AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Larry,
A few years ago, someone (I think it was Rogo) posted a phosphor aging curve from one of the major plasma manufacturers that showed exactly what your plot shows; the luminance actually increased initially, and then started a gradual logarithmic decay.

-Steve

Edit: I foung and attached the phosphor aging curve mentioned previously.

Interesting. That shows it rising for the first 5000 hours.

I wonder what "generation" the 65" Panny is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 743 Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rich - Congrats on the purchase!! I just got in my XA-2 and plan to spend tonight immersed in dvds. The XA2 supposedly has great NR functions (with no loss in sharpness) so my main concern would be the black levels, as my choice is to save $$$ and go with the 58" instead. I know you previously felt the 58 v the 65 was a tough call. Now that you have spent time with the 65, what do you think re the difference in blacks? Is the 1080p and 7 extra inches worth double the price (more with the pedestal stand)? Size is less of a factor for me as I already have a 65" Mits 831 which is ISF'd and has awesome blacks (I used to own a Pio CRT-RPTV) and I rarely see rainbows (it's been weeks since the last time).

Go Duke !
post #543 of 743 Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndpr View Post

Its more than just changing the bulbs. I like the plasma picture better than DLP.
The 65 and 73 Mitsubishi DLP's screens went almost black from maybe a viewing
angle of 150 degrees. Also the DLP's are still bulkier than the plasma on a pedestal and cannot be wall mounted if I change my mind and redecorate.
The store had the Pioneer 50" 1080P playing a Blu Ray Disc and it was a superior
picture to anything else. I already have a 61" NEC plasma in my downstairs theater and I think its picture is better than the Mitsubishi DLP. However, DLP's picture is still pretty good, but just not as good. This 65" TV is going to replace a 10 year old 35" CRT which is already set up with a six speaker McIntosh stereo theater system. I have to upgrade the pre amp to get 5.1 or 6.1 (My other theater has a 6.1 McIntosh system). So there is a lot more thought going into this project than just changing light bulbs.

I have the Mits and am considering the Panny for a 2d set. The Mits picture really needs ISF calibration to shine because the 6 seperate tint and 6 color controls are too interdependent to get right without pro equipment. Plus, the sets run warm and need service menu tweaks re color. I love the Panny plasmas too and agree the pictures are better in some ways, though not in others. SSE doesn't bother me on the Mits, but it always did on the SXRD. I couldn't do plasma in the main room - too much relection from nearby windows, even with shutters.

Go Duke !
post #544 of 743 Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

Rich - Congrats on the purchase!! I just got in my XA-2 and plan to spend tonight immersed in dvds. The XA2 supposedly has great NR functions (with no loss in sharpness) so my main concern would be the black levels, as my choice is to save $$$ and go with the 58" instead. I know you previously felt the 58 v the 65 was a tough call. Now that you have spent time with the 65, what do you think re the difference in blacks? Is the 1080p and 7 extra inches worth double the price (more with the pedestal stand)? Size is less of a factor for me as I already have a 65" Mits 831 which is ISF'd and has awesome blacks (I used to own a Pio CRT-RPTV) and I rarely see rainbows (it's been weeks since the last time).

I haven't purchased the Panny 65. It was merely being used as a monitor at a store that was attempting to update my HD-DVD player's firmware (which has proven impossible so far, damn it!).

The 58" does have the better black levels for sure, but the over-all impact with HD material, especially HD-DVD/Blu Ray is substantial on the Panny 65". I watched some Blu Ray on the Panny 58. Very nice to be sure. But on the Panny 65" blu ray and HD-DVD are just jaw-dropping, in terms of clarity and detail.

(Although I should caution it's been impossible to do a truly controlled side-by-side of those displays, in terms of ensuring the exact same quality feed, picture controls etc).
post #545 of 743 Old 01-12-2007, 11:02 PM

Well after 6 weeks...no stand, we are waiting for another 6 weeks. If there is no stand we will cancel the order. My dad doesnt like the idea of wall-mount. I cant believe panasonic didnt make the tv-stand yet. Does anyone have info on when it will get release?? The TV will be great if I can get it with the tv-stand.
post #546 of 743 Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

try contacting dtvcity.com. I see they list it on their site for options for the set, but no idea if they have them in stock. Worth a quick call though. Part# TY-ST65PV500
post #547 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I haven't purchased the Panny 65. It was merely being used as a monitor at a store that was attempting to update my HD-DVD player's firmware (which has proven impossible so far, damn it!).

