post #451 of 743 Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Ken, are you sure that contrast was setup correctly?

Reason for my asking is that I can force my Pioneer 6070 to look that way by lowering contrast. Which might go back to other comments about the FHD1's ANSI contrast being lower due to higher black levels.

Jim, I did pull up the contrast to the point that it should have been poppy. Your 6070 has far more pop IMO than the FH1. Everytime I've seen the Pioneer 60" units I've loved them. They've got pop in addition to the color pallete that Pioneer is known for. But I never get that same kick from the FHD1. I may be in a minority, but that's just how I've always seen it. I can certainly see the very smooth and silky picture the FHD1 puts out, but beyond that the picture loses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 743 Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ken, I'll go buy some br movie just for a demo...any suggestions as to a good br demo?
post #453 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Ok, Followed your advice Ken, spent, holy moly $35, on a BR disc of The XMen, Last Stand and took it over to Magnolia for a look (Unbelievable the only movie they had was that awful 8Below), and I liked it. No, not quite the 3 Dimensionality I saw in the Pioneer, but still pretty good, (funny how it's better in some scenes than others) And no, not quite the scaler of the Fujitsu/Runcos...still saw 'some' blur say on mens ties when moving moderate speed for instance. But not bad, and not bad for $10k comparing to the Fujitsus upcoming price....(btw, they spoke with the Fuj. importer who said the newer 65"s are coming in at $20k if anyone's interested). And no it didn't have the blackest blacks/or even blacks of my Pioneer SD533/ISFed, but not too bad again, and kinda offset by the wonderful colors so it's not so noticible. I didn't access the menu or adjust anything, but the shadow detail was not good. Either fully light area, kinda shadowy details, and then black. I'm assuming this was incorrect settings for this set as I have to believe it had a wider range of shadow detail.

Anyway, I don't know how much this set could be improved upon by a basic Avia setup, or a full blown ISF 6mos down the road. But I liked what I saw for the most part. I reread what I wrote, and it sounds like I'm down on it, but I'vd unfortunately seen the better processed plasmas, so I just have a better frame of reference than when I started. My only other complaint is there's no option to add an external scaler in the future. Another comprimise for the price. But in the end, the tv's incredibly enjoyable to watch with it's rich colors and resolution and it can be wall mounted even on a heavy duty pullout mount from Peerless for bigger viewing and pushed back in for me to enjoy a much improved soundstage depth from my speakers hehe Just giving up the 'last bit' of 3-d, no blurring at all and a refined color set. Not terrible tradeoffs for $10k savings.

Thanks for the excellent thread, I see another I need to read now. Personally, I'm more happy paying a bit more for the consumer model so I don't have to deal with the dvi/hdmi input issues alone. Thanks Ken for motivating me to spend the $35 for a good demo of this tv. Made the decision much easier. .....though darn, wish it could accept another scaler, this would add "years" to it's life it seems to me....or maybe it'd die a pixel death scene first?

Thanks again,
Chris
post #454 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 PM

I got my set yesterday and will wall mount it on next Thursaday. I cant wait. A qucik question. What mode are most people watching this set. Any basic settings that people can post.
Param
post #455 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee View Post

My only other complaint is there's no option to add an external scaler in the future. Made the decision much easier. .....though darn, wish it could accept another scaler, this would add "years" to it's life it seems to me....or maybe it'd die a pixel death scene first?

Thanks again,
Chris

What prevents the set from accepting an external scaler and does the commercial version have the same limitation?

Thanks!

Murray Kerdman
post #456 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

What prevents the set from accepting an external scaler and does the commercial version have the same limitation?

Thanks!

Nothing. People on this forum are using external scalers on their consumer and commercial units. The set accepts native 1080p60 via HDMI or DVI.
post #457 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Really? That's not what I was told, they said it'd need a hdmi/dvi out and it didn't. That'd be great if it can!

Chris
post #458 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really? That's not what I was told, they said it'd need a hdmi/dvi out and it didn't. That'd be great if it can!

Chris

Well, it needs a HDMI/DVI INput which they have.

Important rule to remember, the salescritters at Best Buy are mostly idiots. For some good scaler info for this set talk to "Jack D" on the commercial thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=734419
post #459 of 743 Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Jason30, I should've expected as much hehe

Can I ask you a few questions about this consumer vs. commercial version? Since the consumer version accepts 1080p60 via HDMI or DVI (1:1 mapping by definition right?), is it using the hdmi 1.3 card/standard? Is this still an issue...that granted I know next to nothing about? And since both versions can take ext. scalers, I guess the only advantage of the commercial vers. is it's more customizable (though only 1 memory) vs. less customable but with I think 3 memories? If I have the consumer version ISF'ed, can I expect the same quality of pictures from both versions? Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm still on a still learning curve regarding video.

