TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 981 Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

Good good. Understandable.

Why the waxjob by the way?

(I never get to ask that question much to guys.)

And yea, that set up is prettyful. And yea, can't wait for that blu-ray Japanese goodness haha. Very lucky.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...axed+my+plasma
Moderator put it in the archive for me.

It may be stupid to do such thing to a plasma, but at the same time it kept my glass clean and deep glossy. I had some dirty film, sticky stuff on the glass and didn't get cleaned up good, plus more you rub it, it can scratch and lose shininess. So I said what the heck, since I was bored, I might as well wax it and show to the world. A lot of people laughed. it was fun...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 981 Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

It may be stupid to do such thing to a plasma, but at the same time it kept my glass clean and deep glossy. I had some dirty film, sticky stuff on the glass and didn't get cleaned up good, plus more you rub it, it can scratch and lose shininess. So I said what the heck, since I was bored, I might as well wax it and show to the world. A lot of people laughed. it was fun...

Outstanding! I must have missed that thread. You know it has been a while since I had a good belly-laugh reading the forum.

- Rich

(P.S. I will not be waxing my Plasma)

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #183 of 981 Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

That's what we call... " A CLASSIC "
post #184 of 981 Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
RichB, that thread I linked is filled with laughs. It's a must-read.

Thanks for the comments, BruZZi.

Since my 9UK has left the building, my 7UY will take over the job.

TH50PHD7UY with DVI-D
Content: 1080p Blu-Ray

post #185 of 981 Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

The Japanese HD pics will surely come... probably this weekend. For now, here's the Blu-Ray movie Click.

Blu-Ray 1080P

TH50PHD7UY DVI-D

This must be the 7UY's masterpiece.

mmmmmm~~~~~
post #186 of 981 Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

7UY DVI-D

The Last Samurai 1080p blu-ray

World class 7UY portfolio.....

The PQ has improved with the DVI-D connection.

Oh my God, this is gonna turn into a photo elbum book!!
post #187 of 981 Old 01-10-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, some Japanese sweets.....

1080i

TH50PHD7UY

This one is old one... I forgot to post it. This one is on slightly compressed HD, and with SVGA. Still, looks creamy and beautiful tone it has.

post #188 of 981 Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

1) Adam Sandler looks so goofy.

2) Last Samurai looks gorgeous.

3) The Japanese ones are my favies.

^_^

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #189 of 981 Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Cheeze,
Nice pictures again. I heard you're getting the Fujitsu soon, when will this happen? Will we see some comparison of the Fuji and the 7UY? I would love to get my hands on some of your Japanese 1080i source. Would you care to share?

sraksin@yahoo.com

Sam
post #190 of 981 Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma_Plasma View Post

Cheeze,
Nice pictures again. I heard you're getting the Fujitsu soon, when will this happen? Will we see some comparison of the Fuji and the 7UY? I would love to get my hands on some of your Japanese 1080i source. Would you care to share?

sraksin@yahoo.com

Sam

Hi Plasma_Plasma,

I definitely have my mind set on the Fujitsu but getting one won't happen any time soon. I gotta save up some money for a big down payment. So it's gonna be a while. I'm still finding out if I can also get discount on the Fujitsu product since I'm officially working for the Fujifilm.

I would gladly help you getting some of my Japanese HD video files. Some of them are huge, it's 12~ 14 GB each. I've got small ones too so I can send some of those to you. I'll give you a link to a site where you can download the software for sharing files. Another way is to actually send the discs to you. I'll PM you shortly.
post #191 of 981 Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

7UY w/ DVI-D

TvTokyo

1440x1080i MPEG2-TS 25 Mbps

God Dang.......

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DVI-D connection definitely helps. The pictures are now dead-on close to the level of the 9UK w/ DVI-D. I think with the pro ISF calibration this thing will go through the roof.
post #192 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Blu-Ray movie: Crank

Pics taken during daylight and you can see some reflection. It is actually brighter than what it looks in the room in the pics.

Let me say it again. To those who don't read, these pictures were taken during the "DAY". It is not the same as taking pics/watching at night or dark room.

These were taken at NIGHT.

post #193 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Man...those are some fantastic pictures. Tell me why you need 1080P on the 50"?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #194 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hey caeguy thanks... Don't really need 1080P.. this TV is serving me so well.. The other day I showed this movie to my family and friends and they literally dropped their jaws.
post #195 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

These pics show you how long Panasonic has been leading in plasma tech....
Excellent Cheez!!!