The 58" does have the better black levels for sure, but the over-all impact with HD material, especially HD-DVD/Blu Ray is substantial on the Panny 65". I watched some Blu Ray on the Panny 58. Very nice to be sure. But on the Panny 65" blu ray and HD-DVD are just jaw-dropping, in terms of clarity and detail.

(Although I should caution it's been impossible to do a truly controlled side-by-side of those displays, in terms of ensuring the exact same quality feed, picture controls etc).

Ah, I see. Sorry your quest hasn't yet concluded.

I've never been able to compare the 58 with the 65 as you have - the 65 is always in a seperate area with a BluRay feed, while the 58 is getting sat hd feed next to the 1540. I do find the 58 sharper than the 1540, though the 1540 gets the edge on color (at least with in store tweaking). It will all come down to $$ and my taxes! Also, the extra $1000 for the stand on the 65" really frosts me. But, I agree that the 65" would otherwise be the preferred choice.

Some have said the 65 has a great scaler/deinterlacer, but I saw a review (can't recall where) that said the Panny does better with a progressive signal, so I'm a bit unclear on this point. Also, is the quality of the processing in the 65 different/better than in the 58?

Go Duke !
post #548 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

Well after 6 weeks...no stand, we are waiting for another 6 weeks. If there is no stand we will cancel the order. My dad doesnt like the idea of wall-mount. I cant believe panasonic didnt make the tv-stand yet. Does anyone have info on when it will get release?? The TV will be great if I can get it with the tv-stand.

I'm in exactly the same boat; ordered the set with the factory speakers and stand. Might be a waste of money to some, but we are changing around our house over the next 18 months and need lots of flexibility. This is actually a second set for our master bedroom, and I'm setting it up with the Panny Blu-ray player and matching receiver to make it a very simple system for my wife to operate.

I placed my order on Dec. 9th. Magnolia salesman said 10 days to 2 weeks to get the stand (they have everything else). Since you can't really use a 175-pound TV without some type of support, we wait. And wait. And wait.

This is the third time he's told us, "We will have it -- absolutely guaranteed -- in ten days...

post #549 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM

So what is the minimum number of hours to wait for ISF calibration. Also is the DVE disc for HD out. Thanks.

Param.
post #550 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Place my order on Nov. 18th. They had the display model (w/ stand) there, and when I came back recently and ask where is our tv-stand...they said it was sold!! Supposely we the 1st customer to bought the tv at that store. He said something about 50 being backorder for the west coast.
post #551 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 01:28 PM

SA 8300HD and Panny TH-65PX600U - HDMI vs. component? (Time Warner)

If i use HDMI from SA8300HD to TV and optical audio from SA8300HD to receiver (no HDMI input on receiver) will the cable box/HDMI hook up deactivate dolby out to the receiver resulting in 2 channel output only? If so is the best alternative to use component video from cable box to tv?
post #552 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeje View Post

Hi everyone

Got my two panas 65". Love them.
But when it comes to remote controls... I am having a hard time with my Mx950 and Mx3000... with the input/video command.

Does anyone have discrete remote control codes for the pana 65?

Two?!?!?

Anyway, rememer you can go directy to a given input by hitting TV/VID and then hitting a digit key.
post #553 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

Incredible. I really sympathize with you people without a stand. This is such a tremendous blunder on Panasonic's part. And the outrageous price for the stand is another thing that highly irks me. When I received my set way back in early October they told me the stands were already manufactured and on a boat coming from China and that they would be here in two weeks at the latest. (It took me several sessions with my salesperson to convince him that the stand was not included with the TV. And a couple of phone calls to Panasonic itself to convince the salespeople that the set doesn't come with a stand.)

As much as I love Pansonic plasmas and my TH-65PX600U I would seriously consider something else because this type of nonsense should not happen with such an expensive purchase.

The commerical stand does work with the consumer set if you'd like to go that route. I did. It's not a perfect fit, but it is a good workable solution.

Good luck and I hope it's not too much longer for those waiting.
post #554 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Incredible. I really sympathize with you people without a stand. This is such a tremendous blunder on Panasonic's part. And the outrageous price for the stand is another thing that highly irks me... Good luck and I hope it's not too much longer for those waiting.

