TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS
BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 07:58 PM 03-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

That's the understatement of the month

Okay, so FINALLY I get this tv in and I have a REALLY dumb question. I realize this thing does not have a built in tuner....so how the hell do I watch cable? I have a comcast digital cable box, but don't you have to connect the coax (I think thats the name) to get it to work? And I dont see a place to screw in the cable

I'm really not that stupid........

Oh by the way I'll post some pics soon!

The coax cable > Digital Cable Box input.

And you can use the Composite, S-Video, Component and/or HDMI outputs from the Digital Cable Box to get the Picture.

IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 08:11 PM 03-12-2007
congrats, sigteacher. i'm happy for you.

did you get the BNC plugs as well? If you use component or composite connection it will require BNC plugs on one end of the cables.

feel free to ask us if you've got any questions...


btw, the Casino Royale is coming tomorrow. I've been waiting for that movie for ages.


BruZZi, how do you like your new 9UK so far?
BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 08:37 PM 03-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post


BruZZi, how do you like your new 9UK so far?

LOVE IT !!!

Yesterday I watched Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
Man, what a stunning picture!!! It looked like a HD DVD.


I'm now enjoying SD DVDs even more.
ujb's Avatar ujb 06:37 AM 03-13-2007
Cheez, Elemental1, Bruzzi,

I have been reading these threads for a long time, and was set to finally purchase a 50" plasma. I had it narrowed down to a Pio Elite 1140, and was all set to make the purchase,... until I saw these pictures! Now I am not so sure..

I have seen a Elite 1140 in person, I have not seen a 9UK in person, but these pictures are better than anything I have seen on the 1140. Since your opinions are highly respected, I'm hoping you can help me, so here is my question....

I know the 9UK can display a stunning picture with DVD's. The main attraction to the Pio Elite 1140 is the scaler. I watch allot of sports, some of which is HD, but much of it is not. What would I need to do to get the 9UK to display a comparable picture to the Elite 1140 with digital cable? I know SD is SD, and I have not seen the 1140 with SD cable, but from what I have read, it does a very good job displaying poor quality signals. Is there anything I can do with the 9UK to get it close to the 1140 in that regards? What about getting a Yamaha RX-V2700 with the ABT chip in it to upscale the SD signal?

Scott
ptysell's Avatar ptysell 09:08 AM 03-13-2007
I think that it kinda boils down to this which I will illustrate with s story. I do not know your situation but I think that it applies to a lot of people.

I finally convinced my father to purchase a new 60+ inch DLP tv upgrading his TV from the 1980s - you would think he would more often being a doctor and all. At the time he had BASIC cable not even digital. He ran the cable to the built in NTSC tuner and was stunned with the picture as it was "good enough".

Every time I saw him, I tried to convince him to but a ATSC antenna at a minimum or get HD cable. He would just not do it. One day, we were at a baseball game. He usually gets amazing seats - guess that is where our HT and baseball budgets are different - but I was running down my regular list of the benefits of HD and this guy in-front of us joined in. The next day my father called Comcast and had HD Cable within a week.

After seeing HD with his own eyes, the SD content (that was not even digital) became a joke to him and he will ONLY watch HD now.

I think that it is more of you don't really understand HD until you get it in your home on YOUR tv.

I am really happy with my TH-50PH9UK. I watch SD-Digital-Cable on it and it looks fine but nothing to write home about. You have to remember after all, Th-50PH9UK is primarily a 1366x768 *display* and not a TV.

This might not be possible but record some SD content to a blank DVD and bring it to the store. They may or may not let you play it. I could not even get a home theater store (Magnolia in a Best Buy) to display a in store feed to a 1080p PIO so that I could compare the PIO to the Panny 600u. They said there wasnt a hook up where that display was.

