Official Pioneer PDP-6070HD/5070-1HD/4270HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=davyo]BIG CONGRADS to you Ponman on your purchase.

Now I know I might get flamed for saying this, but today I got to see the 6071 in person, a few yards away from the Panny 58" 600U.
My impression, if both plamsa's were the same exact size, the same price and both black,,, I would pick the Pioneer,,, going back and forth today looking at both the 58" Panny and the 6070, the Pioneer was the clear winner, (much better picture in my opinion).
And when I say the Pio picture was better I dont mean by just a little, the Pio picture was way better.
Funny thing too, when I got up about 4 feet from the Panny, the picture was almost unwatchable due to so much blocking, however the 6070 still looked smooth and very watchable at that same close distance, before seeing that for myself I would have thought both sets would have been about the same at such a close distance but that was not the case.
............................................................ .................................
Davyo,

Did the 58 Panasonic happen to be out of Vivid Mode when you did your comparo? Good luck and if you're in a hurry get one at BB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ditto the question above, how would you hang this from the ceiling?
post #183 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesky View Post

Davyo,

Did the 58 Panasonic happen to be out of Vivid Mode when you did your comparo? Good luck and if you're in a hurry get one at BB.

I dont know what setting the Panny was in and the 6070 was right out of the box, and I know that as I helped them take the 6070 out of the box.
And yea, Best Buy is were I was and could have taken it home right then.

And as far as the settings on the Panny and the Pio it would not have had anything to do with the main reason I was so un-happy with the Panny picture compared to the Pio picture.
It was the massive blocking up close on the Panny and almost none on the Pio at the same distance, just that observation alone would make me not get the Panny.

Davyo
post #184 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I dont know what setting the Panny was in and the 6070 was right out of the box, and I know that as I helped them take the 6070 out of the box.
And yea, Best Buy is were I was and could have taken it home right then.

Davyo

If you go back to BB take the 58 Panasonic out of Vivid (Vivid causes clayface, etc.,.) and try Standard and tell us what you think of the two then. I don't remember what the equivalent Pioneer setting is. I'm out of the country and won't be back for a week and it would be great to get your thoughts if you are able to get back over there in a day or so.
post #185 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Oh man, oh man, oh man. Was at my local Best Buy. Wasn't even expecting it (was there for something else) turned the corner and BHAM, there was the 6070 in all its glory. It was like a moment from a movie. I almost hugged the thing. My wife stayed at the store for an hour watching it, watching other sets. Sales people kept coming up to ask us if we were sure we didn't need anything.

Compared this bad boy with a lot of other TVs. Guys, I am not a video expert by any means, but oh my God this set is gorgeous. The picture was stunning, simply stunning. All sets around it were playing the same loop, various clips, plus the living sea clip, and other stuff. I was able to compare this 6070 with the Panasonic, Samsung and a few other brand names around it (the 6070 was dead center of all the others). This set won hands down on everything and was better then any set around it. Color was eye poppingly good. Blacks, incredible, detail out of this world. Didn't play with any settings, just watched. I could see so much more detail in the 6070 then any other set around it. Some of the scenes, I could see detail in the distance (i.e. fish swimming, etc.) that I couldn't see in other sets. The black around the TV was stylish and non-distracting (unlike the Panasonic).

I can't say enough about how great this TV looked, I was SOOOO impressed, exceeded my expectations. My wife kept asking me (and she is even less a video person then I am) why does it look so much better then that one or that one and she would be like, look, you can see the details of the trees on that island but not on that other TV.

Kudos Pioneer, gorgeous set. If there were any doubts lingering between the two sets in my mind, that is now gone for good. Its Pioneer all the way.

post #186 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll be there today to see it. I already decided no impulse buying. Now after reading these quickie reviews it might be harder than I thought.

No impulse buys, no impulse buys, no impulse buys.........I think I'm there, I think I'm there....
post #187 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Now to my problem, I have the 6070 pre-paid with an AVS sponser that has not been able to give me a price or even a shipping date yet, if it was not for that I would have the 6071 sitting in my living room at this very moment, (I could have took one home tonight).
So what do I do now, stick with the AVS sponser that has always been great to me but cant tell me how much or when ???? or do I get a refund on my pre-order and perhaps pay a few more dollars buying localy from a B&M.
Hummm what to do ?????????,,, this really sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davyo

So TVA still hasn't coughed up a price or availability date? Davyo, you know what advice i'd give you.... I know how long you have been waiting. And I know how loyal you are to TVA because you've had a couple of good experiences with them. Company loyalty only goes so far, and in this case I think TVA has really dropped the ball on this model with the way they've held out on prices this late in the game while countless other authorized retailers have had their excellent pricing available for MONTHS. I think you should take care of yourself and not worry about TVA. After all it is you that is the one that will be owning the TV. I'd say that best case scenario, if ordering online, at the earliest, you will have the set in your living room on 8/28.

