Official Pioneer PDP-6070HD/5070-1HD/4270HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7514 Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HAHA! I knew it... Another D-Nice convert. Don't worry, soon, most new Pio owners will see the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7514 Old 08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponman View Post

I'm just about done breaking in my 6070 whether I need to or not. The unit's been on 90 hours continuously in full screen mode during the day and overnight with a break-in DVD I downloaded from another forum thread. All the time using the D-Nice settings.

I agree with you, those settings looked pretty drab, like watching Harry Potter all the time. But after 4 days I now prefer them (with minor adjustments) to the others I liked at first. I don't know if it's because the set has "broken in" or whether I'm used to it. But the colors now look rich and true for most content, sports though I like to crank things up a bit.

Be careful if you get one of these. Dishes and laundry will pile up, yardwork won't get done, there'll be lots of ordering out and you might end up feeling like the Supersize Me Guy!

I just used this break-in DVD here: http://www.eaprogramming.com/ to check for dead pixels. While running it, especially on lighter colors like whites and greys, I notice what seems to be a very faint 'tic-tac-toe grid' in the back bground of the solid colors. I noticed this 'grid' most notably on the 6th chapter on this DVD, which is a very white screen color. Do any other owners see this when running this break-in DVD? I tested on both my HD-DVD player and SD DVD player. It's probably not a big deal, but just wondering if anyone else saw this. I made the wife look at it to to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.....

Oh and no dead pixels that I can see while running this break-in DVD. I could have sworn I had a 'flasher' at one point, a pixel that would flash to black on lighter screens, but that seems to be gone now.
post #363 of 7514 Old 08-13-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

While running it, especially on lighter colors like whites and greys, I notice what seems to be a very faint 'tic-tac-toe grid' in the back bground of the solid colors.

That's weird. I see the same thing using the same break-in DVD. Never would have noticed it otherwise. It must be an artifact of the display under test conditions, assuming the DVD is putting out a uniform pattern.
post #364 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

congrats leroy and davyo being new black bezel beauty pioneer 60" plasma owners u 2 bearstork.

davyo did they give you any kind of hassle at all. even bring it up about the pricing? glad to hear they did take care of you and honor their commitmenmt. they still made money and you've finally gotten your newest dream display

Na, no hassle at all on the sale price they gave me. They did have a problem ringing it up though as the computer had the higher price listed, the store manager had to come over though and adjust the price on their computer so I could buy it.
Anyhow, its all set up.
I will post some pictures soon.

Davyo
post #365 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Pictures of my 6071 above the fireplace with my hottie manniquinn.

Davyo
LL
LL
post #366 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Full view pics of my plasma room complete with stripper stage and dancers pole.

In Vegas we have strippers dancing on our home stripper stages while we watch our plasma's,,, thats how everyone watch's their plasma'a right ?????

Davyo
LL
LL
post #367 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Full view pics of my plasma room complete with stripper stage and dancers pole.

In Vegas we have strippers dancing on our home stripper stages while we watch our plasma's,,, thats how everyone watch's their plasma'a right ?????

Davyo

Not exactly......
post #368 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh,,, I guess I should post my impressions of the 6071 now that I have been able to spend some quality time with it.

First off, going from a Panasonic to a Pioneer has left me with no regrets at all, up until the release of the 6071 and the newer Pio models I would say that Panasonic always had the better picture quality but me thinks that has now changed with these new Pio's.
And I must say in the past years I have ALWAYS prefured the Panny's plasma picture to the Pioneer plasma's picture,,,, up until now.

Anyhow, sorry for the Panny digs, Im just still pissed at them for the silver thing.

The 6071 picture is to say the least stunning and when its turned off it still looks stunning.
HD channels get a big WOW and with my HD-DVD, jaw dropping would say it best.
My SD and digital cable channels look great as well.

I just cant think of anything I dont love about this plasma.

While sitting here writing this and looking at my new 6071 I had an odd thought, what would I own if the 6071 had not come out.
Since I have owned a few displays these would be my choices.

The current 65" commercial Panny plasma (I dont think the 58 inchers look that much better than the 65 inchers) and he current 65 inch Panny price is comming down,,,, (but we all know the upcomming new 1080 65" Panny plasma will be the one to have, I saw it at CES and it did rock).

If I did not have to have a plasma it would be the JVC 70" FH96, the set I returned a few months ago,,, WOW,,, that RPTV had the best picture I think I have ever seen on ANY display ever, I really do miss that TV, too bad it was to big for my room,,,,,,,,,, and its all black too.
If your on the fence between a plasma and a RPTV and you have the room, even though its only 16" deep, you all really need to check the JVC 70 incher out.

As a matter of fact just in case anyone thinks by my posting that Im playin the my Pio is better than your Panny game because I now own a Pio, let me say I dont play the mine is better game.
If ya all want to know what display has the best picture to be had right now (in my opinion) it would be the 70" 1080p JVC, and thats the one I no longer own.

Anyhow, just my thoughts, Im sure I will post more about the 6071 as I get to play with it more.

Davyo
post #369 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Davyo,

I think your edit just answered my PM.

Thanks

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #370 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Davyo,

I think your edit just answered my PM.

Thanks

I just re-edited again to add it was the 1080p JVC that I had,,,, not the 720p.

Davyo
post #371 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pictures of my 6071 above the fireplace with my hottie manniquinn.

Davyo

You are one sick puppy!
post #372 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponman View Post

That's weird. I see the same thing using the same break-in DVD. Never would have noticed it otherwise. It must be an artifact of the display under test conditions, assuming the DVD is putting out a uniform pattern.

I guess that's good to know that others are seeing it. I also notice it in bright 'sky' scenes, when panning, you can faintly see this 'ribbing' on the plasma, of course only if you're looking for it.

I tested the DVD on my 42" Panasonic, and the colors were perfectly uniform, no gridding like on this TV. Sounds like exchanging it isn't going to do any good.

Just don't look for it while watching HD, otherwise you'll see it! Maybe it will go away with more use, who knows...
post #373 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ahhh,,, I guess I should post my impressions of the 6071 now that I have been able to spend some quality time with it.

First off, going from a Panasonic to a Pioneer has left me with no regrets at all, up until the release of the 6071 and the newer Pio models I would say that Panasonic always had the better picture quality but me thinks that has now changed with these new Pio's.
And I must say in the past years I have ALWAYS prefured the Panny's plasma picture to the Pioneer plasma's picture,,,, up until now.

Anyhow, sorry for the Panny digs, Im just still pissed at them for the silver thing.

The 6071 picture is to say the least stunning and when its turned off it still looks stunning.
HD channels get a big WOW and with my HD-DVD, jaw dropping would say it best.
My SD and digital cable channels look great as well.

I just cant think of anything I dont love about this plasma.

While sitting here writing this and looking at my new 6071 I had an odd thought, what would I own if the 6071 had not come out.
Since I have owned a few displays these would be my choices.

The current 65" commercial Panny plasma (I dont think the 58 inchers look that much better than the 65 inchers) and he current 65 inch Panny price is comming down,,,, (but we all know the upcomming new 1080 65" Panny plasma will be the one to have, I saw it at CES and it did rock).

If I did not have to have a plasma it would be the JVC 70" FH96, the set I returned a few months ago,,, WOW,,, that RPTV had the best picture I think I have ever seen on ANY display ever, I really do miss that TV, too bad it was to big for my room,,,,,,,,,, and its all black too.
If your on the fence between a plasma and a RPTV and you have the room, even though its only 16" deep, you all really need to check the JVC 70 incher out.

As a matter of fact just in case anyone thinks by my posting that Im playin the my Pio is better than your Panny game because I now own a Pio, let me say I dont play the mine is better game.
If ya all want to know what display has the best picture to be had right now (in my opinion) it would be the 70" 1080p JVC, and thats the one I no longer own.

Anyhow, just my thoughts, Im sure I will post more about the 6071 as I get to play with it more.

Davyo

Did you notice SSE on the JVC? How objectionable was it? How, in your opinion, did the JVC PQ compare to the similar technology Sony SXRD?

Congrats on the set. Next time wait until the dancers come over to take pictures!

cheers,

Gary
post #374 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:

not to derail the thread, but how was the viewing angle on the JVC? My first choice right now is the 6070, but I want to see more LCoS tv's in person before I decide. My main worry is the viewing angle though. My living room is pretty wide, and the kitchen/dining is adjacent so I prefer a tv that can display a good image at very wide angles.

Thanks.
post #375 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary, in answer to your question, you could see the SSE a little bit at times but not a big deal in my opinion. The SXRD has a great picture as well but I still think I liked the JVC picture better, plus the Sony is just a ugly tv, and it also has the dreaded silver color.

PhantomOG, in answer to your question, the JVC has the best viewing angles I have ever seen on any RPTV.

If anyone else wants any opinions on the JVC just PM me, so as not to take this thread off topic.

And yes, I would have loved to have posted some pictures of some live stippers on the dancing pole next to my 6071 but somehow me feels that might be against the forum rules.
In the next week I will post some picts of a real live Vegas showgirl in costume with my Pio 6071.
Being single has its perks !!!!!!!!!!

Davyo
post #376 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats Davyo. Beautiful!

Quick questions: how far away do you sit and have you had any SDE issues?

Thanks, enjoy that plasma.
post #377 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

You are one sick puppy!

Hehe what im curious about is if the stripper pole is for real strippers or for the manniquinn
post #378 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Hehe what im curious about is if the stripper pole is for real strippers or for the manniquinn

When I am asleep the manniquinn comes to life, turns on my new 6071 and dances. I have givin her instructions on how to use the 6071 for the break in period.
Real live Vegas strippers also use the pole, when that happens I am very much awake !!!!!!!!!!

Davyo
post #379 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Congratulations Davyo and good to hear your estatic and thanks for the humor in posting your significant other. Interesting the comments on the JVC - why didn't you just go to the 61"? We don't have any 1080P's to view in my area and no way I could decide based upon the 720P model at BB. Just wondering why you just didn't go down a size.

So far looks as if the feedback is great on the Pio. Definitely is a great looking panel but I went to see one but again we simply cannot get squat new TV's to actually see. Well, enjoy your panel I like to sit back and watch the feedback for about a month as virtually every thread takes a twist after about two weeks when new owners find issues to debate over time. The only thread I recall it not occurring was the Q006 thread. The test will be about a month from now if the feedback goes untainted with some kind of issue. Wish you owners the best.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #380 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Na, no hassle at all on the sale price they gave me. They did have a problem ringing it up though as the computer had the higher price listed, the store manager had to come over though and adjust the price on their computer so I could buy it.
Anyhow, its all set up.

Davyo

Congrats on the purchase and not getting any hassels from Best Buy!
post #381 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Congratulations Davyo and good to hear your estatic and thanks for the humor in posting your significant other. Interesting the comments on the JVC - why didn't you just go to the 61"? We don't have any 1080P's to view in my area and no way I could decide based upon the 720P model at BB. Just wondering why you just didn't go down a size

Thanks Westa for the congrads and im glad you liked the pictures of my significant other that I included with the 6071.
As far as the JVC size, the 61 inch set is not that much smaller than the 70 incher and if I was going 61 inches theres no reason to go RPTV since we now have a 60 inch plasma to choose that is at a much lower price than in the past.
As far as RPTV, 70 inchs or bigger is the only size I would be interested in.

Davyo
post #382 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, there is definitely something wrong with this first crop of plasmas, or possibly the entire line.

There is a tic-tac-toe like grid that is embedded in the display. It is a very light grey and very light grid of squares, almost like a transluscent net embedded in the display. I don't know how else to explain it.

