PANASONIC 65" 1080p PLASMA (TH-65PX600U) Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 743 Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I notice that on Blu-Ray dvd arent that good...I see some grainiess (is that even a word..lol)? I'm guessing that the movies arent encoded in 1080p? I'm watching it on the PS3. Regular dvd are playing on the Oppo 971H. So what movies do you guys play to show off the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 743 Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TrungHieuSJ,

I watched "The Departed" tonight on Blu-ray and it looked wonderful. Other nice transfers are "Fantastic Four", "X-3", "Kingdom of Heaven"...

Have you calibrated your set with a basic calibration disc such as Avia or Video Essentials? That will help.

And if you're talking about "Talladega Nights" (which comes packaged with the PS3) as looking grainy and not very good, you're right. It looks pretty poor.

Check out the Blu-ray thread for some good opinions on the best looking discs.
post #633 of 743 Old 02-18-2007, 07:25 AM

I picked up the 65 inch panny the other day and am having problems with hooking things up. I can get everything to work through component but when I hook up useing hdmi I get no picture. this is not the case with my hd-dvd player but it is with my cable box and Ps3. also when i put my ps3 to 1080p through the component I get no picture. If any one know what I am doing wrong please let me know.
post #634 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Still looking at my 10k black mirror (bought from bb/magnolia-broke 2 weeks later on super bowl sunday). bb repairman came and couldn't fix it. bb still says they can not find a replacement til some time in march. unbelievable!!
post #635 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 PM

If there's still time to do it, I would get my money back and start all over again if and when they come in. It's not fun having 10 Grand tied up. Just my opinion
post #636 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p owens View Post

Still looking at my 10k black mirror (bought from bb/magnolia-broke 2 weeks later on super bowl sunday). bb repairman came and couldn't fix it. bb still says they can not find a replacement til some time in march. unbelievable!!

They need to send you a Panasonic tech (who knows the product), not a Best Buy repairman. What did this Best Buy repairman do exactly? What was his theory as to why the TV is not working? From your message it sounds like they didn't take the TV away. Are you going to send someone from Panasonic next?

Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a lemon--which happens.

I agree with kenabb. It might be best to go for the refund and then shop elsewhere as there's no telling how long Best Buy will be out of stock on this product. If you got a good price at Best Buy, take the paperwork to another competitor (such as Costco, Tweeters, etc.) and see if they'll give you the same or a better deal.

(I got a very good price on my Panasonic and yet ended up waiting a little over a month for the plasma to come into stock at my Magnolia. But during that month I went all over town in a effort to try and beat the Magnolia price. I couldn't find a better price, so the wait was worth it for me.)
post #637 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Do we know if this unit will accept 1080P24?

Daniel
post #638 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

I agree with kenabb. It might be best to go for the refund and then shop elsewhere as there's no telling how long Best Buy will be out of stock on this product. If you got a good price at Best Buy, take the paperwork to another competitor (such as Costco, Tweeters, etc.) and see if they'll give you the same or a better deal.

Definitely, get a full refund for it and check out some other vendors. I don't know about in-store, but Costco now has the TH-65PX600U available online for purchase. And also it's for quite a bit less than what BestBuy online shows.
post #639 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM

I had Cox install a CableCard this past weekend, and after a few hours futzing with the audio, can report success. Somewhere between fiddling with input settings on the Denon 4306 and realizing I needed to turn the speaker setting to "off" on the Pannie (with no internal speakers, I'm not sure why the default is "on," but maybe that's just me...) I must have switched the setting on the input I was using on the Denon from Opt1 to HDMI1. Fortunately I noticed it before my head exploded or I embarrassed myself with a tech.

I felt a little less like an idiot later when, after switching inputs from the dvd we were watching (Alias, season three--never watched it while it was on and we're catching up now) back to TV, the audio stayed mute. Switched settings again, switched things off (albeit briefly), futzed, fiddled, started to mutter, then switched the settings again: lo and behold, audio appeared, all nonchalant, acting like it wasn't even late or anything. I'm wondering if there is a handshake thang goin' on here, and that I may have had it set up correctly to start with. Anyone else notice such oddness?

I can also report the onboard TV Guide works quite well in my limited experience with it, and that I even prefer it to the settop box guide due to the onscreen preview window. Channels appeared with an hour or two after setting it up, and by the next morning detailed info was populated.

A.B.
post #640 of 743 Old 02-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

A friend of mine just purchased this Panny and also bought the LG dual tech BD/HD DVD player. He has a Rotel receiver that is a few years old without HDMI. I told him to run the HDMI straight into the TV and run an optical audio/digital coax through the Rotel.

