post #721 of 743 Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndpr View Post

I would go for it. I paid $US9,000 and about $US800 for the stand. It is a great TV.
Very happy with it. Just bought the new Panasonic BD30 Blu Ray Player and it
works very well with the set. The picture is outstanding. Really get true 1080P picture.
Just watched Prison Break Blu Ray disc in 1080P. Huge difference than watching FOX in
720P. One thing about the TH65PX600U is that it only displays 1080P at 60 MH. You need a Blu Ray Player that displays 1080P at 24/60 MH. Not 24 MH. The Panasonic BD30 player displays at 24/60. No HD DVD players display at 24/60. Only at 24. The LG BH100 multi player only displays at 24. I bought an LG BH100 player and am using it on my NEC 61" plasma that only displays at 1080i.

You have the four year warranty. I have never had any problem with my TH65PX600U. Purchased January 2007. That price is very good. Go for it.

I also have a NEC 61XM2PA/S plasma which I purchased in February 2004. Never had one problem with that.

The plasma sets are much better than the Sony LCDs. I also own a 23" Sony Bravia LCD.

I would NOT go for it. Check out pricegrabber for the Panasonic TH-65PZ750U. It can save you 1 to 2K

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 743 Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yah I decided to go against it even though it was tempting, with the strong canadian dollar and boxing day coming up, I could just wait, or head down to america and pick up one up.
post #723 of 743 Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wrong thread, Mr Bob.
post #724 of 743 Old 12-24-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

Wrong thread, Mr Bob.

For those of you confused by this post, it's answering something I wrote concerning optics cleaning, which didn't really belong here...

My original answer stands, tho -

Plasmas need calibration too, or at least checkouts as to whether they do or not. They usually do. But has this model been getting reviews that say they really don't?

I have been running into plasmas these days that actually don't!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #725 of 743 Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 PM

bumping an old thread. How's everyone 600U doing? Every time I'm at BestBuy/Magnolia, I see the newer 65". What's the difference between the two model? I saw it on sale for $6k!! The set has been fabulous, especially after we bought a new receiver and subwoofer. It's been a year since my dad bought the display and I still enjoy it. My dad loves it too even though it's expensive (he always tell me the price when he pick up the Magnolia ad).
post #726 of 743 Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypaul View Post

I have both. Well, I have had the TH-65PX600U since they came out and I just set up my Pioneer PRO-150FD on Sunday Morning. . . I will post again, after I have had time to play with the settings on the Pioneer. However for right now I find myself prefering additional 5" real estate offered by the 65" Panny

Sorry to dig this back up, but I'm currently weighing between the Pio 6010FD and the Pany PZ750U. I would prefer the extra 5" of real estate, but not at the expense of contrast ratio and color accuracy.

Do you have any follow-up to your original opinion on one vs. the other?

Thanks,
-Dan Gordon
(try to graduate from a Mits Diamond 60" HD RPTV)
post #727 of 743 Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrungHieuSJ View Post

bumping an old thread. How's everyone 600U doing?

I love mine.

The only things that could make me want something else would be (both) better black level and 10 more inches.
post #728 of 743 Old 03-04-2008, 04:56 PM

wow...10 more inches. I think at that size, I would just get a projector.
post #729 of 743 Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow...10 more inches. I think at that size, I would just get a projector.

At CES in January I heard the head of Panasonic speak in person. Among the things said was re. plasmas - last year and the year before we were treated to seeing the largest plasma in the world - the 103" Panasonic. It was playing proprietary 1080p, shot specifically to show it off, and it looked incredible! Even as close as 10'.

The price I have heard quoted for that unit is $70K. Each.

This year he said that since it came out, they have placed over 3000 units of that model, and they are all cranking away today! (Do the math...!)

And then he upped even that one - he rolled out their newest addition - their 150" model! With a res of not 1920x1080, no. 4000x2000!

Just thought I'd share that here, for anybody who has missed it so far. They didn't have any 4Kx2K video material playing on it, they actually only had 1080i playing on it, don't know why they didn't use what they used last year.

It WAS sensational, tho! Have NO idea what that baby is gonna cost...

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #730 of 743 Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM

[quote=TrungHieuSJ;13187597]bumping an old thread. How's everyone 600U doing?

I still have mine, but I replaced it in my HT with the PRO-150FD, Coupled with the PDP-95FD, I find that I don't miss the 5".

This month's new word. The Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly .
post #731 of 743 Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

DK if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread - sorry, can't take the time to read the whole thing to see, not being an owner - but I just cal'd a latest gen Panny plas, and found something very good in there, in User.

It's Color Management. Again, forgive me if this is old news, but when ON, it restores the blues and greens lost in Panny's typical red pushed scenario. It does nothing to the reds - or the fleshtones - only the greens and blues.

For years I have been dubbing red push as the same as blue green diminish, when fleshtones are prioritized. This answers that.

With CM ON, the colors are much more lifelike and accurate when fleshtones are the priority. Once the fleshtones are completely accurate, everything else then falls right into place.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #732 of 743 Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

bumping an old thread. How's everyone 600U doing?

Great!

I bought mine in October of 2006 and I enjoy as much as the day I bought it. (Maybe moreso, since I now play Playstation 3 and Wii games on it as well as watching HD DVD, Blu-ray and SD movies.) Despite the cost, it's a purchase I have never regretted.
post #733 of 743 Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Hi all,

We are moving to a temporary rental and I've got to move my 65" beauty. Currently have it wall mounted but won't be able to do that. Have a great cherry cabinet, but need a TV stand. Are there any choices for stands and what and where do you recommend? Need to get it fairly quickly as we are moving it a couple of weeks.

Thanks all!

PS have had my Panny for just over a year and REALLY loved watching the Masters in HD!
post #734 of 743 Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post

Hi all,

We are moving to a temporary rental and I've got to move my 65" beauty. Currently have it wall mounted but won't be able to do that. Have a great cherry cabinet, but need a TV stand. Are there any choices for stands and what and where do you recommend? Need to get it fairly quickly as we are moving it a couple of weeks.

Thanks all!

PS have had my Panny for just over a year and REALLY loved watching the Masters in HD!

It sounds like you need the matching stand. I am not sure if you have the 65PX600U or 65PZ750U.

Matching stands:

65PX600U = TY-ST65PV500
65PZ750U = TY-ST65R2

These are about the only stands that are compatiable with your display.

Chris
post #735 of 743 Old 05-17-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Consider this a heads up. I have had my unit since 11/06. This afternoon when I turned it on a picture briefly appeared and then the set turned itself off. The red light was blinking 11 times. Thanks to BruZZi's data base I was able to determine that this was a fan SOS indicator. Given that I smoke and running a vacume cleaner is a quarterly event, perhaps I should have watched for dirt/dust accumulation more closely. Anyway, all 3 fan outlets were very dirty. Used a vacume with brissel brush attachment on every opening on the back of the set with special attention to the fans. Unplugged the unit, turned it back on and it is now working and looking as good as before. Hopefully this will continue. Perhaps there is a plasma god after all!
post #736 of 743 Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Hi all,

Completed the move in April, bought the Panny stand and love the new set up. I was one of the first buyers of the HD-DVD, and since I never bought many movies, I am looking to make the switch to Blu Ray. I see an earlier post regarding the 24/60 fps issue. Knowing that our set is limited to 1080P/60, what models are you recommending for the best match? I see Panasonic has some newer models, but since we don't have the 24/fps or the HDMI v. 1.3, what do you think?
post #737 of 743 Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Consider this a heads up. I have had my unit since 11/06. This afternoon when I turned it on a picture briefly appeared and then the set turned itself off. The red light was blinking 11 times. Thanks to BruZZi's data base I was able to determine that this was a fan SOS indicator. Given that I smoke and running a vacume cleaner is a quarterly event, perhaps I should have watched for dirt/dust accumulation more closely. Anyway, all 3 fan outlets were very dirty. Used a vacume with brissel brush attachment on every opening on the back of the set with special attention to the fans. Unplugged the unit, turned it back on and it is now working and looking as good as before. Hopefully this will continue. Perhaps there is a plasma god after all!

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll get a couple of friends over to help me take it off the wall then do a thorough cleaning. I haven't had a single problem with the unit, and I still get comments every time someone walks in the door. Doesn't hurt that I got it for $1000, new-in-box!

I was playing with the Gamma setting last night, and I really like it set to S-Curve. No one else mentioned this...maybe it's because I have the commercial edition.

Regardless, I'm also eternally grateful that it has discrete on/off remote codes for my remote macros! Incredible TV!
post #738 of 743 Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Just sold my set (reluctantly) and was convinced to buy a Sharp LCD. My advice to all.....DONT SELL THIS SET!!! Biggest mistake of my HDTV career. The Panny was the best TV I ever had and hands down the best picture. I'm not watching blurred sports and blotchy colors with over-bright backlighting. SOOOOO mad I sold it. Anyone in Florida have one to sell???
post #739 of 743 Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Just sold my set (reluctantly) and was convinced to buy a Sharp LCD. My advice to all.....DONT SELL THIS SET!!! Biggest mistake of my HDTV career. The Panny was the best TV I ever had and hands down the best picture. I'm not watching blurred sports and blotchy colors with over-bright backlighting. SOOOOO mad I sold it. Anyone in Florida have one to sell???
Sorry to hear that. With some persistence and searching various sources, you could probably find a 2013 Panasonic 60 Series.
post #740 of 743 Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks. I'd like to get a larger TV as I had a custom sound bar made for the Sharp. What about the larger Samsung plasma?
post #741 of 743 Old 06-14-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Thanks. I'd like to get a larger TV as I had a custom sound bar made for the Sharp. What about the larger Samsung plasma?
The Samsung has similar performance. A bit more banding, slightly higher black levels, but a brighter picture.
Motion handling should be similar to the Panny.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #742 of 743 Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 AM

7 years in, and this TV is still going strong. Made it across the country and is more reliable than my marriage. Never did clean the fans...I just keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens.

For years, I would chuckle because stores didn't have anything close to 65" and even longer, was pleased that I picked this us for so little. Now, I feel like if it died, I could find a reasonable replacement for less than $1500, but I hope I don't have to look for a while!
post #743 of 743 Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Cleaning the fans is incredibly simple, you don't need a vacuum cleaner to do it, tho it is slightly less messy.

Just get a clean paint brush with long bristles that you can poke into the fan openings (not while on, of course!). This will dislodge any dust there, and next time the fans operate they will force that loosened dust outa there.

Also a great way to clean the fronts of all your equipment. Since this is a dry method, you don't have to worry about residue or wet dust drying and caking anywhere on your displays or buttons, like you would with a wet method.

We use paint brushes all the time on the bench at the shop where I repair audio and video. It makes cleaning up the front of a unit a breeze, so you can get it back to its owner with a relatively like-new all clean appearance. Sometimes it is a little dirtier and needs a wet method, but most of the time just hitting it with a clean, dry paint brush works wonders.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 06-15-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page