Just got a call from my salesman to arrange delivery; he says everything (the set, factory speakers, factory stand, and Blu-ray player) is in stock and ready to go.

I am going to drive there first thing tomorrow and pick up the stand, speakers, and Blu-ray player to make sure that the stand doesn't mysteriously disappear...

Or maybe I should see how much it would bring on eBay?

post #555 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post

Just got a call from my salesman to arrange delivery; he says everything (the set, factory speakers, factory stand, and Blu-ray player) is in stock and ready to go.

I am going to drive there first thing tomorrow and pick up the stand, speakers, and Blu-ray player to make sure that the stand doesn't mysteriously disappear...

Hey, I'm very curious about your comparison vs your Sony SXRD RPTV! Let us know how it goes.

I've recently been comparing the Panny to the Sony and while I certainly hugely admire the Sony and see that it does some things somewhat better than the Panny, for me the plasma can produce a "holy [censored]!" reaction with certain material that I have never quite got from the Sony RPTV.

Given how much you no doubt have enjoyed the Sony, your comparison - should you choose to accept this mission - ought to be fascinating to read.
post #556 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Hey, I'm very curious about your comparison vs your Sony SXRD RPTV! Let us know how it goes.... - ought to be fascinating to read.

Yes me too, can't wait.
Nice choices to ponder...

Decisions decisionshmmm what to dowhat should I watch tonighthmmmm
the Q or the P.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #557 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post

I only wish the manager would give me call tomorrow. I went to another Magnolia and ask if they have it in stock. They say they can order it...lol I said does that mean I will get it? They said yea, in 4 weeks. I ask them how many people have bought the 65" and they said one...I just chuckle and said thanks and left. The Magnolia near my house have taken 5 orders. 1080p is definitely awesome. My brother has the Sceptre 42" 1080p lcd on his computer.
post #558 of 743 Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Can anyone point me to a review of the the Panasonic 65 with the Toshiba XA2? I just received my new 65, and I need to order a disc player. I've considered blu-ray and the new LG dual-player that might be out soon, but I've read some reviews on the XA2 that say the HD PQ is fantastic - as good or better than bu-ray, and it's up-conversion logic is alot better than anything else, "practicaly negating the need for a separate blu-ray player". I'm also a little skeptical of the dual-play LG, just because it's not available for anyone to review, and I doubt that it's up-conversion logic woud be on par with the XA2, maybe I'm downplaying it before we even get a chance to see it! Anyone care to reflect on those thoughts? I'm just about ready to jump on the XA2 bandwagon! Thanks!
post #559 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brunken View Post

Can anyone point me to a review of the the Panasonic 65 with the Toshiba XA2? I just received my new 65, and I need to order a disc player. I've considered blu-ray and the new LG dual-player that might be out soon, but I've read some reviews on the XA2 that say the HD PQ is fantastic - as good or better than bu-ray, and it's up-conversion logic is alot better than anything else, "practicaly negating the need for a separate blu-ray player". I'm also a little skeptical of the dual-play LG, just because it's not available for anyone to review, and I doubt that it's up-conversion logic woud be on par with the XA2, maybe I'm downplaying it before we even get a chance to see it! Anyone care to reflect on those thoughts? I'm just about ready to jump on the XA2 bandwagon! Thanks!

I have the Panasonic 65 plasma and the first generation Toshiba HD DVD player and also the Panasonic Blu-ray player. These are my thoughts on both players as viewed on the set. The picture quality is virtually the same for both players. Both players are able to display excellent picture quality when viewing hi def movies. Upconverted SD movies look very good when using either player.

Reading the reviews of the second generation Toshiba (the XA2) indicate the picture quality is arguably no better than the first generation player. The player is now more user friendly, however, and able to output 1080p (which the first generation player could not.) (The Blu-ray players also output 1080p.) The first generation Toshiba player was slow and quirky, but now functions well with the latest firm-ware upgrade. The XA2 is much faster and is not given in to the glitches the first generation player suffered from.

What it boils down to really is what movies you are interested in. At first, HD DVD had a substantial lead in well-mastered movies and the number of movies released. Blu-ray started off with some poorly-mastered movies, but studios have overcome that hurdle and are now releasing well-mastered movies at a pretty decent clip. The amount of HD DVD movies has slowed down somewhat also, but there are still some good ones on the horizon. If a movie is from Universal ("King Kong" "Hulk" "Brokeback Mountain", "The Sting", etc.) you won't see it on a Blu-ray disc anytime soon, if ever. Likewise, if you're a fan of Sony/20th Century Fox/Disney films ("X-men 3", "Fantastic Four", "Black Hawk Down,"Sky High", etc.) they won't be on HD DVD anytime soon, if ever.