Mines being delivered tomorrow morning at 8am. Unfortunately, I do have to go to work tomorrow, so I won't be able to play with it until after work. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. It's been a long six month wait.....
post #188 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I EXPECT full DETAILED reports from you 3-5 who are getting them tomorrow! And PICTURES too! Good luck with your new sets, and don't keep us waiting to long!

Dustin
post #189 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

Mines being delivered tomorrow morning at 8am. Unfortunately, I do have to go to work tomorrow, so I won't be able to play with it until after work. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. It's been a long six month wait.....

WORK???? If I had a 60" coming in I would call in sick for the rest of the week!
btw Congratulations acribb! Please post some pics and give us details on your new panel. I'm planning to upgrade soon...my 50" is looking pretty small lately....
post #190 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but can those speakers be side-mounted instead of underneath? I've always liked them better on the sides. And that's how BB used to distinguish thier "x1" models from the usual, by moving the speakers underneath.
post #191 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 AM

I decided to order the Omnimount U3-T ("U3TILTMOUNT") from Amazon, using my next-day-delivery-for-$3.99 option on the 'Amazon Prime' trial still running on my account there, to save quite a bit (35-40% after tax figured in) over what CC/BB wanted for that and similar mounts. It should be waiting when I get home from work tomorrow, hope to have the 6071 up and running on the wall tomorrow night!

I'm a little bit excited.
post #192 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but can those speakers be side-mounted instead of underneath? I've always liked them better on the sides. And that's how BB used to distinguish thier "x1" models from the usual, by moving the speakers underneath.

Nope. All xx70 series models have a single under-mounted speaker.
post #193 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Well, I've Googled & Yahooed to the point where I have a headache. Also tried to search here. Even reviewed the 6070 (6070/6071/6072) Manual. Hopefully someone can answer this simple question:

What are the differences between the 6070 and 6071?

Also - any idea when the commercial version of the 6070 will come out?
post #194 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray**W View Post

Well, I've Googled & Yahooed to the point where I have a headache. Also tried to search here. Even reviewed the 6070 (6070/6071/6072) Manual. Hopefully someone can answer this simple question:

What are the differences between the 6070 and 6071?

Also - any idea when the commercial version of the 6070 will come out?

The additional small remote.
post #195 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah-Dee View Post

I decided to order the Omnimount U3-T ("U3TILTMOUNT") from Amazon, using my next-day-delivery-for-$3.99 option on the 'Amazon Prime' trial still running on my account there, to save quite a bit (35-40% after tax figured in) over what CC/BB wanted for that and similar mounts. It should be waiting when I get home from work tomorrow, hope to have the 6071 up and running on the wall tomorrow night!

I'm a little bit excited.

Dah-Dee, I have a small favor to ask. When you get that baby mounted, can you measure the distance from the wall to the front of the plasma? My projection screen rolls down in front of my 5050 right now. I'm hoping to replace the 5050 with the 6070, but I want to make sure the screen will clear the front of the plasma.

Thanks!
post #196 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Nope. All xx70 series models have a single under-mounted speaker.

Doh! Bad design move. I'm glad I'm taking the speaker off.
post #197 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Huh? - no - both the 5060 and 5061 had side mounted speakers. The difference between those two models was the inclusion of both a tabletop stand and a wall mount in the 61.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #198 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And when I say the Pio picture was better I dont mean by just a little, the Pio picture was way better.
Funny thing too, when I got up about 4 feet from the Panny, the picture was almost unwatchable due to so much blocking, however the 6070 still looked smooth and very watchable at that same close distance, before seeing that for myself I would have thought both sets would have been about the same at such a close distance but that was not the case.
Davyo

The problem with the Panny was the vivid mode and/or the signal it was getting. I can stand 18" away from my 58PX600U and it still looks awesome.

I'm not getting into the mine is better than yours battles. I don't really care anymore if the Pioneer is a "better" TV - I'm quite happy with the Panasonic. I just don't think the difference is a much as Dayvo saw. (I'm not doubting what he saw - just questioning the conditions he saw it under.)
post #199 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1117 View Post

I don't really care anymore if the Pioneer is a "better" TV - I'm quite happy with the Panasonic.

And that's all that counts.
post #200 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

The problem with the Panny was the vivid mode and/or the signal it was getting. I can stand 18" away from my 58PX600U and it still looks awesome.

I'm not getting into the mine is better than yours battles. I don't really care anymore if the Pioneer is a "better" TV - I'm quite happy with the Panasonic. I just don't think the difference is a much as Dayvo saw. (I'm not doubting what he saw - just questioning the conditions he saw it under.)

One thing I've learned from upgrading TVs and shopping often. Never rely solely on one viewing from one store and always adjust picture settings. Big box stores can really dish out some horrible feeds at time. Although adjusting picture settings at BB is not so easy since they decided to hide their remotes . I saw the 6070 at BB and to be quite honest the picture looked washed out and black levels weren't up to par with other plasmas around. This was ONE setting though. If I were seriously looking at the Pioneer I'd check out other stores and demand the remote . I'm still at minimum a month way (probably 2) for a purchase so I'll check out all my options more seriously at the time.
post #201 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry "Mike 1117" if my post came of as slamming the 58 inch Panny, that was not my intent.
And you are correct as to the signal and vivid mode question.
To better explain, I have seen more than a few 58 inch Pannys at B.B. and Tweeters over the last few weeks, the 60U and the 600U's, and in every case the blocking was pretty bad, but in defense of the Panny I would say each time was a different feed and I did not know the Pannys settings
So I would agree that it is probably not fair of me to judge and comment on the blocking unless I know the settings of each of the Pannys I looked at.

