Official Pioneer PDP-6070HD/5070-1HD/4270HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 7514 Old 12-16-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Hello every one.. I don't know if this is the right thread to talk mounts, but I've checked on other threads and I haven't seen this being discuss.

Has any one with Salamander triple 20 Synergy, mount their Pioneer 5070 with the rear beams they sell?
I would like to hear any feed back on how good it work out, or not! How they place their center channel on top of the counsel etc,etc..

Thanks
Djoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 7514 Old 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 5070 would be perfect at 6-7 ft. : )

I am at 10 feet and wished I bought the 6070....

r

Help would be appreciated. My seating distance is 6-7 feet.[/quote]
post #2253 of 7514 Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, sort of weird question, but Ive been wondering around how much resolution is lost when u set to 'zoom' on an hd channel? Just wondering since I've done it a few times for break in to get rid of those corner logos (e.g. Espn or InHD) and adside from the obvious shape distortion, the actual picture still looks very good. I'm just curious what percentage is 'lost' zooming on an hd feed.

Also, for anyone who gets Universal hd and/or tnt hd, noticed the incorrect ratios for some of the 2:35:1 flicks? Earlier tonight i caught Gladiator and Lotr: Return of the King, and they were both 1:78:1...great to see em in hd of course, but...it's not like their hd dvd versions are cropped... so why the hd broadcasts?
post #2254 of 7514 Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this a problem with the stb or the tv.

found my own answer after searching around a bit more. seems like there is a bug with the SA8300's that cause this. I'm just happy it isn't my tv.

-- berto
post #2255 of 7514 Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 AM

Hi,
Can owners of 5070 who are using their set along with blu-ray or hd-dvd clarify this issue. How much better is pq when using hd-dvd versus normal hi-def channels. Is it on par on with watching hd-dvd on a 52" 1080p lcd? Thanks again.
post #2256 of 7514 Old 12-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Am I correct in that the 5070 will accept the 1080p output from a Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player? From reading the thread, I believe it will but I am a bit confused by the difference between 1080p/24 and 1080p/60.

Thanks...
post #2257 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 04:31 AM

Just a reminder that BB has a 60 day HDTV price guarantee. So far I have been refunded close to $500. I had origially negotiated a $300 reduction in price, so you may be eligible for more (I purchased on Nov 3rd).

Go to the BB website and print out the page with the price, bring your receipt and if the person tells you you are over the 30 days, remind them about the HDTV price guarantee (I brought a BB circular with me -- which I needed the 1st time I went). If they use the store price, you will get a lot less, so make sure you have a print out from the web site.

It's big bucks for a quick visit to BB. Happy Holidays!
post #2258 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtwd View Post

Just a reminder that BB has a 60 day HDTV price guarantee. So far I have been refunded close to $500. I had origially negotiated a $300 reduction in price, so you may be eligible for more (I purchased on Nov 3rd).

Go to the BB website and print out the page with the price, bring your receipt and if the person tells you you are over the 30 days, remind them about the HDTV price guarantee (I brought a BB circular with me -- which I needed the 1st time I went). If they use the store price, you will get a lot less, so make sure you have a print out from the web site.

It's big bucks for a quick visit to BB. Happy Holidays!

Thanks!! I knew about this but have not been watching their website. I bought mine two weeks ago and your reminder will put $350 back into my wallet! I will go at lunch.

Happy Holidays.
Rick
post #2259 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Does anyone have a comparison on the 5070 for HD-DVD PQ:
Toshiba hda1/2 VS. Oppo 970/971/981 VS. xbox306 hd-dvd addon?

Since the 360add on is about the same price as an Oppo, but half the price of the Toshiba, I'm wondering what people are doing for hd-dvd at this point? Up-conversion comparisons are definitely factor as well.

Currently I have an Oppo 971 and have no issues it works great, but for hd-dvd I'm wondering if I should return it an get the Toshiba, or keep it for SD-DVDs and get the XBox addon for HD-DVD. Of course the xboxaddon + oppo = the price of the Toshiba. Someone has to be (or was) in the same boat. What's the general consensus?
post #2260 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wicked in SF View Post

Does anyone have a comparison on the 5070 for HD-DVD PQ:
Toshiba hda1/2 VS. Oppo 970/971/981 VS. xbox306 hd-dvd addon?