I know that the 9UK is tough to track down in person but once you do, it is worth it. You should check out the sticky at the top and post there.
sigteacher's Avatar sigteacher 10:55 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

congrats, sigteacher. i'm happy for you.

did you get the BNC plugs as well? If you use component or composite connection it will require BNC plugs on one end of the cables.

feel free to ask us if you've got any questions...


btw, the Casino Royale is coming tomorrow. I've been waiting for that movie for ages.


BruZZi, how do you like your new 9UK so far?

Thanks Cheez. Yes I got the BNC plugs for free thanks to V.A Thanks for the info.

I want so badly to crank up all the settings so I can drool....come on 100 hours!

We look forward to seeing pics of Casino Royale
ptysell's Avatar ptysell 11:20 AM 03-13-2007
Cheez, I sent you a PM with a link.
cappra's Avatar cappra 11:38 AM 03-13-2007
I would never make a buying decision by viewing screenshots! they are pretty useless, with too many variables. Don't be fooled by the store settings. Spend a little time adjusting either panel and they should look fantastic. Again, please don't be influenced by any screenshots, they are just for fun and not indicative of a unit's real world performance. The Pannie and the Pioneer are both fantastic performers.
sigteacher's Avatar sigteacher 11:46 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra View Post

I would never make a buying decision by viewing screenshots! they are pretty useless, with too many variables. Don't be fooled by the store settings. Spend a little time adjusting either panel and they should look fantastic. Again, please don't be influenced by any screenshots, they are just for fun and not indicative of a unit's real world performance. The Pannie and the Pioneer are both fantastic performers.

Good point but Cheeze's pics are hard to ignore Another suggestion that people make is to bring one of your own DVD's and ask the salesman to hook up a dvd to each set. If they want to make some money they will abide by your request.
blacksheep312's Avatar blacksheep312 04:14 PM 03-13-2007
My baby came in today. Just turned on Star Wars, OMG! :0. So far I love this TV. What are the exact break in settings and requirements. I can't rem. where i read them on here. Will post up pics soon.
IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 05:13 PM 03-13-2007
People, please ignore cappra. He doesn't quite really know what he is talking about. Set the ignore feature on. Don't even bother wasting time with this guy. Don't even respond to "it". I suggest rely on true professionals like Rich Harkness, Rich B, Ken Ross, BruZZi, JerryNY, and more..


Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

LOVE IT !!!

Yesterday I watched Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
Man, what a stunning picture!!! It looked like a HD DVD.


I'm now enjoying SD DVDs even more.

Glad to hear!!! You said it so right. The 9UK literally makes standard DVDs like HD-DVD with such rich, deep color and the monstrous black levels. Makes any images look rich.


I got the movie Casino Royale!!! at Walmart. I got there at 5 pm and only one left, unbelievable...... I knew that was gonna happen, though.

I am watching the Casino Royale right now, as we speak. I am afraid to say this is the Crank killer. The pictures are incredibly rich and the colors are more than plentyful. It is also much brighter, crisper, and much more life-like than in the movie theaters!! Oh My God.............. this movie is the BOMB.
BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 05:52 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

People, please ignore cappra. He is here to rain the parade. Set the ignore feature on. Don't even bother wasting time with this guy. Don't even respond to "it".





Quote:


Glad to hear!!! You said it so right. The 9UK literally makes standard DVDs like HD-DVD with such rich, deep color and the monstrous black levels. Makes any images look rich.

One thing I didn't mention...

I'm using Bias Lighting (Backlighting).

And that can definitively improve the PQ dramatically (eyes perception).

Highly Recommended.


Quote:


I got the movie Casino Royale!!! at Walmart. I got there at 5 pm and only one left, unbelievable...... I knew that was gonna happen, though.

I am watching the Casino Royale right now, as we speak. I am afraid to say this is the Crank killer. The pictures are incredibly rich and the colors are more than plentyful. It is also much brighter, crisper, and much more life-like than in the movie theaters!! Oh My God.............. this movie is the BOMB.


