Official Pioneer PDP-6070HD/5070-1HD/4270HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 7514 Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No, don't have the 5070 yet...still considering things...like the awesome but reflective bezel. Don't know if seeing hot points on the sweet bezel would interfere with viewing enjoyment...not so much for TV but for movies. I do backlight however so it should be less of a problem as the room can go Cinematic dark when needed without too much eyestrain (wifey). Oh well, between the 600U and the 5070 (maybe (gulp) even the 5073) I'll finally decide.

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 7514 Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

No, don't have the 5070 yet...still considering things...like the awesome but reflective bezel. Don't know if seeing hot points on the sweet bezel would interfere with viewing enjoyment...not so much for TV but for movies. I do backlight however so it should be less of a problem as the room can go Cinematic dark when needed without too much eyestrain (wifey). Oh well, between the 600U and the 5070 (maybe (gulp) even the 5073) I'll finally decide.

Enjoy.

wELL I DONT THINK IT WILL INTERFERE, I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THAT I NEVER SEEN ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THAT AS OF YET BY ANYONE. I USUALLY WORK IN THE DAY AND PLAY AT NIGHT SO I DONT THINK THAT WILL BE MUCH CONCERN, BUT AGAIN I WILL SEE. THE 600U IS A NICE PIECE BUT I DIDNT GET IT B/C OF THE SILVER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE. BUT OTHER THEN THAT WOULD BE A GREAT DEAL, I ALMOST BOUGHT THE 58" 600U BUT REALIZED TO BIG FOR MY NEED OF SITTIN 8 FEET AWAY. I JUST OPEND THE BOX FOR THE 5070 AND IM LOVING IT, LOOKS LIKE A MASTER PIECE ON THE FLOOR, LOL. HOOK UP IN THE AM. CANT WAIT, GO GET URS. GO TO J&R DOWNTOWN IF YOUR IN MANHATTAN, NY.
post #1443 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM

I returned my Sony KDL46V25L1 yesterday to Costco. After a couple more hours of research I decided to pull the the trigger and buy the PDP-5071. (it would not fit in my SUV and I had to go across the street and rent a Home Depot truck to get it home).

When I got home and hooked it up, it just blew me away! I only have a couple of hours watching it, but it's met and exceed my expectations. The picture between the Sony and the Pioneer is day and night. Most of the artifacts and anomalies I saw on the Sony (sorry I don't know all the terms for what I was seeing) are no longer there. Happy, Happy :-)

I'm relatively new to these forums and have a couple of questions. I know where the "break-in" settings are in the forums, but I have not read anywhere that describes the purpose of a break-in period?

I noticed that there are different settings for different sources (the first settings say not to use them with a DVD). All my sources go into a Yamaha receiver via component and then I have one component from the Yamaha receiver to the 5071. So my cable and DVD follow the same path to the 5071. Any comments or recommendations for seeting with this setup? I have to following:

o Cable -> Tivo Series 3 ---(component)---> Yamaha Receiver
o Zenith DVB318 DVD (F/W downgraded to improved component
upscaling, actually says LG when starting) ---(component)---> Yamaha Receiver
o Yamaha RX-V1400 ---(component)---> Pioneer PDP-5071

I also hooked the Tivo S3 to the 5071 with an HDMI cable (very briefly), and did not notice any significant difference to the component connection.

Also, I disabled the upscaler on the DVD player assuming the 5071 might do a better job.

Comments and siggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
post #1444 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtwd View Post

I'm relatively new to these forums and have a couple of questions. I know where the "break-in" settings are in the forums, but I have not read anywhere that describes the purpose of a break-in period?

OK, I'll answer my first question. Just found the MASTER BURN-IN/BREAK-IN THREAD.
post #1445 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
fredtwd,

I'd recommend giving HDMI from your Tivo S3 another chance. If your S3 is only a few hours old, you will likely see more of a difference after 5 days of use.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1446 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 07:32 AM

fredtwd,

the HDMI connection is mainly for channels that are giving out 1080i signal, eg. discovery HD and HDnet channels. I got my 5070 plasma yesterday and i didnt even hook it up yet. but i will today, i cant wait to get the same WOW factor. I heard that the reason for the break in period is so that ur plasma will get used to the piture on the tv and be less likely to have any burn in on the screen in the future. I guess it like buying a new car u have to break it in the first 1000 miles.
post #1447 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 AM

would anyone like to chare pics of their 5070 and their home theatre, i will post mine once hooked up later today.
post #1448 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM

The picture was taken during the day and you can see how this display reflects about everything. I had to buy room darkening blinds behind my viewing position to get rid of the reflections.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the panel.

