TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about remove the front bezel and plastic front cover from the plasma?

Then i would have the plasma panel directly with no plastic cover in front, just like a CRT monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB$ View Post

Cheez,
I am new to the site and found your thread...lots of work by you!
I have a TH-50PHD7UY and was wondering if you could shoot me your settings...I am having a heck of a time finding good settings anywhere.
Thanks.

Hi DB$, welcome aboard. Before I can tell you more info on the settings what is your exact setup? What is your source? (HTPC, External DVD/Blu-ray player, STB, etc.) What type of connections do you use? (Component, VGA, S-Video, HDMI, DVI, etc). I recommend different calibration settings depending on what source you are using and what type of connection you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid View Post

What about remove the front bezel and plastic front cover from the plasma?

Then i would have the plasma panel directly with no plastic cover in front, just like a CRT monitor.

I wouldn't go as far as removing the front bezel and front cover the panel.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM

what site do you use to get these dramas with such HD? d-addict? also do you understand both Korean and Japanese to watch it without subtitles?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12agonxboi View Post

what site do you use to get these dramas with such HD? d-addict? also do you understand both Korean and Japanese to watch it without subtitles?

i'll send you a PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Hey Cheez:

I love this thread, it's inspired me to start one of my own for my Pio Kuro.

Reading back all the way, I can't believe that some people were giving you a hard time for being a fan of J-Pop and Hello! Project. No need to have to justify that sort of thing.

I was 16 years old and living with my family in Japan (my dad was there working for Honda) when Morning Musume hit the big time with Love Machine in 2000. 5 years after moving back to Canada and almost 10 years after Love Machine, I'm still a huge fan and still download any and all Hello! Project stuff I can get my hands on.

Good stuff.

You do know that Momusu is coming to the US soon. I wish I could make it down from Toronto, but can't.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi Shiba View Post

Hey Cheez:

I love this thread, it's inspired me to start one of my own for my Pio Kuro.

Reading back all the way, I can't believe that some people were giving you a hard time for being a fan of J-Pop and Hello! Project. No need to have to justify that sort of thing.

I was 16 years old and living with my family in Japan (my dad was there working for Honda) when Morning Musume hit the big time with Love Machine in 2000. 5 years after moving back to Canada and almost 10 years after Love Machine, I'm still a huge fan and still download any and all Hello! Project stuff I can get my hands on.

Good stuff.

You do know that Momusu is coming to the US soon. I wish I could make it down from Toronto, but can't.

Hi Wasabi Shiba, thanks for the support! Yea I use to watch Morning Musume & Hello Project in HD a lot.... my reasons are:

- Great HD picture quality.
- We get to see cute Japanese girls.

Risa Niigaki is my favorite girl in Musume..

I go around try to find best HD (and sometimes SD) source possible. This has been very enjoyable to me... I also like cute Japanese and Korean girls... I don't mind cute Chinese girls but I have yet to find any HD for that...

Thanks for reminding me about watching J-Pop and Morning Musume stuff. I will try get back into that and start watching.. No, I didn't know Musume is coming to US soon. I must've been really behind with stuff...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr689 View Post

Is this really Lou Diamond Phillips? He's really versatile

I just thought it was funny
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Hey Cheez:

I posted pics of some Japanese HD (mostly Hello! Project performances) on my Pio Kuro, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3550

Have a look and tell me what you think!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi Shiba View Post

Hey Cheez:

I posted pics of some Japanese HD (mostly Hello! Project performances) on my Pio Kuro, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3550

Have a look and tell me what you think!

Wow, nice work, Wasabi Shiba. Some of the pics there have skin tones spot on. I'm sure the black levels are top notch. You do great job taking pics too. What camera are you using?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Thanks man. Camera is a Nikon D60 with 18-55 telephoto lens.

I posted a few more, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3558
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Some Japanese Pop...

Japanese Pop Singer: Hirahara Ayaka
1920 x 1080
MBC-HD

Oooooo nice one.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:

IamAnoobieCheez:
cute chick.

