I got there. They unpacked everything, set it up and even moved the monster 36incher off the credenza for me

Initial impressions are it is a beautiful TV and I do like the aesthetics better than the panny 58 600u that I almost bought. HDTV from Comcast is due on Sunday, so I only have SD box now. SD looks better through composite connection than through coax.

DVD through component on a cheap Samsung player looked great! With sound muted I do hear a slight buzz from around 2 feet in, but nothing when the sound is on. Anyone else hearing this?

Yes, the 60" panels buzz, just like all plasmas. You'll notice that it buzzes louder on brighter scenes. You won't notice it from your seating position with sound on. Of course the 'buzz' is a little louder on the 60 incher ....
acribb is offline  
post #291 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dssturbo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA South
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok BB seems to have updated their website and taken off the references that the 6071 is a 1080P display.

BUT they changed the price to $6999 instead of $5999 DOH

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
dssturbo1 is offline  
post #292 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
vdmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at the BB nearby my house, it took the guy forever to look this up. He too said that it retails for $6999 as of today. WTF - must be supply and demand. I know why people call them Worst Buy. I have never purchased a big item from them before. Very disappointing!!

The plasma, however, for the 15 min. I saw it, looked great. $5.5-6K would have been a really good bargain for this PDP. Guess I'll wait bit to see what other retailers will do or 'til the 65" 1080P Panny shows up.

Daniel
vdmai is offline  
post #293 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

BUT they changed the price to $6999 instead of $5999 DOH

Even Best Buy has to advertise at Map Price. Pioneer is very strict about this.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #294 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Kampfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy has changed their price on their website to 6999.99 also, through pricegrabber, the only authorized Pioneer dealer I can find is also saying 7000 as the retail price. (Electronic warehouse) Beyond plasma is listing it as 11k. All the other authorized dealer didn't list a price, just say call to pre-order.

Plasma/LCD economy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kampfer is offline  
post #295 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Member
 
ponman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

Thank you for the information. Just one quick question. Do you find with your 60" set that at 8.5' SDE is not noticable/objectionable or do you need to back up further to avoid this?

cheers,

Gary

For my eyes (20/20 no lenses), SDE disappears between 8.5 and 9 feet. At first I was concerned that it would be a factor with a 60 in display at normal viewing distances of 10 - 11 feet. But after observing the 5070 and doing the calculations, concluded that it shouldn't be a problem. And it is not. With the 6070, SDE melts away at 9 feet, leaving a very sharp but invisible pixel structure.

A side note on viewing angles: Some years ago I read a study that concluded that even when the viewing angle remains constant, a picture appears bigger the farther away it is. As the the focal distance increases, the eyes approach parallel and the brain perceives the image as bigger. Once again , bigger is better!

Tonight I watched a standard DVD through the HD-A1 and was very impressed with the color and contrast of the 6070. The mode was USER with all parameters at nominal (0) settings. I hope to see a true HD-DVD sometime in the next few weeks, but I've sampled a few HD movies over cable and they look outstanding. What strikes me the most is the color reproduction of this panel. Having lived with an aging RPTV for 10 yrs, it is a real treat to own.

As far as black levels go, this panel comes very close to true black for a PDP. When viewing a non-existent source in a windowless basement room, the panel is a dark charcoal and it is obvious it is not as black as the bezel. Pretty close but not ink black. However, when viewing scenes with light and dark areas (Letterman for example, with black suits on light background), the contrast is so good that the blacks seem to be as dark as the bezel, even though I know they can't be.

After a single day of viewing, I can say that this is one superb panel that I'll be happy with for many years.
ponman is offline  
post #296 of 7514 Old 08-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
itigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC area
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponman View Post

For my eyes (20/20 no lenses), SDE disappears between 8.5 and 9 feet. At first I was concerned that it would be a factor with a 60 in display at normal viewing distances of 10 - 11 feet. But after observing the 5070 and doing the calculations, concluded that it shouldn't be a problem. And it is not. With the 6070, SDE melts away at 9 feet, leaving a very sharp but invisible pixel structure.

A side note on viewing angles: Some years ago I read a study that concluded that even when the viewing angle remains constant, a picture appears bigger the farther away it is. As the the focal distance increases, the eyes approach parallel and the brain perceives the image as bigger. Once again , bigger is better!

Tonight I watched a standard DVD through the HD-A1 and was very impressed with the color and contrast of the 6070. The mode was USER with all parameters at nominal (0) settings. I hope to see a true HD-DVD sometime in the next few weeks, but I've sampled a few HD movies over cable and they look outstanding. What strikes me the most is the color reproduction of this panel. Having lived with an aging RPTV for 10 yrs, it is a real treat to own.

As far as black levels go, this panel comes very close to true black for a PDP. When viewing a non-existent source in a windowless basement room, the panel is a dark charcoal and it is obvious it is not as black as the bezel. Pretty close but not ink black. However, when viewing scenes with light and dark areas (Letterman for example, with black suits on light background), the contrast is so good that the blacks seem to be as dark as the bezel, even though I know they can't be.

After a single day of viewing, I can say that this is one superb panel that I'll be happy with for many years.

Thanks again for your time in answering my question. I do appreciate it.

I was going to sit 7.5-8' for a 50". If I can sit just 9' from a 60", then I will give serious thought to going that size. I think it would have a greater theater like impact for movies. That distance would also be much preferable for my audio because I like to move my main speakers out into the room as much as possible to add soundstage depth to stereo music.

Thanks again and cheers,

Gary
itigap is offline  
post #297 of 7514 Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So Best Buy gave me a price in writing for the 6071 that is much much lower than what the price has now gone up to.
Anyone care to comment on if they think B.B. will honor the lower price they told me that would be good untill the 12th of this month (Saturday), the day I planned on buying it.


Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #298 of 7514 Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Senior Member
 
gkouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is an Elite version of the 60" Pioneer due out? If so when? I was told that there is one due in September by a Best By rep two days ago, but I have not read about it and am always supicious that these people just don't know what is going on...
gkouri is offline  
post #299 of 7514 Old 08-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Member
 
xodus8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone who has purchased this TV or is planning to purchase it, what is your viewing distance ? I cant decide between the 5070 and 6070. Thanks

HP LC2600N
PIONEER 5070HD
SHARP LC26D6U
DENON AVR3806
xodus8 is offline  
post #300 of 7514 Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri View Post

Is an Elite version of the 60" Pioneer due out? If so when? I was told that there is one due in September by a Best By rep two days ago, but I have not read about it and am always supicious that these people just don't know what is going on...

The new CMX's will be out around then to. Not sure of the specs however I wonder if the 607CMX will have the big acess card slot (I know the 507CMX will) so a Key Digital Card can be added to make the CMX's just as good if not better than an Elite Pioneer and probably still priced less or the same compared to the 5070HD and the 6070HD !! (Keep this in mind when you get the sticker shock from the Pioneer Elite)

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off