TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 981 Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering that the 9UK does not have a built in speaker(unless one decided to get them at additional cost--I would opt to use my av system), does it make sense to get a HDMI blade. There's no need for sound, so I should just stick with DVI-D blade? Are there any gotcha that I have to worry about? Let's say that most of my source only has HDMI, then I would need to get HDMI->DVI-D adaptor, will there any PQ issue when using this kind of adaptor? What about HDCP, is it even an issue as well on DVI-D?

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Hey...I like the displays, but what is the reason for placing two plasmas perpendicular to each other on adjacent walls? Wouldn't it be better to center one in the viewing area and put the other in a secondary area or bedroom? My house has a living room, family room, and bonus room, and a sitting room in my bedroom. All four are configured with a couch, loveseat, and several chairs(except the bedroom, which has a couple chairs). I would love to have a couple spare plasmas to put in my living room (my wife's favorite room) or my bonus room (the catch-all room at the moment) or my bedroom. I just can't see the point of placing two plasmas the way that you have them.

BluRay titles - 46 and counting
BluRay players - PS3 and BDP-S1
post #273 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post

Hey...I like the displays, but what is the reason for placing two plasmas perpendicular to each other on adjacent walls? Wouldn't it be better to center one in the viewing area and put the other in a secondary area or bedroom? My house has a living room, family room, and bonus room, and a sitting room in my bedroom. All four are configured with a couch, loveseat, and several chairs(except the bedroom, which has a couple chairs). I would love to have a couple spare plasmas to put in my living room (my wife's favorite room) or my bonus room (the catch-all room at the moment) or my bedroom. I just can't see the point of placing two plasmas the way that you have them.

The dual screen setup is used for multitasking in HTPC/PC use. I could be running other programs (Ripping/Encoding files, Burning CDs/DVDs, browse internet, etc) on the screen 2 and watch a full screen movie on screen 1. Or just to be cool, run movies in both screens in clone mode, or even PC gaming. Anybody who does multitasking would be nice to use dual screen. Those who do not use PC for watching. For general family home entertainment use, you wouldn't need this setup.

Oh and I forgot to mention, with such setup I can directly compare the PQ between the two TVs, setting for setting.
post #274 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM

This may have been asked before but has anyone had any problem with not being able to adjust color saturation on DVI or HDMI inputs. Is the color saturation always right for DVD, cable box, etc.
post #275 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McGuire View Post

This may have been asked before but has anyone had any problem with not being able to adjust color saturation on DVI or HDMI inputs. Is the color saturation always right for DVD, cable box, etc.

No problem. Plz ask. The answer will be delivered.....

The answer is no. When using DVI, HDMI, and VGA, the color saturation and hue settings are not available directly from the TV itself. It gets "dis-engaged", or disabled when using such connection. Only when you connect via Component, Composite, and S-Video is when it will unlock the color and hue settings from the TV.

When using such digital connections(DVI, HDMI, & VGA) use the color control settings from the incoming source device, which is, your external DVD player or any video receivers. For PC, control the color saturation and hue setting from the video card display property in windows. Your question has been well answered.
post #276 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

World class HD screenshot from BSHi Japanese HD station.

1440 x 1080i MPEG2-TS HD 25Mbps

Let alone the screenshot is breath-taking. What's amazing is that it looks better and even sharper in real-time viewing. The picture is more "real life-like" when actually viewing.

post #277 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You can just see that 'window' effect.
Sweet!

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #278 of 981 Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

You can just see that 'window' effect.
Sweet!

Thanks Elemental1.

Note: In this shots, the camera capturing color is the limiting factor.
The red you see in the pics here are not as good as my real-time viewing. In real-time viewing the that red is darker and deeper red! And the shadow area in the red in her dress is darker. I thought I almost pee'ed my pants.

post #279 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

No problem. Plz ask. The answer will be delivered.....

The answer is no. When using DVI, HDMI, and VGA, the color saturation and hue settings are not available directly from the TV itself. It gets "dis-engaged", or disabled when using such connection. Only when you connect via Component, Composite, and S-Video is when it will unlock the color and hue settings from the TV.

When using such digital connections(DVI, HDMI, & VGA) use the color control settings from the incoming source device, which is, your external DVD player or any video receivers. For PC, control the color saturation and hue setting from the video card display property in windows. Your question has been well answered.

Cheez, do you know if this applies to all of the 9th gen models..like the 600u or is it just the 9uk?
post #280 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

Cheez, do you know if this applies to all of the 9th gen models..like the 600u or is it just the 9uk?

It *may* apply the same with the Consumer models but I am not sure.

My gut feeling tells me it's the same way because this is more of interface-based rather than the TV. Oh BruZZi where are you Plz plz come. Help me answer some of these questions. Hey Elemental, let us know if you have found this since you have the PX500U Vierra. Oh, RichB may know this too. I will give these guys a PM.
post #281 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

It *may* apply the same with the Consumer models but I am not sure.

My gut feeling tells me it's the same way because this is more of interface-based rather than the TV. Oh BruZZi where are you Plz plz come. Help me answer some of these questions. Hey Elemental, let us know if you have found this since you have the PX500U Vierra. Oh, RichB may know this too. I will give these guys a PM.

My 9UK is at a vacation home in Maine, so I will not see her again until next summer.

My understanding is that this has not changed. The presence of color controls has to do with the signal type. RGB will not have them. The other method YCbCr signals will have color controls. This holds true for HDMI and DVI connections, I am not sure about VGA connection but I think it is the same.

Cheez uses a PC so he can make these adjustments there. I use a Lumagen HDQ scaler so it can be used for color adjustments (as would any scaler).