I'm dying to see that movie. Please take some pics.
cappra's Avatar cappra 06:38 PM 03-13-2007
Cheez,
I guess when anyone else comes into this thread with an opinion, you jump on him and beat him to the floor! I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade but to give my personal opinion on the subject. I didn't personally attack you or anyone else in this forum. I just stated that I didn't think it was a good idea to base a buying decision on screen shots alone. What the heck do screen shots have to do with being a "true professional" anyway? What does that mean? I have a plasma, LCD and a projector, does that make me a "true professional"? No, just an average consumer, so I guess that doesn't give me the right to express my opinion and disagree with something the "big cheez" has to say. Wonder how many people have you on their ignore list?
blacksheep312's Avatar blacksheep312 07:48 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

I will!!!!..... shortly.

thanks..

OK, got a question Cheez. I got the tv today, box in perfect condition, screen is perfect, no bad pixels.

I lowered the Picture and Brightness both to -10. Is there any other setting you reccomend I change, I could not find much material on this subject.

Also, I have noticed some of my SD DVD's look perfect when zoomed in off my Oppo 971. For example, My Star Wars attack of the clone, looks wonderful. But LOTR the fellowship of the ring does not. Is there something on the back of the DVD im looking for to get a better mapping of the movie on the screen. I still dont know all the settings for the TV and DVD player. But I have tried 720 and 1080I off the Oppo, but dont really notice much of a difference.

Im still very new to all this, but I am just strickly playing regular dvd's on the 971 to 720 and 1080. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Elemental1's Avatar Elemental1 07:54 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra View Post

I have a plasma, LCD and a projector, does that make me a "true professional"?

What plasma?
Also, with pics like that of your 'big screen', Cheez will need to school you a bit.
IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 08:57 PM 03-13-2007
hey! Thanks for the cheers up, Elemental1. That ignore button I started using works wonders... it is whole lot better than me trying to argue with that little one wasting my time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep312 View Post

OK, got a question Cheez. I got the tv today, box in perfect condition, screen is perfect, no bad pixels.

I lowered the Picture and Brightness both to -10. Is there any other setting you reccomend I change, I could not find much material on this subject.

Also, I have noticed some of my SD DVD's look perfect when zoomed in off my Oppo 971. For example, My Star Wars attack of the clone, looks wonderful. But LOTR the fellowship of the ring does not. Is there something on the back of the DVD im looking for to get a better mapping of the movie on the screen. I still dont know all the settings for the TV and DVD player. But I have tried 720 and 1080I off the Oppo, but dont really notice much of a difference.

Im still very new to all this, but I am just strickly playing regular dvd's on the 971 to 720 and 1080. Any help would be great. Thanks.

First of all, congrats on your new TV!!!

What sort of video problem are you getting with the LOTR DVD movie? Please describe the PQ problem if you can. I may be able to help..

As for the TV break-in setting, that is good. Lowering the picture level to -10 is pretty much it. I personally didn't even lower it. I just kept the images moving, no static images. But it is nothing wrong with lowering it. It is just easier on the TV right out of the box. You could lower the sharpness setting, but then again, you really don't have to, unless you leave static images more often.
blacksheep312's Avatar blacksheep312 10:38 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

First of all, congrats on your new TV!!!

Well, when I played the Star wars, I can't rem. if I told the tv or the oppo to zoom in to fill the screen, the quality of the image was still close to perfect and had that HD look. When I put in the LOTR it was blurry like a zoomed image normally looks like of poor quality.

I rented the Casino Royale tonight as well (SD) and its the same effect as LOTR. Do I need to change aspects or zoom? when its not zoomed in it looks perfect, but its not taking up the whole screen. Maybe you could walk me through getting it full screen and clear, or is this something I will have to wait for till I get my HTPC or HD DVD/Blue Ray?
avs2avs's Avatar avs2avs 12:41 AM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

People, please ignore cappra. He doesn't quite really know what he is talking about. Set the ignore feature on. Don't even bother wasting time with this guy. Don't even respond to "it".