I'm not a fan of LG products and the dual players is not finished yet (if it is, indeed, coming. It was announced and cancelled once already.) I certainly wouldn't bank on it being any better than the Toshiba or Pansonic player. (But I'd love to be proven wrong.)

In my opinion, Blu-ray is finally becoming the hi def answer people were hoping it would be from the start. HD DVD is wonderful, but may end up getting crushed by the Sony juggernaut. It might be able to survive if it pushes out more big name titles that Sony does not have access to. Just my two cents.
post #560 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 04:59 AM

Thanks! That was worth more than your 2-cent bill! Any other thoughts? Anyone actually using the XA2 with the 65? Up-converts about the same with blu-ray and HD DVD???
post #561 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 07:44 AM

If i use HDMI from SA8300HD to TV and optical audio from SA8300HD to receiver (no HDMI input on receiver) will the cable box/HDMI hook up deactivate dolby out to the receiver resulting in 2 channel output only? If so is the best alternative to use component video from cable box to tv?
post #562 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by p owens View Post

You should be able to use the HDMI connection to your TV and send Dolby Digital sound out to your receiver via the optical or digital (RCA) out interface.

see page 2 of the Users Guide.

Connection Guide (seems out of date but may be of some help)
post #563 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Panasonic 65 plasma and the first generation Toshiba HD DVD player and also the Panasonic Blu-ray player. These are my thoughts on both players as viewed on the set. The picture quality is virtually the same for both players. Both players are able to display excellent picture quality when viewing hi def movies. Upconverted SD movies look very good when using either player.

Reading the reviews of the second generation Toshiba (the XA2) indicate the picture quality is arguably no better than the first generation player. The player is now more user friendly, however, and able to output 1080p (which the first generation player could not.) (The Blu-ray players also output 1080p.) The first generation Toshiba player was slow and quirky, but now functions well with the latest firm-ware upgrade. The XA2 is much faster and is not given in to the glitches the first generation player suffered from.

What it boils down to really is what movies you are interested in. At first, HD DVD had a substantial lead in well-mastered movies and the number of movies released. Blu-ray started off with some poorly-mastered movies, but studios have overcome that hurdle and are now releasing well-mastered movies at a pretty decent clip. The amount of HD DVD movies has slowed down somewhat also, but there are still some good ones on the horizon. If a movie is from Universal ("King Kong" "Hulk" "Brokeback Mountain", "The Sting", etc.) you won't see it on a Blu-ray disc anytime soon, if ever. Likewise, if you're a fan of Sony/20th Century Fox/Disney films ("X-men 3", "Fantastic Four", "Black Hawk Down,"Sky High", etc.) they won't be on HD DVD anytime soon, if ever.

I'm not a fan of LG products and the dual players is not finished yet (if it is, indeed, coming. It was announced and cancelled once already.) I certainly wouldn't bank on it being any better than the Toshiba or Pansonic player. (But I'd love to be proven wrong.)

In my opinion, Blu-ray is finally becoming the hi def answer people were hoping it would be from the start. HD DVD is wonderful, but may end up getting crushed by the Sony juggernaut. It might be able to survive if it pushes out more big name titles that Sony does not have access to. Just my two cents.

I just bought a XA2 but don't have the Panny. I've been following the XA2 threads closely and the concensus is that it is better at upscaling SD than the A1 due to presence of the SO Reon chip. I disagree with franchot (very humbly) that the XA2 is not regarded as having a better picture with HD than the A1 - a number of members have so said. Indeed, it outperformed a $5000 Crytallio II video processor per some testing done in a seperate thread. I think you will find that feeding the Panny a good 1080p feed is ideal.

Go Duke !
post #564 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I just bought a XA2 but don't have the Panny. I've been following the XA2 threads closely and the concensus is that it is better at upscaling SD than the A1 due to presence of the SO Reon chip. I disagree with franchot (very humbly) that the XA2 is not regarded as having a better picture with HD than the A1 - a number of members have so said. Indeed, it outperformed a $5000 Crytallio II video processor per some testing done in a seperate thread. I think you will find that feeding the Panny a good 1080p feed is ideal.