That should take care of it, correct? He is afraid that the HDMI audio will somehow trump the other audio inputs.

Thanks for any insight!

Will the LG send the audio signal out multiple ports, i.e. both the HDMI and a separate optical port, at the same time? If so, or if it can be configured to send the video via HDMI and the audio via optical, then straight to the Rotel with the audio is probably the best path. Less processing, a simpler digital path, etc, probably results in a better sound, too. Also allows him to bypass the pannie if audio is all he wants to hear, though I know nothing about the LG's prowess as a CD player.

Otherwise, I can vouch (see previous post) the pannie will pass dolby digital, at least) via the optical out port. I'm using the digital audio out from the Pannie to get audio from cable (into the set via cablecard) to my Denon and from there to the speakers. Gotta set the non-existent internal speakers to "off" on the pannie for this to work, though.

A.B.
post #641 of 743 Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmai View Post

Do we know if this unit will accept 1080P24?

No direct experience, but I am certain it will not.
post #642 of 743 Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

No direct experience, but I am certain it will not.

I can confirm that. Inadvertantly sent 1080p24 from a Pioneer HD1 and the 600u didn't like it.
post #643 of 743 Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 PM

This is a beautiful set, and I am enthralled with HD sources, but I was a little disappointed with how a DVD (Pirates of the Caribbean), and SD (CNN) looked. I wouldn't expect it to be as good mind you, just better than it was. I was curious if many owners used an external video processor, but I must say, I am a bit gun shy after reading through the myriad complex problems and disappointments encountered over at the Video Processor forum.

Any help would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.
post #644 of 743 Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM

P owen I can feel your pain on your $10,000 black mirror. The same thing happened to me on a $6,800 42 inch panasonic. Mine lasted 1 week & did the exact same thing as yours it seems. It would not turn on which has to be a failure of something (Capacitor, Resistor or relay) in the internal power supply. I was so frustrated as Panasonic didn't help much. I hauled this Plasma from 6 hours away from my house & had to wait to return it when I had the time to drive back to Dallas. The store (The great Indoors) replaced it without problems & I have had the replacement 5 years or so without any more problems. It seems failures like these will show up at the beginning of use so I think it is a good idea to use the set as much as possible to find out if there will be a problem.

I also own the Panasonic 50 inch Plasma & the Panasonic TH-65PX600U & never had any problems with either of these. I can not say enough good things about the 65inch 1080p model. It displays perfect for me with my computer hooked up to the HDMI port & this is my main source of HDTV programing. Many sets I have seen & played with have trouble with this. All I can say is the people that have viewed this setup are left with a BIG WOW! Wish you luck in your dealings with BB. I would get a new set & not want a repaired one if it were me.
post #645 of 743 Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Iron View Post

This is a beautiful set, and I am enthralled with HD sources, but I was a little disappointed with how a DVD (Pirates of the Caribbean), and SD (CNN) looked. I wouldn't expect it to be as good mind you, just better than it was. I was curious if many owners used an external video processor, but I must say, I am a bit gun shy after reading through the myriad complex problems and disappointments encountered over at the Video Processor forum.

Any help would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

You seriously may want to consider the Toshiba HD AX2 as it has a built in VP that most are raving about as to what it does for SD DVD's even above a Crystallio II, and other upconverts for DVD's upconversion. It' runs about $300 more than the standard one. Even my 1st gen HD DVD does a good job with SD DVD's but apparently it's getting extremely high grades for folks that have libraries of DVD's. I'm saving for one myself. Vann's has a pretty good deal.

Now as to what a VP costing thousands can do for SD Broadcast that's a little different and will run you several thousand more in most cases but many of those stations are migrating to HD later this year.

Check the Video Processor threads but there are still limits to what they can do for broadcast 480i - hard to polish that turd . The Toshiba AX2 should at least satisfy you for DVD viewing anyways as well as blow your socks off with HD visuals/sound IMO and it's been reported that they will have firmware for it to do 1080P/24 by this summer.

Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #646 of 743 Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 AM

TH-65PX600u Bought it 1/20. tv went dead superbowl sunday. bb/magnolia unable to repair and unable to get any more til mid-march. manager nicely agreed this week to give me the display model until next month when they can deliver a new one. she indicates that she thinks a newer model is coming out and if so she says they will give me that one. has anybody else heard of a new 1080p 65" 750 series model coming out soon?
post #647 of 743 Old 02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

TH-65PX600u Bought it 1/20. tv went dead superbowl sunday. bb/magnolia unable to repair and unable to get any more til mid-march. manager nicely agreed this week to give me the display model until next month when they can deliver a new one. she indicates that she thinks a newer model is coming out and if so she says they will give me that one. has anybody else heard of a new 1080p 65" 750 series model coming out soon?