Thanks
Chris
post #460 of 743 Old 12-09-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalithaparam View Post

I got my set yesterday and will wall mount it on next Thursaday. I cant wait. A qucik question. What mode are most people watching this set. Any basic settings that people can post.
Param

I'm just running straight Standard.
post #461 of 743 Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 PM

Read a bit more about this hdmi issue, aren't any of you worried about the consumer sets lack of hdmi 1.3? I spoke with VA today and they said the cards not even avai. yet...sometime next yr. So the 1.2a has 8 bits vs. 16 bits for the upcoming 1.3? Can this set even tell the differences?
post #462 of 743 Old 12-09-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic TH-65PX600U, that is...

I went to the local Magnolia to compare the Pioneer Elite 50" FHD-1. Unfortunately, once I saw the Panny -- and glanced at the Pioneer -- it was pretty obvious that size matters. If my viewing distance were closer the Pioneer might work, but at the viewing distance we have (12-13 feet) ANY money spent on a 1080P 50-inch set is wasted, IMHO.

The Qualia has clearly ruined me for anything of lesser quality. It's funny how I didn't even gawk at the Panny -- as in, "WOW -- a Sixty-Five-Inch Plasma!!!". It seems like 65" is probably my minimum tolerable monitor size at this point. How quickly we become used to improving standards; it wasn't all that long ago that I was thrilled by my 32" Sony XBR CRT set...

How good is the Panny? Pretty good, it turns out. When I first looked at it -- playing "The Fifth Element" on the Panny BluRay player -- I thought it looked terrible. Here again is yet another example of how poorly most retailers set up their display units. When set to VIVID this set just looks dreadful.

Switched to STANDARD things get dramatically better. A few observations:
The people who loved trashing the Qualia 006 over screen reflections will have a friggin' field day with this display. The screen reflections are far, FAR worse than on the Q006; control of room lighting will be essential with this set.

This picture will doubtlessly have a big performance jump once someone like Jeff/UMR lays his hands upon the television set and HEE-UHLS it's imaging capabilities. Though I commandeered the remote controls, I did NOT have time to tweak the set.

The money on this set seems to go into the picture. Though it looks nice enough it does not have the fancier quality exterior design that some sets now have. It is simple and clean, though, which works for me.

At $1,299 MSRP for the pedestal stand, we have a new record for cost vs. engineering dollars and production expense. Absolutely unbelievable, and if you want to mount this unit on a stand you are screwed, as most manufacturers (Chief, for one) do NOT offer stands for anything this big.

BluRay is nice, but the performance jump is smaller than you might think. I believe some of this may be due to limitations or shortcuts in mastering. With "Element" I compared my SuperLimitedEdition DVD to the BluRay, with both discs using the Panny BluRay transport. It is a clear but incremental improvement. My thinking is that a Denon 5910Ci ought to take standard DVDs to somewhere very close to BluRay. However, with proper D4 masters or with digitally sourced material, I would expect the BluRay advantage to grow. I could write more about this, but it looks to me like "The Fifth Element" was rushed onto BluRay. There seemed to be quite a few issues related to conversion from film to digital. Maybe they used the same master from the DVD and BluRay is showing off flaws you can't easily detect on DVD.

My final verdict? I ordered one TH-65PX600U with the pedestal stand, the matching speakers, and the Panny BluRay player. I know, I know -- the stand and speakers are probably money that's wasted in the long-term. However, we are doing some remodeling and I HAVE to have the ability for the set to be free-standing at this point, both as regards mounting and its' audio capability.

After viewing a good hour of BluRay content, I found the PQ on this set to be very good. Not state-of-the-art good, but I think it's one of the best plasma sets I've yet seen. The size is part of this, the blacks are good, and the shadow detail is decent. I think we have the building blocks for someone like Jeff/UMR to create a beautiful picture.

The only potential fly in the ointment will be to see how this set performs with SD material. I am hopelessly addicted to the Speed channel, and during the Formula One season a lot of my TV viewing is this less than pristine (hah!) source. I am very interested to see how well this set plays with others, in this case my TiVo S3. I would prefer not to buy a scaler, but we shall see.

Out of time; more details to follow...

post #463 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 195
br3,

Since you have a Tivo, why not take it to the store and demo what the set will do with your "speed channel"? Also, remember that with the S3 you can record SD at original quality by changing the record option.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #464 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 AM

anybody know if the commercial model takes 240v? specs say no, but you never know. if not, can i just replace the power supply?
thanks
post #465 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Interesting no one is concerned about the lack of interchangable cards for when the new hdmmi 1.3 standard comes out. I've already read most highend surround processors are going to have hdmi 1.3 inputs for both the better video, and Dolby HD. Strange.

