post #181 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Thanks for the photos so far, Jack. Bummer about the wall mount. Looking forward to more pics and your impressions. Thanks!

Well at least no one else who checks in here needs to make that mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, someone asked about the dimensions of the outer box:

HxWxD 44 1/4 x 66 x 10.
post #183 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Must resist from purchasing a 65" Panny....I know whats coming next year.....must resist

I know it will be something better. Things usually tend to improve. But having been caught in the waiting game myself, how much of an improvement can we expect? If it's mimimal to barely discernible, I'd just as soon enjoy what today's sets have to offer.

If I was sure that the "Holy Grail" (AKA a 65" SED at a price close to today's 65" plasmas) was going to be released in Quarter 1 or if my current set was giving me the PQ I want, I'd wait. At what point does waiting for the next best thing/upgrade reach the point of ridiculousness?
post #184 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

I know it will be something better. Things usually tend to improve. But having been caught in the waiting game myself, how much of an improvement can we expect? If it's mimimal to barely discernible, I'd just as soon enjoy what today's sets have to offer.

If I was sure that the "Holy Grail" (AKA a 65" SED at a price close to today's 65" plasmas) was going to be released in Quarter 1 or if my current set was giving me the PQ I want, I'd wait. At what point does waiting for the next best thing/upgrade reach the point of ridiculousness?

I know you have been waiting a long time for the 65--as long as I have if not longer. I remember seeing your posts from a year ago. Didn't you already pull the trigger on the consumer 65 1080p? I just had to shut out that thread--too much information and confusion.
post #185 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

As you guys can tell I'm just jittery with that big thing sitting in the middle of my room and nothing I can do to get it up and running. So I just keep posting here.

A question: I would be more than happy to take a few shots of the screen image (once it's hooked up) but I do not know how to do it in a way that can give a really good idea of the PQ. Anyone have suggestions?
post #186 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Oh, someone asked about the dimensions of the outer box:

HxWxD 44 1/4 x 66 x 10.

Congrats on your new set. Thanks for taking the time to measure the box, appreciate it.
post #187 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemeterio5 View Post

Congrats on your new set. Thanks for taking the time to measure the box, appreciate it.

Are you thinking of trying to fit one in your SUV? Otherwise who cares how big the box is?
post #188 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Are you thinking of trying to fit one in your SUV? Otherwise who cares how big the box is?

It will be in the garage for a while until I get someone to help me mount it on a stand. Our garage has limited space, need to know if it fits there so that I don't have to pay extra for getting it inside the house. I'm sure my wife does not want to see this big box sitting inside the house.
post #189 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

Funny that you ask. If you ever want to sell it or repair it, you need to keep the box. I discovered that it does not fit in my attic and my basement is finished. Right now it is sitting near the pool table. I have an overhead rack in my garage where it will end up going.

3 or us carried one up a set of stairs at my friends house. No way would it have gone up there in the box. See all the reasons

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #190 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemeterio5 View Post

It will be in the garage for a while until I get someone to help me mount it on a stand. Our garage has limited space, need to know if it fits there so that I don't have to pay extra for getting it inside the house. I'm sure my wife does not want to see this big box sitting inside the house.

OK, yeah I guess we are all in the same boat. You have to keep the box but where to put it? I was hoping it would break down flat but it doesn't look like you can do that without major surgery.
post #191 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Funny that you ask. If you ever want to sell it or repair it, you need to keep the box. I discovered that it does not fit in my attic and my basement is finished. Right now it is sitting near the pool table. I have an overhead rack in my garage where it will end up going.

3 or us carried one up a set of stairs at my friends house. No way would it have gone up there in the box. See all the reasons

- Rich

Yeah. Correct. I haven't even thought about where to put the box. Nor do I really want to. I'll figure something out but first I have got to get this baby up and running. Luckily (?) my wife is not around to have to put up with the mess that is now my living room. I just left all the stuff sitting there so that I can pick up where I left off in the installation process once the friggin' proper wall mount arrives.
post #192 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Congrats on the arrival Jack.

Maybe a full view of the back someday...I sure would like to see the mount holes in more detail as I will be making some connections to those in order to lift mine.