Doesn't know what he's is talking about???
All he's saying is that people should not base their buying decisions SOLELY on screenshot photos. And that's NOT an opinion but a FACT!
If I showed you a bunch of "great" shots from Vizio, would that make YOU go out and buy one? I think not.
I do enjoy looking at your screenshots (keep them coming!) and I really appreciate your willingness to help people on here, but don't jump and belittle some one just because he/she disagrees with you or offers an alternate view. It makes you look like an insecure tool... I mean *fool
So chill out a bit, life's too short!
cappra's Avatar cappra 01:10 AM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

What plasma?
Also, with pics like that of your 'big screen', Cheez will need to school you a bit.

I have a TH42PH9UK. I will admit that the projector screenshot posted leaves alot to be desired. I was mainly showing the layout of my theatre room.
ptysell's Avatar ptysell 09:08 AM 03-14-2007
The only thing screen shots give you is an idea of what the plasma looks like. ANY screen shot will look WORSE then the actual plasma in some aspects and better in others.

You camera compresses colors, smooths edges, JPEG supports 8-bits per pixels, ect... You are additionally purporting a display with superior black levels but then you view it on an LCD? While it does give you an idea of black levels relative to other items - such as the room - any picture can not reproduce the PDP.

I could go on but there is really no need. I think that most people understand that you should not base a purchase on pictures alone. I think that that moral should not be base your purchase on a picture or recommendation like so many do but base the purchase on how a properly set up PDP looks to you.
sigteacher's Avatar sigteacher 09:35 AM 03-14-2007
So Bruzzi, what is this Bias Lighting you speak of?

Also, it sounds like you are enjoying your tv. Aren't you concerned about the so called "break-in period"?
IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 11:24 AM 03-14-2007
It's not quite that simple as saying taking screenshots portrays nothing about the picture quality the plasma displays. I can tell the difference looking at the screenshots that are SD and HD, also the difference of detail being resolved and color tones. The screenshots I have taken are so precise and so well taken, I can see the difference between the 9UK and the 7UY (see page 1 and up). Even others have agreed. The better you take the pictues the closer you will get the picture to the real-time scene. I strive for the best possible pictures that are closest to what is actually being display on the screen.


The worst part about these people(you know who) is that they tend to make "general statement" saying that the screenshots indicate nothing about the PQ displayed by the panels, but not thinking about the other half of the equations. You are setting only one rule and no other exceptions. That is the dumbest statement you could make.




ptysell, based on your comments it should be pointless to post a picture that you have requested me in PM, right? My god I'm glad I don't have to put up with it. Makes it easier for me.




If the pictures bother you that much, you don't have look at them. All you have to do is don't click my thread. But don't go around telling that the screenshots mean nothing when not taking other things into account, such as the quality of the video source/content, direct feed(direct and short cabling), calibrations of the TV and the internal video property settings, well controlled lighting environment and professional camera settings and techniques, etc. You are only looking at one thing, I'm looking at ALL these factors that are involved. As for the compression, try to keep the picture resolution the same as what was taken originally. You can then maintain the sharpness due to no compression. If there is no choice but to take pics at higher resolution, you can then compress it to a bit smaller size and increase the sharpness by a few notches in the photo editing software. Also the question of how close you snap shot the screen of your TV, the smaller you go the blurrier the images will be, and will make any CRAPPY images look night and tight. You think I'm dumb enough to not know that? The general statement about screenshot does not convey of what the real-time viewing is correct, but don't go around spreading shi#t on all threads. Be more careful before spewing your mouth. That is what I am talking about.
blacksheep312's Avatar blacksheep312 12:00 PM 03-14-2007
Oh great, now its gone too far, to where my question wont get answered. People can't take it somewhere else?

Screen shots for people who like from a crappy camera!


BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 01:26 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

So Bruzzi, what is this Bias Lighting you speak of?