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #196 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, thanks!! Elemental1.
post #197 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Cheez,

Are you getting full 1080p with your HTPC output?
I have read a lot about issues playing true 1080p from a PC.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #198 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yea Elemental1, I'm getting 1080p digital signal from the Blu-ray source. It runs exactly the same as the 9UK. I'm using DVI connection and is full digital.

Only when I'm in PC desktop the res is locked at 1366 x 768 but when I initiate the Blu-Ray player the high def 1920x1080p is fed and output to my 7UY.

The SVGA and DVI-D works for me. I have tried it on SVGA on both displays and it works. Same should apply to HDMI.
post #199 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Cheez...great shots...

I would be curious to see a comparison between the DVD of Devil Wears Prada and the Blu-Ray from a normal viewing distance to see if the 1080p source material really makes a difference. Do you feel as though you notice a significant difference between HD broadcast/DVD/BD at normal viewing distance?

FYI, if you want to totally complete your HTPC you can buy the Xbox360 HD-DVD add-on for <$200 and use it as an external USB 2.0 drive or crack the enclosure, get a mini-ata to ide133 adapter and put it in your tower. Looks great though and you're seriously making me reconsider the LCD vs. Plasma debate....grrr...haha
post #200 of 981 Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

Hey Cheez...great shots...

I would be curious to see a comparison between the DVD of Devil Wears Prada and the Blu-Ray from a normal viewing distance to see if the 1080p source material really makes a difference. Do you feel as though you notice a significant difference between HD broadcast/DVD/BD at normal viewing distance?

Thanks Manchild.
Well, first of all, with full HD resolutions of 1920x1080 I can see more details. It's not only the viewing distance that determines PQ. On a standard def, if you are watching a close-up's of a human face viewing at 6' distance you will see that the human face is well displayed without pixelations especially the contour lines. On a true high def, if you do the same, not only will you see a sharper image but also you get to see skin pores and bumps. The skin pores and bumps are sharp too. More and deeper textures will be seen as well. Furthermore, if you run standard DVD or SD you will see big loss of details when subject is far away in the scene. With HD, you will gain details of those little objects that are far away. Watching a football game or soccer for example, looking at the players in the field. In any case you will likely to see the details from High def at any viewing distance. They just look different, more defined, unless you are 20~ 30 ft away.

Generally the SD videos have "softer" picture. The electronic devices such as the video processor that use some filtering to "smooth out" the pixelated images. If you don't mind soft, more like a little blurry images then SD digital may suit you fine. But for me, I need "that" sharp, crispy, wet, detailed, and clean looking picture. High quality video processor with good panny glass and high def video source will do just fine.

Another thing to note... is that there are also variety of video qualities in 1080p group. Some are crappy looking 1080p than other 1080p's. Some blu-ray movies are encoded in MPEG2 with low data bit rates. That will affect the PQ as well. The Blu-ray Devil Wears Prada is encoded at only 18 Mbps MPEG2. Generally when you get into 25~ 40 Mbps is where you get some serious PQ. The benefit here is the increased video rendering and color depth, also help remove graphical artifacts. If the standard DVD has high bitrate for the Devil Wears Prada the color rendering may come close, or even better than the Blu-ray, but once again, the you will still lose detail with the standard DVD.

Quote:

FYI, if you want to totally complete your HTPC you can buy the Xbox360 HD-DVD add-on for <$200 and use it as an external USB 2.0 drive or crack the enclosure, get a mini-ata to ide133 adapter and put it in your tower. Looks great though and you're seriously making me reconsider the LCD vs. Plasma debate....grrr...haha

Yes i know...... Other people have suggested the same thing before, but I to be honest, I hate HD-DVD. I have this *hatred* with that format. It's a long story.... I might set it up at my family's home since it's cheap but......

