TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
meow meow

ok,

First, those who have not read about my recently purchased Panny TH50PH9UK, please click Here. That link shows my 9UK pre-setup and some screenshots.

And my old TH50PHD7UY has been sitting on two pedestals pillers(see the pic below), which I knew is not safe.

So I had to do something about it........ I took it off.

and waxed it again... the 7UY that is.

Time to get some tools out. No hammer needed, just a screwdriver, a tepe measure, and a leveler, and this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
oh btw I buffed off the wax on my 7UY's screen... and polished it. That's 4th layer of coating now.

Time to measure the TV, its handles, and the wall.

and screw in....... 70 lbs of vertical pressure can be handled each.

Did the same thing on the other end so there are two.

post #3 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Time to hang. Precision my friend... precision.

The backside of the panel is evenly touching the wall. Came out just perfect.

Finished Product. 7UY is hung!! Congratulate me YaY!~

Oh.... my...... God. That is so *pretty*. It looks prefessional now.

post #4 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hung my 9UK as well.

My $2000 parts came the other day, for my new HTPC so I can hook em to both my plasmas. That's not counting my 3 high-end 10k rpm Sata Raptor raid hard drives.

The processor is Intel Conroe E6600 and the video card is the almighty ATi Radeon X1950XTX 512 CrossFire and has dual dual-link DVI out.

The pic shows inserting my new Panasonic DVI-D blade into the 9UK's slot.

The high-end BetterCable DVI-D cable will be connecting to the 9UK's DVI-D blade.

The ultra high-end BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA(UXGA) cable which I bought a year and half ago will be connecting to the 7UY's VGA input.

post #5 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Good news is that my ATi Radeon X1950XTX does deliver 1366 x 768 through both DVI-D on the 9UK, 1:1 pixel mapping.

The text quality is *awesome* on the 9UK with DVI.

The text quality is *quite good* on the 7UY with SVGA, but not quite as good as the 9UK w/ DVI-D. I'm very happy with the results. Both are great.

Setting up Clone-mode with full graphics support(H.264, VC-1, .TS, MPEG4, and high res PC games) on both monitors.

post #6 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 10:15 AM

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Looks great!
post #7 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Looks great!

thanks Scrib.

These pics are for testing.. to make sure they work properly with the clone feature as well as the independent display settings. Works good.. I love it.

I will clean up the wiring later on.
post #8 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Hope you take them down as soon as you've finished taking your pictures. As a farce this is hilarious but someone might actually try this themselves. As for yourself, at least you'll have a backup (for a little while) when one of them falls off the wall.

In case you don't realize it, just one failure of these weak mounting points will cause total failure:

- Two drywall anchors won't support that weight for long, especially with other holes drilled around that anchor.

- Those 59 cent coat hooks will snap in two any time now.

- The plastic handles are not a mounting point capable of supporting the full weight long term.

Flat panel mounts are engineered for this purpose. They are not optional. Also, the back of your panel should have some clearance for heat dissipation.
post #9 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatersoft View Post

Hope you take them down as soon as you've finished taking your pictures. As a farce this is hilarious but someone might actually try this themselves. As for yourself, at least you'll have a backup (for a little while) when one of them falls off the wall.

In case you don't realize it, just one failure of these weak mounting points will cause total failure:

- Two drywall anchors won't support that weight for long, especially with other holes drilled around that anchor.

- Those 59 cent coat hooks will snap in two any time now.

- The plastic handles are not a mounting point capable of supporting the full weight long term.

Flat panel mounts are engineered for this purpose. They are not optional. Also, the back of your panel should have some clearance for heat dissipation.

I doubt it.

The Screw-in Anchors screw through the dry wall and snap in to keep in place with the down pressure of 70 lbs each and pull pressure of 40 lbs. That's 140 lbs of weight the two can handle. The TV weighs 95 lbs (the 9UK weighs 81 lbs). They more than strong enough to handle. These are the same screw anchors used on a 120 lb mirror for hanging on the wall. Talk about who *didn't* realize.

It's not a 59 cent hook. Those are solid metal hooks with high strength. Those are more than strong enough to take weight of each side of the plasma.

The handles on the plasmas are fine. They are more than strong enough to handle the weight. That's why these are mounted on there. One thing I would admit though, is that the handles on the plasma are not appropriate way of mounting. They are meant for *handling* the TV, not to use them as to hang the TV. So I'll say this. The readers should not try this at home. You are taking the risk of the possibility of the handle could fail and TV endup falling off. I should mention this in my first post but.... oh well. Everything else is fine. They are able to handle such pressure. Now you can go sit, you little prick..
post #10 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatersoft View Post

- Two drywall anchors won't support that weight for long, especially with other holes drilled around that anchor..

, there are *no* other holes drilled around the anchor. Only the large anchor screws into the wall. You don't even pay attention and trying to find the way to pick on things.

