PANASONIC 65" 1080p PLASMA (TH-65PX600U) Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 743 Old 11-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me distance between the wall attachment holes on the mounting frame used with this TV? I am framing out a TV room and need to know how to space the studs (4 x 4's) to accommodate mounting this TV. The specs show a distance of 42.3 inches between supports on the TV itself, but I'm concerned the actual mounting bracket may be different.

Thanks
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 743 Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Can someone tell me distance between the wall attachment holes on the mounting frame used with this TV? I am framing out a TV room and need to know how to space the studs (4 x 4's) to accommodate mounting this TV. The specs show a distance of 42.3 inches between supports on the TV itself, but I'm concerned the actual mounting bracket may be different.

Thanks
Ray

It depends on which mount you buy. There are many mounts that fit. A lot of people have the peerless or the Chief.
post #363 of 743 Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownman6 View Post

It depends on which mount you buy. There are many mounts that fit. A lot of people have the peerless or the Chief.

Thanks. Checked the web sites for those units and they apparently mount on the standard 16inch on center studs. Makes sense since they need to accommodate whats already there in most cases. Thanks for the lead.

Ray
post #364 of 743 Old 11-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Alright so today, we finally persuaded my dad to pull the trigger. We were there llike for about 2 hrs trying to negotiate. Got the panny, tv stand, optional speaker, and 4 yr warranty. Magnolia was running a promotion. Problem is.....they dont have the tv stand in stock, we need to wait for at least 3 weeks. My dad was little bit tick off about that. Overall I believe we got an awesome deal for the whole package. I even got X-Men: The Last Stand and Italian Job Blue-Ray DVD for free even though I dont have a Blue-Ray player yet. I guess I will see you guys in about 3 weeks......
post #365 of 743 Old 11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

Alright so today, we finally persuaded my dad to pull the trigger. We were there llike for about 2 hrs trying to negotiate. Got the panny, tv stand, optional speaker, and 4 yr warranty. Magnolia was running a promotion. Problem is.....they dont have the tv stand in stock, we need to wait for at least 3 weeks. My dad was little bit tick off about that. Overall I believe we got an awesome deal for the whole package. I even got X-Men: The Last Stand and Italian Job Blue-Ray DVD for free even though I dont have a Blue-Ray player yet. I guess I will see you guys in about 3 weeks......

Congratulations. It's a fine set and so far has brought me many hours of joyful viewing.

Even though I'm using the commercial stand with my set, I'm very critical about Panasonic and the way they handled this pedestal stand issue.

1: It should have been included with the set.

Or

2: It should have been made available at the same time as the set.

Somebody at Panasonic screwed up big time, especially if Magnolia is telling you it will be three more weeks before it is available. When I received my set in early October, the stand was supposed to be available by the middle of October, at the latest. Then that was changed to the middle of November. Now, it sounds like the beginning of December is the new target date. If my set was sitting in my house for two months with no stand to put it on, I'd be royally pissed off.

What's incredible to me is that the 65 inch 600u is modeled after the 65 inch 500 which was released in Japan last year at this time. Wouldn't the stands for those older set be a workable solution for the new sets? If they are, somebody should have had the foresight to pair them up and give people the complete package if they want it that way.

I notice on Panasonic's website that the stand is not available for purchase. Incredible.
post #366 of 743 Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

Thanks to Franchot's advice, I purchased the commercial stand for the 600U. This was in early November. Very glad I did given the further delay which is totally unexceptable given Panny's otherwise good reputation. Several things to note if you want to use the commercial stand: 1. I bought mine from Visual Apex and had overnight delivery from WA to FL. Delivered price was ~$1000. 2. Most important is you need to do a little "do it yourself" work to make the commercial stand very stable in supporting the consumer model. There are 4 support posts on the stand; 2 short ones and 2 ~ 2 foot tall support posts that bolt to the back. Only the short ones are available to support the set when first placed on the stand. IMO this is only a short term solution since in will sway back and forth by 2" on so if you try to move it. I fabricated extentions for the 2' tall support posts from materials available at Lowes. I bought 2 pieces of red oak and cut these down to be 1" thick by 2" wide and 1 foot long. This was then clad with a 1/8" thick by 2" wide piece of aluminum for the back and 1/16 x 1" wide strips of aluminum for each side. All glued to the wood using Girilla Glue. Finished products looks like pieces of forged aluminum. With deminsions specified the new "aluminum" posts will fit inside the 2 foot support posts. The 1' extentions are bolted to the base of the stand in the slots for the 2' supports and the 2' suppotrs slide over them. this arrangement allows the 2' supports to be moved up or down so that all 4 bolt holds in them can be attached to the set. End product is as sturdy/rigid as the 50" 6UY monitor and table stand the 600U replaced. I also like the looks of the dark gray stand much better than the silver. Good Luck
post #367 of 743 Old 11-20-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Thanks
Ray

The distance is 42.3" (from the Panny cut sheet). Most mounts mount on 16" (or 24" with special bracket) stud centers. I bought mine from Superior TV Mount and had it mounted on 3 studs (a little more secure?). Most 16" mounts have the center of the set between the studs and only can adjust it 3-4" left and right of that. I wanted the center almost directly on a stud. This mount works and looks great, plus it has almost unlimited left and right adjustments. Walt, the owner of Superior was very nice and helpful in getting this 'custom' creation. Plus it took him less than a week to get it to me!
post #368 of 743 Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Well I finally got the panny up on the wall on Friday. I picked up this unit at a Tweeter in Delaware, so I saved the tax and it was on sale better than Magnolia had it. The service plan was also 300 dollars less and 1 year more than Mag. I went with the Chief PNR mount and it works great and was 1/2 the price of the panny stand. I was so surprised by how easy it was to get mounted (outside of the weight). If you do get a mount, go out and get the best stud finder that you can find (I found one that shows the center point on a stud). I highly recommend the PNR mount.

I love the picture in HD but am still having problems with channels in SD on Directv. Some channels look good and others are aweful and I see this blocky band around the edge of the screen. I did pick up the Panasonic Blu-ray player which is great. I was watching Tears of the Sun and the detail was amazing. Also the surround sound was so much better than the regular dvd.
post #369 of 743 Old 11-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Got tired of being on the pre-order waiting list, with the warranty available on the TH-65PF9UK, I made the switch. Called Visual Apex and it's shipped already, just hope it doesn't get banged up coming across the country.

Thankx for all the info,
rb
post #370 of 743 Old 11-22-2006, 05:58 AM

I just had my px600 delivered a couple days ago and have got a couple people coming over tonight to help me lift this monster onto the Peerless 680. My cables haven't come yet and was wondering if anybody has accessed the inputs on the px600 after the unit was hung. It looks like I should have about 4" of play, but could always tilt it back for a little extra room.
post #371 of 743 Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbj9 View Post

Got tired of being on the pre-order waiting list, with the warranty available on the TH-65PF9UK, I made the switch. Called Visual Apex and it's shipped already, just hope it doesn't get banged up coming across the country.

Thankx for all the info,
rb

Did the same. The plasma made it cross country in great shape. I'm glad I ended the torturous wait.
post #372 of 743 Old 11-23-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbj9 View Post

Thankx for all the info,
rb

I got tired of waiting for the TH65PX600U stand to become available and ordered the TH-65PF9UK from Visual Apex on 11/16. It arrived yesterday 11/22 and they carried it into the house and helped me remove the top of the carton to check for damage. My son and I mounted it on the stand and set it on the glass table. It is fabulous, comes with a 5 year on-site warranty and I saved a bundle!
post #373 of 743 Old 11-23-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (jimc) View Post

I just had my px600 delivered a couple days ago and have got a couple people coming over tonight to help me lift this monster onto the Peerless 680. My cables haven't come yet and was wondering if anybody has accessed the inputs on the px600 after the unit was hung. It looks like I should have about 4" of play, but could always tilt it back for a little extra room.

I have the commercial unit but it has the same dimensions. I also have the same wall mount. I got the tilt just out of the concern that you have about cable access. I've never used the tilt. There is plenty of room, once you get it on the wall, to access the connections.
post #374 of 743 Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I have the commercial unit but it has the same dimensions. I also have the same wall mount. I got the tilt just out of the concern that you have about cable access. I've never used the tilt. There is plenty of room, once you get it on the wall, to access the connections.

Thanks Jack, I got it up on the wall yesterday, tilted it back, and there is plenty of room. Cables aren't suppose to come in till tomorrow. My D-TV, and DVD are going through my Onkyo and coming out on a S-Video till the cables arrive. (Older model/no HDMI)

Is there a run time on these PDP's or do you just keep track of it yourself for the break-in period? I didn't see any in the menu.

Happy Thanksgiving!
post #375 of 743 Old 11-23-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (jimc) View Post

Thanks Jack, I got it up on the wall yesterday, tilted it back, and there is plenty of room. Cables aren't suppose to come in till tomorrow. My D-TV, and DVD are going through my Onkyo and coming out on a S-Video till the cables arrive. (Older model/no HDMI)

Is there a run time on these PDP's or do you just keep track of it yourself for the break-in period? I didn't see any in the menu.

Happy Thanksgiving!

You have to go into the service menu to see the hours used. If you don't know how to do that, go to Bruzzi's FAQ. you'll find it there.
post #376 of 743 Old 11-24-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Several owners purchased the HQV benchmark DVD a while back. I don't recall seeing any reports of findings relative to the 65" 1080p Panny?

What are your findings?
post #377 of 743 Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM

about 1080p output. I dont know if any of you own Xbox 360's but 1080p output for games was recently enabled. Can this 65 inch bad boy output 1080p either from its VGA input or its component inputs? The Xbox 360 doesnt have HDMI output yet so that's why I was asking. Thanks!
post #378 of 743 Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce007 View Post

about 1080p output. I dont know if any of you own Xbox 360's but 1080p output for games was recently enabled. Can this 65 inch bad boy output 1080p either from its VGA input or its component inputs? The Xbox 360 doesnt have HDMI output yet so that's why I was asking. Thanks!

The 65" 600U will not accept 1080p over either one. PC max input is something like 1280x1024. Component is 1080i. NOTE however that the set will scale everything to 1080p. It's scaler and deinterlacing capabilities are likely to be better than the xbox's.
post #379 of 743 Old 11-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Saw it today at BrandsMart - Atlanta, $9200.
post #380 of 743 Old 11-24-2006, 10:40 PM

dsinger, thanks a lot for answering my questions. The 360's scalers work excellently and will automatically adapt to the tv's native resolution. Problem is, as you said, component only does 1080i and Im VERY disappointed that the VGA input can only do 1280 x 1024. For a tv that costs that much, I really hope I can put the blame on HDCP instead of Panny for not making a good enough tv. To upscale 1080i to 1080p when my 360 natively outputs in 1080p, I mean, it's tiny hit in quality and highly unnecessary. I cant believe that there isnt a 1080p plasma out there that cant do 1080p via its PC input. I hope we can see more 1080p plasmas at the next CES or at least Microsoft finally releasing an HDMI cable. Thanks for your help!
post #381 of 743 Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce007 View Post

dsinger, thanks a lot for answering my questions. The 360's scalers work excellently and will automatically adapt to the tv's native resolution. Problem is, as you said, component only does 1080i and Im VERY disappointed that the VGA input can only do 1280 x 1024. For a tv that costs that much, I really hope I can put the blame on HDCP instead of Panny for not making a good enough tv. To upscale 1080i to 1080p when my 360 natively outputs in 1080p, I mean, it's tiny hit in quality and highly unnecessary. I cant believe that there isnt a 1080p plasma out there that cant do 1080p via its PC input. I hope we can see more 1080p plasmas at the next CES or at least Microsoft finally releasing an HDMI cable. Thanks for your help!

Forgot to mention that the commercial model (see 65" 9UK thread) will accept 1080p over DVI. Not sure about PC input on this unit but the 50" 6UY I used to have would accept 1080p over PC imput. Check the Visual Apex website (above link) for some details. $ are less than 600U.
post #382 of 743 Old 11-25-2006, 07:25 AM

New member with a Compatability question for all you expert owners out there...
The Pany TH65px600 accepts hdmi input, but exactly which version of protocols will it accept? Does it work with the new Toshiba HD-XA2's v1.3 HDMI?
Thanks!
post #383 of 743 Old 11-26-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Jsf, interesting observations. I was shocked to see you mention a Magnolia/BB had the 65" 1080p on display. Which store was this? I'm hoping mine will get them on display soon!

Ken, it is finally displayed at Magnolia in Westbury. Saw it this weekend. Not sure if it is near you.
post #384 of 743 Old 11-26-2006, 06:16 PM

NWC Old Country Road and the Meadowbrook across from the 666 building.

Only problem is they have it in a room with doors that have glass and the light from the parking lot hits the screen during mid-day.
post #385 of 743 Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownman6 View Post

Ken, it is finally displayed at Magnolia in Westbury. Saw it this weekend. Not sure if it is near you.

Great!!! Thanks for the heads-up! How did it look and what did they have hooked up to it? I'll get out there possibly tomorrow since it is pretty close to me.

Jongoldman, I saw the setup at 6th Ave and commented in another thread how poorly displayed the unit was. It's almost incomprehensible that they had their most expensive panel bathed in outdoor sunlight...amazing!
post #386 of 743 Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 PM

After going to 6th Ave I almost went for the 70" SXRD Sony, but then decided that the plasma was the way to go. It looked slightly better than the Sony, with the backlight problem. The Sony still had a pixelated feel to it.

Unfortunately they were playing a Blu-Ray movie on the Panasonic (Eight Below) which didn't look that great. When I stopped and restarted it and saw the 1080P trailers - the set really shined. I told the sales rep he should get some shades, get the Discover HD channel on it and just play a good Blu-Ray demo loop rather than the movie (he agreed).

I have an Anthem D2 (which I haven't used yet) to run in front of it, so I think I'll be pretty happy.
post #387 of 743 Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Well thanks to Crownman I went down to the Magnolia store at BB to see the Panny today. The Magnolia display, though far from ideal, was FAR better than the 6th Ave Electronics display that was bathed in outdoor light. I began to see an inkling of what this beauty is capable of. Unfortunately the Panny was hooked up to the BB demo loop and many parts of it were fairly pixellated. I learned (no surprise) that the majority of this BB loop comes from D*....so that's why I saw the same compression and bitrate flaws that I used to see at home before I dropped D* in favor of FIOS!

However, with the better parts of the loop, the display looked wonderful. Colors were virtually as good as the 60" Pioneer at the other side of the Magnolia display and the size was quite impressive. Although it didn't look as big as I thought in the store, you just know this thing will look huge when you get it home. The store is planning a BR hookup by the weekend as they await the Panny stand.

I know you guys will think I'm nuts, but to my eyes the display looked best in the "Vivid" mode. Although I was initially disappointed by the black levels, the blacks really shaped up when I either went with the black level set to 'high' or the black level set to 'low' but with the brightness dropped to about -5. I really found that by doing this the picture attained a much greater depth and the blacks were pretty much on par with the 60" Pioneer....which is quite good. I know there was a bit of black crush with these settings, but I didn't spend too much time trying to attain the ideal compromise. What I found interesting and I'd like to hear from owners, is that I saw no evidence of 'clay face' with the picture set to 'vivid'. I did see a bit of an increase in chroma noise in solid areas of color, but I didn't play with the controls to see if I could dial this out.

I would love to see this unit with the BR player as the source. What really made me look forward to that was the fact that I saw the 58" Panny here with a BR feed and the picture was stunning. I have never been really wowed by the 58" Panny, but with this high quality source my perspective of this set totally changed. You begin to realize how bad the BB demo loop is when you see a high quality source in the same store. You just can't overemphasize the importance of good source material.

I found myself far more impressed with the 65" Panasonic than I was of the 50" Pioneer FHD1 on another wall in the same Magnolia. Although the Pioneer picture looked very very nice, the tremendous difference in size simply couldn't be overlooked. The 65" is just so much more cinematic. I also found with the settings I described above, I was able to achieve better black levels than the Pioneer FHD1 and therefore more 'pop' and depth to the picture. Keep in mind that the Pioneer was being fed the BR Pioneer demo loop via a Pioneer BR player and the Panny the pretty poor BB/D* loop.

I have no doubt that when fed the same quality source, the Panny will be simply jaw-dropping and enveloping. Congrats to all of your lucky owners!
post #388 of 743 Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My apologies, but so much has been written including guessetimates/rumours prior to shipped product...so now that the consumer version and the commerrical version of the Panansonic 65 inch plasmas have both shipped, what are the actual net features/capability differences between them (i.e. HDMI v1.3, 1080p 24 fps, etc.)?

Thanks!

Murray Kerdman
post #389 of 743 Old 11-27-2006, 06:19 PM

I second everything Ken Ross said (I was there at noon, must have missed him).

They were showing Brothers Grimm on the 58" Panny in Blu-Ray; lighting was great; it looked outstanding.

There was a lot of pixelating on the Direct TV feed into the 65", the Blu-Ray onto the 50" Pioneer looked terrific even from 2 feet away. They finally figured out that Apollo 13 was just about the worst movie to demo.
post #390 of 743 Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I was finally able to see the Panny 65" today at Magnolia after the set had a good Isf calibration. The picture was excellent. Great color, great black level, very high quality picture. It looked just like my calibtrated 50PHD7UY only much, much bigger. It was being fed by the Panny BD player playing 8 Below and it looked very good, other than the slight noice I see in most BD movies. If you have the cash, I highly recommend this until. It really outshined the FDH-1 which was next to it. That decision is really a no brainer for me. If you have the space for a unit this big, get it. he 50" size just can't compare. It is way too expensive for me and I will wait until the price drops further on the commercial until whose styling I much prefer. It is amazing to see what this baby can do when fed a good HD feed. While the size is lost ina huge showroom, it will look immense in my theater room.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page