Since the 360add on is about the same price as an Oppo, but half the price of the Toshiba, I'm wondering what people are doing for hd-dvd at this point? Up-conversion comparisons are definitely factor as well.

Currently I have an Oppo 971 and have no issues it works great, but for hd-dvd I'm wondering if I should return it an get the Toshiba, or keep it for SD-DVDs and get the XBox addon for HD-DVD. Of course the xboxaddon + oppo = the price of the Toshiba. Someone has to be (or was) in the same boat. What's the general consensus?

I think if you're a big videophile, the Toshiba is your best bet. The 360s lack of HDMI means you're not getting the sharpest picture available... even though they're both even when viewed via component.

No matter how great your DVD player/PC upscales, HD-DVD looks ALOT better than your regular dvd on these 50 inch Plasmas.

I personally think that HD-DVD nor Blu-Ray have made me feel the "need" to jump. Yes, they look awesome, and the sound is great. But DVDs are still pretty good and HDTV and HD Gaming is more than enough for now.

No need to jump into a Format War.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #2261 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
i personally wont be making the jump to hd-dvd until i can walk into a video store and rent an hd-dvd. im not the buying type of dvd person unless ive seen the film already and it warrants a purchase.
post #2262 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Mr Wicked in SF
I was in the same boat as you and decided to go with the toshiba xa1. One of the things that tipped me over the edge was actually the noise of the 360 when playing hd dvd's. It doesn't bother me much for games, but movies is another story. The xa1 is not silent by any means but much much quieter than the 360 with add on. It does a great job upscaling too and I can use hdmi. Also, I am not sure the add on can do true hd audio either. I got my xa1 for a bill higher than the add on so it was a no brainer for me.

As far as making the jump to hd movies. I came from a 36" sony hd crt with a good progressive scan dvd player so my movies were just about as good as it can get. But, I am blown away by the hd dvd movies. Phantom of the Opera is outstanding for one. There is no going back once you have seen it in your own home, and I won't be buying any sd dvd's if I don't have too.

btw these comparisons were made with a kdsr50xbr1 which I had to return due to screen shimmer. I take delivery of the 5070 hopefully tomorrow and I think it will be even better. can't wait!
post #2263 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

i personally wont be making the jump to hd-dvd until i can walk into a video store and rent an hd-dvd. im not the buying type of dvd person unless ive seen the film already and it warrants a purchase.

A Blockbuster I frequent in Freehold, NJ has a Blue-Ray & HD DVD rental section. Both small but growing. Also you can rent online via Netflix or Blockbuster. I think this media will grow faster than people think kind of like CD's in the late 80's and then DVD's in the 90's. Lots of people are buying HDTV's and in my opinion they are starving for a source for those TV's. The cable and satelite companies are not keeping up with demand for source and people will seek it elsewhere. I hate having a fantastic HDTV with only 12 channels of HDTV content, most of it so compressed it barely qualifies as such, and then having 200+ channels of SD that is wasted on this Panel. If their was a dual player out I'd probably buy today.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #2264 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

whoa!
is that ice age 2? I have not seen it yet but I just bought a PS3 so I may have to pick that one up. Looks like an amazing way to show off my blue ray player.
post #2265 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Both are amazing compared to Up Converted DVD

I think your photos may have ruined watching SD DVD's for me. & here I thought I was getting such sharp detailed pictures...
post #2266 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Mr Wicked in SF and jedimastergrant,

One quick question - In regards to using an upconverting DVD player (like the Oppo 971), do you like the picture upconverted using the player or do you get a better picture from letting the 5070 do the upconverting? Can you post any pictures that show the difference?