Bob
post #193 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I know you have been waiting a long time for the 65--as long as I have if not longer. I remember seeing your posts from a year ago. Didn't you already pull the trigger on the consumer 65 1080p? I just had to shut out that thread--too much information and confusion.

Yes, you remembered correctly. And, yes, I did buy the consumer 65 inch. I'm quite happy with it and happy I'm not waiting another year for whatever's coming next. (If next year's sets are that incredible I can always trade or sell my new set.) I read this thread to get the insider info on the commercial set and see how it compares to the consumer. And right now, you and assJack1 are the "Insiders!"
post #194 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Congrats on the arrival Jack.

Maybe a full view of the back someday...I sure would like to see the mount holes in more detail as I will be making some connections to those in order to lift mine.

Bob

Bob,
I'm happy to snap another shot but I'm not sure what exactly you want. Which mount hole do you mean? You intend to do a wall mount?
post #195 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob,
I'm happy to snap another shot but I'm not sure what exactly you want. Which mount hole do you mean? You intend to do a wall mount?

It is my understanding that there are two vertical rows of three holes, ie one vertical row on each side of the set. These are the main bracketing holes that are used to attach the mount....I think. Are there other holes that the mount attaches to or just those six.

Thanks,
Bob
post #196 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Incorrect. The ANSI contrast ratio of the Panasonic 9th gen plasmas are 740:1 per HT Magazine. The 6th gen Pioneer Elite 1130 has an ANSI contrast ratio of 1135:1. The Panasonic 8th gen plasmas have a ANSI contrast ratio of 364:1. So, the 9th gen has doubled their ANSI ratio but it still does not compare to the Pioneer's.

Well brother, I don't know what the ANSI CR is but from what I've heard around here the Pannys have better black levels but the Pios have more vivid color. You know, whatever; it's very subjective. The prob with the Pios is that they are so friggin' expensive. Is the PQ so much better to justify such a price premium?
post #197 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

It is my understanding that there are two vertical rows of three holes, ie one vertical row on each side of the set. These are the main bracketing holes that are used to attach the mount....I think. Are there other holes that the mount attaches to or just those six.

Thanks,
Bob

No, just those six holes--three on each side. Check out the attached photo with the wall mount braces attached just under the handles. No other option for wall mounting. There are those four holes on each side above the fans/etc but they don't seem to be useful for wall mounting.
LL
post #198 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jack....that gives me a better feel for what I will need to do for my custom lift bracket.

Bob
post #199 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well brother, I don't know what the ANSI CR is but from what I've heard around here the Pannys have better black levels but the Pios have more vivid color. You know, whatever; it's very subjective. The prob with the Pios is that they are so friggin' expensive. Is the PQ so much better to justify such a price premium?

I guess I would say that all depends on the models and prices involved.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #200 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice Jack! Now the fun really begins!
post #201 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Well brother, I don't know what the ANSI CR is but from what I've heard around here the Pannys have better black levels but the Pios have more vivid color.

Do you always believe what you hear? I think what you have "heard" is dated information.

Quote:

The prob with the Pios is that they are so friggin' expensive. Is the PQ so much better to justify such a price premium?

You just dropped 9 grand on a Panasonic plasma. I find your comment odd based on that.

Now, can you post more pictures of your baby with...perhaps....something beside it to give us more visual data on how large that beast is?
post #202 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you always believe what you hear? I think what you have "heard" is dated information.

You just dropped 9 grand on a Panasonic plasma. I find your comment odd based on that.

Now, can you post more pictures of your baby with...perhaps....something beside it to give us more visual data on how large that beast is?

Come on man! Give me a break! I'm not a moron. Of course I don't believe everything I hear, including what you say. I've had two generations of Pannys and the PQ is really beautiful and got better with the later gen. I really don't care if there is a marginally better PQ with PIOs. I still don't think it justifies the price difference. True, I just dropped a bundle but I would have had to drop a double bundle to get a Pio of the same size.

Yeah I was trying to think of how to take a shot to give an idea of just how big this boy is. As I said, I had done all the measurements, etc but when I saw it I was just shocked. It's a monster. I'm watching the ball game now. I'll try to post some more pictures a bit later if I can think of a way to frame them so you can get a better idea of the dimensions of the beast.
post #203 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

I think we are at the point where the volume product is the consumer version. The professional series is for different markets. Personally, I hope this changes.