Hans.
LL
post #1449 of 7514 Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 PM

Gruntenstein

ok, nice pic, but everyone know that u should not put ur tv where there is a window behind u b/c u will get a reflection.
Is it really necessary to do a plasma 5070 breakin or is that just optional. The settings i got from D-nice are just horrible lookin at the screen???? and 200 hours is a long time for me (3 months i would say)
post #1450 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal View Post

Gruntenstein

ok, nice pic, but everyone know that u should not put ur tv where there is a window behind u b/c u will get a reflection.
Is it really necessary to do a plasma 5070 breakin or is that just optional. The settings i got from D-nice are just horrible lookin at the screen???? and 200 hours is a long time for me (3 months i would say)

leave it on while ur sleeping. thats what im gonna do. whats a good amount of time to leave it on for, i mean would it be bad to leave it on for 12 hours?
post #1451 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 01:59 AM

Hey guys, I just have one quick question? I know this set accepts 1080p through hdmi, but will it accept it through vga and/or component? The reason I ask is cause I want to know if my 360 will be able to send it the 1080p signal. Thanks in advance.
post #1452 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoady4Shoady View Post

Hey guys, I just have one quick question? I know this set accepts 1080p through hdmi, but will it accept it through vga and/or component? The reason I ask is cause I want to know if my 360 will be able to send it the 1080p signal. Thanks in advance.

NO B/C 360 WILL ONLY SEND AND GO UP TO 1080I NOT 1080P. HOWEVER, PS3 WILL SEND IT BUT WONT ACTUALLY DISPLAY IT.
post #1453 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Gruntenstein

I found D-Nice's setting more than fine for night time viewing. You could tweak them to your own tastes if they're really bad for you. Leaving the set on over night isn't exactly environmentally friendly now, is it? I'm expecting an equally long break in period, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. My only concern is the highly reflective nature of the panel.
post #1454 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 09:33 AM

Just picked up a PDP-4271HD last night and so far love it. I have DirecTV HD run thru HDMI and a Sony DVD thru component. I was wondering how much calibration was needed on this set. I actually have a cal DVD coming in the mail. Wasn't sure what you guys thought or recommended. This is my first Pioneer but 2nd Plasma. I have already looked at the burn-in settings in the other thread, just wasn't sure how much more would be needed.

Thanks in advance.
Eddie
post #1455 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 09:48 AM

My 5070 is coming tomorrow and I have a couple questions that I would like to offer up to the Forum's experts. I plan to use D-Nice's break-in settings. I'm in Florida for only seven more days and I'd like to make sure that I break the unit in properly without pushing the pedal too hard - even if I don't register my 100+ on this trip

1. What is the recommended duration for continuous "on state" for the unit in hours for break-in?

2. If I don't complete the 100+ hours of break-in during this trip, can I simply pick up where I left off in December or will the break in operation set me back to square one?

3. Should I leave the unit in standby mode during time nobody is occupying the Florida residence or should I power the unit down?

4. I read years ago that plasma TVs were negatively impacted by long stretches of inactivity. Is this true since there will be at least one six month stretch when the unit will be inactive. If so, is there anything I can do to mitigate the impact?

I've learned a lot from this Forum over the years, waited a long time for the LCD technology to advance because I didn't have answers to the questions like those above. After being really disappointed in the new 1080P LCD offerings, I went back to Pio. Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.
post #1456 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy View Post

I found D-Nice's setting more than fine for night time viewing. You could tweak them to your own tastes if they're really bad for you. Leaving the set on over night isn't exactly environmentally friendly now, is it? I'm expecting an equally long break in period, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. My only concern is the highly reflective nature of the panel.

hONESTLY I DONT EVEN NOTICE THE REFLECTIVE PANEL WHEN IM WATCHING TV, I GUESS THE PIONEER PLASMA PICTURE IS JUST THAT GOOD.
post #1457 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 12:24 PM

I just picked up a Comcast Cable DVR with HDMI and now have it connected directly to my PDP-5071HD, could someone with the same components help me with the settings for both.

Comcast DVR Setting Choices

HDMI/ypbrpr OUTPUT my choices are 480P or 480I or 1080I or 720P
4:3 OVERIDE my choices are STRETCH or OFF or 480P or 480I

Which should I select?

PDP-5071HD

From the HOME MENU I go to OPTIONS and have selected this choices

ATUO SIZE = ON
4:3 MODE = WIDE
SIDE MASK = AUTO
HDMI Input = Video is set to AUTO

Do I have these correct?

Thanks

Dave
post #1458 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoady4Shoady View Post

it only accepts a 1080p24 signal over hdmi or component. this is for a straight output of a 1080p24 HDDVD or BLURAY when there is a player that will output this signal (currently none of the available ones do AFAIK). the 5070 will NOT accept a 1080p60 input signal.
post #1459 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 PM

I am new owner of 5070 HD. Everything is working fine except one issue that has been bugging me.

If I unplug my 5070HD from the power outlet and plug it again and start, I get a message "Plasma Display is Starting up". The message stays for few seconds and then disappears and then I get my TV and everything is normal. I don't get this message anymore if power it up from standy mode or by pressing on/off button on the panel. However, if I uplug it from the power outlet and restart the unit, I get the same message for few seconds. I am using OTA and DishNet and wondering if this has to do with OTA.