Another thing is that the HD-DVD is limited in data capacity so it can't keep up with the Blu-ray... That uncompressed PCM digital audio and massive size of MPEG2 at 40 Mbps will not fit in HD-DVD.... the only way to get around it is to use something like VC-1 or MPEG4 or the like.. and that's just the video part. Not sure if they can cramp in the highest quality audio in there. The Blu-ray has more potential for gradually improving the picture and sound quality. The HD-DVD is already all worked out, but the blu-ray is just warming up. Of course that is not the reason why I dislike HD-DVD but...... a long story.
post #201 of 981 Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hahaha...fair enough...I just hope you weren't touched in the pants but an evil MS-employee pushing HD-DVD on the innocent bystanders. With respect to the HD-DVD/BD ongoing debate I would certainly agree that Blu-Ray has the better technology, unfortunately I'm concerned that this might go the way of Betamax purely because disc producers (studios or distributors) have to install all-new equipment to produce BD disks as opposed to "more" simple upgrades to the production lines for HD-DVD. I really think we'll see Blu-Ray shine when, as you said, there is some consistency in the video codec (only talking video, audio is a whole 'nother mess). I personally like the VC-1 codec image quality which is why my eye has been more drawn to HD-DVD lately than BD. However, I'm really anxious to see a Blu-Ray VC-1 encode where they use all their extra space for a higher bitrate than what the HD-DVDs currently employ. Unfortunately a lot of the PQ difference is personal opinion until we're able to compare apples and apples. MPEG2 vs. VC-1 vs. H-264, etc etc all have unique benefits and costs. So long as you're happy with your PQ, don't change a thing...hehe.

In hindsight I realize my initial question was errantly constructed. Of course you'd notice a difference in the better material (1080p vs. 480i/p or 720p), I think what would be interesting is to hook up your BD player to your 9UK and a new 50PF9UK (1920x1080p native) and see if there is a discernable distance. At 6 feet I think you might be able to tell a ::slight:: difference between the panels, but beyond that (call it 7ft+ viewing distance) I'd be willing to bet that your PHD9UK would look just as good as the PF9UK.

In case anyone is interested I've attached a viewing graph that basically displays screen size vs. viewing distance. If you're above a colored-line you're eye is considered to be "saturated" if you will and unable to perceive any greater detail. So for the 50" panel, at 7ft, you are just above the green "1080i/p HDTV" line, implying that your eye can certainly discern between 1080i/p and 720p (teal line, which we are under) and 480p (red line, which we are under).
LL
post #202 of 981 Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yea Manchild, I do agree with being not as much different when using 768p panel vs 1080p panel viewing 1080p/i video contents. There's only slight increase in defined details with the 1080p panel but like you've said it'll become more subjective.. I like the picture difference obtained by using high def 1080p content rather than 480p. I see it is much more video content-dependent rather than the number of physical resolutions of the panels. I see we both agree on that. They say you feed "good stuff" and you get "good stuff" outta its azz.

I remember seeing that graph you linked. Nice link.

We also see that the VC-1/AVC/MPEG4 will likely be the future of codecs since they are much more efficient. MPEG2 is so ancient... but well matured. I'm sure same will happen with the VC-1 and other codecs as we both agree.
post #203 of 981 Old 01-27-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I bought Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-ray today. wow.... it's worth watching. It is a solid movie.... and Eva Green plays in it.

Kingdom of Heaven

1920x1080p 24Mbps MPEG2 BD-50

post #204 of 981 Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

post #205 of 981 Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

This is a 3-hour movie so more screenshots...

The pics below were taken during bright daylight.

post #206 of 981 Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

That's right, thats' right!!!!
2004 plasma tech showing how it's done!

[Those poor LCD guys]

My HT

post #207 of 981 Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

The more I see these pics and such the more I feel as though waiting for a 1080p panel is a waste...particularly since almost all "affordable" flat panels (LCD or Plasma) are <55" which means you'd theoretically only notice a difference from a viewing distance of 7ft...almost any room I've been in I'm that distance, if not more...9UK here I come maybe? Or perhaps Pio5070 or pro1140hd....choices choices!
post #208 of 981 Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I wonder if your fantastic screenshots are due to HTPC. Have you ever compared say a Bluray standalone player against your PC player?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #209 of 981 Old 01-29-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Manchild, yea, I too think the 768p panels have plenty of life in high def world. I wouldn't mind having a 1080p plasma but this panel is serving me too good.

caeguy, good question.... I don't know. Most of the stores have crappy setup so it's hard for me to judge really good. I don't know how good of scaler and video processing chips they use on external BD players but I can proudly say that I am damn impressed with my ATi X1950XTX video card with DVI-D connection. The detail and pixel accuracy is insane...... I was used to SVGA connection before but this made my 7UY plasma TV to take one step higher in PQ.

Btw, screenshots added, and in the previous post...

post #210 of 981 Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

All these pics make me wonder what Legolas would look like in Hi-Def.

The day I watch all three of the Rings trilogy... it will be on HD on a big ass plasma

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page