Many thanks!
Lettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Mr Wicked in SF
I was in the same boat as you and decided to go with the toshiba xa1. One of the things that tipped me over the edge was actually the noise of the 360 when playing hd dvd's. It doesn't bother me much for games, but movies is another story. The xa1 is not silent by any means but much much quieter than the 360 with add on. It does a great job upscaling too and I can use hdmi. Also, I am not sure the add on can do true hd audio either. I got my xa1 for a bill higher than the add on so it was a no brainer for me.

As far as making the jump to hd movies. I came from a 36" sony hd crt with a good progressive scan dvd player so my movies were just about as good as it can get. But, I am blown away by the hd dvd movies. Phantom of the Opera is outstanding for one. There is no going back once you have seen it in your own home, and I won't be buying any sd dvd's if I don't have too.

btw these comparisons were made with a kdsr50xbr1 which I had to return due to screen shimmer. I take delivery of the 5070 hopefully tomorrow and I think it will be even better. can't wait!

post #2267 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 01:55 PM

Just got my PDP-5070 home and hooked up. I need some break -in tips and tricks. Any advice on settings would be sweet. peace and hair grease.
post #2268 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12THEAGLE View Post

Just got my PDP-5070 home and hooked up. I need some break -in tips and tricks. Any advice on settings would be sweet. peace and hair grease.

Go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=731242

...and be sure to thank D-Nice later.
post #2269 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 PM

I have made it through the first 8 pages of this thread and can tell that there is a lot of great information being shared. However, it is so long I am not sure how to find the specific information I need, so please forgive me if this question has already been addressed and I could not find it. I have a Pioneer 5071 and just had the cable card installed. However, neither the cable guy nor I could figure out how to get the channels on my tv to go over double digits. When I try to set a 3 digit channel on the tuner manually, the tv tells me it is an "invalid channel number". When I try to set the channels automatically, they stop after 99. The cable guy tried using ANT A and ANT B and had the same results. He called Comcast to ensure that the channels were enabled in my service package and they were. Does anyone have any idea what my problem is and how to fix it?

EDIT: the TV actually will go past channel 99 to around 111 or 117 (can't remember which one off the top of my head); however, the tv will not go past that range and all my HD channels are in the 180's. is the 5071 tuner capped at 111 for some reason? when i enter a number like 186, i end up at channel 86. when i try to manually add channels to the list in teh tuner menu, it says channels with high numbers like 186 are invalid

On a separate note, can anyone point me to information explaining how I can get television signals in both picture boxes for the split screen function (PIP)? I thought the tv had dual tuners, but maybe it does not. I have a DVD player and a VCR I could use, but I am not sure how to set them up to give me two signals for PIP with the cable card. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
post #2270 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Hey guys, just got the 5070 a week ago from Invision. I love the tv. I just hooked up the 1016 receiver this weekend and have had problems with a blank screen. I'm posting here b/c I figure I'll get more 5070 owners than if I post in the audio section.
Here's the connections:
STB - DVI to HDMI cable running to receiver
rca's from stb to receiver as well

dvd player is panny f87 - running components to receiver and components from receiver to tv

also running HDMI cable from receiver to tv and optical from tv to receiver (since receiver is a passthrough)

I only get the blank screen with the cable box, so far that is. I get audio but from time to time the screen goes blank. Pioneer suggested it may be the cable. I am hooking the dvi to hdmi cable up directly to the tv and gonna give this at least a day to see if it's the cable or the receiver. just wondering if anyone has come across this problem b/c Pioneer had never heard of it before.
post #2271 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Lettman 12,
I can't really help because I don't own the oppo. I have actually posted a similar question before, exept I was asking if people thought the xa1 did a better job at upscaling than the 5070. I never got a reply, but reading through past posts it looks like there is some debate. Most people seem to agree that the 5070 is better than a low end upscaling dvd player, But the oppo and xa1 are not low end. I suppose I will just change my output settings and see for myself. My tv should get here tomorrow. My previous comments on the xa1 were done using my old kdsr50xbr1.
post #2272 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks, what about burn in prevention? someone told me there was a disc i could buy?
post #2273 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12THEAGLE View Post

Thanks, what about burn in prevention? someone told me there was a disc i could buy?

i can't post a link because my post count is too low. however there is a stickied thread above this one that tells you how to download a break-in DVD. it's called "master burn-in/break-in thread". is that what you were looking for?
post #2274 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks jedimastergrant - Please do let me know your findings when you perform your tests. Very much appreciated!!