Very
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

Very

thanks.. Gotta see that drama to see more of her... Too bad the source isn't spectacular.... though some scenes are pretty descent.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 AM

So where does the picture quality of this display sit in the realm of the new school stuff Panny is and will be rolling out?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 AM

Sad...no nice photos to see...loved this thread and person so much. Come back please, come back!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 199
His last visit to the forum was 10/23/10, so he's alive, at least.

I suspect that he's been in a long holding pattern, not compelled enough to make another panel change just yet, based upon the relatively small incremental model changes of the last couple years. Especially after having spent so much time tweaking his current one.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I suspect that he's been in a long holding pattern, not compelled enough to make another panel change just yet, based upon the relatively small incremental model changes of the last couple years. Especially after having spent so much time tweaking his current one.

That's my thought as well. I'm trying to get ahold of him or anyone really for a little help on my own 9 series for use via DVI connect as he's done it. Just from what I have seen, other panels have surpassed this one, but the only one I'd really make a leap to is the Pioneer monitors or maybe an LED based panel some years from now. I wouldn't anticipate having either Pio or LED, though, until it's 5 years from now and the prices have dropped down severely
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post

So where does the picture quality of this display sit in the realm of the new school stuff Panny is and will be rolling out?

Yo dude Sorry for the real late reply LOL! To answer your question I honestly think the 2004 tech PHD7UY (or 9UK, OR 8UK) is still holding its own compare to the late gen consumer Panny plasmas out there. The level of 3D depth / punchness, clarity, and sharpness is through the roof! My 7UY panny is still hanging there but last year those hooks started losing strength and started to bend! LOL So I had to replace the hooks on the wall with a higher strength steel and now it's all good and dandy. I am still loving my plasma! King of the king plasmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post

Sad...no nice photos to see...loved this thread and person so much. Come back please, come back!!!

Sorry I got a little tired of taking pictures... I'll try taking some more pics when I get some time.. hoping to take some better pictures. I now have uncompressed 1080i drama files and the source is pristine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

YEA I'M STILL ALIVE! I haven't visited the forum for quite long time now...

Quote:

AMEN!!! awesome post! That's exactly why I've been holding on to buying me a new one. OH you can bet that it's gonna be another Panny and not the Pioneer. I need a big jump in PQ from what I have now cause 9UK gave me no improvement in overall PQ. Things I'm looking for are retarded level of punchness, crystal-like and ultra sharp pictures.. and the new models don't seem any better but then they are displayed in the store so.. I hate soft pictures and I'm sure you know that already. I heard LED panels are very sharp and bright but I don't trust them yet... it's based on LCD tech isn't it? I just gotta have plasma

Time is coming though. I am hoping to get a new plasma within a year, depending on how things go with my wallet it could happen right now or sometime early next year. I am sooooooooooo behind with plasma tech these days so I need to do some researching!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Some important info I have found recently. There *ARE* picture quality differences depending on what brand and model of the video card you get. I was right..... cheap cards vs high-end cards there's PQ difference. See link below:

ATi Vs. nVidia

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HQV/HQV_2.0/8.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3973/n...force-gt-430/4

Yep, ATi still beats the nVidia in 2D video department. And don't go cheap on the video card...

With my own personal video tweaks in the driver and with the right set of hardware and software no wonder I get such great, authentic picture quality in both SD and HD... As some of you may know my video card is ATi Radeon X1950XTX which was the top-of-the-line back in the days.. Well you can't get this now as it's way outdated but there are new models out there that should be just as good if not better.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM

It's good to see you're still alive and kicking Cheeze. Sometimes I come back to this thread just to drool over the pics you posted I eventually purchased the HDMI blade with the intent of going DVI-HDMI from my PC but the blade died (at least that's what I think). Unfortunately there is no way to test the blade without purchasing another. I should have just bought the DVI the first time because now they are hard to find.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post

It's good to see you're still alive and kicking Cheeze. Sometimes I come back to this thread just to drool over the pics you posted I eventually purchased the HDMI blade with the intent of going DVI-HDMI from my PC but the blade died (at least that's what I think). Unfortunately there is no way to test the blade without purchasing another. I should have just bought the DVI the first time because now they are hard to find.