Check out the following thread for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527

Quote:


Also, it sounds like you are enjoying your tv. Aren't you concerned about the so called "break-in period"?

As I always do... I enjoy my Plasma since day one.

For several days: When I go to work (or sometimes overnight) I leave the TV on playing with a channel that doesn't have logos using the "ZOOM" mode (to fill the whole screen) for the break-in period.


Another thing to do to improve PQ is reduce Overscan.

As Rich Harkness would say: "Die Overscan, Die !!! "


.
BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 02:32 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep312 View Post

when its not zoomed in it looks perfect, but its not taking up the whole screen. Maybe you could walk me through getting it full screen...

2.35:1 Movies (The majority) are wider than your 16x9 (1.78:1) TV's aspect so the black bars (top/bottom) are normal.

1.85:1 Movies will fill the whole screen.


Zooming 2.35:1 Movies will degrade and cut left/right content of the picture.
sigteacher's Avatar sigteacher 02:49 PM 03-14-2007
Thanks for the reply Bruzzi.

blacksheep, that Yoda pic still looks damn good even on your "crappy" camera
IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 03:29 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep312 View Post

Well, when I played the Star wars, I can't rem. if I told the tv or the oppo to zoom in to fill the screen, the quality of the image was still close to perfect and had that HD look. When I put in the LOTR it was blurry like a zoomed image normally looks like of poor quality.

There are many factors that can result in poor PQ. Here are some to list:

- Video encode, the content itself, how well it was transferred. It can vary greatly from DVD to DVD movies. Usually the later ones have high transfer, as a result, they have great deep color tones. The images are also more 3-Dimensional. The picture content itself can greatly affect the displayed PQ.

- Use the zoom features wisely. For some movies, to get some descency of the image quality you may have to use the film's intended screen ratio, widescreens like 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 for example.

- Some good quality external video scalers or good upconverting DVD player should help with the "pixelations".


Quote:


I rented the Casino Royale tonight as well (SD) and its the same effect as LOTR. Do I need to change aspects or zoom? when its not zoomed in it looks perfect, but its not taking up the whole screen. Maybe you could walk me through getting it full screen and clear, or is this something I will have to wait for till I get my HTPC or HD DVD/Blue Ray?

If you use PC, it does have better option in zoom feature and will simply streatch the image vertically so there is no cropping involved.

But with external video players, I can't say for sure how well it will display them. You could try "JUST" mode or original aspect ratio. You really shouldn't be expecting super PQ using the Zoom mode. Zoom mode I want you to use is for "breaking-in", not to make images look better. Try to bare with that for a while till the break-in is done. You can then enjoy the intended original aspect ratio with superior IQ. Stretching the original content aspect ratio will only deterriate the IQ on ANY TVs so if you're after best quality, original aspect ratio.... meow meow.

EDIT: Oops, BruZZi has already responded to this question. Thanks BruZZi.


btw, blacksheep, congrats. Your TV looks good.
IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 07:34 PM 03-14-2007
Ok, the bomb is here.

This is just the beginning... there will probably be 160 more pics after this, just for this title alone. j/k..... but it's still going to be a massive number, something like in 90 range.



James Bond: Casino Royale - 1080p 2.40:1 AVC/MPEG4 BD-50




































































































IamAnoobieCheez's Avatar IamAnoobieCheez 07:46 PM 03-14-2007




















Oh dear.....

BruZZi's Avatar BruZZi 08:55 AM 03-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

Ok, the bomb is here.

This is just the beginning... there will probably be 160 more pics after this, just for this title alone. j/k..... but it's still going to be a massive number, something like in 90 range.
James Bond: Casino Royale - 1080p 2.40:1 AVC/MPEG4 BD-50

Wow, great pics Cheez.

NOTE: C'mon, I want to see Aston Martins


BTW: I watched "The Searchers" HD Version yesterday. Boy, It's amazing how an old movie can look so good. One of the best PQ I've seen so far in HD-DVD.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop