Official D-Nice Pioneer 6th/7th Generation Settings Thread!!!! - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1976 Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vneally View Post

I am really sorry to ask this but after reading several pages I still can't figure out for sure what the break in settings are for my 5071 watching D*. I thought I had them correct but my contrast was on 35 and I read a post were that was too high. Thanks to anyone that would help me.

Also check out post 1230...brief, but to the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1976 Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottoms View Post

Here is how to get to the Service Menu...
(this works with xx60 series, and elites so I assume it works with xx70 series as well)

Start with the plasma turned OFF.

Press DISPLAY on the remote
(just press, do not hold).
Wait 3 seconds.
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER (on the remote).

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is
displayed.

Has anyone with a 6070 been able to make this work or is there different set of codes to use?

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
post #1263 of 1976 Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post

Has anyone with a 6070 been able to make this work or is there different set of codes to use?

Same codes. Make sure you are starting in standby mode on the TV set, and make sure you are pointing the remote at the lower right hand corner of the set. The code sequence is timing sensitive, so keep at it and you will get it.

One other note...on the left up left right power sequence, DO NOT wait 3 seconds inbetween each...just on the initial press of the display button .
Dustin
post #1264 of 1976 Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks Dustin, I will make a few more stabs at it. Is the wait exactly three seconds? I've tried ~3 seconds and a second or two longer after pressing "display" but no dice. Does distance make a difference here too? Maybe I am too far back?

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
post #1265 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Are there any service menu settings we can do to improve picture quality.
post #1266 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post

Thanks Dustin, I will make a few more stabs at it. Is the wait exactly three seconds? I've tried ~3 seconds and a second or two longer after pressing "display" but no dice. Does distance make a difference here too? Maybe I am too far back?

I usually access the menu a few feet away from the TV, and make sure I am pointing in the direction of the sensor on the TV itself. ~3 seconds is fine, a little over should be fine too...anything shorter might not register.
post #1267 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinje View Post

Are there any service menu settings we can do to improve picture quality.

There are a few tweaks in the service menu that you can do to calibrate your set more, as color temp/etc. The problem is you can potentially do much more harm than good to your set if you don't know what your doing. If you play with your service menu settings, make sure you know exactly what you are doing.
post #1268 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph View Post

I'm almost sorry we contaminated this thread with all the break-in postings because we're fixated on a single setting. From what I understand from all of this is pixels are more susceptible to retaining an image early in their life than later and some of us are using the uniform changing images on a burn-in disk to arrive at an hourly figure where pixels are estimated to be less susceptible to retaining an image. A higher contrast setting within reason and 35 is certainly within reason will get you to that figure somewhat sooner. You aren't going to screw up your plasma if the contrast is set on 35 instead of 34 or 33 or...

The important thing is to have a full screen (16x9) changing image. No station logos. No news banners at the bottom. No letter boxed images. No constant anything until you have some hours on the set. Watch a few hundred hours of DiscoveryHD or any station that has a changing full screen or zoomed image with no logos or use the burn in disk. Because it took a few days for D* to run a source to where I wanted my 1140 I was able to just run the burn-in disk for a few hundred with the set setting in the bottom part of he shipping box. My contrast was in the mid 30's. Other than not pausing the set for loooong periods, I watch what I want and I have never experienced any problem that is noticeable in regular viewing. By regular viewing I mean that I don't go looking for things that may be wrong.

I've been very thankful for the settings in this thread. I think alot of people (myself included) were fairly new to this, and having a good starting point puts our minds to ease a bit. D-Nice, and others in this thread, have helped us with those starting points. There are specific reasons to break in a set, and how to break it in, and those reasons have been covered again and again here and in other threads. All will not choose to follow them, or agree with the reasons to do the break in, and that is OK. I'm a bit more on the conservative side, so I prefer to take whatever precautions I can to avoid IR/BI.

As in every aspect of life, your mileage will vary. Everyone uses their panels differently - I currently am using a contrast of around 20 after breakin and I just don't feel the need to increase it yet. The picture is outstanding. Others would think that way too low. I guess the point is do what you want with your toy, but if you want a starting point for a breakin procedure to reduce IR/BI, this is a fantastic resource for it.
post #1269 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Ok figured out how to do it. I also viewed it at 720p and the picture looks better. Do you guys get the same results?

I am having the same problem. How did you get it to switch from 480p
post #1270 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:

My 970 just came in today. I am using it with the Pioneer 6070. I have it hooked up via HDMI. Whenever I press the display button on the pioneer it says 480p. How do i make it 480i? Also.... I am using the d-nice 971 settings but i think the picture could be tweaked a bit more. What kind of settings are you guys using on both the panel and player with this combo?

Thanks

Sorry. My previous post was directed towards the problem described above.
post #1271 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Your need to check the output configuration on the 970. Read the manual for instructions on how to do it.
post #1272 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyah View Post

Hit stop on the oppo to make sure that the Oppo is not playing then hit the HDMI button on the bottom left of the controller.
post #1273 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyah View Post

Press the Stop button twice. Change the output with the HDMI button on the remote. As D-Nice says, it's in the manual.

Good way to support the troops.
www.anysoldier.com
post #1274 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks,

I found it. It did not mention pressing stop on the page that discussed the output selection. It was mentioned once in the beginning of the manual.
post #1275 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello:

I just finished setting up my new 940HD. I have a SA8300HD PVR feeding via HDMI into a Denon 4306 feeding via HDMI into the 940HD.

SA8300 has all resolutions selected and the Denon is set to pass through the source resolution.

I configured the 940HD in accordance with the YELLOW settings from page 1 for the unit and cable box (since my DVD players are not listed).

Turned on Discovery HD and WOW. What a picture!!! It blows my previous Westy 42w2 1080p away (say hello to my new PC monitor).

D-Nice and everyone who contributes....THANKS. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Once I am through my burn in I am going to have the unit professionally calibrated. I can hardly wait.

Thanks again,
Splotto
post #1276 of 1976 Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 PM

I have a question which might have already been answered (there are 43 pages to go thru!).

I have a 5070. All of D-Nice's settings have an AV Selection: User. I already have that set to something else already. What if I use AV Selection: Game and change the settings to match D-Nice's exactly, would it be the same? (I know this may be a stupid question, but I just want to make sure.) Besides Dynamic, if I use any AV Selection and match it with D-Nice's settings would it be the same as D-Nice's setting in AV Selection: User? Or are the different AV Selections somehow different in a way that is not reflected in the changeable settings?

Thanks.
post #1277 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hello:

Of course, now that my 940 is up and running, I have slipped into Full IR Paranoid Mode(tm).

I walked out to the living room this morning to find my wife watching Turner Classic Movies. After diving toward the remote to change channels and nearly killing a cat, I realized I might be over-reacting.

So a few burn-in questions:

1. During the burn in period, is it ok to watch black and white movies? I know the levels still vary but I wasn't sure if B&W was ok.

2. Is it ok to watch HD & SD DVD's even though I am using a DVD player that is not on the list and I am using the YELLOW settings. I am using a PS3 and XBOX for HD/SD DVD's.

Splotto
post #1278 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad72 View Post

I have a question which might have already been answered (there are 43 pages to go thru!).

I have a 5070. All of D-Nice's settings have an AV Selection: User. I already have that set to something else already. What if I use AV Selection: Game and change the settings to match D-Nice's exactly, would it be the same? (I know this may be a stupid question, but I just want to make sure.) Besides Dynamic, if I use any AV Selection and match it with D-Nice's settings would it be the same as D-Nice's setting in AV Selection: User? Or are the different AV Selections somehow different in a way that is not reflected in the changeable settings?

Thanks.

Some of the settings you cannot do adjustments to, such as Dynamic. The unique thing about the User setting is that the TV retains the User setting for each individual input on the set. Due to this, you can set seperate user settings for EVERY input you have if you desire to do so. You can mess around with the game settings, but IIRC they are global settings, (ie same for all inputs), with the contrast dialed down to minimize chances of IR.

Is the reason you want to tweak game settings because you are using a gaming system for movies and games, and want different settings for each?

Dustin
post #1279 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post

Hello:

Of course, now that my 940 is up and running, I have slipped into Full IR Paranoid Mode(tm).

I walked out to the living room this morning to find my wife watching Turner Classic Movies. After diving toward the remote to change channels and nearly killing a cat, I realized I might be over-reacting.

So a few burn-in questions:

1. During the burn in period, is it ok to watch black and white movies? I know the levels still vary but I wasn't sure if B&W was ok.

2. Is it ok to watch HD & SD DVD's even though I am using a DVD player that is not on the list and I am using the YELLOW settings. I am using a PS3 and XBOX for HD/SD DVD's.

Splotto

1. Yes, it is ok to watch B&W movies from time to time during breakin. I wouldn't watch a ton as I would want to make sure I age all color phosphors as evenly as possible early on, but a B&W here and there won't hurt it.

2. Hehe yes, that is ok as well. As a matter of fact, if you scroll up a few pages, you will see a few members that posted some PS3 settings that look pretty good with the 5070. Yellow settings are fine, and what you want to use. Just keep these in mind: Full screen, no more than 10% of your breakin time should be used with static images or logos (less the better), and stay out of dynamic mode.
post #1280 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Actually B&W pictures are better as all three colors (Red, Greeen, Blue) are active to create white.
post #1281 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad72 View Post

Thanks.

Not all AV selections are the same. Some have different gamma curves, color saturation levels, etc. User and Standard are the same. All others are different.
post #1282 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Actually B&W pictures are better as all three colors (Red, Greeen, Blue) are active to create white.

I was more concerned about the black. Wouldn't it be easier to get uneven wear or delayed aging due to more black being present than a standard movie/show?
post #1283 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post

After diving toward the remote to change channels and nearly killing a cat, I realized I might be over-reacting.....

I have done this so many times (both over-reacting and almost killing the cat). I want to banish the furball from the TV room, but he always finds a way to weasel his way back in. I'm lucky; he is too lazy to be destructive; but I can just see him making a full speed lunge at the set!
post #1284 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoZorro View Post

I have done this so many times (both over-reacting and almost killing the cat). I want to banish the furball from the TV room, but he always finds a way to weasel his way back in. I'm lucky; he is too lazy to be destructive; but I can just see him making a full speed lunge at the set!

Just don't watch anything with a mouse on the screen and you should be fine...heck...try a show with dogs and see if he runs the other way .
post #1285 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Just don't watch anything with a mouse on the screen and you should be fine...heck...try a show with dogs and see if he runs the other way .

LOL - I complain but I love the furball! If I can't banish him from the bedroom, I have zero chance of keeping him out of the TV room. After all, he is family!
post #1286 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was more concerned about the black. Wouldn't it be easier to get uneven wear or delayed aging due to more black being present than a standard movie/show?

Well......not really. B&W shows are just like color ones....they both contain black areas. Since no B&W scene is static for more than a few seconds, there is no harm done.
post #1287 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

1. Yes, it is ok to watch B&W movies from time to time during breakin. I wouldn't watch a ton as I would want to make sure I age all color phosphors as evenly as possible early on, but a B&W here and there won't hurt it.

2. Hehe yes, that is ok as well. As a matter of fact, if you scroll up a few pages, you will see a few members that posted some PS3 settings that look pretty good with the 5070. Yellow settings are fine, and what you want to use. Just keep these in mind: Full screen, no more than 10% of your breakin time should be used with static images or logos (less the better), and stay out of dynamic mode.

Thanks for the feedback.

Splotto
post #1288 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Whew. :-)

Splotto
post #1289 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoZorro View Post

LOL - I complain but I love the furball! If I can't banish him from the bedroom, I have zero chance of keeping him out of the TV room. After all, he is family!

As long as none of them decide to climb up the screen, I am fine.

They actually enjoy the empty TV box much more. :-)
post #1290 of 1976 Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks Dustin and D-Nice.

Yes I'm using the xbox 360/hd dvd for games and movies.

I guess I should have realized that the different AV Selections were different. I tried using your settings in the AV Selection: Movie and it didn't look the same as in User. Is there a way to make them similar, or am I asking for trouble?

Another question, are the Power settings Global (Standard, Save1, Save2)? It seems so.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page