I first started noticing this on lighter, panning scenes, like bright sky scenes. I would see faint horizontal and vertical lines for a brief second until a darker scene came on. I initially thought this was the way the film was, but when the scene is moving and the faint 'grid' is stationary, it's definitely the TV.

I confirmed this with the break-in DVD I downloaded from here: http://www.eaprogramming.com/

Anyways, I ask that any of you with a 6071 please check and see if you are exhibiting the same symptons on your display. You can use the break-in DVD to clearly see it, especially on the 6th chapter, but definitely visible on all the chapters. It's almost like they made the plasma out of many 5 inch squares of pixels. Not good.

Again, this is most noticeable on scenes with a lot of light blue sky and with the break-in DVD.

I tested this out on my 42" Panasonic TV, and it did not demonstrate this gridding.

I really don't want to exchange/return this beautiful display, but I know i'll always notice this if I don't.

All owners please respond with your observations using this DVD (and regular viewing of HD observations).

Thanks..
post #383 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

acribb, maybe its just a function of the larger pixels needed to make a 768p 60 inch display? dont feel bad, enjoy it. my 5070 has one flakey red pixel...i am now just ignoring it and enjoying the picture...
post #384 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

acribb, maybe its just a function of the larger pixels needed to make a 768p 60 inch display? dont feel bad, enjoy it. my 5070 has one flakey red pixel...i am now just ignoring it and enjoying the picture...

Have you tried out this break-in DVD on your plasma?
post #385 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, there is definitely something wrong with this first crop of plasmas, or possibly the entire line.

There is a tic-tac-toe like grid that is embedded in the display. It is a very light grey and very light grid of squares, almost like a transluscent net embedded in the display. I don't know how else to explain it.

I first started noticing this on lighter, panning scenes, like bright sky scenes. I would see faint horizontal and vertical lines for a brief second until a darker scene came on. I initially thought this was the way the film was, but when the scene is moving and the faint 'grid' is stationary, it's definitely the TV.

I confirmed this with the break-in DVD I downloaded from here: http://www.eaprogramming.com/

Anyways, I ask that any of you with a 6071 please check and see if you are exhibiting the same symptons on your display. You can use the break-in DVD to clearly see it, especially on the 6th chapter, but definitely visible on all the chapters. It's almost like they made the plasma out of many 5 inch squares of pixels. Not good.

Again, this is most noticeable on scenes with a lot of light blue sky and with the break-in DVD.

I tested this out on my 42" Panasonic TV, and it did not demonstrate this gridding.

I really don't want to exchange/return this beautiful display, but I know i'll always notice this if I don't.

All owners please respond with your observations using this DVD (and regular viewing of HD observations).

Thanks..

I did not do the break-in disc test but I will say I have noticed nothing but a perfectly steller picture with every source I have played on my 6071.
SD, digital cable, HD and HD-DVD.

Just my 2 cents.

Davyo
post #386 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried out this break-in DVD on your plasma?

no, i might...but i doubt itll fix a bad pixel...
post #387 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, its all set up.

Davyo

Davyo-

Curious about which mount was used and the effort required to hoist the plasma up above the fireplace......did you have it installed or did you do it yourself? How many guys did it take to get the thing up there?
post #388 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did not do the break-in disc test but I will say I have noticed nothing but a perfectly steller picture with every source I have played on my 6071.

Just my 2 cents.

Davyo

Agreed that it is an amazing picture, but not without it's issues with this side effect.

I wish you would try it out so I can see if it's everyone's panel and not just mine......
post #389 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:

I see the same thing but it is extremely faint on my display. So slight is the imperfection that I can see it only with the break-in DVD. If it was as pronounced as on your display, it would bug the crap of me and I'd exchange the unit.
post #390 of 7514 Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Davyo

Congrats on the new Pio 60"er!! I remember your posts last Jan. after seeing the Panny 1080p 65" Plasma at CES, and you were sold. I guess a lot has changed in 7 months, but what would you say turned the corner in your decision...other than the color silver?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page