Has anyone experieced this? Is it normal? Please advise.
Thanks.
post #1460 of 7514 Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 PM

I got 3 quick questions.

(1) How necessary is it to do a break-in on Pioneer plasma tvs;
(2) is it necessary;
(3) what happens if i dont do a break in?

I want to enjoy the color that it gives out now and the settings i got from D-nice make it look so dull.
post #1461 of 7514 Old 11-06-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanseth View Post

If I unplug my 5070HD from the power outlet and plug it again and start, I get a message "Plasma Display is Starting up". The message stays for few seconds and then disappears and then I get my TV and everything is normal. I don't get this message anymore if power it up from standy mode or by pressing on/off button on the panel.

If you look at the back of your manual, you will see that this TV is running the Linux operating system. I would assume when you power cycle the unit, the operating system is booting up. It probably stays in a running state when in standby or even if you turn the unit off by pressing the power button.
post #1462 of 7514 Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I got 3 quick questions.

(1) How necessary is it to do a break-in on Pioneer plasma tvs;
(2) is it necessary;
(3) what happens if i dont do a break in?

I want to enjoy the color that it gives out now and the settings i got from D-nice make it look so dull.

As the 5070 features nothing but a screensaver with still images in the way of screen protection, it's completely up to you. I would stick with the burn-in settings myself...at least for 100 hours (I generally go 200 for insurance). Instant gratification can be expensive in the long run. If you won't do it then at least avoid any aspect ratio bars when viewing and keep channels featuring heavy ticker and graphics use to a minimum.

Phospors are at their brightest in the first few hundred hours of usage.
post #1463 of 7514 Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

As the 5070 features nothing but a screensaver with still images in the way of screen protection, it's completely up to you. I would stick with the burn-in settings myself...at least for 100 hours (I generally go 200 for insurance). Instant gratification can be expensive in the long run. If you won't do it then at least avoid any aspect ratio bars when viewing and keep channels featuring heavy ticker and graphics use to a minimum.

Phospors are at their brightest in the first few hundred hours of usage.

ok thank you, so will the picture quality be sharper after a few hundred hours of watching tv and after breaking it in???

and does anyone have any good setting for playin X-Box 360 and dvd's???
post #1464 of 7514 Old 11-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntenstein View Post

I'm the happy owner of a 5070 since last Friday. If I'm not watching TV, I have the break-in DVD running so I'm over a 100 hours already.
Hans.

Where do I get a break-in DVD?
post #1465 of 7514 Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdoc View Post

Where do I get a break-in DVD?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=608677
post #1466 of 7514 Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the link to the break-in thread. I am a little bit hesitant to download/use the break-in DVD posted in that thread, since it was posted a few years ago. Scanning through the thread, I see that there are a few people (who, admittedly, may be right or wrong) claiming that they believe that running the break-in DVD may have damaged their screens. Further, I am surprised that Pioneer does not provide (or offer) a break-in DVD, if such a DVD is truly useful in protecting the phosphors from uneven aging. Notably, Pioneer did provide a soft cloth to wipe down/protect the bezel, and I assume that a break-in DVD would not cost them much more than that little scrap of cloth. So what gives? Does Pio disagree that burn-in is an issue? I have searched the PDF version of the owner's manual, and it appears that there is no reference to break-in or burn-in, unless my search was poor.
post #1467 of 7514 Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Guys i am glad you all are having fun with your tv's, I am not. I purchased mine on 7/24/06 from magnolia, it broke on 10/19/06. Got it back from the Pioneer service center on 11/01/06. The found a defective ic on the scan assembly. last night I tried to turn it on guess what broke again. I am trying to get a new set and I have a case number with them. I will keep you guys updated on my progress with Pioneer. So far they have been positive but I don't want my set going from service center to my home on a regular basis. I missed all the World Series games and i was not happy about it.
post #1468 of 7514 Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM

I've have my 4270 for a month or so and I have a couple of questions. Does the 4270 have a screensaver? If so, how do I get to it?

Second, I have an SA8300 HD Box going to the TV w/an HDMI cable. On all of the HD channels, it broadcasts in 1080i. However, I'm wondering if I set the box to output 720P and let the TV do the upscaling if it would be a crisper picture. Any thoughts? Thanks.
post #1469 of 7514 Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got my 6070! It is amazing. I reordered it from Cleveland Plasma after cancelling the order with TVA...(Long story, see my other posts). Chris did a great job getting this huge beautiful set to me quickly, with in house setup even. Chris communicates with his customers wonderfully, and I'm now a loyal ClevelandPlasma customer for life. Anyways though, this is my favorite tv of all times. Right out of the box, no IR, bright and beautiful, even out of torch mode. Great blacks compared to my NEC or Hitachi. I connected my HTPC, and Xbox, and played at will on them, to see if I could get any IR, (which I knew would go away if I did), and had absolutely none, which was my main requirement for the new set. If anyone is on the fence about this set, I say buy it!

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #1470 of 7514 Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats!

On another note, have there been any professional reviews of the 6070 yet?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page