Hope that helps,

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #282 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your input!!! Rich.
post #283 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BruZZi where are you Plz plz come. Help me answer some of these questions.

Oh man, I get that feeling many times... just today I had to answer almost 20 PMs.

BTW guys, I guess I'm getting a TH-50PH9Uk pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

My understanding is that this has not changed. The presence of color controls has to do with the signal type. RGB will not have them. The other method YCbCr signals will have color controls. This holds true for HDMI and DVI connections, I am not sure about VGA connection but I think it is the same.

Yup. If you set the Component/VGA input to component color and tint controls will be available. Setting RGB those controls will be disabled.
post #284 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BruZZi, your response is much appreciated as well.

BruZZi, I thought you already had bought the 9UK. I must've mis-read. Well, congrats for preparing to buy the 9UK! It is an amazing display. The best black level I have seen.
post #285 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BruZZi, I thought you already had bought the 9UK. I must've mis-read. Well, congrats for preparing to buy the 9UK! It is an amazing display. The best black level I have seen.

I was actually planning to buy a 58" Plasma Display. But I sold my TH-50PHD8UK to my cousin a few days ago (after he begged me for weeks ). So I'll get the TH-50PH9Uk and wait until fall to decide if I keep it or change it for a newer generation Model.

Looking forward to check the improved blacks on the 9th Generation Panasonic Plasmas. Should be fun.
post #286 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM

How are you able to do the 1080i w/ a 1366x768 display? I tried earlier today to play a 1080i movie but it cut it down black bars on the top. The tv is capable of 1920x1080i though.. Not understanding.
post #287 of 981 Old 02-16-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfetew View Post

How are you able to do the 1080i w/ a 1366x768 display? I tried earlier today to play a 1080i movie but it cut it down black bars on the top. The tv is capable of 1920x1080i though.. Not understanding.

Sounds like you were viewing a 2.35:1 widescreen HD movie. If so, it would show black bars on the top and bottom. This would happen in both broadcast and the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. There are 16:9 and 1.85:1 screen formats in some of the movies, which will fill up the screen(with the 1.85:1 screen format being very close to filling up the screen) so you get no black bars. You just gotta look around. Just to name a few, the movie "Chicago" in Blu-Ray has been released recently. It's in 16:9 format. The movie "Crank" is also at 16:9. There are some sites that list all movies with screen formats so you know what to look for.
post #288 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

More Japanese HDs

Bonnie Pink

This shot was taken farther away from the TV, about the same viewing distance where I sit.

Ayumi Hamasaki

post #289 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Crap, Costco is asking for 20 business days to deliver the TH-50PH9UK.
post #290 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Okay, hopefully this will be one my last questions Cheez

Does the 9uk come with an RGB connection standard or would I have to buy a blade for that too? I cant seem to find any pictures of the back looks like out of the box. According to one website it comes with a "VGA RGB Signal terminal 15-pin mini d-Sub" I'm not quite sure what that is..please explain. So, am I correct in thinking all I would have to do is buy the VGA adapter to play my xbox 360? Or would I need an extra blade?

Also, If I decided to go with a DVI input for something would have to buy an additional blade for that too?

Thanks again for your help buddy. Me love you long time
post #291 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

This should answer all your questions. http://www.visualapex.com/ProductSupport/TH-50PH9UK.pdf
I'm also getting ready to buy the DVI blade for my 9UK.
post #292 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay, hopefully this will be one my last questions Cheez

Please ask as much as you'd like. Getting the info you need is important. I'll answer what I can to help.

Quote:

Does the 9uk come with an RGB connection standard or would I have to buy a blade for that too?

Yes, the 9UK comes with it as a standard. No, no need to buy one.

Quote:

I cant seem to find any pictures of the back looks like out of the box. According to one website it comes with a "VGA RGB Signal terminal 15-pin mini d-Sub" I'm not quite sure what that is..please explain.

Yes, the D-Sub 15pin is the connector for VGA connection. Can be used by PC or any other device that has VGA output, like XBox or any other.

Quote:

So, am I correct in thinking all I would have to do is buy the VGA adapter to play my xbox 360?

Exactly. It's really not that complicated to get it setup with the 9UK or any other Professional series Plasmas. My 7UY works the same way too.

Quote:

Also, If I decided to go with a DVI input for something would have to buy an additional blade for that too?

For that, yes, since it does not come with DVI blade.

Basically all you have to get is DVI blade or HDMI blade depending on what you want to do. ..... and a stand.
post #293 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Crap, Costco is asking for 20 business days to deliver the TH-50PH9UK.

Ugggg..... Costco sucks!!

That's just too long of wait. The only thing I bought at Costco was a pack of sausage.....

I'm sure you'll be a happy camper once you get your hands on it.
post #294 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cant seem to find any pictures of the back looks like out of the box.

Here: http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=13
post #295 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ugggg..... Costco sucks!!

That's just too long of wait. The only thing I bought at Costco was a pack of sausage.....

Quote:

I'm sure you'll be a happy camper once you get your hands on it.

And I'm sure I will.
post #296 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Uhh weeeeeee!

Still, the red in real-time viewing is better. It's crisper, wetter, and darker redder red! But the "skin tone" of her body in these pics is almost dead-on.

post #297 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Wa ..... these are pro models ......

Movie Score Collector!!!
post #298 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow great pics Cheez.
post #299 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks again for replies Cheez and Bruzzi, you guys are true assets to this forum!

Now...off to pass the GRE so I can reward myself with a TV !
post #300 of 981 Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the compliments. I appreciate it.

I also thank BruZZi and RichB for helping with the questions. Much much appreciated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page