Quote:

Wrong again. Obviously you don't know much about how the panasonic commercial panels are designed on the backside. The ventilated holes are located behind the front bazel, at the top of the TV. That's where the hot air release. Plus the ambient room temp is fairly cool. It's not even like there are bunch of electronic components or furnace right next to the TV anyways.
post #11 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
lighten up Cheeze

Pics look good though: you finally wall mounted it
post #12 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

They look good - that's quite a setup. Now that they're driven from the same source do your previous observations still hold true?
post #13 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Rich. Now with my high-end ATi card with dual outs, I can make better comparisons in visual. I'm seeing that in HD, I can't tell the difference in clarity and sharpness though in text quality, the 9UK is a little better because of DVI. The colors, yes, it clearly shows that the 7UY is more vibrant(or vivid). The 9UK is more natural, less vivid. The textures in HD seem about the same between the two. But in SD movies the 9UK does do better than my 7UY. I get more textures and details in the medium to dark scenes. But I am impressed that how well the 7UY with SVGA holds against the 9UK. Though I need to take more time and view them and compare them. I'll do some more tweaking and see what I can find. But I tell you this though.. when I watch videos my eyes tend to go to my 7UY and not the 9UK. I don't know why

but i remember, in the past, that the 7UY was a tad more clear and sharper when using SVGA on either of plasmas with the same laptop, viewing at different times. my laptop doesn't have DVI..
post #14 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

But I tell you this though.. when I watch videos my eyes tend to go to my 7UY and not the 9UK. I don't know why

i think part of the reason would be if you take the same image and resolution, and put it on a larger display( the 9uk) it will tend to look a little worse. basicaly you are making the image larger, sort of zooming in. correct me if i am wrong, but the bigger you go, the more resolution you need.
post #15 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

suzoo11, both displays are 50".

TH50PHD7UY = 50"
TH50PH9UK = 50"
post #16 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

suzoo11, both displays are 50".

TH50PHD7UY = 50"
TH50PH9UK = 50"

, boy do i feel stupid!, just a quick question, does the ati support hdcp?
post #17 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 PM
VFR
AVS Special Member

Those load ratings are based on 5/8" drywall.Do you have 5/8" drywall?Just a thought.
Looks much better though.
post #18 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 PM

why would you wax the panel, is that a good way to clean it or something? sorry if this is a dumb question.
post #19 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny7481 View Post

why would you wax the panel, is that a good way to clean it or something? sorry if this is a dumb question.

Don't try this at home kids!
post #20 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor View Post

Don't try this at home kids!

i wouldnt, but i will mount my plasma with wall anchors
post #21 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You're not married right? If you were I guess wife would be saying, now what are you up to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response guys.

yea suzook, the Ati x1900 series support HDCP. Also some of the high-end nVidia cards support that as well.

Yes the drywall I got here is thicker.

I wax it coz I'm weird. Some people know me that i'm weird.. I just love that glare.. I like glossy and reflectie pictures.

Hey Rich, I take it back what I said about the SD performance between the two TVs. With this new card I didn't actually get to test out SD DVD movies, just the HD ones. I ran the SD DVD movie Star Wars: Last Episode and I was stunned, by the performance of the 7UY. In real-time viewing experience I see the black levels and details in the dark on the 7UY is dead on close to the 9UK. I never expected this. I didn't think that going with the high-end ATi card would make the difference. I took some screenshots to get a feel of what they're like.

7UY on the left. 9UK on the right.

Both TVs are from exact same standard setting from the HTPC. And the settings from both TVs themselves are exactly the same. The only difference is that the 7UY is using the SVGA(UXGA) cable and the 9UK is using DVI-D cable.

Now I realized how CRAP the built-in nVidia GeForce Go7400 on the laptop performed. It's a night and day difference. With this ATi card I'm seeing so much more detail and deeper tone of the colors and quality.

I also noticed that the 7UY has *slight* amount of red push. The 9UK doesn't seem to have it. However if there is green, like grass in the outdoor for example, when it's wet (rainy day), the 7UY pushes green better. The grass looks more like "wet-look". I really love that feeling. The 9UK is known to have more natural color, which is fine, but in some cases it's a little too boring. There is no excitement in the picture. The 7UY has more of lively colors, a bit more vibrant. I like that. This is subjective, of course...

yea if I'm married I wouldn't be able to get another plasma unless if my future wife is an AV enthusiast.
post #23 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
pq looks damn near identical. Why the need for two pretty close performing displays ?
post #24 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

pq looks damn near identical. Why the need for two pretty close performing displays ?

I thought the 9UK will be a huge donkie jump. That was the impression I have been getting from people. and I had faith, that considering this is Two gen up, would be a monster performer and would perform 40% better, but it's not. I actually like way the 7UY performs in HD. My eye balls more often move toward the 7UY than the 9UK. The colors are more pleasing to my eye balls.
post #25 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 PM

maybe the colors look better due to the more reflective glass?
post #26 of 981 Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

looking good cheezer. and that new pc is smoking too, congrats. more pics........

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #27 of 981 Old 10-09-2006, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

maybe the colors look better due to the more reflective glass?

i'm not sure, but I think it's the electronics behind the glass making the difference more. One thing I'm also surprised to see is that the Picture levels(Contrast) on the 7UY, which is very crucial, is just as strong as the 9UK. The only difference is the increased "brightness" on the 9UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

looking good cheezer. and that new pc is smoking too, congrats. more pics........

thanks dssturbo1. Yea I'll be posting more pics... I may have to take shots on one at a time so more details can be seen. I love my new PC.. it's running at 3 ghz now with the memory tweaked. I'm gonna play some games on it too.
post #28 of 981 Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Here is one pretty pic.... for 9UK.

TH50PH9UK
post #29 of 981 Old 10-12-2006, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

TH50PHD7UY w/ SVGA

TH50PH9UK w/ DVI-D

TH50PHD7UY w/ SVGA

TH50PH9UK w/ DVI-D

Really really close call.
post #30 of 981 Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Things get intense now.

9UK fights back.. with vengence.

TH50PH9UK

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page