Anyone with an Oppo DVD player want to chime in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Lettman 12,
I can't really help because I don't own the oppo. I have actually posted a similar question before, exept I was asking if people thought the xa1 did a better job at upscaling than the 5070. I never got a reply, but reading through past posts it looks like there is some debate. Most people seem to agree that the 5070 is better than a low end upscaling dvd player, But the oppo and xa1 are not low end. I suppose I will just change my output settings and see for myself. My tv should get here tomorrow. My previous comments on the xa1 were done using my old kdsr50xbr1.

post #2275 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM

Great forum, great thread! I have still been unable to find the answer to my dilemma so I'll post new. Apologies in advance if it's a duplicate.

-5071 purchased from BB day after Thanksgiving
-Denon DVD in HDMI input 5
-Comcast cable in HDMI input 6

When I hit "home menu" with HDMI inputs selected the "tuner setup" option is subdued, unavailable. "Current settings do not allow selection or adjustment" I urgently need to get close caption to work with my HDMI inputs. What the heck am I missing? I scoured the thread AND my owners manual.
post #2276 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster Permits View Post

Great forum, great thread! I have still been unable to find the answer to my dilemma so I'll post new. Apologies in advance if it's a duplicate.

-5071 purchased from BB day after Thanksgiving for $2700
-Denon DVD in HDMI input 5
-Comcast cable in HDMI input 6

When I hit "home menu" with HDMI inputs selected the "tuner setup" option is subdued, unavailable. "Current setting do not allow selection or adjustment" I urgently need to get close caption to work with my HDMI inputs. What the heck am I missing? I scoured the thread AND my owners manual.

What happened with not posting pricing? I am assuming it was $2700 plus tax, so it would be more than what you are advertising. Please refrain from posting costs. Thank you.

Roman
Invision Displays - A FORUM SPONSOR
post #2277 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettman12 View Post

Mr Wicked in SF and jedimastergrant,
One quick question - In regards to using an upconverting DVD player (like the Oppo 971), do you like the picture upconverted using the player or do you get a better picture from letting the 5070 do the upconverting? Can you post any pictures that show the difference?
Many thanks!
Lettman

Pioneer scaler is pretty good in the 5070HD, so odds are you would be better of letting the 5070HD upscale. Test it yourself though and see what you think and let us know your results.
post #2278 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Like to hear if any one have their 5070/1 on those Salamander beams for the synergy line. the ones that go on the rear of the console

How it worked out for he,or she.
I am considering going that route,but would like to hear any feed back.

Thank you

Djoel
post #2279 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Hi all,

I just got back from best buy tonight, and have a 5071 arriving Saturday! I ended up getting it for what forum sponsors were asking, only with tax offsetting it to make it ~100-150ish more. Great deal, and piece of mind that if I have a bad pixel I have 30 days to replace the set as much as needed, (also eases the mind about old buzzing reports).

I guess I just have a few questions while preparing. When it comes to a stand, is there a good one that you can use that secures the plasma to the top of the stand so you dont have to worry about it falling over on curious toddlers? All of the stands I saw at BB appeared to not have any areas to secure the small plasma stand to the top of it. Also, I would like to order some HDMI cables, and maybe a set of component cables online, but I have no idea what type of cable to order. Could someone provide me a link to a monoprice cable that is good? All of the different ratings/etc, as well as the end addapters are confusing me, (do I need male to male, female to male, etc?). Thanks to anyone who can help me out with these basic questions. This is my first jump into HD land, so I am kind of drowning in the middle of it all.

Dustin
post #2280 of 7514 Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 PM

I got my 5070 today from Invision. It is all setup and I am watching Discovery HD right now and it is amazing! Roman at Invision was great. He even helped me out on a Saturday morning, the day after that huge storm in the Pacific NW where they are located. Thanks, Roman!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page