Trackman,

Since I've only seen the XA2 in stores (which is hardly ever an ideal environment to test gear) I (very, very humbly) defer to your judgement of how well the XA2 performs since you have one at home. Sounds like a very fine machine, indeed. When the price drops, I'll have to invest in one since I'm a big fan of Universal movies and the A1 is just too clunky for me.

Yes, feeding the Panny a good 1080p feed whether it's HD DVD or Blu-ray seems ideal for the Panasonic plasma. Thanks for correcting me and offering your experience with the player.
post #565 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm very curious about your comparison vs your Sony SXRD RPTV! Let us know how it goes.

I've recently been comparing the Panny to the Sony and while I certainly hugely admire the Sony and see that it does some things somewhat better than the Panny, for me the plasma can produce a "holy [censored]!" reaction with certain material that I have never quite got from the Sony RPTV.

Given how much you no doubt have enjoyed the Sony, your comparison - should you choose to accept this mission - ought to be fascinating to read.

OK, you're on -- just don't call me "Ethan"...

I picked up the factory pedestal/stand and speakers today -- those stands are so rare I didn't want mine to disappear. I also wanted to have the factory speakers mainly for flexibility in the future...

I want to have this setup be very simple, and when you have the Panny system (TV, Blu-ray, and receiver) everything is completely intuitive. Load a disc, press "Play", and the TV and receiver turn on and switch to the appropriate inputs. This won't be a system with killer sound, but it should work well and get a lot more family use because of its' simplicity: Panny Blu-ray Theater System

I'm waiting for delivery of the screen -- even though it's in stock and ready to go -- until Feb. 1st (don't ask). Once it's set up and installed I'll try to offer some rough comparisons to the Qualia 006. I say "rough" because the sets are in different rooms; also, a serious comparison is not totally fair until the Panny has been calibrated. After that's done I'll pop a fresh lamp in the Qualia and the gloves are off...

post #566 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry I gotta ask, why two weeks to drop the thing off at your house? This from Tweeter? I gotta say you folks have a lot of patience with some of these stores. You could use any one of the respectable board sponsors to buy the set from, have it delivered in less time and for thousands less.
post #567 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trackman,

Since I've only seen the XA2 in stores (which is hardly ever an ideal environment to test gear) I (very, very humbly) defer to your judgement of how well the XA2 performs since you have one at home. Sounds like a very fine machine, indeed. When the price drops, I'll have to invest in one since I'm a big fan of Universal movies and the A1 is just too clunky for me.

Yes, feeding the Panny a good 1080p feed whether it's HD DVD or Blu-ray seems ideal for the Panasonic plasma. Thanks for correcting me and offering your experience with the player.

My pleasure, franchot. I don't have a ton of experience yet with the XA2 but so far both SD and HD look incredible and I have encountered only one small glitch (it froze during eject). It has also been reported that the NR functions on SD work great with no loss of clarity or sharpness, which may cure the SD noise R. Harkness noticed in his viewing trial.

Go Duke !
post #568 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Trackman, do you know if the XA2 outputs 1080p24 or just 1080p60? I haven't followed the threads in a while, but remember it was a possibility Tosh would give it p24.
post #569 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

Sorry I gotta ask, why two weeks to drop the thing off at your house? This from Tweeter? I gotta say you folks have a lot of patience with some of these stores. You could use any one of the respectable board sponsors to buy the set from, have it delivered in less time and for thousands less.

They can deliver the set anytime I want, but I'm on the road and then we're having carpets cleaned -- thus the wait (and frustration)...

post #570 of 743 Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brunken View Post

...I've considered blu-ray and the new LG dual-player that might be out soon..

It appears it will be out sooner than expected (some are saying February '07):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

And it is also showing up on other websites. If you're not in a hurry and if it can deliver the goods, this might be quite a nice player. You could enjoy all hi def movies on one player which would be the player a lot of us really want. Still, it's LG which is not known for stellar players. (Although, Onkyo went from making lackluster DVD players to a very respectable universal player in one year, so anything is possible.) And the MSRP is $1200. Not bad when you consider it supports both formats. It just depends on how well it plays those formats.

To be safe, I'd wait for some reviews. Or buy at a place with a good return policy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page