Any thoughts?

Oops... sorry for the 8 month late reply.. I don't even remember what brand and model plasma you got. Did you get a Pio pro plasma? I know that DVI blade for Panny 7UY, 8UK, 9UK are all virtually impossible to get now... unless you find one used or something.

Yes, DVI is a must, or HDMI, but make sure you get 1:1 pixel map running. Part of the reason why my pictures look so crisp, sharp, and authentic is due to 1:1 pixel mapping, plus my Panny 7UY is known to have pixel sharp pictures. Each pixel lit very bright which also adds more sharp looking picture to it as well. DVI also provides cleaner whites and they are virtually perfectly even across the screen compare to RGB VGA cables or anything analog. The DVI with right setup will transform this TV into super plasma. These TV's have potential. Do not underestimate.

Let me remind to a few of you that there are only a few TV's with right setup making SD contents look so sharp.

Old Panny Pro plasma + DVI-D cable + ATi card + 1:1 pixel mapping + right kind of video playback software will give razor sharp pictures when playing following SD contents:

- 1024 x 576
- 800 x 450
- 720 x 480
- 640 x 480
- 640 x 352

Use Media Player Classic or / and old version of Elecard MPEG Player (version 4.x) which will not apply any smooth pixel or line filtering when viewing low res videos. Of course the video source needs to be raw too. Upon close inspection the picture will look pixelated, or will see jagged lines or rough edges. But if you sit and view 6 or 10 ft or farther away (your typical viewing distance) the pictures will look very sharp. It gives you the illusion that you are watching a high def razor sharp pictures. Did you think some of the SD screenshots look good because they were taken pictures?? Hell no. They really do look sharp in real time viewing on a plasma. This is something some of you may overlook or not realize this important key fact. I doubt Pioneer pro plasma has the ability to view contents in such way.... unless it has some special settings on the TV that will disable smooth filtering. On most typical TV's used by general public, the pictures will look soft and blurry when viewing such low res content videos as listed above.

Will it give you same sharp or sharper pictures when viewing 720P and 1080i/p? Hell yes. Didn't you see the screenshots of blu-ray and 1080i drama videos? It's a win win situation, win no matter what res you play.

Anyways, my Panny 7UY is running strong like tank, not one single problem. The reliability is amazing on this panel, just amazing... How old is this thing now??? 7 years old???? I guess you could say this is my "long term personal review". The two handles attached to the plasma panel is amazingly strong and study. The weight of the plasma is 95 lbs. Each handle is holding 47.5 lbs of weight hanging on the wall for over 6 1/2 years. This is a tank.

The total number of wax and buffing applied on the 7UY is 7 times. The anti-glare coating on the outer glass is nearly gone, which is making my plasma to bring out clearer pictures it seems. It's clear and breeze, like looking out the window. Oh yeah, during day time with window curtains open you can't watch well due to reflections... that's what the curtains are for to close them. LMFAO

The outer glass is so smooth it's slippery. There is zero number of scratches or chips, nothing.

I can't notice any brightness loss of my plasma. I use about 5 hours a day. I have owned it for 6.5 years now? The black level seem better now than before. There appears to be no visual loss of contrast or punchness. Same razor sharp looking pictures.

Don't buy cheap ass ATi video card.. They don't last very long. My $500 ATi Radeon X1950 video card is still running in perfect condition, not a single problem. The rest of my PC hardware are all good except that I had to change out the power supply as it has served its time and had to retire.

So you can say I have a very solid, reliable setup. Am I looking to "replace" my 7UY in the future? Not anytime soon. Maybe 5 or 10 years later. Am I looking to "add" another plasma? Pretty likely, it won't replace my 7UY as it's golden.... super king of the king plasmas. Also note that this is fully made and assembled in Japan. You can't find many plasmas that are made in Japan nowdays... most are made in what.. China? or Mexico?

I have some ultra super duper high quality razor sharp crisp 1080i asian drama videos but I have been lazy to take pictures of them.... I'm getting old. These videos, seriously, surpass a lot of the Blu-ray movies out there. They are unreal.....

Happy viewing!