Chris
post #466 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Since you have a Tivo, why not take it to the store and demo what the set will do with your "speed channel"? Also, remember that with the S3 you can record SD at original quality by changing the record option.

Good points. The Magnolia I visited had a DirecTV box sitting right with the equipment stack underneath the set, but they couldn't get the thing to work. I plan to go back in a few days and see what regular TV looks like...

post #467 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM

Ok... I want names and addresses of where all these sets are located! I need one for myself!

You guys are lucky... enjoy your 65 as I'm enjoying my 42 panny.
post #468 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Interesting no one is concerned about the lack of interchangable cards for when the new hdmmi 1.3 standard comes out. I've already read most highend surround processors are going to have hdmi 1.3 inputs for both the better video, and Dolby HD. Strange.

Chris

It is arguable whether HDMI 1.3 will offer any real advantages for picture quality as no video or film-based source material is shot with the so-called "deep color" that HDMI 1.3 supports. This display will not support it either.

As for the audio side, HDMI 1.1 and up support the high def audio codecs (like Dolby HD) through PCM. You just need a player that will decode the audio stream and send the decoded audio through PCM. The only difference with HDMI 1.3 is that you will be able to send the encoded audio throught it to an outboard processor (or receiver) to have it decoded there. May be an advantage, or may not be depending on what extra features may be encoded in that audio stream.
post #469 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Chris

You can wait forever for the next technology to come out. I have been waiting a year since I saw this unit at the CES last year. I hung the 600u about three weeks ago and have no regrets. This unit is spectacular!

Jim
post #470 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Donstim, interesting. Thought the Dolby homepage doesnt' mention that Dolby HD is carried thru pcm: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD.html
post #471 of 743 Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM

There are several Chief mounts that will hold the set. It is 174lbs, a good number of Chief mounts do 200lbs. There are also one or two Sanus mounts that do 200lbs or more!

$1299 is steep for the pedestal...
post #472 of 743 Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTAndrew View Post

There are several Chief mounts that will hold the set. It is 174lbs, a good number of Chief mounts do 200lbs. There are also one or two Sanus mounts that do 200lbs or more!

$1299 is steep for the pedestal...

Agreed; unless it's made of carbon fiber, magnesium, and titanium combined into some exotic matrix, $1299 is an insane price.

Does Chief make a pedestal stand -- for mounting on top of a low equipment stand -- that will work with this size set? I couldn't find one, and I also noticed they limited the stands I found to 50-inch maximum display size. I'm assuming that -- in addition to weight -- leverage is an issue here. As in, the bigger the display, the more likely it is to damage the stand if someone bumps into said display. I smell lawyers...

post #473 of 743 Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

brt3, can you make a comparison of your Qualia against the Panny 65"? Thanks
post #474 of 743 Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

brt3, can you make a comparison of your Qualia against the Panny 65"? Thanks

I'm dying to compare the two after the Panny gets properly calilbrated. I am waiting for delivery; I didn't want things piecemeal, and told them to deliver everything at once. This will probably be after New Year's, and this actually works better for me since we are extremely busy right now...

Still, it's hard to wait!

post #475 of 743 Old 12-13-2006, 09:28 AM

I went with the commercial version due to being able to add the 1.3 card when it comes in (VA says they're expecting them by jan or feb), better pic controls, better looking and cheaper. Typical reasons.

Thanks again to all for the thread!
Chris
post #476 of 743 Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all,

I've ordered the 65" and it will be here at the end of December. I have a friend who used to do installs for Tweeters and will be helping me install the TV.

I'm doing a wall mount and want to have the different wires ready for him. What cables do I need to purchase to have ready for the install? We have cable, but will likely add a dish and also want to have local HD OTA reception as an option.

Thanks for your help.

Brownie
post #477 of 743 Old 12-17-2006, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
BUMP

Are they so few folks buying this model vs the commercial version? Why so few posts??
post #478 of 743 Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Biggest problem seems to be few dealers have the consumer version in stock. A real piss poor performance by Panasonic for sure. I don't think a single pedestal stand has made it to the US yet either.
post #479 of 743 Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

I'm just running straight Standard.

I know the picture adjustments are some what room and light dependent but can u please post your pcture settings for me.

Param,
post #480 of 743 Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post

I'm doing a wall mount and want to have the different wires ready for him. What cables do I need to purchase to have ready for the install? We have cable, but will likely add a dish and also want to have local HD OTA reception as an option.

If you are running cables through the wall in such a way as to make it difficult to change at a later date, you might want to hook up all possible cables regardless of what you have now.

If you are not running the cables through the wall, then don't worry about it. You should be able to make connections after the mount especially if you get a tilt mount.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page