Concerning 10000:1, have you seen Panasonic specification with this number or just the VA web site?

- Rich

I thought it was previously established that both panels have the same CR and it was simply how Panasonic was stating it in one set of specs vs the other.
post #204 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Jack, the Panasonics do generally have the best black levels, but that doesn't mean a given Pioneer can't have a better CR. The Pioneers are brighter displays than the Panasonics and achieve their higher CRs with the brighter whites. Remember you can raise CR by either lowering black levels, raising white levels or both.
post #205 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps. As you know the HT Magazine review showed better black levels than many of us were expecting, .012FL.

The Perfect Vision just completed a review of the Pioneer 4270 and were not complementary concerning its black levels. They were described as average measuring .047 FL and not as good as the best performing Plasmas. I would prefer to see these Plasmas measured by the same publication for constancy, but I think there is room for doubt.

I have no doubt that Pioneers excel in color reproduction, de-interlacing, scaling. Black Levels?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #206 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Yes, the 0.012 "Off" contrast ratio is superb, but let's take a look at when it will actually come into play:

Completely blank screen - Definately....Panasonic currently holds the crown
Dark scenes where there isn't a lot of white or bright colors - Yep the Panasonic has a slight edge on the Pioneer.
Space scenes - Nope. That would bring the ANSI ratio into play.
Letterbox movies - Nope. ANSI again
4:3 content - Nope. ANSI.

So, the lesson here is that 0.012 is great, but it's only superior with select material.

Last year, the Philps plasma held the crown for best absolute black level (0.019). How many people said the blacks were significantly better than the PX50/500 series (0.027) or the Pioneer Elite (0.033)?
post #207 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the 0.012 "Off" contrast ratio is superb, but let's take a look at when it will actually come into play:

Completely blank screen - Definately....Panasonic currently holds the crown
Dark scenes where there isn't a lot of white or bright colors - Yep the Panasonic has a slight edge on the Pioneer.

So, the lesson here is that 0.012 is great, but it's only superior with select material.

Last year, the Philps plasma held the crown for best absolute black level (0.019). How many people said the blacks were significantly better than the PX50/500 series (0.027) or the Pioneer Elite (0.033)?

To each his own. ANSI does not do it for me. I watch plenty of movies, broadcast HD, and HD DVDs where I long for better black levels. What you say is true but only to a degree. If you want maximum ANSI contrast, no problem buy and LCD

Anyway, enough OT stuff.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #208 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To each his own. ANSI does not do it for me. I watch plenty of movies, broadcast HD, and HD DVDs where I long for better black levels. What you say is true but only to a degree. If you want maximum ANSI contrast, no problem buy and LCD

Anyway, enough OT stuff.

- Rich

I agree with your sentiments here, black level is everything, I have no use for high ANSI contrast.

My LCD panel has great ANSI contrast and poor blacks, where as my CRT RTV has great blacks and poor ANSI contrast. No contest as to which I prefer.

Quote:

I can't agree that ANSI contrast is more important then black level for those scenes, especially space scenes.
If blacks are not truly black in space scenes, the illusion of space is lost, and the image lacks depth.
Letterbox or 4:3 content is no different to any other content. Both have dark scenes where blacks are vital.

I am interested in the Panasonic, but black level will probably be a reason for me to reject it as an option. .012 is poor as far as I am concerned, although it would be tolerable with bias lighting. I would prefer a black level more then ten times lower.
post #209 of 1469 Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, those 2:35 DvD's must be nicer to watch compared to the smaller plasmas. Anybody know the approx height in inches those play at on the 65"?

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #210 of 1469 Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JackD:

Have you had a chance to play with the 1:1 mapping yet? That's accessable only with the DVI blade. Interested in what you think.

I played with inHD's tune-up show that I recorded a while back. It's a nice start, but I want more hours on the set before doing more cal.

One last thing, for ESPN and similar channels, right now I am intentionally overscanning the display to cut off the tickers. I'll do this for a little while longer - because a significant portion of my viewing is ESPN,FOX, ect...

Indeed the box and TV are huge. Way bigger, it seems, then the mock up I built.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page