Check the "CES: 2007 Panasonic Plasma" thread. I think Panny has said that the 65" 600u's will be carried over unchanged for 2007.
post #648 of 743 Old 02-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Check the "CES: 2007 Panasonic Plasma" thread. I think Panny has said that the 65" 600u's will be carried over unchanged for 2007.

There will be no 65px700u this year since except for slight styling differences the 65px600u is already that tv. However, I don't think anyone knows for sure whether or not there will be a 750 version of the 65.
post #649 of 743 Old 02-24-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..manager nicely agreed this week to give me the display model until next month when they can deliver a new one. she indicates that she thinks a newer model is coming out and if so she says they will give me that one. has anybody else heard of a new 1080p 65" 750 series model coming out soon?

That's a decent offer on their part. (I hope they gave you an extra bunch of Reward Zone points along with a few other freebies for missing the Superbowl along with three weeks of TV.)

As was stated, no new 65" 1080p set coming out relatively soon. Certainly not within the timeframe you're expecting your replacement set...unless they take a really long time to locate one.
post #650 of 743 Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to send remote comands to the TV without sending IR commands via the front panel. I was just thinking if I get an RF remote, I need to program the TV via IR and everything else IR via RF (with blasters), but I don't want a blaster taped to the front side of the TV.

Am I missing something?
post #651 of 743 Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Panny makes a set of components that work with the set -- a Bluray disc player and a receiver. These are controlled by codes sent via the HDMI bus. It works great for us because you end up with a true "one-button play" system that anyone in our family can use. What I'm unsure of is whether or not each piece in the system is capable of receiving and retransmitting the codes. This might not help, but it's an option I was not immediately aware of...

post #652 of 743 Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
So brt3, when are getting your comparison of the Panny 65 to your Qualia?

Cheers,
post #653 of 743 Old 02-26-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

So brt3, when are getting your comparison of the Panny 65 to your Qualia?

I was going to try and get Jeff/UMR from AccuCal out to calibrate both sets before trying to do a real back-to-back. I will say that I'm very pleased with the Panny so far; we watched the Oscars last night and the set does a great job.

post #654 of 743 Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimse View Post

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to send remote comands to the TV without sending IR commands via the front panel. I was just thinking if I get an RF remote, I need to program the TV via IR and everything else IR via RF (with blasters), but I don't want a blaster taped to the front side of the TV.

Am I missing something?

What is wrong with sending IR to the TV?

I have the Harmony 890 and all components except the plasma are on RF->IR blasters. The TV doesn't need that since it is never blocked.
post #655 of 743 Old 02-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Larry, thanks for the reply.

I've never had a single remote with RF. Can I program (with most of them) RF for some of the components and IR for others (in the same macro for example)?

Mark
post #656 of 743 Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Larry, thanks for the reply.

I've never had a single remote with RF. Can I program (with most of them) RF for some of the components and IR for others (in the same macro for example)?

Mark

The only thing the RF does in such a remote, is besides sending out with IR is that it can also send out the same commands via RF to a separate IR transmitter/repeater that may be mounted on a shelf or a wall to help fill a room better with IR, or also with blasters that are hooked up to it that are placed by the devices they are to control. The TV and anything else, still will all be commanded actually by IR signals and not RF. It's just that some of them, such as anything that's hidden in a cabinet or another room, won't be directly from the remote itself.
post #657 of 743 Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You tell the 890 which components are controlled by the RF recevier and which are controled by the 890 itself.

I am pretty sure the 890 does not send both IR and RF to the same component.
post #658 of 743 Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

You tell the 890 which components are controlled by the RF recevier and which are controled by the 890 itself.

I am pretty sure the 890 does not send both IR and RF to the same component.

I think this is what I would want. I would hate for a double command to be sent and cause an out of sync situation. I'm trying to make this more bullet proof for my wife. This is why I thought RF to the TV would be 'more better' and not risk having the remote not pointed in the right direction.
post #659 of 743 Old 03-01-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is why I thought RF to the TV would be 'more better' and not risk having the remote not pointed in the right direction.

Very unlikely to be a problem.

I find it very difficult to not point the remote at the TV, even when operating other components. Years of conditioning has taken its toll.
post #660 of 743 Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 AM

panasonic says TH-65PX600U is no longer being produced. BB/Magnolia has none in stock. Does anybody know when the next 65" 1080p panasonic model (750 series?) will be hitting the stores?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page