Davyo
post #202 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Dayvo - No offense taken.
post #203 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry "Mike 1117" if my post came of as slamming the 58 inch Panny, that was not my intent.
And you are correct as to the signal and vivid mode question.
To better explain, I have seen more than a few 58 inch Pannys at B.B. and Tweeters over the last few weeks, the 60U and the 600U's, and in every case the blocking was pretty bad, but in defense of the Panny I would say each time was a different feed and I did not know the Pannys settings
So I would agree that it is probably not fair of me to judge and comment on the blocking unless I know the settings of each of the Pannys I looked at.

Davyo

Davyo, It sounds like the 6070 is going to be a killer TV and I wish you the best with yours. However it's impossible to evaluate a Panasonic plasma at the default settings (which is almost always what they are set to in the stores). I've compared the Pioneers and Pansonics in the 50" size, properly adjusted, and they're both impressive. At the time there was a $1500-2000 premium for the 50" Pioneer and I didn't see any reason to spend the extra money, but had they both been the same price I'd probably still be standing there deadlocked.
Because this issue comes up so often on this site I took a few photos showing a properly adjusted 500U (both in Standard and Vivid Modes) vs. the default Vivid Mode setting (the way they come out-of-the-box) Anyone interested can click on my link and scroll down just past the Bikini Destinations model. The photos are actual cropped screen-shots, not simulations, with the picture menu left on-screen so the exact settings can be clearly seen. It basically shows how really lousy these look at the factory settings, and how easily they're fixed.
Again, good luck with you choice (I envy you that 60" screen).
post #204 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 PM

Well after calling last Friday to be sure the 6071 was gonna be on display, guess what, in typical BB fashion, it wasn't. They actually could sell me one although the set isn't in store yet. The manager then shows me the 1080p FHD1 panel telling me the 6071 is exactly the same just bigger. (uh huh)

They had the 61 on the floor and he mentioned a few sets aren't going on display until they move some other sets. Reading between the lines the 6071 ain't going anywhere near that one or until that model sells off.

I'll call another BB in my area that actually knows what both hands are doing. (hopefully?)

Geez, I'm itching to see this set. They had a Samy LCD 40" hooked up running Blu-Ray demos I was mesmerized by it. I also spent some time looking at the FHD1 which is next to the 1130hd and it definately had the better picture at whatever settings/feed they had. I am not so sure its worth the extra coin though.

Oh well, guess I'll be looking and waiting awhile longer and will for sure be looking for reviews by new owners on here, so post'em up !!
post #205 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 PM

I also, am looking forward to seeing the posts of the new owners of the Pio 6071!!!

Congrats to you all on pulling the trigger on this set. I am sure it will be a great one!

Please post your pics/reviews soon!
post #206 of 7518 Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 PM

Picking my TV up tomorrow and wanted to bump a topic here:

Ceiling Mounts for the 6070.... Any suggestions? Is this a good idea? Anyone have experience?

Almost all ceiling mount threads are about projectors, so any help from this thread would be great!

Lastly, I'm looking through the Break-In thread for any Pioneer specific things... anyone know if there's any special tricks we needs to know for break-in?

I'll post pics as I un-wrap and set-up the tv!

Thanks
-Mike
post #207 of 7518 Old 08-08-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefam View Post

Picking my TV up tomorrow and wanted to bump a topic here:

Ceiling Mounts for the 6070.... Any suggestions? Is this a good idea? Anyone have experience?

Almost all ceiling mount threads are about projectors, so any help from this thread would be great!

Lastly, I'm looking through the Break-In thread for any Pioneer specific things... anyone know if there's any special tricks we needs to know for break-in?

I'll post pics as I un-wrap and set-up the tv!

Thanks
-Mike

I would turn your displays settings down to what D-Nice suggests for breakin, and then just make sure to mix up your content, and try to watch everything full screen for the first 100hrs. Should be simple as that.

As for ceiling mounts, that would concern me due to unwanted stress on the glass from it hanging. I think there is a reason tvs are always sitting up

Dustin
post #208 of 7518 Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 AM

Just got a call from my wife, who's working at home today -- the 6071 has been delivered and is sitting in our dining room! We're still waiting for DHL to deliver the Omnimount U3-T that we're going to use to (hopefully) get the set up on the wall tonight. If we get it up, I'll try to take pictures (and measure for jacksonian)....
post #209 of 7518 Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 AM

ok... let's see some PICTURES!!!

How many people are getting it today??
post #210 of 7518 Old 08-08-2006, 07:35 AM